• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Don't Know Jack |OT| None of these hostages leaves until Cookie gets his chopper

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The irreverant trivia game show from the 90s makes it triumphant return.

Platform: 360, PS3, Wii, DS, PC
Genre: Trivia Game Show
Developer: Jellyvision
Price: $29.99 US / $19.99 US for PC
Release Date: NA - February 8, 2011
Player Support: 1-4 players, play local or online (360 & PS3 confirmed)
Downloadable Content: Planned.

Ratings:
ESRB T

Links

Main site: http://www.youdontknowjack.com/
Jellyvision site: http://www.jellyvisiongames.com/

Features
The game features 73 episodes with 10 trivia questions each. Additional episodes should become available via DLC.

So what's the big deal about a trivia game? YDKJ is well-regarded for it's entertaining production values, awesome humor, and the roundabout style it asks the trivia questions. Also, host Cookie Masterson (voiced by Tom Gottlieb) is beyond awesome.

eKmnal.png

For those unfamiliar with the YDKJ game structure, the game's split into 3 rounds. Round 1 covers questions 1-5, Round 2 covers questions 6-10 (with the cash prizes doubled). As questions appear on the screen, the players choose from 1 of 4 possible answers within the time limit. The faster you give a correct answer, the more cash you win. Think 1 vs 100, except a lot more entertaining.

rln1Ql.png

Each player also has a screw they can use to force another player to answer a question by himself within 5 seconds. If he gets it wrong, he loses much more cash than from a normal incorrect answer, but if it gets it right he'll gain a lot more cash and the player who sent the screw will get the penalty hit instead.

bYcNNl.png

Round 3 is a Jack Attack segment to wrap up the game where you have to make word associations. Make a correct connection and earn a ton of cash, get it wrong and lose a ton.

K1WP6l.png
VCknil.png

The best way to describe the experience is simply to watch a game session. Check out Giantbomb's excellent preview video, which is where I grabbed the screenshots from: www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-you-dont-know-jack/17-3754/

If you weren't at all entertained by the point the "Cookie's Fortune Cookie Fortunes With Cookie "Fortune Cookie" Masterson" bit hits in that Quick Look preview video, you have no soul.

Also note that there is a DS version, though I suspect it won't come close to the production values of the other versions which are full of voice and music bits.

AIRic

No PC version is a crime against humanity!

EDIT : Nice! Should put that in the OP. I had so much fun playing this game with my friends all around the mighty keyboard haha!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If you told me that in 2011 I'd be playing a new Duke Nukem' and YDKJ game...

This is an amazing series. Everyone watch the quick look IMMEDIATELY.

Edgeward

Whoa, this has online support? I was under the impression since it was also a budget title it would be only local. The GB quicklook definitely had my interest piqued.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Havok said:
When someone uses the screw their number gets stabbed. It's a neat effect.

Yeah. The blood is hidden behind a silhouette and you even hear a little gagging.

ultron87

The lack of Amazon release date delivery means I'll have to go some sort of actual store to get this on tuesday. Hmm....

Minsc

Gold Member
I really doubt it is the case, but hopefully this isn't one of those deals like RE5 where the PC gets screwed out of the DLC...

TylerD

It's time for a dribble-piss messfun!

gibberish question

It will be really hard to resist this.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
There doesn't seem to be a EU release for this. Is it region free?

Chairhome

TylerD said:
It's time for a dribble-piss messfun!

gibberish question

It will be really hard to resist this.
Those are confirmed to not be in this game do to a lack of keyboard...

I skipped the GB quicklook cause I don't want to know any answers for the first few eps. I love this game and preordered off Amazon, though!

Might want to add that Scene It! Big Button controllers are compatible with the game, while Buzz controllers are not.

I'll definitely pick this up, but they kind of went downhill towards the end, so my hopes aren't high. The games kind of just became predictable. They need to go back to The Ride style with a bunch of crazy shit happening all over the place.

Trakdown

ProfessorLobo said:
I'll definitely pick this up, but they kind of went downhill towards the end, so my hopes aren't high. The games kind of just became predictable. They need to go back to The Ride style with a bunch of crazy shit happening all over the place.

True, 5th Dimentia and Lost Gold were both meh. I partially blame that on Schmitty, who's easily my least favorite host of the bunch, an online interface that wasn't that functional in 5th Dimentia and a lot of other stylistic changes(question intros started getting less and less funny starting with offline). Thing is, if you got a chance to play the web-based one that was on Jellyvision's site from 2007-2008, you'll put those fears to rest. They've still got it.

Trakdown said:
True, 5th Dimentia and Lost Gold were both meh. I partially blame that on Schmitty, who's easily my least favorite host of the bunch, an online interface that wasn't that functional in 5th Dimentia and a lot of other stylistic changes(question intros started getting less and less funny starting with offline). Thing is, if you got a chance to play the web-based one that was on Jellyvision's site from 2007-2008, you'll put those fears to rest. They've still got it.

I'm disappointed that they (seemed to) have taken them down. You'd think it'd be good promotion for the real game, given how similar it is from all the footage I've seen.

Trakdown

Mister Zimbu said:
I'm disappointed that they (seemed to) have taken them down. You'd think it'd be good promotion for the real game, given how similar it is from all the footage I've seen.

That actually worries me somewhat...I'm hoping they're not just taking questions from that version of the game, repackaging them and sending it out. I haven't played most of the eps they had on the site, but I wasn't amused when I played the PS1 version and found that this was the case with many of the questions.

Good God, the screens in the OP are literally some of the best questions I've seen since The Ride. I'm so ready for this game. I just need to make 2 more friends before release. Hmm....

Haha this game looks like a lot of fun, I know the Giant Bomb guys rave about it. Could see myself picking it up, for sure.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That I can't believe it's not butter! question is hilarious.

I'm interested, but I want to see what the DLC plans are (charge for new episodes or free) before I plan to give my money to them.

TheSeks said:
I'm interested, but I want to see what the DLC plans are (charge for new episodes or free) before I plan to give my money to them.
There is no way the episodes are going to be free. And whatever, man; they're taking the time to make some awesome episodes (if the Quick Look is any indication) and the game is only $30 - so long as the downloadable episodes are fairly priced, I have no problem throwing them a couple bucks for a couple new packs. Besides, you get 73 episodes in the game, so it's not like you're really lacking in content unless you plan to play a bunch of it by yourself. That's such a complete non-reason to not buy the game it's not even funny.

Also, I need this game right now.

Games are only 10 questions long? Disappointing.

But it's good to see these guys back in form. I still have my copies of 1-3 here, haven't played them in years.

Sylfurd

There was a pretty awesome french version in the first game back then, but I fear this will never come to Euroland ...

Poona

Nils said:
There doesn't seem to be a EU release for this. Is it region free?

I wish to know the same (although I'm Australia based, I'll import from the UK if need be). I played the games way back when on the PC, but now it would be easier to play around the 360 (with scene it buzzers as well).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I AM JOHN! said:
There is no way the episodes are going to be free. And whatever, man; they're taking the time to make some awesome episodes (if the Quick Look is any indication) and the game is only $30 - so long as the downloadable episodes are fairly priced, I have no problem throwing them a couple bucks for a couple new packs. Besides, you get 73 episodes in the game, so it's not like you're really lacking in content unless you plan to play a bunch of it by yourself. That's such a complete non-reason to not buy the game it's not even funny.

Also, I need this game right now.

Sorry, but 73/10-question "episodes" while plenty isn't enough for DLC priced if THQ is going to overcharge for it.

Money to value equation and all. May be a "non-reason" for you, but questions and episodes being charged would add up fast.

If there's 73 episodes on disc there should be 27 DLC episodes. They could release 9 for 4 bucks or so. That's probably how they'll end up doing it.

They've got to pay for soundbooth costs guys ;)

Wasn't sure when I clicked on the thread if it was what I thought it was but turned out pleasantly surprised.

Still think I have the disc to the first one and one of the add-on's around somewhere.

Top Bottom