• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yemen Withdraws Permission for U.S. Antiterror Ground Missions

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the New York Times:

Angry at the civilian casualties incurred last month in the first commando raid authorized by President Trump, Yemen has withdrawn permission for the United States to run Special Operations ground missions against suspected terror groups in the country, according to American officials.

Grisly photographs of children apparently killed in the crossfire of a 50-minute firefight during the raid caused outrage in Yemen. A member of the Navy’s SEAL Team 6, Chief Petty Officer William Owens, was also killed in the operation.

While the White House continues to insist that the attack was a “success” — a characterization it repeated on Tuesday — the suspension of commando operations is a setback for Mr. Trump, who has made it clear he plans to take a far more aggressive approach against Islamic militants.

It also calls into question whether the Pentagon will receive permission from the president for far more autonomy in selecting and executing its counterterrorism missions in Yemen, which it sought, unsuccessfully, from President Barack Obama in the last months of his presidency.

Not the best start for a more aggressive push into the region.

RoKKeR

So, so far Trump has blocked a bunch of valid and vetted visa holders from entering the country and has squandered counterterrorism efforts in parts of the world where it actually matters and makes a difference.

Ok.

The more we learn about this raid the more of a mess it sounds. I'm sure there are plenty of factors that lead to it going south, but the buck stops with the president.

Lautaro

I'm surprised you had authorization from Yemen even after the Houthis taking power... of course, I'll admit I don't know much about that country, there's not much coverage of it and the war with SA.

Its kind of tragicomic though, a country lets you bomb them with drones but you still manage to cross the line.

it's understandable

if i were a sovereign nation, i probably wouldn't let donald trump conduct operations in my country

I feel safer every day our dear leader's steady hand is guiding our military. Praise be to Trump. He said he alone can fix all of our problems and I believe him!

Hate Trump and totally agree with this summary of current events

So, so far Trump has blocked a bunch of valid and vetted visa holders from entering the country and has squandered counterterrorism efforts in parts of the world where it actually matters and makes a difference.

BUT I think it's also important to note that this also happened to Obama after a botched drone strike

NYT said:
In 2014, Yemen's government temporarily halted those drones from flying because of botched operations that also killed civilians. But later they quietly resumed, and in recent years they have been increasing in frequency, a sign of the fact that Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, is considered one of the world's most dangerous terrorist groups.

I think this is probably a great slap to Trump given the freedom to the Pentagon he's planning on giving them, and the expansion of ground operations in Yemen, but I also think it's important to recognize that this may just be temporary and that even better presidents aren't infallible from operations going wrong.

So not a good thing, but not the uniquely Trumpian terrible of other things happening

So what happens if Trump burns all these diplomatic bridges? I can't imagine American running solely on "We're the best! Fuck them all!" for a long time, considering the economic ramifications of pissing off our allies.

RoKKeR

Hate Trump and totally agree with this summary of current events

BUT I think it's also important to note that this also happened to Obama after a botched drone strike

I think this is probably a great slap to Trump given the freedom to the Pentagon he's planning on giving them, and the expansion of ground operations in Yemen, but I also think it's important to recognize that this may just be temporary and that even better presidents aren't infallible from operations going wrong.

So not a good thing, but not the uniquely Trumpian terrible of other things happening
Doesn't surprise me Re: Obama facing similar retaliation, but it certainly flies in the face of Trumps pining for an all-out assault on terrorism.

The official Yemeni government was and still pro US from the Obama administration til the Trump administration and as far as I know it's still is.

Unless the news is coming from the Hothies militia fearing that the US will attack more than just AL Qaida or the Yemeni Muslim Brotherhood who are AL Qaida sympathizers and where grey during this whole conflict then such a statement is understandable.

Can we make a list yet ?

Executes mission that obama refused as too risky
Executed it because they told him obama saiid that
No state dept/IC in SitRoom (no warning that losing Yemen access was a risk)
Lost a navy SEAL, BILL OWENS
Who was a father to 3
talked about his funeral with the sincerity of Bill Murray
Injured 3 others
Lost a 75 million dollar aircraft
Missed the target of the raid, the #1 AQ guy
Proceeded when they knew they were spotted
Killed an American passport holding girl orphan
Killed a bunch of civilians and women
Leveled a bunch of buildings to cover their retreat
Got kicked out of doing any other missions by Yemen
Got taunted on social media by #1 AQ guy
Made ISIS recruitment easier
Lied and minimized all of the above, losing credibility

Achievement unlocks:

Completed tutorial level!
Got a cool MP4 video that was on google anyway

If Obama had done this 10'days after his election, the minority GOP would have had group aneurysms.

UberTag

That's deserved. Can't blame Yemen at all there. Americans - as usual - fucked up someone else's shit.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Can we make a list yet ?

Lost a soldier
Injured 5 others

Achievement unlocks:

If Obama had done this 10'days after his election, the minority GOP would have had group aneurysms.

id change the "lost a soldier" to "lost a Navy SEAL"

sphagnum

Banned
Falling for the LIEberal failin' New York Slimes #FAKENEWS yet again. Sad! The mission was a tremendous success! And for those who died, well, we like people who survive. #MAGA

So much for the war on terrorism. They can no longer hit targets in Yemen due to their fuck up. So many innocent people died because he wanted to do it just because Obama didn't want to. Not only is Trump a lunatic, he has blood on his hand. I hope it haunts him for the rest of his days, but knowing how narcissistic this POS of a person is, he will never do that. He shows signs for a psychopath.

Gragen

This isn't entirely on topic but I hope Trump doesn't treat these Seals as expendable because they are definitely not. Those guys go through what most people couldn't even imagine just to become one. He needs to be smart to use them. A Cheif Seal is a huge blow to special forces, he was the enlisted boss on the ground.

This isn't entirely on topic but I hope Trump doesn't treat these Seals as expendable because they are definitely not. Those guys go through what most people couldn't even imagine just to become one. He needs to be smart to use them. A Cheif Seal is a huge blow to special forces, he was the enlisted boss on the ground.

If he really valued their lives, he would have never done this operation. You are just wishfully thinking that Trump would learn from this.

sphagnum

Banned

You know he doesn't give a shit.

So much for the war on terrorism. They can no longer hit targets in Yemen due to their fuck up. So many innocent people died because he wanted to do it just because Obama didn't want to. Not only is Trump a lunatic, he has blood on his hand. I hope it haunts him for the rest of his days, but knowing how narcissistic this POS of a person is, he will never do that. He shows signs for a psychopath.
We hit targets in Pakistan without having permission. It's just harder.

What a fuckup. Great job, Commander in Chief, keeping us safe.

This needs to be Benghazi'd into the ground.

It won't be because the people who find this whole thing horrible also realize that there are far worse things going on, so it isn't fixated about. It could be used as a hammer, but the dems are too busy worrying about voting strategies and whether the president really called up a 4 star general at 3am to ask him if a strong or weak dollar was best for the economy.

This should be wrapped in a bow and aimed at his base on talk shows books Reddit topics and attack ads funded by "committee for American military leadership" and so on. But it will just Float away. La dee dah another thing to tut tut about.

Usobuko

Banned

Yep.

He won't feel guilty about it though, neither will ~50% America cares about some innocent brown lives dead in some foreign lands.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Liberals need to jump on this and make this Trump's Benghazi.

But they won't.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If this one failed mission (as appealing a human cost as it had) keeps thousands more Americans and Yemenis from certain death by avoiding more ill advised adventures... I still won't call it good, but maybe a "future-bad minimizing failure"?

Can we make a list yet ?

Executes mission that Obama refused as too risky
Executed it because they told him Obama wouldn't do it
Lost a navy SEAL
Injured 5 others

Achievement unlocks:

another small edit, but yea.

Invictus

Banned
Can we make a list yet ?

Lost a navy SEAL
Injured 5 others

Achievement unlocks:

Can anyone link me an article with the details of the actual raid? I have read multiple articled but none with details like this in them. Any help would be great!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can we make a list yet ?

Lost a navy SEAL
Injured 5 others

Achievement unlocks:

Don't forget that Trump was tweeting about the NYT while this was all happening!

Yep.

He won't feel guilty about it though, neither will ~50% America cares about some innocent brown lives dead in some foreign lands.

They don't seem to care about their veterans either when the republicans are in command. So many people died in iraq and Afghanistan under GWB but no one points out how and why they did it. Obama started authorizing drone attacks and everyone get's upset. He wants to stop wars and stop innocent lives from being taken away, but nope he is making "America" look weak. It's very hypocritical considering how much they "care" about the veterans. They use the veterans as a scapegoat for their agenda. Their base just eats it up because they don't know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom