• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Nah don't think I will but I do hope the PSP RGG games get fan translated fully someday.

That would be great. I know the first game is partially translated (story stuff is done, but I think all the side stuff is still untranslated) but I don't know if that patch was ever released.

Opa-Pa

Just found this thread while searching something else and thought I might as well join YakuzaGAF already!

I recently decided to finally give this series a fair try starting from the beginning, and boy, it's been a ride. Y1 feels very clunky nowadays and navigating Kamurocho with mini loading times was a pain, but it oozes style and the music and story were wonderful (I actually kinda miss that style of music now :( Funk Goes On is the GOAT), it even nearly brought to tears a couple times... Kiryu is amazing.

Y2 was a good step up for the combat and thus way more enjoyable gameplay wise. I was a bit skeptical of the story at first, especially because I saw lots of people say it was the absolute best and I wasn't seeing the brilliance, but the endgame blew me away, god damn! Goda was elevated a whole lot in the last hours, and Kaoru was wonderful too.

That leaves Y3, which I'm currently playing. It was a pain to find, but I managed to grab a new copy a couple of days ago. I was planning to tackle some games in my backlog first, but the temptation was too much... And wow. I think I've seen a handful of people say this is one of the "least good ones", but only a couple hours in it had already become one of my favorite games ever.

The orphanage section was especially beautiful, because one thing I love about Kazuma is just how great of a guy he is, and seeing him take a break and enjoy and help his kids feels like a reward for the player after the first two games. And that aside, the improvements to the combat make it feel like it's finally realized and being able to traverse the towns without loading makes me want to explore them to the fullest.

Another thing I appreciate about the series is how "gamey" it feels despite there also being a very cinematic focus. The stories and characters are great and feel very real, but there's this bizarre sense of humor and bunch of side activities to enjoy the games at your own pace, and they all make for an unbelievable package, really. I think many franchises out there could learn a thing or two about Yakuza, and the fact that it's gone overlooked for so long feels so weird and kinda infuriating, but here's hoping Y0 helps gain it an audience in the west.

Oh, and holy shit. The revelations system in Y3 has to be the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in a game, I love this series.

Just found this thread while searching something else and thought I might as well join YakuzaGAF already!

I recently decided to finally give this series a fair try starting from the beginning, and boy, it's been a ride. Y1 feels very clunky nowadays and navigating Kamurocho with mini loading times was a pain, but it oozes style and the music and story were wonderful (I actually kinda miss that style of music now :( Funk Goes On is the GOAT), it even nearly brought to tears a couple times... Kiryu is amazing.

Y2 was a good step up for the combat and thus way more enjoyable gameplay wise. I was a bit skeptical of the story at first, especially because I saw lots of people say it was the absolute best and I wasn't seeing the brilliance, but the endgame blew me away, god damn! Goda was elevated a whole lot in the last hours, and Kaoru was wonderful too.

That leaves Y3, which I'm currently playing. It was a pain to find, but I managed to grab a new copy a couple of days ago. I was planning to tackle some games in my backlog first, but the temptation was too much... And wow. I think I've seen a handful of people say this is one of the "least good ones", but only a couple hours in it had already become one of my favorite games ever.

The orphanage section was especially beautiful, because one thing I love about Kazuma is just how great of a guy he is, and seeing him take a break and enjoy and help his kids feels like a reward for the player after the first two games. And that aside, the improvements to the combat make it feel like it's finally realized and being able to traverse the towns without loading makes me want to explore them to the fullest.

Another thing I appreciate about the series is how "gamey" it feels despite there also being a very cinematic focus. The stories and characters are great and feel very real, but there's this bizarre sense of humor and bunch of side activities to enjoy the games at your own pace, and they all make for an unbelievable package, really. I think many franchises out there could learn a thing or two about Yakuza, and the fact that it's gone overlooked for so long feels so weird and kinda infuriating, but here's hoping Y0 helps gain it an audience in the west.

Oh, and holy shit. The revelations system in Y3 has to be the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in a game, I love this series.

Glad to hear your loving the series, especially 3 which I do love quite a bit (especially the orphanage sections, its a nice change of pace). I'm really getting the urge myself to do a replay of one of the series, once I'm done with Persona 5 I think I'll have to get to doing 0 in English finally.

Jimrpg

Hey Opa-pa welcome to Yakuza GAF!

Gonna have to agree with you on yakuza 2, many Yakuza gaffers say it's the best one with the best story and for me I thought the same as you it doesn't get exciting till the end. But I played it in around 2008 and it was well into the PS3 and HD cycle so it was kind of clunky then on a PS2 with long load times and it was really pushing the PS2 so I don't think performance was all that great.

I liked Y3 more, I really enjoyed the HD resolution, it made the game way more playable. Yakuza 4 is my favourite and Yakuza 0 (up to chapter 7) is the best Yakuza yet. Masterpiece!

Guys, is it Majima Goro or Goro Majima?

Goro is his first name, Majima is his last name.

Both are technically correct. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Japanese can correct us.

Obligatory.

9NHJtuGha.gif

Goro is his first name, Majima is his last name.

Both are technically correct. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Japanese can correct us.
Thanks luce. I wanted to name my main character in Persona 5 after him, but then was reminded that we already have a Goro in that game so it'll be pretty confusing lol

Instead, I've decided to go for Izaya Orihara :)

And yeah, welcome to YakuzaGAF, Opa-Pa!

Opa-Pa

Obligatory.

9NHJtuGha.gif

Lmao this is the best welcome gif. Love that Majima.

But yeah, thank you guys! I'm seriously in love with this series and I'm thrilled to be able to share my newborn passion for it here on GAF!

... That being said, I just finished chapter 11 in Y3 and god-damn, that was both brutally infuriating and sad. The carefree tone of the beginning hours made me cautious for sad stuff, but this is just mean ;_; I'm not one to get too moved by games anymore, but dammit...
as if the orphanage part wasn't bad enough, then they kill Rikiya. Seeing Kazuma cry is one of the most heart-breaking things I've seen in a game to... Fuck this game

But yeah, thank you guys! I'm seriously in love with this series and I'm thrilled to be able to share my newborn passion for it here on GAF!

... That being said, I just finished chapter 11 in Y3 and god-damn, that was both brutally infuriating and sad. The carefree tone of the beginning hours made me cautious for sad stuff, but this is just mean ;_; I'm not one to get too moved by games anymore, but dammit...
as if the orphanage part wasn't bad enough, then they kill Rikiya.
.. Fuck this game

That part is legitimately one of the most emotionally affecting scenes in the series. Just so well done, and the acting was really on point.

The game is really quite a ride straight till the end so keep at it :)

Ah, your at THAT point in 3. Definitely one of my favourite parts in the series in terms of story and emotional impact, not just with [spoiler[ Rikya but also with Saki and her old man, powerful stuff! [/spoiler]

as if the orphanage part wasn't bad enough, then they kill Rikiya. Seeing Kazuma cry is one of the most heart-breaking things I've seen in a game to... Fuck this game
I actually shed a few tears during that part. It was so sad.

Opa-Pa

So, I ended up beating the game last night after all, and whoa, so good! The actual ending was kinda awkward
do they really plan on making me think Kazuma died at the end of every game now? Hahaha
but I dunno, it's so bizarre it kind of adds to the cheese.

You know, I actually think I like this the best in every aspect. The game gets flak for its story but I don't see it. Sure the Okinawa role in Tojo clan affairs felt forced, and the whole Joji thing was silly, but all things considered I felt the plot developed pretty organically and kept me interested the whole way through. The orphanage sections were adorable, but above all felt very real and well realized, the Ryudo family was great too, I didn't expect to like them as much as I did... Which kind or backfired on me in the end. And
Mine
was a surprisingly interesting villain and a nice change of pace. Hamazaki was pretty weird lmao, but the bait and switch was effective in betraying my expectations, I guess!

