• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yet another Burnout 3 gameplay video

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
It seems like the series will finally get the attention it deserves. I liked Burnout 2 way more than NFS Hot Pursuit 2, but when you have the einsteins at Acclaim spending marketing cash on "change your name to Turok Evolution!" you end up with an overlooked racing game. Online is icing on the cake.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I dunno. I was a huge fan of the first two, but this one looks way too flashy with all those particle effects and stuff. Hopefully it still plays as good as the previous two.

The second one had a bunch of particle effects too. As long as;

1) You can turn off the slow mo mid race crash cam

and

2) It isn't easy to "takedown" opponents online

This game will be the best racing game in years

Alex

I may pick this up, looks great, although I suck so bad at racers.

Midnight Club 2 was my last, and I don't think I've ever swore as much in my life as when playing the campaign on that.

Gregory

Banned
Handling looks as shitty as ever. I hate the first 2 games, they`re nothing more than frustrating endurance tests. All you do is try to not hit the traffic. It gets annoying after 10 minutes. Not to mention the fucking unskippable crashes, gah. They really got on my nerves.

The games are good technically, but that`s it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Gregory said:
Handling looks as shitty as ever. I hate the first 2 games, they`re nothing more than frustrating endurance tests. All you do is try to not hit the traffic. It gets annoying after 10 minutes. Not to mention the fucking unskippable crashes, gah. They really got on my nerves.

NO SIR!

It's arcade, not sim. handling is fine.

miyuru

Gregory said:

Unskippable crashes? I don't think I ran into any of those (once I got good enough) and I've beat the game 100%. I didn't think it was very frustrating either, other than the last pursuit, which took me more than 2 tries ^_^

FightyF

Banned

I never played part 2, but I agree somewhat for part one.

I wouldn't fault the handling, what I would fault is the collision detection and the game's reaction to it. For example, if you lightly scrape the side of another car, it registers as if it's a head on collision, so both cars fly in the air, and you loss ALL speed. A scrape should be a scrape (lose some speed, maybe get pushed away), not a fly-in-the-air dealy.

Regardless, it's been fixed in Burnout 3, judging from the vids. Awesome sense of speed...but where is the traffic?

Gregory said:

Ok now you've gone and done it! You've given unwarranted negative opinion about Burnout series that is so untrue!! If theres anything that is non-disputable about Burnout series its the lovely smooth arcade controls. I can't imagine you playing a simulation racer if you find the controls in this game bad! Go try San Francisco Rush series if you want shit controls!

And the traffic is annoying? What the? It's the best part about the series and what makes races so exciting. I remember when I finished Burnout 1 and unlocked the mode to turn the traffic off and it was no where near as fun. Burnout 1 was quite a difficult game but Burnout 2 was much much easier and you didn't crash anywhere near as much.

Fight for Freeform said:
I never played part 2, but I agree somewhat for part one.

I wouldn't fault the handling, what I would fault is the collision detection and the game's reaction to it. For example, if you lightly scrape the side of another car, it registers as if it's a head on collision, so both cars fly in the air, and you loss ALL speed. A scrape should be a scrape (lose some speed, maybe get pushed away), not a fly-in-the-air dealy.

Regardless, it's been fixed in Burnout 3, judging from the vids. Awesome sense of speed...but where is the traffic?

Burnout 2 is quite different from the first game. I LOVE the first game because its very challenging and has awesome tracks. Burnout 2 "dumbed" down the difficulty, put less traffic on the courses and "gave more room for error" with the collision detection and was much more forgiving. The first game was very harsh. But Burnout 2 was still very fun as the crashes and speed were much improved over the first game. But the 3rd game looks like it has even LESS traffic then Burnout 2 so if you are going from Burnout 1 to Burnout 3 you are in for a big shock. But B3 looks to have much more challenging AI cars this time which is an improvement over both B1 and B2.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
A scrape should be a scrape (lose some speed, maybe get pushed away), not a fly-in-the-air dealy.
Scrapes that you could drive away from w/o triggering an accident were definitely possible in Burnout 1.

FightyF

Banned
Scrapes that you could drive away from w/o triggering an accident were definitely possible in Burnout 1.

That could be possible, after all I only played it a couple of hours since I rented it. All I know is that I found it so frustrating that I made sure I was well away from everything else.

It looks a lot more forgiving in BO3...and probably for good reason too, with only play you can expect a lot of bumping when cornering. I really wish it had as much traffic as BO1...I thought it was was made the game so interesting. Have the devs confirmed that there will be less traffic? Maybe they just set it to low traffic at E3 or something.

miyuru

You can scrape in both BO1 and 2, but I think you had more leeway in the sequel. It's a touchy matter indeed in a game like this.

Top Bottom