• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 3 games exclusive to each platform this generation?

shpankey

not an idiot
PC:
Battlefield 1942 - [Most original new multi-player game this generation and the gameplay is sublime, having 60+ people fight in a full out war with land, sea & air all mixed together simultaneously and you have yourself a masterpiece! This game would even make most peoples "all-time" lists.]

Nascar Racing 2003 Season - [With the ability to play with 43 people online, racing fender to bumper and have absolutely no lag, add to that a 4th generation GPL physics engine that is still the best of any simulation in the world even today and you got yourself on my list here.]

Diablo II - [Incredible depth and attention to detail, as many of you know, for many of us, this game is the closest thing to crack in a video game form ever created. Simply put, I can lose 9 hours in this game in a blink of an eye.]

Honorable Mention:
Unreal Tournament 2004 - [The game mode "Onslaught" is one of the best new modes created in quite awhile, that and bringing back the Assault mode, combined with the incredible graphics that amazingly run really well on even a low end sytem and you got a really great game.]

GameCube:
Luigi's Mansion - [One of the most underrated games on the system. It took a lot of flak because back then Nintendo fans were very sensitive to anything that portrayed their favorite system (unjustly I might add) as "kiddie". Very cute game that has a ton of atmosphere and kick back and relax gameplay. I really loved it.]

Rogue Leader - [A really great game with a nicely used Star Wars license.]

Resident Evil (remake) - [Wow, just incredible graphics! Indeed, the best graphics out there this generation probably, and I was amazed that I had pretty much forgotten all of this game, which made it like playing a new game entirely. The "tank" controls kind of suck but in a way it's a part of the appeal for me.]

PS2:
Ico - [It's one of those love it / hate it games. Most gamers, rightly, love it. As you can see in my list of games here, I am always picking a game with "atmosphere" and let me tell you, this is the pinnacle game out there for atmosphere. Top it off with a side of "puzzling" which is an all-time favorite for me, since the old classic masterpiece puzzler: Out of this World, and you have yourself an amazing experience! This game almost usurps my favorite game of all-time: Myth: TFL, by Bungie, but not quite as the multi-player in Myth is very deep and gives and gives. But the single player in Ico trounces *.* bar none]

Devil May Cry - [Wow, what style! When you say "style" in a game this game comes to the forefront. It also has that "atmosphere" I always speak so fondly of. Really great game, to bad the creators of this game left the series in the hands of buffoons.]

Gran Turismo 3 (will probably change to 4 soon) - [The top of the heap for racing simulations on a console. As a sim racer on the PC, I enjoy many great sims on that platform, but for the longest time sims on a console was not even a reality. GT3 changed that, or at least started to show that a console is a viable platform for the racing sim category. Every sim developer out there strives to match the in-game racing physics of this game (minus of course Papyrus who own everyone). The devs for GT3 are perfectionists, which for us gamers is a double edged sword... because they are perfectionists, we get the incredible polish and attention to detail, but also because they are the dev's won't do things in the game that are needed to make it the greatest sim out there (ie: proper crash physics, any damage modeling and the necessary cockpit view) because they simply won't do anything that they can't "perfect". Again, double edged sword - on a semi related note, sim racers should play the new GTR demo on the PC, it is incredible!]

Xbox:
Crimson Skies - [This is one of my favorite games on any system this generation. The quality of the control and the amazing sense of atmosphere is astounding.]

Halo - [Duh! This game (finally!) brought "quality" to FPS's on consoles. Today, every other FPS on a console out there strives to reach the level of quality this game demonstrated. Despite being rushed, Bungie (who also makes my greatest game of all-time Myth: TFL) shows its quality to the world and is no longer the inside secret of the few of us in the know. Some Bungie fans like me simply buy an Xbox because we are such fans of Bungie's work and will go where they go. PS: Jason Jones is a god (little "g") of game design and programming capability! IMO he's the best out there bar none.]

Fable - [This game takes a ton of heat because of "big mouth's" claim of greatest RPG ever, but if you can put the hype aside and just play it for what it is you will have a really great time. Yes it is a little short for most people, but to be honest, I don't want a game much longer than this because I think that's when games start adding filler material that is just fluff and this stuff usually sucks and then the game just gets boring.]

Honorable Mention:
NBA Inside Drive 2004 - [Simply put the greatest basketball game I have ever played, and one of the greatest sports game I've ever played (if not THE). This game gets no respect partly because of the poor graphics and partly just for being on the Xbox, but those who have gotten into it, know very well what I am saying here. This game is a masterpiece of gameplay that has still yet to be matched. The inclusion of individual player sliders was genius.]

Multi-Platform:
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - [Atmosphere to the hilt! I also loved the platforming and puzzles (tho they weren't too hard and I wish it had more of them). Definately one of my favorite games this generation, right under Ico and right above Crimson Skies. I hope part 2 doesn't get ruined by the action and fighting which seems to be taking a front seat.]

NCAA College Football 200x - [The best football game going. This year was a down year for the series, but even that, it's still by far the best. I love it and my Sooners trounce ALL comers! Mwhahaha.]

Sega's NHL 2kx - [This series has actually gotten me back into hockey games, which had before really fallen off the charts of quality. Sega shows with this series they still have talent left, but then they make the uber shitty NBA 2kx game which makes me lose confidence in them. Ugh.]

Honorable Mention:
Splinter Cell - [Really nice game that IMO made playing MGS games a freaking chore. I love the "over the shoulder" viewpoint using Halo like controls. The control in Splinter Cell is incredible and simply wipes its ass with the MGS control style. Also, the graphics are a marvel to behold and using all of the gadgets was really fun and interesting. If now the devs could only match MGS in all the other areas it would really have something, but alas, I don't see that happening. If I could have MGS with Splinter Cell graphics, controls, viewpoint and gadgets, I'd have the game of the century. Instead both have flaws that really take away from the game, which is why this game falls to Honorable Mention.]

radcliff

Gamecube:

Metroid Prime
Resident Evil
Tales of Symphonia

PS2:

Devil May Cry
Ico
Rachet & Clank 2

XBOX:

Ninja Gaiden
Halo
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Multi-Platform:

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Viewtiful Joe
Splinter Cell

cvxfreak

- GameBoy Advance -
Fire Emblem
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (and Emerald)
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green

- GameCube -
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Resident Evil Zero
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

- PlayStation 2 -
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Resident Evil Outbreak

- Xbox -
Dead or Alive 3
(no other exclusives interest me)

- Multiplatform -
GC - Soul Calibur II
PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance/Silent Hill 3
Xbox - Genma Onimusha

Ranger X

PS2
Grand theft Auto series
Jak 2
Maximo 2

XBOX
Project Gotham Racing 2
Halo series
OMGWTF no more exclusives i truly like

GC
Pikmin 2
Metroid Prime series
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour

olimario

Banned
GAMECUBE
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER
METROID PRIME
PIKMIN 2

SSB:M

Resident Evil Zero
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Talk about opposite tastes. I hate those two titles and think they are horribly flawed.

AniHawk

Game Boy Advance
3. Pokemon Ruby
2. The Lost Age - A sequel that kicks the original's ass in every single way. Great game, great RPG.
1. Fire Emblem - Perhaps the best and most addicting SRPG I've ever had the pleasure of playing. The US needs more of these gems.

Xbox
3. Fable
2. Panzer Dragoon Orta - :D
1. Knights of the Old Republic - :D :D

Playstation 2
3. Final Fantasy X
2. Devil May Cry
1. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando - My favorite platformer of this generation. Loved it.

Dreamcast
3. Jet Grind Radio
2. Grandia II (the good version is exclusive)
1. Shenmue II (ditto)

Gamecube
3. Pikmin 2
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
1. The Wind Waker

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
PC:

Rise Of Nations
Rome: Total War
<Spot Reserved for Half Life 2>

XBox:

Halo (will probably replace with sequel)
Ninja Gaiden
KOTOR

GC:

Metroid Prime
SSB:M
Tales of Symphonia (Replace with Zelda:WW when ToS comes out on PS2 i suppose)

PS2:

ummm...

Mrbob

Only one I feel like posting right now is for Xbox 'cause it's the hawtness. Not necessarily in any order except the one listed below:

1) Hollla series
2) Ninja Rap
3) Good Star Wars game soon to be series

Honorable mention 'cause it isn't out yet but will rock:

Brand new bioware game for xbox

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
GameCube:
1) Wind Waker
2) Four Swords Adventures
3) F-Zero GX

Xbox:
1) Halo
2) Colin McRae Rally 2005
3) Guilty Gear X#R

PlayStation2:
1) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
2) ICO
3) Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Eric-GCA

Banned
PS2
ICO/Wanda
GTA's
DMC's (minus 2)

GameCube
Metroid Prime/Echoes
Paper Mario 2
Eternal Darkness

PC
Half Life 2
F.E.A.R.
WOW

Mashing

These are in no paticular order.

PS2
Dark Cloud 2
Final Fantasy X
Ummm, not sure

Gamecube
Metroid Prime
Tales of Symphonia
Zelda: TWW

Xbox
Halo
Knights of the Old Republic

GBA
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Golden Sun 2
Advance Wars

cvxfreak

olimario said:
Talk about opposite tastes. I hate those two titles and think they are horribly flawed.

Interesting. I absolutely hated Metroid Prime (thought it was trashy and boring) and Zelda games aren't my bag. Opposite tastes indeed.

xsarien

daedsiluap
GameCube:
F-Zero GX
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful J---dammit.

PS2:
Frequency
Katamari Damacy
Rez

XBox:
Outrun 2

(What can I say? I'm really fucking picky.)

Catalyst

Banned
GameCube:
Metroid Prime
Animal Crossing
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

PlayStation2:
Final Fantasy XI (console exclusive, I'm not a PC gamer)
Ico
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Substance edition -- featured EXCLUSIVE content!)

Xbox:
Halo (console exclusive)
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (console exclusive)
Shenmue II (in the states :D)

Game Boy Advance:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Golden Sun
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire

EDIT: Oh shit...it says exclusive.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
some of these aren't really "exclusive," but:

ps2:
gradius v
dodonpachi daioujou
contra: ss

xbox:
halo
ninja gaiden
panzer orta

gc:
pikmin 2
super monkey ball
pn03

dc:
jet set radio
bangaioh
border down

gba:
astro boy
advance guardian heroes
klonoa g2

PC:
Counter-Strike
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Dark Ages of Camelot

Gamecube:
Super Smash Bros: Melee
Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime

Very likely to change.

GBA:
Pokemon: LG/FR
Fire Emblem
Metroid: Zero Mission

I never played a Metroid game until this generation. Awesome stuff.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
GameCube
1. Pikmin 1
2. Metroid Prime
3. Resident Evil

Xbox:

Halo. "Flaws" and all remains an excellent experience.

MechAssault. I'm a Mech fan, and while other games were more polished, and more hyped and perhaps better. It still retains an excellent community on live and it's ease of use makes it a good game to just play and have a good time.

StarWars BattleFront. This may just be the fact that I recently picked this up and that I fucking love Star Wars. But just the concept of you and fifteen other guys loaded into AT-ATs and and AT-STs battling across the tundra of Hoth... It's lovely.

PS2:

Final Fantasy X. Sure, it's not FFVII or the classic lines. But it was good, the story I liked. Tidus took the lead role in a new direction, not everyone liked it but at least they did. And God love 'em they made it turn based.. no timer or anything.

Soul Calibur 2. It was multi-platform but I picked it up for this one, and I'm glad I did. So is ArcadeStickMonk because it finally got me to convert to a stick over a pad.

Kingdom Hearts. This is kind of debatable I suppose, I won't deny some level design and AI flaws. But this was certainly one for the fans, and the story to me was wonderful. Sort of like wandering through a virtual world and seeing some old friends.

GC

I don't own one so I don't think I'm qualified to comment here.

PC

Man... Did I even but 3 titles this year?

I picked up Ground Control 2, that was good.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
PS2
-Castlevania: LoI
-Contra: SS
-Gradius V

GCN
-Metroid Prime
-Zelda:WW
-StarFox Adventures

XBOX
-Halo
-Ninja Gaiden
-Outrun 2

GBA
-Castlevanias
-Metroids

Multiplatform
-TimeSplitters 2
-NFS:HP2
-Soul Calibur 2

Korranator

PC

Diablo 2
Morrowind
Gothic (series)

PS2

SMT3 - Nocturne
Disgaea
ICO

GC

Viewtiful Joe
Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime

Xbox

KOTOR
Halo
RSC (series)

jiggle

PS2:
Final Fantasy X
Shadow Hearts 2
Kingdome Hearts

Gamecube:
Animal Crossing
Pikmin

Xbox:
Panzer Dragoon Orta
DOA3
DOAXBV

GBA:
FFTA
Pokemons
Wario Inc

Bristow

Banned
GC:

Metroid Prime
Eternal Darkness
Super Monkey Ball

PS2:

Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Ratchet & Clank 2

Xbox:

Halo
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Kotor

evil ways

Xbox:

Ninja Gaiden
KOTOR
DOA3

PS2:

Devil May Cry
King of Colosseum Red/Green/II
Ratchet & Clank Going Commando

Gamecube:

Resident Evil Remake
Legend of Zelda Collection

Multi:

Red Dead Revolver
Beyond Good & Evil
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack

Game Boy Advance
3. Mario _ Luigi Superstars
fun on cart

2. MR DRILLER
fun on cart

1. CV AOS
best gba CV. fun on cart

Xbox
3. Halo
okay. I didn't like it that much but I did enjoy it better than everything else on the xbox.

2. Panzer Dragoon Orta
beautiful and great

1. RSC2
truly worthy of next gen tag

Playstation 2
3. Kindom Hearts
They made it work and
Ansem
was a great villian (great twist)

2. Metal Gear Solid 2 SOL
Over the top story > *

1. Space Channel 5 Part II (if not exclusive replace with gitaroo)
Up chu chu. Great cheesy. Ulala guitar fight is super fun

Dreamcast
3. Jet Grind Radio
Best Sega game on the DC

2. Space Channel 5
3rd Best Sega game on the DC

1. Rez
2nd Best Sega game on the DC

Gamecube
3. Pikmin 2
fantastic AAA+ game

2. Metroid Prime
they made it work. Great visuals, bosses and they MADE it work in 3d.

1. Remake[/QUOTE]
stunning

PC
1. Fallout 1
2. Fallout 2
3. Wasteland
(Absolutely loved the post-apocalyptic themes. Pity no one has made something else in this genre). Absolutely loved the drug themes, the violence, the duality and TRUE open gameplay.

(the exclusive bit gets me; especially the SEGA ports). Top 3 is limiting

Dyne

- GBA -

Golden Sun (The first one; the second one sucks)
Fire Emblem
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

- XBOX -

Ninja Gaiden
Halo
Shenmue 2

- GCN -

Metroid Prime
The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker
Animal Crossing / Mario Kart

- PS2 -

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
Katamari Damacy
Fatal Frame 2

MutFox

Banned
Just so you guys know,
HALO and KotOR are NOT X-Box Exclusive.
They are on the PC too, you gotta try better than that.

etiolate

Banned
GBA
Wario Ware
Metroid Zero Mission
Mario & Luigi

Gamecube
Metroid Prime
Wind Waker
SSB:Melee

PS2
Ico
Devil May Cry
Katamari Damacy

Deku Tree

Game Boy Advance
3. Metroid Zero Mission
2. Wario Ware
1. Mario & Luigi SS

Xbox
3. Ninja Gaiden
2. Halo
1. Knights of the Old Republic

Playstation 2
3. Kingdom Hearts
2. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
1. Final Fantasy X

Gamecube
2. Pikmin 2
2. Super Mario Sunshine
1. Metroid Prime
1. The Wind Waker

Solid

MutFox said:
Just so you guys know,
But.. but it sad "Only on Xbox" on the cover :'(

Ramirez

NGC:
Metroid Prime
Tales of Symphonia
Animal Crossing

PS2:
R&C Series
TM:Black
FFX

Xbox:
Halo
KOTOR
Ninja Gaiden

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Gamecube

1) Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2) F-Zero GX
3) Super Smash Bros. Melee

Xbox

1) Halo
2) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3) Panzer Dragoon Orta

PlayStation 2

1) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
2) Katamari Damacy
3) Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

Game Boy Advance

1) Fire Emblem
2) Metroid Zero Mission
3) Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

MutFox said:
Just so you guys know,
BAH!

But if I had to throw them out, then Ninja Gaiden and Fable would replace them.

Anyway, it was really hard to pick a true top 3 for the PS2. There are just too many really, really solid games that I love for it, but not really any clear/obvious standouts like there are on the Xbox and the GC.

MetatronM said:
Gamecube

Anyway, it was really hard to pick a true top 3 for the PS2. There are just too many really, really solid games that I love for it, but not really any clear/obvious standouts like there are on the Xbox and the GC.

what do you mean? Because there are too many good games - it negates their goodness? It sort of makes sense..but not really. Its just harder to pick 3. The PS2 has too many top class titles.

Malakhov

Banned
Xbox:

Halo
Star Wars KOTOR
Fable

Playstation 2:

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates
The Mark of Kri
Don't really have a 3rd, maybe Dark Cloud.

Gamecube:

Meh

PC:

Too many to think of a top 3.

Hellraizah

Xbox :

Halo (best game this generation)
Metal Slug 3 (SNK love)
Ninja Gaiden (best action title ever)

PS2 :

Street Fighter : Anniversary Collection (for Third Strike, screw Hyper)
Gradius V
Contra : Shattered Soldier

GameCube :

WaveBird
Super Monkey Ball 2
Puyo Pop Fever

jarrod

Banned
Out of platforms I've owned...

Game Boy Advance
-Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
-Advance Wars
-Dragon Quest Slime Morimori

PlayStation 2
-Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
-Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
-Ico

GameCube
-Pikmin 2
-F-Zero GX
-Super Mario Sunshine

Dreamcast
-Jet Grind Radio
-sorry, that's it. :/

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreenGiant said:
what do you mean? Because there are too many good games - it negates their goodness? It sort of makes sense..but not really. Its just harder to pick 3. The PS2 has too many top class titles.
What I mean is that there is such a large quantity of top notch games, it's really difficult to pick out just three that I would consider superior to the others. The GC and Xbox are both pretty easy, because the games that would fit in that top 3 category are pretty clear cut to me. I could have swapped Ninja Gaiden for PDO, but that was really the only choice I had to make.

But on my PS2 list, I could have easily taken any one of those games I listed out and add Gran Turismo 3, GTA III, FFX, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, ICO, Rez, (it's an exclusive in the US), VF4 Evo, or Winning Eleven in its place and not really feel like I was overrating any particular game.

Auron

I believe many of the best games are yet to come:

GameCube:

Legend of Zelda 2005
Resident Evil 4
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

PS2:

Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy X

XBOX:

DOA Ultimate