• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YO. HAWKGUY. BRO.

Just asked on Twitter. 25 cents tops.

So, that dog don't hunt. It comes down to how much value you put on the creative work, to put it bluntly.

FoneBone

I get what you're saying, but I'm guessing that the argument is that paper issues have a cost associated with production and distribution that the cover price is in some way covering. These costs for digital issues are going to be a lot lower, and so these issues could be reduced in price to provide an incentive to the consumer to opt for digital rather than physical copies, which would mean a reduction in production cost to the publisher. I don't think the reason people think that digital comics should cost less is that the believe them to have less creative worth, they just want the reduction in costs of production to be passed on to them. I can see your side of the argument though, that if a story is worth X dollars to read in one format then why shouldn't it be worth the same in another. I'm just saying what I think the reason for the argument is.

This. And for all the reasons that have been outlined, the industry is flat-out fucked if it can't find a better pricing model than the current one.
Just asked on Twitter. 25 cents tops.

So, that dog don't hunt. It comes down to how much value you put on the creative work, to put it bluntly.

25 cents for what? Production? Distribution? What about Diamond's cut?

see5harp

Just posting for more Hawkeye love. I'm still surprised that Waid's Daredevil is criminally overlooked. While its not complete slice of life like Hawkeye, it strikes a really great balance and has stunning art that deserves a look. It got those Eisners for a reason.

Agreed. I really enjoy Daredevil as well. I might actually prefer the artwork in Daredevil (although it's close-same sorta look).

Wow, you actually asked only about printing costs. That's really disingenuous of you.

They have to pay Comixology for distribution. Production costs also apply to what you get in the digital copy. Printing is the only thing that's "print" exclusive, unless I'm missing something.

As someone who worked in print production during the transition away from actual print, the only thing you don't have to do for digital is add crop marks. You still have to prepare a file and send it somewhere.

FoneBone

They have to pay Comixology for distribution. Production costs also apply to what you get in the digital copy. Printing is the only thing that's "print" exclusive, unless I'm missing something.

As someone who worked in print production during the transition away from actual print, the only thing you don't have to do for digital is add crop marks. You still have to prepare a file and send it somewhere.
You're forgetting the retailer cut, perhaps? From the numbers I've seen (and I'd have to go back and look them up), even if both Apple/Google and Comixology take cuts of a given purchase, a publisher's revenue is still likely significantly more off a digital sale than a print sale.

Still, regardless of the numbers, if the perceived value of digital-only copies is lower to consumers, you're not going to grow the market by complaining about their attitude.

And I recognize that some sort of price-to-reading-time ratio isn't altogether fair to comics as a medium. But that is the age we live in, and you're not going to keep the industry stable without radically rethinking it.

But for my money, the thing that killed comic books is “everything else.” We’re living in an all-new status quo, and I keep seeing people, especially comics people, acting like piracy is the sole cause of all their ills. When no, that isn’t true, and a half glance at the world will tell you so.

I don’t even have to leave my house to be flooded with things to do. I can have food delivered, songs and movies I buy (or download, whatever) appear on my hard drive or PlayStation like magic, video games can be bought and played without ever touching a physical disc… we’re living in the future, and that’s without even going outside. Outside, I can go to the movies, check out stand-up open mics, hang out with friends, drink Starbucks, eat donuts, play board games, go to bars…

There is so much to do, and when you tell me my choice is between (in this instance) a comic that averages out to being just okay and costs three to four dollars to read for five to ten minutes and doing anything else, I’m going to choose anything else, nine times out of ten, with exceptions made for creators I enjoy or books that might have a good hook that I’m curious about.

And I like comics. At this point, I’ve probably written a million words about them. I like supporting the people who make comics, whether with an email about how much I like their work, a Paypal donation, or just buying their books when they come out. My apartment is a mess because I like these stupid picture books so much.

It’s a new age. You either figure out how to progress along with time or you get washed away. Which is maybe “a fucking cockhead” thing to say, but that doesn’t make it any less true. 1996 rules don’t apply any more. You have to change for that new status quo.

You're forgetting the retailer cut, perhaps? From the numbers I've seen (and I'd have to go back and look them up), even if both Apple/Google and Comixology take cuts of a given purchase, a publisher's revenue is still likely significantly more off a digital sale than a print sale.

Still, regardless of the numbers, if the perceived value of digital-only copies is lower to consumers, you're not going to grow the market by complaining about their attitude.

And I recognize that some sort of price-to-reading-time ratio isn't altogether fair to comics as a medium. But that is the age we live in, and you're not going to keep the industry stable without radically rethinking it.

Like I said, my personal model includes the cost of supporting a quality LCS, which not everyone has or cares about. My personal stance on it (key word here: personal) is that comics are worth $3-4 because of the artistry of them. I don't slight anyone for thinking otherwise, nor do I stop myself from inhaling free or on sale digital copies. But I also think comics are worth their cover price. I understand that people have a different view and they're welcome to, but my personal belief is that that's a gross way to think, and an offense to those who make comics. Obviously I'm swimming upstream on that one, but I won't be turning around anytime soon. It's just a personal belief of mine. I'm not looking to grow the market with it.

If/when Comixology ever lets our stuff on there (long shot, as it was serialized digitally and for free), my goal would be to get it in front of as many people as possible and for cheap as possible. But I also have the luxury to be able to afford to have that opinion, since I don't live off my work. But comics pros do, and I'm happy to support them, $_$ style.

FoneBone

Like I said, my personal model includes the cost of supporting a quality LCS, which not everyone has or cares about. My personal stance on it (key word here: personal) is that comics are worth $3-4 because of the artistry of them. I don't slight anyone for thinking otherwise, nor do I stop myself from inhaling free or on sale digital copies. But I also think comics are worth their cover price. I understand that people have a different view and they're welcome to, but my personal belief is that that's a gross way to think, and an offense to those who make comics. Obviously I'm swimming upstream on that one, but I won't be turning around anytime soon. It's just a personal belief of mine. I'm not looking to grow the market with it.

Okay, buddy.

Josh7289

I don't know what's going on in this thread now but because of the first page I just bought the first volume of this series on Amazon. This is the first American comic I've purchased since some Sonic and Digimon issues 10+ years ago.

I don't know what's going on in this thread now but because of the first page I just bought the first volume of this series on Amazon. This is the first American comic I've purchased since some Sonic and Digimon issues 10+ years ago.

m1C1E.gif

You won't regret it.

Also, I love how Tumblr loves Hawkeye. And Hawkeye.

One of the best reasons to trawl through tumblr, finding great fan art/fan photos. But yeah, I think Tumblr has been about the Hawkeye series since Day One. When the Hawkeye Initiative was started, I think it just blew up even more.

It's been great.

"Hawkeye" #1 is a done-in-one story, setting the tone for the series' approach to telling shorter stories rather than long-running epics. "As a whole, this is a book of one- to two-part stories by design. You get a beginning, middle and end in every issue -- there's no three-part arcs here," Fraction explained. "We're doing it that way because, frankly, 20-pages for $4 is too much for too little. It's too much for a chapter of a story.

"Marvel Comics used to be incredibly dense when they were 17 pages. They were also 65 cents back then, and they felt richer. I feel the era of three-panel pages is sort of over. We're somewhere else now," Fraction continued. "I think the realities of where comics are right now are different from where they've been the last few years. When you move from 22 pages to 20, it changes the pace and tempo of everything."

Fraction's tales are being brought to life by his "Immortal Iron Fist" collaborator David Aja, an artist known for his modern take on old school style comic story telling and aided on "Hawkeye" by acclaimed colorist Matt Hollingsworth. "This is a terrifically dense book. David added things up, and I think he had something like 96 panels on 20 pages," Fraction said. "David's art with Matt's colors is even more extraordinary. Matt and David had to track like three or four different time frames in issue #1. It jumps back and forth, up and down and all over, and they never lose track of where you are and when things are taking place. That's David and Matt being masters of what they do."

Longer interview from back in August here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40623

Since the discussion was about cost and pages and whatnot, figured I'd post Fraction's view.

