• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

RedSwirl

IGN's main criticism aside from the tech is that they thought the story was weaker than Yakuza 3. Anyone who's played this game want to comment?

The IGN review probably already sold me on the game for informing me that there's actually a pole dancing minigame though.

EDIT: Aw shit this game has Pachinko?! Bought.

The heavy consensus is that Y4 has a stronger story. Lulz at IGN, guess Y4 can't measure up to this month's McFPS with multiplayer perks.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i feel like such a retard but i cant find my hideout, it doesnt show on the map or the choices you get on the map :S

mjc

I think I'm gonna take advantage of that Kmart deal for 3+4. I still have to play through my copies of 1+2 though.

Shadow780

CartridgeBlower said:
Greg Miller seems like the kind of wannabe prankster who would review a game like that just to feed off the fanboy hatemail that will now surely follow.

Which also means he'll be the last person to get fired because he drives hits through the roof.

General Shank-a-snatch said:
That's a pre-order bonus in a couple of countries.

But not in the UK (e.g. Game), right?

I'm thinking of canceling the steelbook edition and ordering the standard version from somewhere cheaper. The DLC is already up in the PS Store for free, so that leaves only the steelbook casing itself which is not at all worth 10-12 £ more ...
They could have at least packed in an OST CD like they did for the Y3 standard edition.

I could also wait for the CE to go down in price but I wanted to support the game on release :/ (I bought Y3 later for cheap because they cut so much stuff).
Doesn't help that I also pre-ordered MS:A which releases on the same day.

^ I wouldn't know about the UK, sorry about that.

Red Blaster said:
The heavy consensus is that Y4 has a stronger story. Lulz at IGN, guess Y4 can't measure up to this month's McFPS with multiplayer perks.

I'm not that far yet, but Yakuza 4 definitely has the worst opening of the series. It picks up the pace soon enough, though.

Yamibito

I'll definitely pick this up when I can, already pre-ordered Motorstorm Apocalypse so getting Yakuza 4 on launch day is unfortunately out of the question, unless I can get £15 in a couple of days. Nice to hear positive impressions from people who got it early as well.

BeeDog

How fleshed out are the roof/underground sections of the city? I don't mind the complete omission of another area, if these extensions of Kamurocho are big.

Yamibito

BeeDog said:
How fleshed out are the roof/underground sections of the city? I don't mind the complete omission of another area, if these extensions of Kamurocho are big.
I would like to know as well, I absolutely loved Okinawa and it's atmosphere, the place just felt so warm and homely.

BeeDog said:

They are pretty big, although they're not as crammed with things to do as the street-level areas. But it helps make it feel even more like a real, cohesive environment.

Hero of Canton said:
They are pretty big, although they're not as crammed with things to do as the street-level areas. But it helps make it feel even more like a real, cohesive environment.
Yes while they nay not be as bustling as the regular areas there is something so awesome about being on the rooftops of Kamurocho and hearing the muffled sounds of street traffic and crowds. Both areas add so damn much to the atmosphere.

Yamibito

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes while they nay not be as bustling as the regular areas there is something so awesome about being on the rooftops of Kamurocho and hearing the muffled sounds of street traffic and crowds. Both areas add so damn much to the atmosphere.
That's awesome! I've been told there are less sub-stories in this one but they're a lot longer, can anyone clarify this?

RedSwirl said:
IGN's main criticism aside from the tech is that they thought the story was weaker than Yakuza 3. Anyone who's played this game want to comment?
That's not possible. I can barely remember anything about Y3's story and I played the game like six months ago. Absolutely shit.

Everything else I've read implies Y4 is a return to form, thankfully.

General Shank-a-snatch said:
^ I wouldn't know about the UK, sorry about that.

I'm not that far yet, but Yakuza 4 definitely has the worst opening of the series. It picks up the pace soon enough, though.

Having not played the game I can't really comment but that's...a bit of a downer. Y3 took ages to get going with its litany of MAKE KIDS HAPPY fetch quests.

Yakuza 4 picks up the pace faster than 3 does, it's just that the beginning of the game is set up in a poor way. There's a lot of slow paced talking about people and things you don't care about, but it isn't so bad that you'd quit playing the game. This is just me being nitpicky, though. Others may disagree.

