• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's New Island | OT | Is you is or is you ain't my Baby (Mario)

maxcriden

Anyone else try the gyro egg control? I enabled it a day ago and have been enjoying it. I also switched back to the "A control", which actually feels superior as long as you use the R button for eggs.

After playing tense, linear games such as Tropical Freeze, and games that rush you with a time limit as in Mario 3D Land, this game is a welcome change of pace. I can actually explore, and am rewarded for doing so.

I haven't tried it, I keep forgetting to. I'll give it a shot and report back!

The more I play the game, the more I enjoy the game on its own terms. Comparisons to the best game ever be damned. It's a simple, fun game... nothing amazing or incredible, but competent and fun.

Hear, hear. I just finished up 3-7 and really dug it.

Kinsei, any ideas for additional runs that could up the difficulty? I was thinking maybe a no touching enemies run.

Kinsei

Banned
I haven't tried it, I keep forgetting to. I'll give it a shot and report back!

Hear, hear. I just finished up 3-7 and really dug it.

Kinsei, any ideas for additional runs that could up the difficulty? I was thinking maybe a no touching enemies run.

Hmm, I think a green eggs only run could be pretty tough. No using colored eggs and no ricocheting your eggs off wall (Except when required). Your idea of a no touching enemies run would also be tough, but there are some parts that would have to be an exception to the rule. Even if you didn't go for 100% there would still be a part where you have to jump off of enemies.

maxcriden

Hmm, I think a green eggs only run could be pretty tough. No using colored eggs and no ricocheting your eggs off wall (Except when required). Your idea of a no touching enemies run would also be tough, but there are some parts that would have to be an exception to the rule. Even if you didn't go for 100% there would still be a part where you have to jump off of enemies.

I like the green eggs only run idea. Maybe the combination of both somehow would be a real challenge, too.

maxcriden

Kinsei, I think it was you who said the World 4 world map music is a significant improvement. I totally agree with this, the string instruments really add quite a bit. I just played 4-1 and it cemented a couple thoughts for me: one, the levels in this game really are shorter than those in the original YI. I just watched my wife play 3-3 in that game a short while ago and it was much longer than 4-1, or most other levels in this game. They're fun levels, just a bit shorter than I'm used to in this series. Second, I really do like some of the tunes in this game. 4-1 has a good remix in particular.

My copy arrived. I've only played up to the first mid-boss, but this game is legit. It's not Yoshi's Island DS again. It's much closer to the SNES game. Good fun and I'm really glad I got it.

Lijik

Got the game today and played most of the first world. I can honestly say I was enjoying myself far more at this point in the previous two Yoshis Islands, but at the same time each new level is stronger than the last. I think my biggest issue gameplay-wise is tying the wheel of flowers to egg medals. Having to replay levels over a wheel of chance right at the end feels like a frustrating chore

Visually the 3D is subtle but nice and the game animates well (subtle stuff like the grass movement is a nice touch). I still think the actual artstyle itself isnt as strong as it should be. Sometimes the brushstrokes look like someone used a filter in photoshop, othertimes the painterly look will be convincing but placed over a fake looking canvas texture. Some objects look like weird prerendered Donkey Kong Country assets. While Yoshis Island wasnt particularly consistent either, I think everything being comprised of pixels gave it a unifying look. Here it comes across as a garish mishmash of styles. It doesnt help the quality of the visuals varies so wildly from each background and object. Some assets like the signposts dont even look like they were supposed to belong in this game. I didnt mean to go on this long about the visuals haha .I guess its a sticking point to me because occasionally there'll be an area or object that looks really nice and I think the game would have been outstanding if it constantly operated at that level.

maxcriden

Got the game today and played most of the first world. I can honestly say I was enjoying myself far more at this point in the previous two Yoshis Islands, but at the same time each new level is stronger than the last. I think my biggest issue gameplay-wise is tying the wheel of flowers to egg medals. Having to replay levels over a wheel of chance right at the end feels like a frustrating chore.

Wheel of chance? I thought that was just the end goal. There are 8 levels per world, 40 flowers per world, 30 medals, so I figured only 30 of the flowers count as medals. I don't think there's any element of chance to it, but maybe I totally misunderstood. (Glad you're digging the game, BTW!)

Lijik

Wheel of chance? I thought that was just the end goal. There are 8 levels per world, 40 flowers per world, 30 medals, so I figured only 30 of the flowers count as medals. I don't think there's any element of chance to it, but maybe I totally misunderstood. (Glad you're digging the game, BTW!)

You only get the medals if the wheel lands on a flower, and unless im misunderstanding something you need the medals to unlock the S stages (to be fair I could be wrong on this, all I did was a quick google search to figure out what they were for). You cant get the medals on the fortress/castle levels so it works out to be 30 medals per world

maxcriden

You only get the medals if the wheel lands on a flower, and unless im misunderstanding something you need the medals to unlock the S stages (to be fair I could be wrong on this, all I did was a quick google search to figure out what they were for). You cant get the medals on the fortress/castle levels so it works out to be 30 medals per world

Oh weird. I never noticed that at all. You're probably right. Huh. I bet Kinsei can shed some light since he's unlocked all of the S stages. I thought it's the 100% levels that unlock the S stages and not the medals, but I may have misunderstood that, too.

Kinsei

Banned
You're right Max, I was the one who mentioned the world 4 map music. The world 6 map song is even better.
How else do you think I found Totaka's Song.

You don't need to get the medals to unlock the S levels, they are for the vehicle challenges. Getting them isn't random, landing on a flower has a clear timing to it. It's hard to explain exactly since each flower has a different timing, but you'll eventually find the one that you think is easy to land on. For me it was the lower right flower.

P.S I'm a she.

Kinsei

Banned
Haha, I'm sorry about that Kinsei. You know, as I was writing "he" I was thinking "hmm, maybe Kinsei's *not* a he," then I just kind of went with it anyways assuming the odds were against that.

No problem. I just figured I'd correct you since we seem to have similar taste in games, so I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of each other in various OT's.

Lijik

Oh neat! I'll ignore them for now I suppose.

I forgot to mention I've been using the gyro aim and its really nice. It feels like I only have to do slight tilts to get the reticle where i need it.

maxcriden

No problem. I just figured I'd correct you since we seem to have similar taste in games, so I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot of each other in various OT's.

Right you are, pleased to be corrected!

Oh neat! I'll ignore them for now I suppose.

I forgot to mention I've been using the gyro aim and its really nice. It feels like I only have to do slight tilts to get the reticle where i need it.

I keep meaning to try the gyro aim. I'm really bad at the gyro vehicle controls though, so I'm a bit concerned it would just be an exercise in frustration.

steveovig

Not sure if this has been discussed here but what exactly were the main complaints with YIDS? Never played it but it looks interesting to me.

Not sure if this has been discussed here but what exactly were the main complaints with YIDS? Never played it but it looks interesting to me.

The baby-swapping is laborious, and getting 100% is very frustrating due to a lot of "one-way only" obstacles. The levels are long, tough and obfuscating, and have issues with the "dead zone" between the DS screens.

I still wouldn't call it a bad game.

---

I've finished World 1 of New Island now and yeah, it's good. I like it a lot! I've missed a fair few things even when combing the levels carefully, so it's not trivial - though, I don't feel frustrated, more intrigued.

matthwq

Banned
The baby-swapping is laborious, and getting 100% is very frustrating due to a lot of "one-way only" obstacles. The levels are long, tough and obfuscating, and have issues with the "dead zone" between the DS screens.

I still wouldn't call it a bad game.

---

I've finished World 1 of New Island now and yeah, it's good. I like it a lot! I've missed a fair few things even when combing the levels carefully, so it's not trivial - though, I don't feel frustrated, more intrigued.

Sorta mild, non-level specific spoiler:

A lot of the red coins are hidden in giant swaths of secret coins -- the kind that pop up when you find a secret cloud and shoot it. Most of the ones I miss on my first run through are from these.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
I've been enjoying this one. The level design is super simple, but it's fun. Not sure it deserved the panning it got from some critics.

Not the best thing NIntendo's ever made, but it's charming.

R&D

Banned
From the videos I've seen the level design seem way better than YIDS, we can see Tezuka was closer to the project, but does this game lack ambition! It's kind of a remake. All I see is ennemies and obstacles from the original. When was the last new original video-game concept Nintendo produced? Nintendoland in 2012? At least ALBW had the painting mechanic. There's nothing new to see here.

Zing

Banned
I just noticed two things while playing today. Stomping near an egg plant causes it to shoot out a burst of eggs. This makes it easy to full up. Also, they have the progressively more complex theme on the world map as you advance worlds, just as in the original game.

Finished this game and now... is that true that it keeps the collectibles I've found and basically lets me find only the ones I need?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, you guys are making me guilty with these positive reviews...

If you remember, a year or so back I was decrying the state of Yoshi, and how he lost his "independence" to re-become Mario's sidekick, and now when a new Yoshi Island comes out, I've yet to buy it...

Probably gonna pick this up soon enough, because you guys are convincing me it's worth a shot.

Drago

Finally got to me today from Gamefly... that took a lot longer than I expected.

Just finished up the first world. It's a lot better than Yoshi's Island DS so far. It feels much more focused and the level design and collectables spread is much tighter compared to DS as well. The physics feel a little off, mostly when making eggs, but for the most part they work as well as they did in previous games. The OST doesn't bother me much; there's no outstanding tracks but I like the main tune and it's variations, and it doesn't make me want to mute the game like Yoshi's Island DS' atrocious OST did. The game does indeed look great on the 3DS system, as per usual with basically every 3DS game. :p

The only real major problem I have is the complete lack of any innovation, aside from a big egg every now and then and some (admittedly fun) gyro minigames. It's very much a retread of the original game. But I guess after every new gameplay feature they added in DS helped in turning me off of that game, perhaps it's for the best that they stuck to what works.

Overall, I'm liking it a lot right now. I can tell that the game as a whole will be much more enjoyable to me than DS was, I can see it leaning closer to the original in quality, honestly. Excited to play more.

Zing

Banned
Since it isn't noted anywhere other than the end-stage score screen, I assume not. The existence of the stamp makes me wonder if the game originally required players to gather all items at once. Maybe an executive producer asked for the easy-mode change near the end of development.

I discovered another new trick, which I believe was in the SNES game as well. You can press the L/R buttons on the world map to change worlds.

I am halfway through world four and the game is consistently fun and interesting. I could do without the large eggs, though. They just seem weird and add little. The flower medals are also a bit odd. Sure, the feature they unlock is entertaining, even more so than the original SNES bonus stages, but it is frustrating for the award to be random. They should have just awarded a medal for every flower gathered instead of it being a lottery.

rawktapus

Since it isn't noted anywhere other than the end-stage score screen, I assume not. The existence of the stamp makes me wonder if the game originally required players to gather all items at once. Maybe an executive producer asked for the easy-mode change near the end of development.

I discovered another new trick, which I believe was in the SNES game as well. You can press the L/R buttons on the world map to change worlds.

I am halfway through world four and the game is consistently fun and interesting. I could do without the large eggs, though. They just seem weird and add little. The flower medals are also a bit odd. Sure, the feature they unlock is entertaining, even more so than the original SNES bonus stages, but it is frustrating for the award to be random. They should have just awarded a medal for every flower gathered instead of it being a lottery.

There's a real good nugget of an idea with the metal eggs that I wish would have been implemented more often. Playing with eggs that change how you interact with the level is much more interesting than just making them bigger.

I know there's much hate for the DS YI but I'm someone who enjoyed it for the time I had with it despite being a huge fan of the original.....so I'm curious when I read that this is closer to the original.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
why are Yoshi's feet so huge in this? Like twice the length they are supposed to be. is this a less evolved version of the Yoshi race since it takes place long ago when Mario is a child??

Lijik

I dont know if I agree the first world is better than YI DS (which seems to be prevailing opinion). I just replayed that first world of that game to make sure of my stance. Maybe its double screen gimmick, but the levels in YI DS feel like they expand on the semi-sprawling open areas of the original which imo mark the feel of the game. YNI starts off feeling cramped, overly flat and pedestrian in its first few layouts. Its a lot of minor things that contribute to a more complex feeling level. Compare the pipe sections in 1-1 in YI or YIDS which feel like extensions to the stage, to the two in YNI which are very small box rooms you just toss a few eggs in. The jutting diagonal rocks in YI and YIDS are far more memorable and interesting than the pipes in 1-1 of YNI that fulfill a similar purpose. (EDIT- I kinda forgot 1-1 of YNI also uses the diagonal rocks once or twice, but they not really used to make little nooks and hills like in the previous titles.) Theres opportunities to go off the "main" path in the previous games (going up to higher platforms, going under a slope to find a sunflower) while in YNI the first level is essentially a straight path with no deviation. IMO, the game doesnt start truly feeling like a Yoshi's Island game until about 1-6 with the beanstalk paths on the high portions of the level and platform wheels on the bottom. It feels like you're exploring an actual place instead of following a set path and deviating into a secondary room every now and again.

I also feel like the way YI and YIDS utilize the purple egg block feel a lot more natural than YNI's weird random placement of it in 1-6 but thats getting really nitpicky.

EDIT- I also just found out egg medals aren't dependent on the level. You can just replay the easiest level in a world until you get all 30. Weird.

Zing

Banned
Any suggestions for an easy and fast stage to collect all five flowers in world two? I have 100% the world otherwise, but I am missing 15 medals. I've replayed a few levels several times and always lose the "lottery".

Well, the nostalgia is definitely strong on this one.

Having played only the snes version back in the day gotta say this one takes the "cute" cake. (dat catchy song on the control options menu) just so adorable >.<

Absolutely loving this game, don't care what metacritic,... says neither any other site for that matter :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It seems that if Metacritic was computing an average of GAF-players that YI3 could fare a bit better than on professional reviews ^^.

maxcriden

It seems that if Metacritic was computing an average of GAF-players that YI3 could fare a bit better than on professional reviews ^^.

Your name is Yoshi, you were predisposed to like the game no matter what. Your credibility is compromised!

Totally joking of course. I completely agree!

Drago

World 2 complete! I actually managed to 100% all of the levels here on my first shot, quite proud of myself! Thankfully this game seems to understand good collectable item placement compared to DS. I really enjoy exploring these levels looking for everything much like I did in the original game, versus not even trying in DS because there was so much bullshit when it came to collecting. I'm not gonna tackle the S stages until I finish the main game, though.

Really enjoying the game a ton so far. It's a lot of fun and it's consistently keeping me hooked and wanting to play more, and although it doesn't and probably never will reach the heights of the original (certainly a tall order), it's still a great game on its own, I think. I can easily see it being the best original 2D platformer on 3DS [barring DKCR3D, since that's originally a Wii game] if the quality continues to ramp up like it did from W1 to W2 when all is said and done. Not that there are many original 2D plats I've played on the system, and Kirby is also right around the corner to try and take that honor, but still. It's good. :p

maxcriden

Finished the game last night!

No 100s on any stages yet, but I'll go back for that eventually. I want the experience to be pretty fresh so I'll probably tackle some other games for a while first. I've got Four Swords Anniversary Edition to finish up and then...not sure what will be next, maybe SM 64 DS if it comes in the mail today, I hear it plays much better on 3DS.

Anyway, back to Yoshi. I think my initial, more detailed impressions are pretty similar to how I ended up feeling about the game. It's a fun, endearing game with charm to spare. The graphics work very well on the 3DS screen and the music isn't my absolute fave at times but I did quite like some tracks, like Hotfoot Hurdle and the World 4 overworld music. (I think it was 4, whichever one had those string instruments.) The bottom line is this: the game offers very similar gameplay, for the most part, as that in the original Yoshi's Island. The levels are a bit shorter and feel slightly less epic in scope as a result. The new mechanics are somewhat underused, whether they be the more interesting (doppelganger rooms) or the less exciting (mega eggdozers).

Everything YNI does, YI does just a bit better. Still! There are only three Yoshi's games out there in this play style. The mechanics are definitely, IMO, not so overplayed that they've overstayed their welcome. It's still completely enjoyable to play this game. Especially if you haven't played one of them in a while. I'm sure it colored my impressions that I only played the original for the first time pretty recently. (I played some of the DS game years ago and plan to revisit it soon enough.) This is a tempered recommendation of sorts, but it is still a recommendation. Overall I'd give it an 8/10 with an almost assured bump up to 8.5 once I've gone for 100% and played the secret levels. I can only imagine that experience is going to increase my score for the game.

Some significant ending spoilers, really do not highlight if you plan to play or beat the game and haven't yet:

I had been spoiled that the super secret final boss is actually King Bowser, ripping a hole through space and time to take revenge on Yoshi and Baby Mario. The battle with him wasn't too bad. In fact, though it was a bit longer combined with the Baby Bowser fight than the original Baby Bowser final boss fight was in YI, I still found the YI final boss fight to be pretty tough and this one not to be too bad. Regardless, I did really enjoy the ending, especially the reveal that Mr. Pipe was somehow adult Mario himself, traversing space and time to assist his younger self. That was pretty out there, and enjoyable to see.

matthwq

Banned
Dumb question, probably has been answered numerous times before (which is bad for me considering this is the only topic I frequent on here lately) -- do checkpoints not save the star count after dying anymore????

maxcriden

Dumb question, probably has been answered numerous times before (which is bad for me considering this is the only topic I frequent on here lately) -- do checkpoints not save the star count after dying anymore????

Actually not only is it not a dumb question, Matt, I'm glad you brought it up because I keep meaning to. You're right, checkpoints no longer save the star count, making 100%ing a level that much harder. I was watching my wife play YI the other day and thinking, wow, when she gets to YNI, she's really not going to like that change.

matthwq

Banned
Actually not only is it not a dumb question, Matt, I'm glad you brought it up because I keep meaning to. You're right, checkpoints no longer save the star count, making 100%ing a level that much harder. I was watching my wife play YI the other day and thinking, wow, when she gets to YNI, she's really not going to like that change.

Damn, okay. Now that I know, it's not a big deal -- I seriously had thought I stumbled upon a glitch of some sort. Now it's literally a checkpoint and nothing more -- well, unless you don't die, I guess. I like this challenge.

matthwq

Banned

Also, I forgot to mention that I enjoyed your review. I'm feeling pretty much the same about it (it's a really good game, not as good as the original, but whatever). What's your 3DS friend code if you don't mind me asking? I feel like we probably have similar taste in games. You can message me if you'd like.

I finally opened up my new Yoshi 3DS XL and the game last night and played through World One. I'm glad to see people enjoying it, because I think it's great so far! Not getting the mediocre reviews at all.

maxcriden

Damn, okay. Now that I know, it's not a big deal -- I seriously had thought I stumbled upon a glitch of some sort. Now it's literally a checkpoint and nothing more -- well, unless you don't die, I guess. I like this challenge.

Yeah, I figure it must be intentional. It's a surprising change since it really does up the difficulty quite a bite.

Also, I forgot to mention that I enjoyed your review. I'm feeling pretty much the same about it (it's a really good game, not as good as the original, but whatever). What's your 3DS friend code if you don't mind me asking? I feel like we probably have similar taste in games. You can message me if you'd like.

Thanks! I'll PM you. :)

Top Bottom