• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite mainstream Hip-Hop/R&B songs from the 2000's

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's normal. Same thing happened in the 90's with Ice Ice Baby, U Can't Touch This and Bust A Move, they got a lot of backslash and were regarded by many Hip Hop fans as a disgrace to the genre. Their quality as a hip hop song can be disputed even today, but they're among the most recognizable songs ever made in the genre (perhaps in music) and there's a cult following among them.

Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer are trash,but Young MC I thought was underrated as hell. Stone Cold Rhymin' is a classic.

Vire

Don't mean to be a dick, but early 2000 hip hop made me think I hated rap.

God I have such horrible memories listening to Ja rule on the back on the school bus. Thank god the genre is in a much better place now imo.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The greatest thing about the 2000s rap and R&B was that when a good album was released, 95% of it had hits that could be radio-worthy or even #1 hits. Some were albums that told a story, some just had you movin' and groovin' for the entire thing. Look up most songs on any of these albums and you'll know what I mean. Producers like Kanye, Dr. Dre, Pharrell, P. Diddy and Timbaland were on fire back then.

JIgOoYf.jpg

BskChap.jpg

hmiyS0Y.jpg

e548ad0471a779011f8c292a2950a652.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

moCJBJi.jpg

11a1c0207c57c308c27a6366b0503d35.jpg

vxOyOE4.jpg

3BVEI2J.jpg

GujclhC.jpg

HijRuZJ.jpg

JXbTd9o.jpg

EwSDz82.jpg

j3caYfW.jpg

XSCYjAc.jpg

Apt101

I have too many to choose from. 1998-ish to 2009 was one of the best eras for hip hop. Perhaps the strongest.

^Well Milkshake isn't hip-hop.

Nas - Ether - Stillmatic
Nas - What Goes Around - Stillmatic
Nas - I Know I Can - God's Son
Jay-Z - Girls, Girls, Girls, - Blueprint
Outkast - So Fresh, So Clean = Stankonia
Outkast - Ms. Jackson - Stankonia
Outkast - Prototype - Love Below
Ms. Jade - Dead Wrong - Girl Interrupted
Lil Kim - Came Back for You - La Bella Mafia
Trina - Pull Over - Da Baddest Bitch
Kanye West - All Falls Down - College Dropout
Kanye West - Spaceship - College Dropout
Lupe Fiasco - Superstar - The Cool

Pretty short list for me for ten years, but of course this was the decline of mainstream hip-hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom