• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yellowstone: Tourist Fined $1,000 for Leaving Walkway, Collecting Thermal Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Yellowstone National Park tourist fined $1,000 for walking off boardwalk

A man visiting Yellowstone National Park left with more than just memories Wednesday after he left the boardwalk at the Mammoth Hot Springs area. He walked away with a $1,000 fine and $30 court processing fee.

According to the park, a witness saw the man step off the boardwalk, walk on the terrace formation near Liberty Cap and collect thermal water. The witness also said the man broke through travertine crust, which is very fragile.

When the man was interviewed by law officials, the Chinese national said he didn't read the safety information provided as he entered the park. He also admitted to taking water from the hot springs. A park spokeswoman told the Associated Press the wanted to water for medical purposes.

The man was issued a federal violation notice, requiring an appearance in the Yellowstone Justice Center Court.

"Park employees call on all visitors to protect their park and protect themselves," Yellowstone Park officials said in a news release. "Regulations to stay on designated trails and boardwalks in thermal areas are for visitor safety and the safety of the exceptional park natural resources. Without visitor cooperation, park natural wonders will continue to be damaged and more individuals may be injured or killed. It is a violation of federal regulations to collect any park resources."

Here's a photo of the area in question:
Mammoth-Hot-Springs-Boardwalk-copy.jpg

Volimar

Even though I know it's impossible, I have this deep seated fear that someone breaking the crust in a hot spring or something is what's going to set off the supervolcano...

Apharmd

jfc why are people breaking these rules all over the place in yellowstone

this is frustrating to read, it's like they WANT to get seriously injured, killed, hurt the park or just ruin it for everybody else

do they think they're special or something?

entremet

jfc why are people breaking these rules all over the place in yellowstone

this is frustrating to read, it's like they WANT to get seriously injured, killed, hurt the park or just ruin it for everybody else

do they think they're special or something?

Tourist season plus viral social media equals this.

Kinyou

I can only imagine he didn't hear about the guy who was pretty much cooked alive after falling into one of those springs.

When I went to Yellowstone last year I saw a lot of foreign tourists acting in this manner. Actually called a park ranger on a family, because the Chinese family was off the boardwalk and was near the spring.

ReAxion

It's a safe bet the guy who didn't hear about stinkwater probably not being medicine also didn't hear about the human soup guy, either.

collige

Banned
Some thoughts:
Anyone who thinks that Yellowstone mineral water has medicinal properties is clearly an idiot
He deserves every cent of this fine
"Court processing" fee and fees in general are bullshit ways to pass the cost of the justice system onto lower income people.

Kyuur

Park employees call on all visitors to protect their park

I understand where they're coming from, but this also strikes me as very odd. Most businesses/etc don't have a policy asking for people to stop shoplifters and for good reason. Very possible for it to go awry.

GAF, please read the rules and regulations surrounding tourists sites. If you're doing some shit nobody else is doing, you're probably breaking a rule.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Yes another Yellowstone thread, let's duke it out.

No, but he got at the very least extent of what he deserved. I wouldn't say $5,000 is unreasonable.

I understand where they're coming from, but this also strikes me as very odd. Most businesses/etc don't have a policy asking for people to stop shoplifters and for good reason. Very possible for it to go awry.
Yellowstone is gigantic it's hard for the park rangers to be everywhere at once so if you spot someone being naughty call the park rangers. You don't have to engage people unless what they're doing is dangerous.

I'm sure this stuff has always happened, the news sites just figured out people click the shit out of these stories so they've started running every little thing.

I mean, the guy is a douche and he deserves the fine but there isn't really anything remarkable about the story at all.

Retro

Most businesses can also pay for security; the National Parks have had their budgets slashed repeatedly despite the number of visitors increasing;

Figures released by the National Park Service (NPS) to PEER indicate that in the decade spanning 2005 through 2014, the number of permanent law enforcement rangers in our national parks dropped by nearly 14% (from 1548 to 1322) despite both an increase in the number of park units and a substantial hike in annual visitors, campers and hikers. The drop in seasonal rangers was even steeper. From 2006 (the first year full statistics were available) to 2014 there were nearly 27% (671 to 492) fewer seasonal rangers while “Peak seasonals” covering the peak month of August fell 7% (385 to 356) over that period.

. . .

Even as it trumpets record-breaking park crowds in 2014, NPS is gearing up a major outreach effort to drive visitation even higher next year as the agency celebrates its 2016 centennial. Of the more than $300 million in increased spending it is requesting for the upcoming fiscal year, only $2 million of that amount would go to law enforcement to increase numbers of seasonal law enforcement rangers.
(source)

The park service said it delayed an estimated $11.5 billion worth of needed maintenance projects last year due to funding shortages, with the total growing nearly 2 percent compared to 2013. The backlog has reached its highest point since President Obama took office, expanding nearly 13 percent during that time. (source)

That's not what that statement means though. They're calling on everyone to do what they can to not themselves damage the park.

Madness

Chinese tourists are a special breed of they-don't-give-a-fuck-about-rules-and-customs-and-etiquette.

That is what happens when you have a country go from extreme isolation and social conditioning to extreme wealth and globalization. Chinese tourists and Indian tourists and Brazilian tourists have largely replaced American tourists as the rude and boorish tourists who don't respect local laws and customs etc. It'll get better though. Just takes time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom