• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Don't Know Jack |OT| None of these hostages leaves until Cookie gets his chopper

AMUSIX

faceless007 said:
Games are only 10 questions long? Disappointing.

But it's good to see these guys back in form. I still have my copies of 1-3 here, haven't played them in years.
The 10 question length sucks...each episode should have been a short game of 7 questions or a full 21 question game...

I love YDKJ, and will definitely be getting this, but it is hugely slimmed down from what past games have offered....no gibberish questions, no fill in the blank, no fiber optic field trips, no celebrity collect calls, no threeways, no whatshisnames....

Granted, some of those are because of lack of keyboards in the console versions, but its still a big hit to variety.

Also, 730 questions all in predetermined orders is a bit bogus...I think this makes it the smallest YDKJ to date....

ElNarez

Banned
AMUSIX said:
The 10 question length sucks...each episode should have been a short game of 7 questions or a full 21 question game...

I love YDKJ, and will definitely be getting this, but it is hugely slimmed down from what past games have offered....no gibberish questions, no fill in the blank, no fiber optic field trips, no celebrity collect calls, no threeways, no whatshisnames....

Granted, some of those are because of lack of keyboards in the console versions, but its still a big hit to variety.

Also, 730 questions all in predetermined orders is a bit bogus...I think this makes it the smallest YDKJ to date....

Nope, The Lost Gold was 600, and I think that was the shortest one. Still, I don't think there's been a YDKJ game that had more than a thousand questions, excluding the netshow.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AMUSIX said:
Are we sure we won't see those interspersed throughout other episodes? I'm guessing from the Giantbomb QL preview vid for example, the Dis or Dat segment isn't necessarily a regular bit for each ep. Wishful thinking maybe, but I can see it changing throughout.

Green Scar said:
If there's 73 episodes on disc there should be 27 DLC episodes. They could release 9 for 4 bucks or so. That's probably how they'll end up doing it.

They've got to pay for soundbooth costs guys ;)
And who knows, they may end up making the episodes longer in the DLC. More wishful thinking perhaps.

ascii42

Oh man. This is a day one purchase. Might have to also get it for my parents. You Don't Know Jack was one of the few games my mom would play.

ElNarez said:
Nope, The Lost Gold was 600, and I think that was the shortest one. Still, I don't think there's been a YDKJ game that had more than a thousand questions, excluding the netshow.

Actually, the first YDKJ on PS1 was a monster, 2 disk set, with 1500 questions and full length games. Maybe after the dlc this one will be more beefy, but the fixed 10 question length is a bummer, as the PS1 version let you set game length, and question order was randomized with the memory card keeping track of what you'd already heard. Aside from online, this one is a huge step back from a 1999 PS1 game. I'm still getting it, because I love this series and I'm happy it exists even in a neutered form.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I like the set order of the questions and episodes. Sure, the game could use a few more of them, but I'm happy with what I'll be getting for $30. There are plenty of random trivia games out there. This one benefits a great deal from its scripted nature. As seen in the Quick Look, they even get laughs with question sequence (string theory questions). That wouldn't be possible if it were random.

XiaNaphryz

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Aside from online, this one is a huge step back from a 1999 PS1 game. I'm still getting it, because I love this series and I'm happy it exists even in a neutered form.
By the time of the PS1 games, the series had been out for several years and had much more brand recognition and a core audience. I take this release as testing the waters after several years being gone, with a more fully featured release later (at likely a higher price point) if sales go well. I wouldn't really make a straight-up comparison on YDKJ at the peak of its popularity with it now in a completely different place in the market.

TheHakku

Green Scar said:
If there's 73 episodes on disc there should be 27 DLC episodes. They could release 9 for 4 bucks or so. That's probably how they'll end up doing it.

They've got to pay for soundbooth costs guys ;)
Probably the perfect amount to charge for packs including 9 episodes. You're paying slightly less than that considering buying the game for $30. I could go for DLC to bump that up to 100. Those guys worked hard to make 100 topical flash episodes (each week!) online before going down and setting up the "big news" deal with THQ.

Does NOONE remember The 5th Dementia, or more importantly, Volume 4: The RIDE? Those were amazing editions of the games set in a sequential episodic format.

AMUSIX said:

So there's not going to be any bonus games at all? That's kind of a deal breaker. If there's one thing they should've gotten rid of it's Jack Attack.

XiaNaphryz

ProfessorLobo said:
So there's not going to be any bonus games at all?
Unknown. If something like "Dis or Dat" counts, there's some semblance of them in. Variety as yet though, unknown.

bozeman

So, will random online matches on this be gimped within, say, 3 hours of release? I'd hate to pick it up a week after release, go online to play, only to get matched with some dude trying to grow his e-pein by memorizing every game and getting his answer as fast as possible and knowing the location of every "wrong answer of the game."

Fox Mulder

bozeman said:
So, will random online matches on this be gimped within, say, 3 hours of release? I'd hate to pick it up a week after release, go online to play, only to get matched with some dude trying to grow his e-pein by memorizing every game and getting his answer as fast as possible and knowing the location of every "wrong answer of the game."

eh, I'm mostly getting it to play with friends locally offline anyways. It should last more than a week for us playing it casually, and DLC will add more to it. I really have no interest in taking it online really.

AMUSIX

ProfessorLobo said:
So there's not going to be any bonus games at all? That's kind of a deal breaker. If there's one thing they should've gotten rid of it's Jack Attack.
Well, there's not going to be any keyboard games (gibberish, fill in the blank, whatshisname) and the only bonus game they've ever mentioned in leading up to this release has been Dis or Dat, which I suppose is the most iconic, but has been mentioned in a number of different bits.

There are at least the "It's the Put the Choices Into Order Then Buzz In and See If You Are Right Question" questions.

WildcardQuestion.jpg

AMUSIX

Hmmm, cool....it's still feeling a bit slim...but maybe I won't notice as much...

Hopefully this will be successful and we eventually see YDKJ The Movies 2 at some point. Loved the question number jingles in that, and this remains my favorite YDKJ commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbZN90lCekY
It's his sled!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gots my copy ordered! I only vaguely remember the old PS version of the game but what I do was more then enough ta want this one! 73 eps seems like alot to. It'll prolly take me a long while to "beat"! Lotsa giggling an messing up to be had! Can't wait!

Ondore

AMUSIX said:
Hmmm, cool....it's still feeling a bit slim...but maybe I won't notice as much...

Hopefully this will be successful and we eventually see YDKJ The Movies 2 at some point. Loved the question number jingles in that, and this remains my favorite YDKJ commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbZN90lCekY
It's his sled!

It's because of YDKJ Movies that I think the 7th deadly sin is "Trivia". :(

Would this game have any sort of "DON'T BE A WIMP" option?

Trakdown

Ondore said:
It's because of YDKJ Movies that I think the 7th deadly sin is "Trivia". :(

Would this game have any sort of "DON'T BE A WIMP" option?

God I hope so. It's a must for online.

XiaNaphryz

One day to release. Given the nature of the game I'm assuming this should be easy to find at Best Buys, Walmarts, Targets, etc.

People are complaining about how there aren't any gibberish questions, fill in the blanks and three ways but please, please tell me there are.......IMPOSSIBLE QUESTIONS!!!

I had a huge lead one time and I got the impossible question of "What is the color of the right eye of the guy on the You don't know Jack box?" Bam -20,000$ but I didn't care that I lost I laughed so hard.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I wish there was a way to set the questions up for the 360 Scene-It controllers. Those would be perfect.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Mine also shipped from Amazon and arriving Wednesday. Really looking forward to this and some friends and I are having a little party around it Friday night.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
didn't even know this was up. yeah i'm getting this tomorrow. pretty excited; having a couple friends over this weekend mostly just to play this

Doodis

Game is shipped. Ready to beat my kid sister into cerebral submission again like the 2000s never happened.

Trakdown

bucknuticus said:
Sad amazon didnt have release day shipping. :( Looks liek my copy is coming Wed though. I love me some YDKJ!

? Weird, mine's coming from Amazon tomorrow...check your order, they might have updated it.

Trakdown said:
Yeah, I'm prime here. Thing is, until just recently is was scheduled for the 11th.

I have prime, but did the free 2 day shipping didnt pay for 1 day. Mine was the 11th too, but when it shipped today changed to the 9th. It's only a state away so maybe ill get lucky.

Argyle

Picked this up today, played one episode with my girlfriend...been a long time since I have played YDKJ, really digging it :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's a day one DLC pack, 400 MS points ($5). No description on the marketplace to know how many questions and I haven't ran out to pick up the disc yet so I have no idea if there's an in-game description. 208 MB so it's not on-disc and probably has at least a handful of new episodes. If someone who has already picked the game up wants to check it out that'd be cool.

Top Bottom