Besides, I don't think I'm even halfway in the game, so I can't tell if the story overall is better than 3.

androvsky

Red Blaster said:
Having not played the game I can't really comment but that's...a bit of a downer. Y3 took ages to get going with its litany of MAKE KIDS HAPPY fetch quests.

I saw a translation of the Japanese story demo on Youtube (played it myself without knowing for sure what was going on). If you don't mind people talking about thug etiquette for ten minutes, it's a really good opening. It's the kind of thing you'd see in a decent mafia movie, with good dialogue and interesting characters; the problem is for a video game (even for the Yakuza series), it's pretty slow. They're just sitting on a couch talking. I thought it was awesome.

But the shit hits the fan in a major way very quickly compared to Yakuza 3, leaving the demo on a huge cliffhanger. Again, it's good mob movie type stuff.

I found the story stuff gripping, and I think part of the appeal of the Yakuza series is that it fleshes out this background to add plenty of detail, enhancing the richness of the world and of the narrative. The dialogue's really well translated, and the character stuff is interesting. Sure, some people won't like the points when it slows down, but then the Yakuza games aren't for everyone. I personally think it paces itself brilliantly, and rarely do you get a non-interactive cutscene that overstays its welcome.

It certainly moves a little quicker than 3. The very, very start is slow, but once you take control, the pace really picks up. And the first character you play as is great.

Yamibito said:
That's awesome! I've been told there are less sub-stories in this one but they're a lot longer, can anyone clarify this?

Yes, this is true. Each character has a small handful of lengthy side-quests that give quite a lot of experience.

Speaking of pacing, can you do all the optional stuff after the ending like in Y3?
= is the adventure mode (and/or at least the game+ option) back?

Because I have the habit of doing all the optional stuff and quests before continuing with the story so I won't miss anything. I learned late in Y3 that you don't have to worry as there is an extra free-roam mode just for completing everything you missed.

Adventure mode in Y4 would make me focus on the main story. Instead of:
"Very important mission, needs to go immediately to location x to save friend y...
...Spends 5 hours playing baseball and helping kids out."
:D

Though I didn't know there was no new location in Y4... I'm sick of Kamurocho, I simply don't like playing in the same level with the exact same layout in four different games...

SolidusDave said:
Though I didn't know there was no new location in Y4... I'm sick of Kamurocho, I simply don't like playing in the same level with the exact same layout in four different games...

Thinking about it, aren't we pretty much playing the same game repeatedly? With slightly different quests? i.e. fetch something different? They seem to make only minor adjustments besides the story. I appreciate they've added more characters, but when it boils down to it, its just a different attack animation isn't it? That's the impression I had from the demo, it may just be that they become wildly varying when levelled up.

33-Hit-Combo said:
Thinking about it, aren't we pretty much playing the same game repeatedly? With slightly different quests? i.e. fetch something different? They seem to make only minor adjustments besides the story. I appreciate they've added more characters, but when it boils down to it, its just a different attack animation isn't it? That's the impression I had from the demo, it may just be that they become wildly varying when levelled up.

The four fighting styles are very different, especially once you've unlocked all the moves. I do wonder if this kind of structure is the way forward for the franchise; it certainly worked for me.

As for recycling, there's plenty that's familiar, sure, but the engine seems a notch higher on the polish-o-meter than last time, and I think it's easy to say "oh, they've just added a new story" as if it was the simplest thing in the world when it's almost certainly not. There's a bunch of new areas, too, so it's not as if it's just the same place with no differences.

I do think, perhaps, that we're reaching tipping point for the series. Keeping things a certain way for the fans is one thing, but it could well be time for a fresh start - especially as Yakuza 4 pretty much represents the pinnacle of mainline Yakuza games (as well as feeling like a natural end; not that there aren't more stories to tell, mind). Of The End sees Kamurocho lying in ruins, so maybe next time we'll see a new setting. Let's hope so - I think having Okinawa added quite a lot to Yakuza 3, though I was surprised I didn't miss it more than I did while I was playing through this one.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'll definitely be picking this up at some point later in the year. I'm playing through 3 right now and it's pretty incredible. It's easily one of the best ~25 bucks I've ever spent on a game. If it had been a few months since finishing 3, I would be all over this.

I've also learned that if I ever go to Japan, I should be prepared to fight random people on the street.

Hero of Canton said:
The four fighting styles are very different, especially once you've unlocked all the moves. I do wonder if this kind of structure is the way forward for the franchise; it certainly worked for me.

As for recycling, there's plenty that's familiar, sure, but the engine seems a notch higher on the polish-o-meter than last time, and I think it's easy to say "oh, they've just added a new story" as if it was the simplest thing in the world when it's almost certainly not. There's a bunch of new areas, too, so it's not as if it's just the same place with no differences.

I do think, perhaps, that we're reaching tipping point for the series. Keeping things a certain way for the fans is one thing, but it could well be time for a fresh start - especially as Yakuza 4 pretty much represents the pinnacle of mainline Yakuza games (as well as feeling like a natural end; not that there aren't more stories to tell, mind). Of The End sees Kamurocho lying in ruins, so maybe next time we'll see a new setting. Let's hope so - I think having Okinawa added quite a lot to Yakuza 3, though I was surprised I didn't miss it more than I did while I was playing through this one.

The demo certainly didn't sell the fighting well... Considering that's all you got to do in the demo. I just reused the tactics from Kiryu's previous games. I do hope the unlocks do a good job of differentiating them.

I know there are rooftops and underground areas, but others have mentioned they lack a bit in comparison to the street level architecture. The reason I brought up the story was because if they stripped it, the game doesn't appear to be much different from Y3. The story is happening in the same places (with the addition of underground/rooftops). The story isn't driving the gameplay that much is what I'm getting at.

I'm not bashing the game/series, I loved the previous games but I know it when I'm given used goods. Nevertheless I'm buying it, the Yakuza stories are pretty gripping. That and I clocked more hours on Y3 than most of my games.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Hero of Canton said:

Yes a new start for the series in a new town! Ten years later Haruka has got a HEAT gauge of her own! Beating up people for money by day, working as a hostess by night! All in an effort to earn enough money to feed her never ending appetite, long after having milked Kazumas wallet dry!

Holy jeez. Still have to finish 2 and have my copy of 3 in the cellophane from purchasing it on release day. This one will have to wait at least a while.

And… ”Lasting Appeal
There's a ton of stuff to do. You could spend dozens of hours on the side quests. However, I won't because the game mechanics just feel old.”

Holy crap. That’s great stuff right there. IGN does it again!

Eiji

CartridgeBlower said:
These games must be VERY profitable for SEGA considering they reuse so much from game to game.

Considering how much they blew on Shenmue, who can blame them? :(

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Yamibito said:
My guess is that this will be the last "normal" Yakuza game.

I'm under the impression that "Of The End" is the ending game in the franchise, (no pun intended), but eventually Yakuza 5 will serve as a reboot of the series, with a new cast and new story using the recurrent themes such as the location and all the mini-games between.

I am just finishing Yakuza 2. I will play 3 before 4.

So I am torn - do I buy 4 at full price out of principle / to send a signal to Sega that this is how they should do, or do I wait a few months for the inevitable price drop..

hamchan

harriet the spy said:

So I am torn - do I buy 4 at full price out of principle / to send a signal to Sega that this is how they should do, or do I wait a few months for the inevitable price drop..

Well you should choose what benefits yourself as a consumer the most.

harriet the spy said:

As much as I always want to support the developers, I'd play 3 and get 4 later. By the time you get to Yakuza 4 it'll probably be $39.99 or so.

GrayFoxPL

Yamibito said:
My guess is that this will be the last "normal" Yakuza game.

I don't believe it. I think "Of the end" is treated like Kenzan. Kinda side story. Swords - guns, but "real" Yakuza is: "fists". I hope they make Black Panther PS3 or Yakuza Origins with young Kiryu.

TheExodu5

Banned
So although I have Yakuza 3, I still never really got around to playing it. I will be picking up Yakuza 4 regardless.

Can I just go ahead and play Yakuza 4, or is it better to play 3 first? Is the story a continuation, or completely self contained?

Top Bottom