• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YO. HAWKGUY. BRO.

Salsa

Plus Fat Cobra

fatcobra.jpg

the best

Raxus

Are they still doing the free digital issues? I really wanted to check out hawkeye 1 but I guess it was getting slammed at the time.

Vyer

I've been reading a lot if back issue Marvel stuff thanks to Comixology sales. Civil War, House of M, AvsX, etc.

Is it me or is this characterization of Hawkguy pretty much nothing like what he's been in the rest of the Marvel universe?

tumblr_mc20e1FgZg1r82mvgo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mc4hp9bYSu1r2v9ujo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mc4hp9bYSu1r2v9ujo2_500.jpg

I've been reading a lot if back issue Marvel stuff thanks to Comixology sales. Civil War, House of M, AvsX, etc.

Is it me or is this characterization of Hawkguy pretty much nothing like what he's been in the rest of the Marvel universe?

It's probably better. I dunno, I don't read most of the rest of the universe. And Frank Castle or Flash Thompson don't seem to cross paths with Clint Barton very often, if at all.

tumblr_mansceD7Lp1qass2yo1_500.jpg

I love Clint's view of the world. And how they translate other languages. Too funny.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh man, I picked this up based on recommendations in the comics thread too and it is SO. GOOD. So amazing to read. The art style is incredible, the limited colour palette works really well, plus Hawkguy/bro/hang on a sex dialogue is amazing. Love this. Everyone should at least check out the first issue, even if you have to buy the digital version. They really nail the regular guy problems side of things, and he seems like such a nice guy to hang out with. He's kind of a doof but you know he can handle himself when he needs to. There's a good mix of action and heartwarming stuff, plus it's really funny.

I never read superhero type comics outside of a few graphic novel collections (Red Son, TDKR, New Frontier, etc) as I tend to prefer Vertigo style stories but this is just fantastic. Not what you'd expect from a comic about an Avenger. It's really down to earth. Wish I could just post panel after panel in here but I don't want to spoil it for everyone else.

Amazing panels

Yes! All these parts are so good. Read this book.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This and Batwoman really rekindled my love for the entire medium. I love this book. And I hate everything and everybody.

How many issues is this? Is it one self contained book, or?

It's an on-going. 8 issues have been released to date. Issues 1-6 will be in the first TPB coming out on Tuesday. Plus, no lengthy six-issue arcs. It's either solo issues or two parters. Flows much better that way, no padding or bullshit manufactured drama.

Tokubetsu

Yeah for awhile they were trying to kinda tout him as some kinda super badass back in the day but they seem to have settled on "No one really takes Hawkeye seriously so hawkeye doesn't really take the world seriously" angle and it's working. He's like a more rugged and laid back version of Spider-man right now.

Congrats on joining us Hawkeye fans. So glad I was onboard since it was first announced.

Oh and enjoy:
E6C607BD-0B86-4BFB-AA62-7AB407C1576B-1448-000000A9993AD261_zpsd34a95dd.jpg

(Banner was from Fraction's twitter, made by Aja)

Yeah for awhile they were trying to kinda tout him as some kinda super badass back in the day but they seem to have settled on "No one really takes Hawkeye seriously so hawkeye doesn't really take the world seriously" angle and it's working. He's like a more rugged and laid back version of Spider-man right now.

What, is he the Aquaman of Marvel?

If anyone here who's reading Hawkguy hasn't read Immortal Iron Fist, you need to get on it. It's by the same creative team and it's basically the Hawkguy before Hawkguy.

Looking it up, are you talking about the 2 volume collections from 2007 to 2008?

I've always been kind-of interested in Immortal Iron Fist.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Looking it up, are you talking about the 2 volume collections from 2007 to 2008?

I've always been kind-of interested in Immortal Iron Fist.

Immortal Iron Fist is one of the greatest comics ever written. It's also very easy to read (all self-contained, all in one reading order)

Here is where you start.

But also check out Hawkeye, too.

Yeah, Immortal Iron Fist paperback volumes 1 and 2 are must-reads. Vol. 3 is alright, and 4 and 5 are kinda shit (new writer and artist). The omnibus (hardcover) collects volumes 1-3, but it's out of print and crazy expensive.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What, is he the Aquaman of Marvel?

More the Green Arrow of Marvel. Yeah, he's really, really good with a bow and arrow, but...he fights alongside literal gods and monsters against literal gods and monsters. It can be a tough sell when things get really cosmic.

jon bones

Yeah, Immortal Iron Fist paperback volumes 1 and 2 are must-reads. Vol. 3 is alright, and 4 and 5 are kinda shit (new writer and artist). The omnibus (hardcover) collects volumes 1-3, but it's out of print and crazy expensive.

I firmly believe all 5 are a blast to read - even if the first 2 are amazing.

More the Green Arrow of Marvel. Yeah, he's really, really good with a bow and arrow, but...he fights alongside literal gods and monsters against literal gods and monsters. It can be a tough sell when things get really cosmic.

That's why Hawkeye is so good. Street level dude dealing with street level problems. Girls, gangsters, pizza dogs, etc.

Salsa

honestly if it wasnt because Marvel is doing all their stuff in the same "Universe" i'd be super confident in that they'd make a TV series out of this. They have everything laid out for them.

Wont happen because Renner is Hawkeye and universe canon and all that, but yeah

honestly if it wasnt because Marvel is doing all their stuff in the same "Universe" i'd be super confident in that they'd make a TV series out of this. They have everything laid out for them.

If Renner was willing to do a 13 episode tv season, I think it could totally be done within the confines of the MCU. It could be the lo-fi, laid-back counterpart to the upcoming SHIELD series.

tumblr_m69hhg4ht31r2e1lj.gif

I mean... he doesn't totally resemble how Clint looks in the comic... but I could see it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I was going to come into this thread and gush about this book like everyone else. But I think other posters have said everything and wanted to, and more eloquently.

It's good. It's really fucking good. Fraction has been pretty smart about how this book was handled. I hope Fraction & Aja stay on this one for years. It's honestly the best book coming from either DC or Marvel right now.

Immortal Iron Fish was also pretty stellar, so I guess I shouldn't be completely shocked. He has done his best to keep his characters simple.

jon bones

I know, I really wish they got someone different for the movies. Only Marvel casting I didn't love.

If Renner was willing to do a 13 episode tv season, I think it could totally be done within the confines of the MCU. It could be the lo-fi, laid-back counterpart to the upcoming SHIELD series.

tumblr_m69hhg4ht31r2e1lj.gif

I mean... he doesn't totally resemble how Clint looks in the comic... but I could see it.

Hey, at least he's more fluid in this one gif than he is in Avengers :/

Ah, here it is:

ibuo5YQnK2LBKP.gif

haha, explain to me all of this please.

Salsa

I know, I really wish they got someone different for the movies. Only Marvel casting I didn't love.

I didnt love it either but I didnt MIND him that much

It works well on The Avengers, I just dont think it would work in a TV series of this particular run at all. This is more of a loveable idiot Ryan Reynolds kinda guy

I didnt love it either but I didnt MIND him that much

It works well on The Avengers, I just dont think it would work in a TV series of this particular run at all. This is more of a loveable idiot Ryan Reynolds kinda guy
Reynolds has played at least three comic characters. They should get him for it! How much could he possibly cost?

Top Bottom