• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Don't Know Jack |OT| None of these hostages leaves until Cookie gets his chopper

TommyT

I remember playing this a LONG time ago when it was on AOL. This, along with Acronysm (or something like that) was really fun to randomly play.

webrunner

Is this not available in Canada yet? Ebgames and Best Buy have it in their systems but show no stock, and Future Shop and Amazon.ca it doesn't even come up if you search.

Shit, games industry, I thought we were past this bullcrap.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TommyT said:
I remember playing this a LONG time ago when it was on AOL. This, along with Acronysm (or something like that) was really fun to randomly play.
Not sure what that one was, but Jellyvision/Berkeley Systems's (I have no idea what the specific connection is) own Acrophobia was fucking amazing. Probably the most fun I've had playing online to this day and literally still the best word game I've ever played by far.

TommyT

AstroLad said:
Not sure what that one was, but Jellyvision/Berkeley Systems's (I have no idea what the specific connection is) own Acrophobia was fucking amazing. Probably the most fun I've had playing online to this day and literally still the best word game I've ever played by far.

That's it! I knew it had something to do with acronyms.

PopfulMail

Stumpokapow said:
There's a day one DLC pack, 400 MS points ($5). No description on the marketplace to know how many questions and I haven't ran out to pick up the disc yet so I have no idea if there's an in-game description. 208 MB so it's not on-disc and probably has at least a handful of new episodes. If someone who has already picked the game up wants to check it out that'd be cool.

Good to know. Picking a copy up in an hour or so on my lunch. For 400 points... I'll snag the DLC tonight when I play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
TommyT said:
That's it! I knew it had something to do with acronyms.
Hahah yeah it was so fun. That was both where I came up with this username that I guess is over ten years running now and where I had my first clan play.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
webrunner said:
Is this not available in Canada yet? Ebgames and Best Buy have it in their systems but show no stock, and Future Shop and Amazon.ca it doesn't even come up if you search.

The local Microplay (lol) isn't carrying it and EBGames hasn't received its shipment today. I'll be checking Wal-Mart later on.

Minsc

Gold Member
Would also be very interested in knowing the DLC's length/# of questions and even more interested in availability of the DLC for the PC version (or is the DLC console only).

If the DLC is console only, I'll have to think twice about getting it on PC.

Edit: Speaking of iOS games (below), I also was thinking Jellyvision should totally port all their old games to iOS for like $4.99 each, they'd sell well enough, and it'd work pretty good being that there's a keyboard etc. Oh well, that's for another thread.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
just a tad worried but unsurprised about the total lack of awareness about this game; no reviews or anything as yet. in an age when a .99 barely functional iphone game gets coverage from literally dozens of outlets it's sad that YDKJ drops with such little fanfare.

oh well fingers crossed!

Minsc

Gold Member
MechDX said:
May have been asked so I apologize if it has been asked:

Do the Scene It buzzer remotes work with this?

Ok. Apparently they do:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puz...how_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-58017972&pid=608654

The bigger question is do they leave the answers in the diamond color-coded arrangement that corresponds to the 360 controller's buttons, or do they put them in the stripe format they are in on the Scene-It controllers.

If they leave them in a diamond, I really don't understand the draw to the Scene-It controllers, unless it's that you can map 8 controllers to 4 players or something so two people can have their own controllers and be on a team without sharing.

Or it may just be people don't have 4 controllers, that'd probably make more sense. The up/down/left/right format that I've seen the screens in corresponds to the buttons so nicely on a normal controller though, and might get confusing on a different layout.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Minsc said:
The bigger question is do they leave the answers in the diamond color-coded arrangement that corresponds to the 360 controller's buttons, or do they put them in the stripe format they are in on the Scene-It controllers.

We'll be testing that tonight if we can find a copy in town. If they don't change the visual display I'm not really sure why they claim to "support" the Scene-It controllers.

AstroLad said:

Yeah that was an awesome game. Someone brought it back a few years ago but it wasn't as good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ProfessorLobo said:
Yeah that was an awesome game. Someone brought it back a few years ago but it wasn't as good.
yeah i remember that. there were versions of the same game both before and after but one were as good. they just really nailed the silly aesthetics. bonus points if you remember the commercials, especially the midas moose one

isny

napkin dispenser
webrunner said:

Shit, games industry, I thought we were past this bullcrap.

This still happens with low profile games. Canada always gets the shaft. I'm sure we'll get it in 2-3 weeks.

Fox Mulder

I went ahead and got the DLC. It's $5 on top of a $30, so no big deal. It's kind of stupid that they didn't offer any kind of description though. I wonder how many people are going to blindly buy the DLC after already blindly buying the game.

The DLC has 10 episodes in it, but I haven't played any yet.

bkfount said:
I went ahead and got the DLC. It's $5 on top of a $30, so no big deal. It's kind of stupid that they didn't offer any kind of description though. I wonder how many people are going to blindly buy the DLC after already blindly buying the game.

Same here. The DLC is 10 more episodes if anyone's wondering.

ultron87

Mister Zimbu said:
Same here. The DLC is 10 more episodes if anyone's wondering.

So 50 cents an episode? That seems like a perfectly fair bargain.

I'd totally buy a 5 dollar pack of episodes every month if they quality kept up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah that does sound good. hope it's not like the buzz dlc where it's some boring-ass generic person reading the questions. that stuff is a rip.

Stumpokapow said:
There's a day one DLC pack, 400 MS points ($5). No description on the marketplace to know how many questions and I haven't ran out to pick up the disc yet so I have no idea if there's an in-game description. 208 MB so it's not on-disc and probably has at least a handful of new episodes. If someone who has already picked the game up wants to check it out that'd be cool.
According to gamestop, there are 4 additional DLC; 10 episode each.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
aww man I thought this was an xbox live download game, I had just sold myself on it and was gonna rope some friend in as well, but a full on retail game is much less likely to happen.

AstroLad said:

Twelve years later, I'm still pissed that "Master Magician Harry Houdini Can Free Himself" didn't win a round for me.

ultron87

kaizoku said:
aww man I thought this was an xbox live download game, I had just sold myself on it and was gonna rope some friend in as well, but a full on retail game is much less likely to happen.

It's only 30 bucks.

kaizoku said:
Certainly not 800 or 1200 pts but $29.99 aint bad.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
isny said:
This still happens with low profile games. Canada always gets the shaft. I'm sure we'll get it in 2-3 weeks.

Wal-Mart has it today in Canada (girlfriend got copy at lunch, awwww yeah), so it's probably just a one day shipping thing for EBGames.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Gah... did anyone buy the Steam version yet? I need to know if there's mulitplayer online for that one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HaRyu said:
Gah... did anyone buy the Steam version yet? I need to know if there's mulitplayer online for that one.

The Steam achievements page isn't up to check, but there are 10+ fewer achievements in the Steam version so I'm guessing no.

Haeleos

Stumpokapow said:
Wal-Mart has it today in Canada (girlfriend got copy at lunch, awwww yeah), so it's probably just a one day shipping thing for EBGames.

Just got back from an HMV that had it in as well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In my day we paid $40 ($50?) for quality trivia games and we liked it! This ain't no middling iOS or other DD game that sucks but that everyone seems to think is OK b/c it's cheap (ahem Quiz Game Land) this is a big quality production! (At least I hope.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AstroLad said:
In my day we paid $40 ($50?) for quality trivia games and we liked it! This ain't no middling iOS or other DD game that sucks but that everyone seems to think is OK b/c it's cheap (ahem Quiz Game Land) this is a big quality production! (At least I hope.)

Did anyone like Quiz Game Land? Really? QRank is the only iOS trivia game I've heard any praise for!

Fox Mulder

AstroLad said:

I've only played 2 episodes so far and it's great. Far better than the shitty scene it games I tolerated just because I love trivia games. I'll gladly support this game by buying the DLC if they keep it coming.

Trakdown

bkfount said:
I've only played 2 episodes so far and it's great. Far better than the shitty scene it games I tolerated just because I love trivia games. I'll gladly support this game by buying the DLC if they keep it coming.

Have you played an online game yet?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stumpokapow said:
Did anyone like Quiz Game Land? Really? QRank is the only iOS trivia game I've heard any praise for!
A lot of people recommended it when it first came out, which was what led to me picking it up. I don't begrudge anyone enthusiasm for a game, but premature and frankly unjustified seems to be really common in iOS land.

19Kilo

Any controller support for the PC version? Steam page doesn't say :(

I may have to go for the 360 version instead.

Edit: No mention of DLC for PC either I'm guessing?

Minsc

Gold Member
^ I've asked like 10 times in this thread (DLC), not buying any version til I find out.

Stumpokapow said:

MovieCat too! Was free yesterday and it's got some charm, definitely doesn't hold a candle to YDKJ though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
19Kilo said:
Any controller support for the PC version? Steam page doesn't say :(

I may have to go for the 360 version instead.

Edit: No mention of DLC for PC either I'm guessing?
I am pretty sure they will also sell the DLC on PC.

Taxman

I will miss the Gibberish Questions because the "fuck you" rants have always been my favorite thing about this series.

Top Bottom