• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite mainstream Hip-Hop/R&B songs from the 2000's

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_n0obro3XzQ1t407j4o1_500.gif

taimoorh

Arguable the best era of Hip-Hop/ R&B. The mid-late 90s come a close second.

Still Dre is the most iconic of that era. I mean everything listed here can be the top 1 for me, honestly, they were all so good.

Brinbe

There was a lot of shit in that decade, especially in the ring-tone era. But there's some gems in there I guess. That was my high-school/University days and I guess i'll have some appreciation for the stuff if only for that. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing...

Anyway, my contribution (because it's still bangs). Get By or What We Do

I suppose DMX and Andre 3000. Didnt really listen to hip hop back then, was more of a rock guy a the time.

Althought these days, I have learned to appreciate a few others. Bubba Sparxxx, petey pablo, and Sean Paul being some of them.

There was a lot of shit in that decade, especially in the ring-tone era. But there's some gems in there I guess. That was my high-school/University days and I guess i'll have some appreciation for the stuff if only for that. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing...

That's normal. Same thing happened in the 90's with Ice Ice Baby, U Can't Touch This and Bust A Move, they got a lot of backslash and were regarded by many Hip Hop fans as a disgrace to the genre. Their quality as a hip hop song can be disputed even today, but they're among the most recognizable songs ever made in the genre (perhaps in music) and there's a cult following among them.

shagia

there's many others out there but one of the most memorable is T-Pain - Buy U A Drank

honestly one of the most soulful, next level songs for it's time even with it's lyrical content, production was also just great, T wasn't the first but the act of aggressively altering your voice using pitch correction tools (even when he can sing) to have this robotic style of voice that sounds like a lighter version of Zapp going along with some real detailed production just worked

also you don't have to like soulja boy but you gotta give it to him for his hook game

m3k

i like most of whats posted so im gona throw in a random one the boys played a lot

not mainstream world wide but they shouldve been!

lil flip - rollin on 20s

whats your fantasy remix - ludacris ft camron, trina, trick daddy

redman methodman - whats happening

ll cool j - phatty girl

there's many others out there but one of the most memorable is T-Pain - Buy U A Drank

honestly one of the most soulful, next level songs for it's time even with it's lyrical content, production was also just great, T wasn't the first but the act of aggressively altering your voice using pitch correction tools (even when he can sing) to have this robotic style of voice that sounds like a lighter version of Zapp going along with some real detailed production just worked

also you don't have to like soulja boy but you gotta give it to him for his hook game

Yep.

T-Pain was the major responsible for the auto tune fad in the late 00's till early 10's. It was cool at first but got annoying lately because of overused. Many mainstream big guns like Rihanna, Britney Spears, Lil Wayne, Kanye West and Snoop Dogg, unfamiliar to this, decided to use autotune on their songs.

Jay-Z criticized it's overuse in D.O.A. (Death of Autotune)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom