• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Year Walk |OT| First Person Swedish Swiping Horror

Zia

Thanks do answering. I'm still stuck in the
cave
. I had two possible solutions but none of them worked...

You just need to pitch match. When you have the right path all of the sounds will meld together. If you have to, close your eyes and if there's any dissonance swipe on.

You just need to pitch match. When you have the right path all of the sounds will meld together. If you have to, close your eyes and if there's any dissonance swipe on.

To be honest I had problems with this too. I think I might be tone deaf in all seriousness, because I could never find find a match.

Great game.
Just seen my wife leap up and shriek when
the scary thing happens after beating the aaaaaaaaahs in the owl cave
She's nervous about playing it alone.

ekim

I didn't meant that :D that was easy for me.
I was talking about the
cave with the blue flame - there were symbols with different numbers of dots at each other- I touched them in order and looked for the symbols outside of the cave and touched them in order. I also touched them with the dots representing the
number of fingers to use

I didn't meant that :D that was easy for me.
I was talking about the
cave with the blue flame - there were symbols with different numbers of dots at each other- I touched them in order and looked for the symbols outside of the cave and touched them in order. I also touched them with the dots representing the
number of fingers to use

dots: good, but is there anything else in there?

PittaGAF

We're starting to throw around ideas for the next thing, so not sure actually...

The ambition is to be able to continue to make more non-traditional things like Year Walk.

Can't freaking wait then.

Can you toss us a hint if
there is more after the second ending? A new year to input in the companion? A new set of shapes to use in the wooden box? Or are vedtorp.se and the like just for the setting?
?
(Even in private, please...I just need a nudge to decide if continuing or stopping (perfectly satisfied).

Anyway, one of the best game (but even more than a sole game) I ever played.
I hope you guys will have all the credits (and money) you deserve.

ekim

Well I finished it... (I really finished it...)
WOW! The ending is so well thought. But I'm curious - is there more?

Aesop3

Neo Member
Just finished this game last night. My wife and I really enjoyed it. Some of the puzzles were a bit tricky but most weren't too difficult. Definitely a really cool atmosphere and it was surprisingly creepy.

Aptos

Is there a specific moment when you're supposed to open
the box? I was hoping to get more closure on what happens to the girl, but when you open the box the game just ends. I get that it's implied you kill yourself,
but is that all you get as closure?

Is there a specific moment when you're supposed to open
the box? I was hoping to get more closure on what happens to the girl, but when you open the box the game just ends. I get that it's implied you kill yourself,
but is that all you get as closure?

???

Have you read through the companion? How did you figure that out if not.

Aptos

Yea, I read through the companion
1894 and all. Where does it answer my question? Opening the box during the day ends the game without anything cool, opening it after you start year walking ends the game. Do I need to open the box at a specific point in the year walk?

Yea, I read through the companion
1894 and all. Where does it answer my question? Opening the box during the day ends the game without anything cool, opening it after you start year walking ends the game. Do I need to open the box at a specific point in the year walk?

essentially the writer of the book was so upset about the events of the game he Year Walked back to place the note and the knife in the box to urge the player to end their life before the ending so that history would change.

I'm a huge fan of Another Code and Hotel Dusk. The former was especially a big inspiration for Year Walk. RIP CiNG :(
I was already going to buy this tonight, but this sentence is seriously the best way to sell me anything ever. I'm so excited to play!

EDIT:
Eurogamer said:
Fez by way of the Blair Witch Project or House of Leaves

Seriously, did you guys develop this just for me?

Aptos

essentially the writer of the book was so upset about the events of the game he Year Walked back to place the note and the knife in the box to urge the player to end their life before the ending so that history would change.

But it doesn't show you the results of history changing? Whenever I open the box and scroll through the papers it just zooms in on the knife and credits roll, then asks me to "walk again?" Am I missing something?

But it doesn't show you the results of history changing? Whenever I open the box and scroll through the papers it just zooms in on the knife and credits roll, then asks me to "walk again?" Am I missing something?

Yes you have seen the second ending.

Can you toss us a hint

I can say this much: there is no "third" ending. And actually we only consider the game to have one ending... We don't see the endings as alternate endings, but rather as an exploration in difference of interactive narrative as opposed to passive narrative. "The End" is pretty definite, don't you think?

PittaGAF

I can say this much: there is no "third" ending. And actually we only consider the game to have one ending... We don't see the endings as alternate endings, but rather as an exploration in difference of interactive narrative as opposed to passive narrative. "The End" is pretty definite, don't you think?

Yeah absolutely.
And, do not get me wrong, I was absolutely satisfied with everything.
In particular...

...I also thought there aren't 'different' endings, it was just for the sake of clarity.
I LOVED that the 'first' one is open to many interpretations...and I freaking loved that the 'second' one explained everything better (but not in a absolutely definitive way...so it's still open for some interpretations...which is cool).
Everything around the game itself, like the websites and such, enahnce the whole thing to another level...and had me talk about the game with friends a LOT these days...something that never happened in long while.
Part of me was secretely hoping to see or read something more....like another set of shapes that clarify better The Watchers or...who knows?

The truth is simply I do not want to part from this incredible experience I had.

Year Walk is storytelling at its finest.

Anyway thank you for the answer (and the game obviously)!!!

Larsen B

An imagination!

Yeah absolutely.

The truth is simply I do not want to part from this incredible experience I had.

Year Walk is storytelling at its finest.

Anyway thank you for the answer (and the game obviously)!!!

And thank you for playing. Hearing things like this really warms our heart.

The interpretation aspect was very important for us. Very few games do this today. I love any kind of art that stimulates your mind and stays, so it's especially good to hear words like this. Thanks again.

Finished the game earlier this morning and loved it from start to finish. Great job! Can't wait to see if there's more to the mystery than meets the eye!

Okay, is there a game-killing bug here?
Church door will not open. Have checked multiple walkthroughs to verify that I'm rotating in the correct sequence.

PittaGAF

Okay, is there a game-killing bug here?
Church door will not open. Have checked multiple walkthroughs to verify that I'm rotating in the correct sequence.

Anything is possible but
be sure to wait for the symbol above the door to blink at each rotation

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This thing, I'm hesitant to call it just a game, is simply in-freaking-credible. It's criminal that this thread has so few posts in it.

IMO, this was a work of genius - If you have iphone you owe it to yourself to experience it.

"That sounds delicious!! I'm going to go read about it!"

Bad analogy Gaf represent.
I don't like the "gameplay" of these sorts of games, but i dig a good story. Its how i experienced the walking dead animated series, "playing" it would have been tedious for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bad analogy Gaf represent.
I don't like the "gameplay" of these sorts of games, but i dig a good story. Its how i experienced the walking dead animated series, "playing" it would have been tedious for me.
It's got good puzzles. It's also really not the same if you wouldn't control your own movement in this. It's really not comparable to Walking Dead IMO, which had practically no puzzles and hardly any gameplay really.

Figured it out. Apparently, I was supposed to rotate by swiping in the opposite direction of the arrows.
Yeah, the arrows point the direction in which you're supposed to walk :)

It's got good puzzles. It's also really not the same if you wouldn't control your own movement in this. It's really not comparable to Walking Dead IMO, which had practically no puzzles and hardly any gameplay really.

i very rarely care for puzzles in games, so an all puzzle "game" wouldn't hold me too long.. i'd rather watch someone else bang their head against a wall, and laugh at them until they figure it out..probably because of the work i do -__-

Goli

So I just bought this along with Liberation Maiden and I started playing this. Still very early but I have a question, is the game's orientation locked? I can't seem to change it.

That's a perfect analogy. If you simply want to see how the story plays out, that's fine though.

you have a poor, poor concept of perfect, you spent no time on that analogy, clearly. Its Criminal :O
I almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar. -__-

Goli

For some reason I can change the orientation now, weird.
Anyway, I've already had two cheap scares, and in one I actually dropped my phone, but I'm loving this.

Absolutely amazing. Loved it.

also love how the end ending still leaves things open. I mean, at no point do you actually find yourself stabbing her. You have no weapon...until you are given one from the future. Did he actually change the past by sending the knife back? Or did he ensure that what happened, happened?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For some reason I can change the orientation now, weird.
All I'm going to say is, pay attention to that.

Anyway, I've already had two cheap scares, and in one I actually dropped my phone, but I'm loving this.
It's fantastic how they use those sparsely but it makes you nervous for every new place you move. Especially when you're in that one place.

Absolutely amazing. Loved it.

also love how the end ending still leaves things open. I mean, at no point do you actually find yourself stabbing her. You have no weapon...until you are given one from the future. Did he actually change the past by sending the knife back? Or did he ensure that what happened, happened?
Yes, the knife there was very convenient. I believe that part of story is somewhat explained in various texts. That last scene you see of her dead, that's his vision of the future. It's explained somewhere that you first "touch the stars" or something like that, before you see the vision of the next year. So it could have been some kind of nasty conflict between two of them, which resulted with him killing her, and it could have happened some time after that vision. He sees in the vision that she says she doesn't love him, and he also probably has gone a bit crazy after all that he's seen. First time you walk he definitely won't have that knife, and he won't have it for the events after either, but I guess time did rewind the 2nd time around when you're able to open that box.

Maxxan

Awesome game! I really enjoyed playing it. As a fellow swede, I'd never heard about this practice before.

If the developers are reading this, did you embark on a year walk yourselves?
besides your possibly missing colleague

Ahasverus

I don't get the story... BUT I like it, this kind of games are needed these times. Congratulations!
what's the deal with the future? what is the box? how does it work?

Awesome game! I really enjoyed playing it. As a fellow swede, I'd never heard about this practice before.

If the developers are reading this, did you embark on a year walk yourselves?
besides your possibly missing colleague

We did not! Well. (At least some of us didn't, hmm!)

ant1532

Banned
THIS GAME IS SCARING THE FUCK OUT OF ME.

can someone provide me a hint, the raven just took the key and i brought the fire to the scary ass cave...

Top Bottom