• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You've all been waiting for this day. It was inevitable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Vivian Banks #1 vs.

75-12754-sm.jpg

Vivian Banks #2

fresh_prince3.jpg

Also,

Baby Nicky vs.

nicky1-2_jpg.jpg

Kid Nicky

sm_Nicky.jpg

I looked into it and apparently they are NOT the same person!

HAVE AT IT!

pilonv1

Vivian Banks #1. No contest. New Vivian was good for one joke from Jazzy Jeff. And baby Nicky over annoying shit Nicky. See a pattern? Old Fresh Prince house series > New Fresh Prince house series.

maharg

idspispopd
Anyway, changing Becky (in Roseanne) twice was a way more serious infraction of continuity than either of these. I barely noticed Vivian's change.

Socreges

Banned
maharg said:
Anyway, changing Becky (in Roseanne) twice was a way more serious infraction of continuity than either of these. I barely noticed Vivian's change.
THRICE!

Sarah Chalke was better, anyhow..

maharg

idspispopd
Socreges said:
THRICE!

Sarah Chalke was better, anyhow..

No way. The original was better. Much more believable for the role. Sarah Chalke was too soft-spoken and nice.

I had no idea they switched again after bringing the original back. Weird.

The last season had an episode set in the future with Dan playing DJ being insane and constantly mumbling "They say she's the same but she's not the same..." over and over again. That was great.

The Becky's switch in Roseanne was the most drastic I've seen. Sarah Chalke had a completely different personality from Lecy Gorenson. Gorenson was a selfish little brat and Chalke was much nicer and caring.

Don't forget the 2 Mrs. Drummond's from Diff'rent Stokes. Mary Ann Mobley and then Dixie Carter.

maharg

idspispopd
Exactly. It was really noticable when she and Darlene interacted, since darlene would snipe at her and Becky was totally weaksauce.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
pilonv1 said:
Vivian Banks #1. No contest. New Vivian was good for one joke from Jazzy Jeff. And baby Nicky over annoying shit Nicky. See a pattern? Old Fresh Prince house series > New Fresh Prince house series.

Jazzy Jeff also made a joke about how Baby Nicky went from infant to 5 years old over the summer. :lol

xsarien

daedsiluap
mrmyth said:
Old Vivian wanted too much moolah and a bigger part in the decision-making process.

The story I heard involved Will Smith constantly making lewd remarks to her, and the producers had to make a decision on who to keep, and obviously getting rid of the star wasn't an option.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
xsarien said:
The story I heard involved Will Smith constantly making lewd remarks to her, and the producers had to make a decision on who to keep, and obviously getting rid of the star wasn't an option.

That's strange cause Vivian #1 is nothing in terms of looks compared to Vivian #2... or in general IMO.

The inside jokes on the Roseanne show that referenced the switch were hilarious.

Guzim

Old Vivian > New Vivian.

And don't forget Andrew from Family Ties. That little twerp almsot killed the show.

Penguin

Well since we are doing this.

How about disappearing kids?

And what about the switch of mothers on Family Matters. Sure it was only for like 10 episodes or so, but damn that was a dumb move.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Penguin said:
Well since we are doing this.

How about disappearing kids?

And what about the switch of mothers on Family Matters. Sure it was only for like 10 episodes or so, but damn that was a dumb move.

Don't forget that other Winslow kid that they took off, I can't even remember her name.

bjork

xsarien said:

"This just proves you can make a successful rap album without cursing... but if your tv costars bug you, sexually harass them"

Penguin

Grizzlyjin said:
Don't forget that other Winslow kid that they took off, I can't even remember her name.

Jody.

There was the kid from Boy Meets World, but she returned after like 4 seasons.

Another son from Step by Step, who vanished for the final season.

I'm sure there were others.

I never did find out what happened to the family in "In The House" when only the daughter stayed around.

Miguel

LOL
Judith disappearing from Family Matters was hilarious. After seeing a few eps with her missing, I was like...uh...wasn't there another? Eddie? Laura....Where's Judy?

:p

And old Vivian > new Vivian.

I don't even REMEMBER baby nicky....lol.

Miguel

Penguin said:
Jody.

I never did find out what happened to the family in "In The House" when only the daughter stayed around.

Oh yeah, lol

Austin was fucking annoying, and the mom was even worse. I was glad they left.

Anyone else?

Guzim

Miguel said:
Austin was fucking annoying
No way. He was the reason why that entire show was watchable.

And since we're on the topic of shows jumping the shark, you can't forget Sliders when Professor Arturo died.

Grizzlyjin

Penguin said:
Jody.

That punky nerd kid from In The House was annoying to begin with. The only reason the young attrative daughter stayed was for ratings. She was hot, and the rest of the family was NOT. They got rid of the family and focused more on LL and his gym.

I remember when Step by Step and Family Matters went to CBS for a little while and then got cancelled. They were both pretty bad by that time anyway.

Poor Judy...
*fires up Kazaa*

shoplifter

DarienA said:
The inside jokes on the Roseanne show that referenced the switch were hilarious.

My favorite (after Sarah Chalke --- HAWT --- had left the show) : Sarah Chalke walks into the kitchen acting completely normal..Roseanne looks at her..."Who the hell are you?"

effzee

when was the new vivian an aunt while the old vivian was still on the show?

btw for me new vivian was much better. she fit the "mom" role better.

Eric's sister (Laurie) from That 70's show was replaced. I don't know if it will be permanent, though. Supposedly she was fired because her drug use was causing problems. The producers told her to get treatment or else risk losing her job, but she wasn't able to keep up her end of the deal. They had another girl play the role a couple of times, but she was horrible. The personality was totally off. Laurie was slutty and ditzy, but she had warmth. This new girl was too serious and cold.

Donna's mom also disappeared.

mrmyth

effzee said:
when was the new vivian an aunt while the old vivian was still on the show?

btw for me new vivian was much better. she fit the "mom" role better.

She wasn't.

The dissapearing kid thing has been happening for quite a while - Ritchie Cunningham had a brother Chuck that went upstairs one episode and never returned.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Sandra Huxtable didn't exist for the first couple episodes of the Cosby Show. Heathcliffe even made a joke about it - "Dear, why did we have four children? Because we didn't want five!"

human5892

Queen of Denmark
RobotChant said:
Donna's mom also disappeared.
She was written off, though, so it at least made sense; most of the shows being mentioned had the characters go missing without any explanation at all.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
mrmyth said:
On the opposite end of the spectrum, Sandra Huxtable didn't exist for the first couple episodes of the Cosby Show. Heathcliffe even made a joke about it - "Dear, why did we have four children? Because we didn't want five!"

As far as I know, that's not a joke about it so much as a funny thing to look back on when they did in fact introduce a fifth child.

EDIT: It's Crave rather than Craven apparently. She...well, she doesn't look great. Huge forehead/receding hairline.

ohamsie

What about the Jimmy Olsen switch in that Superman show where Dean Cain was superman and Terri Hatcher was Lois Lane? The two actors didn't look alike at all.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
How about name changes? Did anyone else notice how John Stamos's character's name changed after the first season of Full House? Before being known as "Jesse Katsoplis", his name was "Jesse Cochran." My theory has always been that they got some kind of 20-for-1 deal on Greek immigrants and they needed someone to be their cousin.

bjork

ohamsie said:
What about the Jimmy Olsen switch in that Superman show where Dean Cain was superman and Terri Hatcher was Lois Lane? The two actors didn't look alike at all.

The one with the black hair (I think he was the second Jimmy) was also Riley Roberts on the Torkelsons, which was another show that magically lost half its cast... the mom moved in with some guy, and only Dorothy Jane, the nerdy brother, and the little girl made the move. Everyone else was left in the old house and starved to death or something, I don't think they ever said what happened to them. That show also had, iirc, that Brittany Murphy chick, pre-clueless.

Small world.

Penguin

Let's see, I don't know if this was ever explained, but how was Aunt Rachel written out of Family Matters? I just remember Richie staying with them, and it was always weird with me.

*Tries to think of something else*

There are tons of TV shows where somone says they are an only child/have a set number of siblings, but somehow it increases. Like I always thought Rachel on Friends had one sister...

Socreges

Banned
Penguin said:
Like I always thought Rachel on Friends had one sister...
Before either sister was on, she DID reference having two sisters who "aren't very nice". I just saw the episode the other day. I actually watch the show very rarely, although I would watch it religiously about five years ago.

And when I say that Sarah Chalke was "better", I really mean that she was "hotter".

Guzim

On The Cosby Show for a few episodes Cliff's full name was Clifford, but in the rest of the series he's known as Heathcliff. Then as a joke in the last season in one episode, Clair called him Heathclifford.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
The new Becky on Roseanne sucked. Right around when she came the show started getting real horrible after.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Oh yeah. Did anyone else notice they got rid of John Ritter on 8 Simple Rules.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
All of the above are hilarious.

I'd also like to throw in all the Saved by the Bell stuff that doesn't make sense (about 213291 of them). There's a website that points out all the SbtB irregularities that's fucking hilarious...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
How about the complete switch of parents in Seinfeld? Jerry's parents changed after a couple of seasons, first his mother then his father (or maybe it was just his mother?). The same thing happened with George's parents too, but they got switched just after a few episodes I think.

And Newman was kind of switched too. I remember his first appearence, as he was going to jump from the roof to try to commit suicide. Kramer was talking (screaming) to Newman, and he was screaming back, but he had a totally different voice compared to the "real" Newman. Also, you never actually got to see him during that episode.

Socreges

Banned
Kiriku said:
How about the complete switch of parents in Seinfeld? