• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Coda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgbbaoSrhLA

One of the best clips I recorded in Yakuza 6 (actually in the demo), the moment when I sent a dude flying backward into the desk and the papers go flying had me incredibly hype. Also that whole section of the demo never made it in the actual game I believe, same with that blue jacket Kiryu is wearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgbbaoSrhLA

One of the best clips I recorded in Yakuza 6 (actually in the demo), the moment when I sent a dude flying backward into the desk and the papers go flying had me incredibly hype. Also that whole section of the demo never made it in the actual game I believe, same with that blue jacket Kiryu is wearing.

Yeah, the demo segment doesn't exactly make it into the final game, they did reuse a couple of bits though in other ways (these aren't really story spoilers, just side mission spoilers:

The dude with the scar isn't used in the main story, instead he's used in the gang creator side content.

The whole bit with the gangster getting dangled outside the building window isn't in the story, but is recycled into a rather entertaining side story.

Also, I was surprised they didn't use Kiryu's blue jacket model as a DLC costume.

Coda

Yakuza 6 is a damn fine game honestly. Excited for others to try it soon. I'm pretty happy to have the Platinum as well, took me many hours of watching SaltyYen's walkthroughs and GameFAQs guides but it was such an amazing experience and the brawling while somewhat simplified still felt really fluid and dynamic. I think people who come off of playing the Kiwami and 0 releases, and they dive into 6, they will be impressed with the evolution of the franchise.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing peoples takes on 6. I know its a pretty divisive game for some (in terms of story and what wasn't in the game mini game wise etc.) but I still really loved it. The change in engine was quite revolutionary for the series (though I still miss 60FPS) and everything felt like more weighty (thanks to the physics engine and more brutal feeling combat).
Plus some of the new side content ended up being some of my favourites in the series. The snack bar was way more fun to me compared to the hostess clubs from past games (both in terms of gameplay, dialogue and associated side stories).

Really looking forward to doing an English run on the game next year!

Coda

WopNvh7.gif

So good! I slowed it down for dramatic effect.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing peoples takes on 6. I know its a pretty divisive game for some (in terms of story and what wasn't in the game mini game wise etc.) but I still really loved it. The change in engine was quite revolutionary for the series (though I still miss 60FPS) and everything felt like more weighty (thanks to the physics engine and more brutal feeling combat).
Plus some of the new side content ended up being some of my favourites in the series. The snack bar was way more fun to me compared to the hostess clubs from past games (both in terms of gameplay, dialogue and associated side stories).

Really looking forward to doing an English run on the game next year!

I could see it being some what divisive but I felt there was also enough there and it just all flowed really well IMO. I also missed 60 fps while playing, but I got used to it quickly.

Goddammit, I lost all my progress. I thought this game autosaved.

How do you save your game in 0?

Only Yakuza 6 auto saves, all other games require manual saving. The game does briefly mention this - go to telephone boxes (marked with big "S" icons on the map) to save the game.

So is there a particular reason why Kiwami 1 is using the 0 engine, but Kiwami 2 is using the 6 engine?

Because Kiwami 2 is being made after Yakuza 6. They already have the engine in place, while Kiwami they did not. That's all there is to it in my opinion. While having 60FPS for the combat in Kiwami 2 would be wonderful, going back to the old engine would be a step back in many other ways compared to 6's engine. We'll hopefully get a better idea of it today when information should be available.

Jimrpg

Because Kiwami 2 is being made after Yakuza 6. They already have the engine in place, while Kiwami they did not. That's all there is to it in my opinion. While having 60FPS for the combat in Kiwami 2 would be wonderful, going back to the old engine would be a step back in many other ways compared to 6's engine. We'll hopefully get a better idea of it today when information should be available.

Do you think its possible for Kiwami 2 to be 60FPS? I mean they'll have had another year on the engine, perhaps they could have optimsed it?

I agree though, its probably more likely to be 30 than 60.

Do you think its possible for Kiwami 2 to be 60FPS? I mean they'll have had another year on the engine, perhaps they could have optimsed it?

I still know nothing about the Kiwamification treatment, and I'll tell you right now it's 30 fps.

If it is using the Dragon Engine as mentioned in the leak? Not a chance, we only got 60FPS Yakuza games on PS4 because they were upresed PS3 ports. I'd personally be hoping for a more optimised engine that runs better on the base PS4. This is merely just speculation on my part, we should have a better idea in a couple of hours :)

Man, As You Like is so catchy. Perfect song for cabaret czar!

Anyway, holding off on picking up Kiwami, maybe a few weeks, as I'd like to wrap up Yakuza 0 (took a while off with the hype of Persona 5, etc).

I haven't played Y6, only 0, but I would gladly take Zero's visuals for 60fps. For a beat-em-up it's going to be hard to go to 30.

Are they doing a Gamescom stream or something?

Well series vets are used to 30 fps as only three games out of a total of 10 are 60 fps, and even that because they're cross gen. It's really not as bad as you think.

And they're doing a live-streamed event in Akihabara, a popular nerdy district in Tokyo. Here's the link to the livestream, goes live in 4 hours. We'll see Kiwami 2 and Nagoshi-san has said that there are MORE announcements in store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPtfA507syg&feature=youtu.be

Well series vets are used to 30 fps as only three games out of a total of 10 are 60 fps, and even that because they're cross gen. It's really not as bad as you think.

And they're doing a live-streamed event in Akihabara, a popular nerdy district in Tokyo. Here's the link to the livestream, goes live in 4 hours. We'll see Kiwami 2 and Nagoshi-san has said that there are MORE announcements in store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPtfA507syg&feature=youtu.be

Thanks. Unfortunately I'm on the west coast which is always a terrible timezone for JP streams. Look forward to the news though!

We never had OTs for Kiwami or 6 did we? I assume Kiwami 2 will be the same and we importers will just discuss it here?

The OT for Kiwami is being made by PrinceofWhatever and I believe the OT for 6 is being made by cj_iwakura.

OTs generally go up at the most 48 hours before release. Expect it tomorrow.

EDIT: oh shit, misread your post. Yeah, importers can discuss it here but please keep any story talk and such spoiler-tagged. You can definitely just make an import OT if you guys want, it was mainly due to a lack of popularity that no one made import OTs for these games.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I think I'm going to wait before I start Yakuza 6 (I k now it's not out till March '18) but figure I'll wait till there's a localization announcement for Kiwami 2 as I don't feel like going forwards and backwards through the time lines for each game. Ok, so Zero is an exception because that's the way it was planned but then going to Kiwami, 6 then K2 doesn't make sense to me.

IrishNinja

ima make sure to have this kiwami 2 OT on lock! gotta give it a bit more time according to the volunteer OT thread, but i wanna make sure it's done right.

Jimrpg

I think I'm going to wait before I start Yakuza 6 (I k now it's not out till March '18) but figure I'll wait till there's a localization announcement for Kiwami 2 as I don't feel like going forwards and backwards through the time lines for each game. Ok, so Zero is an exception because that's the way it was planned but then going to Kiwami, 6 then K2 doesn't make sense to me.

Nah, I don't think anything in Y2 will be related to Y6. So you can enjoy Y2 as its own seperate thing after Yakuza 6.

By your theory, you'll still have a problem with 3-5 unless you play those first before playing Yakuza 6.

IrishNinja

speaking of: anyone in here wanna do the kiwami 2 import OT? once we have the announcement soon, tonight would be the time to claim it!

Gacha-pin

We never had OTs for Kiwami or 6 did we? I assume Kiwami 2 will be the same and we importers will just discuss it here?

We had OT for Ishin and 0 before.

I see your point but I still think playing them in release order is the best. We don't know how sega will improve K2's gameplay with the new engine but if they will, it could be hard to go back to 6 after K2. The seamless world is the only good thing in 6 and the other parts took two or three steps backward.

edit
Famitsu yt channel streaming the event as well
https://youtu.be/n2-r83PXz_o

Shanaynay

Looks like you get to play as Majima in Kiwami 2!

The game, a remake of Yakuza 2, is built in the Dragon Engine used by Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, and features an additional ”Truth of Majima Goro" scenario in which Majima Goro is playable, a large number of never before told stories...

here

Sgblues

I'm so glad the "dark era" is a thing of the past here on Gaf, where you couldn't talk about any Sega IP without having the threads shitposted to hell at or ridiculed for even liking them or even suggesting they make more or new IP's.

But for us who, have persevered through it all we welcome all new fans!

yK8MAWv.png

Based bronze god

Tizoc

I'm so glad the "dark era" is a thing of the past here on Gaf, where you couldn't talk about any Sega IP without having the threads shitposted to hell at or ridiculed for even liking them or even suggesting they make more or new IP's.

But for us who, have persevered through it all we welcome all new fans!

yK8MAWv.png

Based gold god
ftfy~

Top Bottom