Referencing a moment from Hawkeye #3

41B63703-1358-4606-97B5-86F0931BB6E0-3469-00000281929A7984-1.jpg

(She watched Clint get dressed as she pulled up to get him)

Too funny.

This title is fueling my desire to get a bow (I've been planning on it for quite a while, actually...) and I've been hunting online for more information, types, manufacturers, etc, and what I've realized is that...

Bows are actually kinda expensive. And I have no idea what I'm doing.

Not only did Diamond both save the business and now are suffocating it - the Big Two's overreliance on increasingly useless "Event" writing is the only tried and true method for keeping sales high

Eh. With events, I can take them or leave them. Image is far and away my favorite publisher, and they never have events the likes of what Marvel and DC constantly shoves down everyone's collective throats. What they do put out is a constant stream of pretty original titles.

uvz

Neo Member
hawkeye is like your favorite tv show form pre big budget era. Dont need to know what happened the week before, just an amazing story, all wraps up at the end, characters change a little but not to much, no forced everything is on the line crap everyone's happy.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I honestly can't get over how much I love Hawkeye. It's funny and heartwarming and really, really well written. He's a badass no doubt, but I love that he can't set up a DVR to watch Dog Cops and things go wrong and he says dumb stuff. Makes him really relatable. The real star is the art though, so good. I'm really pleased that I found out about it.

Probably the best thing I found was during Christmas time last year. David Aja was doing a week-long 'Advent Calendar' via twitter.

This was strangely my favorite:
photo-1_zps265d0d67.jpg

Matt Fraction is the best writer in the business. He's far better than Geoff Johns, Brian Bendis, Jon Hickman, and Scott Snyder.

Seriously Iron Fist, Hawkeye, and Invincible Iron Man have all been great

beat

Nice. Also, if you don't recognize the sheer beauty of this layout, you have no soul...

9F35FBD1-25A0-4FB2-BDB7-081937B1B91C-3154-000002AC57B1C672_zps3db205d4.jpg

I remember hooking up stuff like that. Now all my equipment is connected just with HDMI cables. Way easier. (I installed banana plugs for my speakers too -- was using bare wire connections before -- so the next time I have to disconnect and reconnect this setup should be 10-15% easier.

I remember hooking up stuff like that. Now all my equipment is connected just with HDMI cables. Way easier. (I installed banana plugs for my speakers too -- was using bare wire connections before -- so the next time I have to disconnect and reconnect this setup should be 10-15% easier.

Yep, I remember doing that for my parents' system but I vastly prefer just using HDMI & Optical cables. Still, there was something straight-up nostalgic about seeing those A/V hookups...

Clint is a rather unfortunate name to read in small print comic type.

CLINT

I agree & the joke's been made to death, yet he's the only person who makes the name 'Clinton Francis Barton' totally badass.

Oh and another one for my collection:
D4B964CB-AAC6-4CE5-BBDE-620E15470B7C-3265-000002B49E472F71_zps8cf441a2.jpg

This comic should convince Marvel to recast Hawkeye in the next movie. The actor they got looks too much like a generic shield agent. He should physically look more like the comic version and have more of a personality.

beat

This comic should convince Marvel to recast Hawkeye in the next movie. The actor they got looks too much like a generic shield agent. He should physically look more like the comic version and have more of a personality.

Aja's Hawkeye doesn't look that different from Renner. Now, I guess Movie Hawkeye is pretty much a blank slate, but in The Unusuals, Renner played a cop who in retrospect seems a lot like Fraction and Aja's take on Hawkeye. (see http://www.buddytv.com/articles/remote-patrol/before-avengers-jeremy-renner-45760.aspx for more.)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm coughing up Renner's stiffness to the plot device he was tied to for the whole film... hopefully his displeasure at how that turned out and the comic's success will have Joss writing more appropriate stuff for Renner. I feel like Joss could ape Fraction's characterization real well.

Agree, Renner not does look or act the part at all. His rat face mug looks grumpy all the time. Plus Renner have zero charisma ...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Renner's fine. He just didn't really have anything to do besides get mind controlled and then look determined.

Top Bottom