• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YO. HAWKGUY. BRO.

Issue #5:

prv14405_cov.jpg
prv14405_pg1.jpg

prv14405_pg2.jpg
prv14405_pg3.jpg

prv14405_pg4.jpg
prv14405_pg5.jpg

Issue #6:

Issue #7:

Issue #8:

So this thread has convinced me to go and get that trade paper back, and then any back issues after that (if I'm reading correctly theres only 2 more out right now, correct?). I haven't read any comics in awhile (stopped around the end of Siege, I believe, and even during Siege wasn't really reading too much.) I think I'm gonna be picking up the first trade of Saga also. You guys got any other recs? I used to read Fables, is that still any good?

So this thread has convinced me to go and get that trade paper back, and then any back issues after that (if I'm reading correctly theres only 2 more out right now, correct?). I haven't read any comics in awhile (stopped around the end of Siege, I believe, and even during Siege wasn't really reading too much.) I think I'm gonna be picking up the first trade of Saga also. You guys got any other recs? I used to read Fables, is that still any good?

The first trade only collects Hawkeye 1-5 only 3 issues to catch up and 9 comes out this Wednesday!

It IS a great series, a true joy to read.

It defies sense that this and the new Fantastic Four run are written by the same writer, though.

I don't read a ton of comics, but the one I always recommend without fail is American Vampire by Scott Snyder, published by Vertigo. So good. Great twist on the vampire mythos and its impact on the American frontier from the old West to... well, eventually the present I think. They just went on hiatus for a year so the writer and artist can recharge and they're at the halfway point. Rucka's Punisher is great as well. But that's the best comics I've read in the last little while, I don't read a ton.

Matt Fraction has never written a bad anything.

I was not a fan of his run on Punisher a few years back. I've mellowed to it in recent years though. I should go back and re-read to see if my feelings have changed. At the time, it started great and then sorta went downhill. Hated the Hatemonger stuff where Frank ends up murdering an innocent or something due to hate rays. Interesting ideas, but... I dunno. It turned me off to his work. Hawkeye is the first work from him I've read since Punisher. I should go back and read his other stuff and give Punisher another shot.

I did love Remender's Punisher run, though. Loved the whole Franken-Castle and In the Blood stuff.

I was not a fan of his run on Punisher a few years back. I've mellowed to it in recent years though. I should go back and re-read to see if my feelings have changed. At the time, it started great and then sorta went downhill. Hated the Hatemonger stuff where Frank ends up murdering an innocent or something due to hate rays. Interesting ideas, but... I dunno. It turned me off to his work. Hawkeye is the first work from him I've read since Punisher. I should go back and read his other stuff and give Punisher another shot.

I did love Remender's Punisher run, though. Loved the whole Franken-Castle and In the Blood stuff.

The Five Fists of Science
Casanova
Immortal Iron Fist
Invincible Iron Man

All gold. If you mellowed on his Punisher run, and love his Hawkeye stuff now, you're going to find a LOT of stuff to love in those titles. I didn't read his run on Uncanny but that's more because I'm just kinda sick of X-Men (although I like Bendis' current run, and Whedon's Astonishing run)

The Five Fists of Science
Casanova
Immortal Iron Fist
Invincible Iron Man

All gold. If you mellowed on his Punisher run, and love his Hawkeye stuff now, you're going to find a LOT of stuff to love in those titles. I didn't read his run on Uncanny but that's more because I'm just kinda sick of X-Men (although I like Bendis' current run, and Whedon's Astonishing run)

Maybe he didn't gel well with Frank Castle or we're on two very different wavelengths or something. Sometimes the spark isn't there with the character and the writer. There was some good stuff about it... but some definitely not-good stuff. A lot of that Punisher run ran very contrary to the character itself.

But I'll definitely give those titles a shot.

You can not count it with me! C'mon! We can free ourselves!

Crystal Skull never happened!
What the fuck is a Prometheus?
Ghostbusters II? C'mon. That's silly. That's like saying there was a fourth Alien movie.

How about those Star Wars sequels finally getting made? Remember when people thought there'd be a trilogy that took place with a young Obi-Wan Kenobi?

You can not count it with me! C'mon! We can free ourselves!

Crystal Skull never happened!
What the fuck is a Prometheus?
Ghostbusters II? C'mon. That's silly. That's like saying there was a fourth Alien movie.

How about those Star Wars sequels finally getting made? Remember when people thought there'd be a trilogy that took place with a young Obi-Wan Kenobi?

manly-tears-496ub8.gif

You're just tearing my heart up, man. You're just tearing my heart up. I wish... I wish I could join you. But I can't.

I actually liked Crystal Skull and Prometheus and Ghostbusters II. Maybe I've gone mad.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've been trying to use Hawkguy as a gateway drug with friends who don't usually read capes. I just wish everyone had a tablet already.

beat

yeah but I dont want Renner playing this guy at all

Did you ever watch ABC's "The Unusuals"? That guy Renner played had the same kind of vibe as Fraction's Hawkeye.

And BTW, if Immortal Iron Fist had had the Tracksuit Mafia, that would basically have been perfection.

I wish I knew about the new Hawkeye series by Matt Fraction and David Aja cause it's so fucking good. I went to the comic shop to pick up some stuff I had waiting and since some GAFers said in the Comic Cover thread that Hawkeye is really good, I got a couple issues from there.

I just got into it a few weeks ago myself. A friend of mine kept raving about it, but I ignored him for the most part because I was never a big Hawkeye fan. Of course, he never told me it was about Hawkeye as it relates to his life without the costume. So I picked up the back issues and I've been hooked ever since.

Vol 1 trade comes out this week! Perfect for those looking to jump onboard.

It actually came out this past Wednesday. Places like Amazon and Barnes & Noble don't usually get new graphic novels until the following week. Comic industry is weird like that.

I think it's really lame that he stopped wearing a costume and is now just a regular guy

Huh? Why should he wear his costume if he's not doing "Avengers" stuff? He's always been a street-level hero, but I like the current distinction between his "Avengers" hero-ing & his everyday hero-ing just by how he's dressed.

Even in Avengers though he's not wearing a true costume anymore. He looks too similar to Ultimate version now. He needs at least a mask.

That's such an odd thing to say as his costume now is his true costume.

If anything, his OG costume was just a product of the time it was created since he's an ex-carnie. Now? No sense in using something so gaudy for a street-level hero.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hmm, now I'm keen to check these two out.

Immortal Iron Fist in particular is amazing.

I think it's really lame that he stopped wearing a costume and is now just a regular guy

nah man, faded purple converses, white tee, blue jeans. that's what's up right there.

You'd love Snyder's American Vampire. Fables fell off after issue 75 (the end of the war)

Immortal Iron Fist in particular is amazing.

nah man, faded purple converses, white tee, blue jeans. that's what's up right there.

You'd love Snyder's American Vampire. Fables fell off after issue 75 (the end of the war)

Yeah, that's when I checked out. I mean, I read about 4 or 5 issues after that, but much like Supernatural can very, VERY safely be abandoned after season 5, Fables can be walked away from after the 12th trade.

Top Bottom