The combat improvements made a world of difference, also. The game was easy like the other two but I found myself having a blast beating up pushovers more often than not.

Oh and going to the karaoke with Haruka was the absolute best, looking forward to more content like that in future games.

Anyway, yeah Yakuza 3 was amazing. Y4 looks great, I played a bit before going to bed and can't wait to see more (only made it to chapter 2), but I need to play the Dark Souls 3 DLC before Persona 5 arrives, because I plan on focusing only on that and Y4 from Tuesday onwards.

By the way, I've heard hard mode is optimal for Y4, is that true? I've found the previous ones a bit too easy, but avoided it in Y3 due to it feeling more annoying than challenging. I already started on hard but I could restart if it's a bad choice.

Kinda unrelated but I really need to grab a copy of Dead Souls in preparation! I don't care what other people say haha.

Ah, your at THAT point in 3. Definitely one of my favourite parts in the series in terms of story and emotional impact, not just with
Rikya but also with Saki and her old man, powerful stuff!

Oh for real, can't believe I forgot about that. I thought the scene where
you see Nakahara on her sketchbook was emotional enough
but then that one happens and I was so touched. I love this series.

Yakuza 4 is really easy. So play on hard, and its probably worth equipping that games charismatic item to further increase the difficulty of enemy encounters just to make things more challenging (at least that's what I'd do!)

Jimrpg

Yakuza 4 is really easy. So play on hard, and its probably worth equipping that games charismatic item to further increase the difficulty of enemy encounters just to make things more challenging (at least that's what I'd do!)

I've never played on hard till Yakuza 0. It doesn't feel all that much different to normal? ( I am coming from Nioh, so maybe that's had an effect on me)

I've never played on hard till Yakuza 0. It doesn't feel all that much different to normal? ( I am coming from Nioh, so maybe that's had an effect on me)

Just more aggressive enemies and you take more damage. I never touched it on the earlier games either, but I've played the series so many times in the past that I needed all the extra challenge the game can throw at me! Thankfully after 5 being fairly easy as well things were improved starting with Ishin so the newer games are better in that regard (I found Ishin bloody hard in the beginning, that game didn't hold back in the first couple of chapters, you really had to improve your health bar to stop getting stomped!)

Gacha-pin

Nagoshi vs Kuroda
https://youtu.be/TMjy3vzDNGY

*Kuroda talks about his thoughts on the ending of RGG6.
*Nagoshi talks about the deleted scene in the post credit part.
*Y0 sold over 100 thousand copies.
*the end of the show, Nagoshis said he would like to continue working with Kuroda san. And Kuroda said he thought he was invited to the show to receive a farewell word.

That sales figure for 0 seems really low. I thought it sold at least double that in its launch week alone? Or am I getting things wrong (I assume they are talking about Japanese/Asian sales since its a Japanese stream).

And yeah, (massive RGG6 spoilers)
No way is Kiryu not appearing in Yakuza 8/9 assuming we get more sequels. That ending basically set it up that the Legendary Dragon of Dojima will be found eventually if he stays in Japan. I mean everyone found him when he was a taxi driver without any problems what so ever, he sucks at hiding! I doubt he'll be playable again or a major focus in the story compared to before, but he's not gone that's for sure

Gacha-pin

That sales figure for 0 seems really low. I thought it sold at least double that in its launch week alone? Or am I getting things wrong (I assume they are talking about Japanese/Asian sales since its a Japanese stream).

And yeah, (massive RGG6 spoilers)
No way is Kiryu not appearing in Yakuza 8/9 assuming we get more sequels. That ending basically set it up that the Legendary Dragon of Dojima will be found eventually if he stays in Japan. I mean everyone found him when he was a taxi driver without any problems what so ever, he sucks at hiding! I doubt he'll be playable again or a major focus in the story compared to before, but he's not gone that's for sure

That's Yakuza 0's sales number, not Ryu ga Gotoku 0.

IrishNinja

Has there been any word as to when we'll get a release date for Kiwami (E3 the best bet)?

yeah at this point i'm thinking that's it, i know sega sometimes staggers releases & lately they're on about Valkyria, we've a few months till e3 but i'm starting to think you might be right

not banking on an LE this time either but i'd happily take a steelbook or whatever!

wait, so we cleared 100k? woo hoo, that's awesome! for real guys, check those prior #'s, this was a victory right here.

Yeah. It'd have been nice if it'd have been higher like what Nier managed (that's perhaps too optimistic!), but I'll take it. As long as we continue getting the series translated I'll be happy.

And the localization producer in that PS blog post called Yakuza 0's sales a "success", so Sega is obviously happy internally about the numbers.

And the localization producer in that PS blog post called Yakuza 0's sales a "success", so Sega is obviously happy internally about the numbers.

Which is great to hear. I hope Kiwami does well as well. I guess it helps that its launching at a great price. I think they spaced the games out nicely as well, pity it launches so close to Destiny 2 though! Gonna be tough dividing my time between the two!

I started playing Y5 again. I took a break after beating part 1 cuz the ending was so bad...and pt.2 is even worst. Does this get better? Its a chore to play and it pains me to wanna quit since im a big fan.

No spoilers pls

I started playing Y5 again. I took a break after beating part 1 cuz the ending was so bad...and pt.2 is even worst. Does this get better? Its a chore to play and it pains me to wanna quit since im a big fan.

No spoilers pls

I don't know man, the ending to part 1 was kinda the highlight for me. Part 2 was a bit ehhh for me personally since I'm not that big a fan of Saejima.

Part 3 was great cause it had Akiyama.

Part 4 was the surprise breakout chapter for me, was not expecting it to be as good as it was. It went a direction that the series has never really gone in.

Part 5 was a
clusterfuck

All in all, if you're not enjoying part 1 and 2 then I highly doubt you'll like part 3 or the finale. You MIGHT like part 4 but it's not worth drudging through a whole chapter to get to it.

Pt. 1 ending was like Y4 ending to me, shit just got too absurd for me, not in a good way. It doesn't help i've been playing zelda so the hunting part feels so archaic.

Thats too bad, i might just have to watch the story on youtube. Too many good games out there to waste time on this

End of part 1 rocked. If you weren't feeling that then I'm not sure you'll really enjoy the rest of the game, as I found that particular section one of my standout points in the game.

ZeroX03

Banned
Anyone know if Yakuza 6 on Pro eliminates the screen tearing? My friend imported RGG6 and he loves it but the tearing is killing it for him apparently.

Jimrpg

Yakuza Kiwami is available to preorder in my country (the steelbook version too), so I'll definitely preorder. I don't usually preorder but I hope by doing so and if everyone else does too, they can order more copies and make the Yakuza franchise grow.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yakuza 6 on Pro has next to no screen tearing and the framerate is a stable 30 too.

Correction, no screen tearing is present at all when playing 6 through the Pro. I spent a good 100+ hours on it in the end and never saw 1 torn frame :)

Okay that's awesome. He literally ranted for twenty minutes about how Y6 would be the most beautiful game in the world if it wasn't for the screen tearing, so hopefully a Pro upgrade will shut him up.

Menitta

So APPARENTLY since Harada's tweet, Kazuma Kiryu is one of the most requested characters for Tekken 7. I don't know how many sites are actually counting all the requests, but I feel like it's getting more likely as time goes on. Also Kiryu was in X Zone 2 so there is more of a chance than none at all.

Someone help me. I'm getting hyped.

I highly doubt that the tweet is gonna change anything.

They've already specified that the 2 characters in the season pass are gonna be guest characters so I imagine that they've already locked them down and are working on them.

That being said, I would gladly put down whatever amount Harada-san deems appropriate if it'll let me punch Heihachi's face in with Kiryu.

Top Bottom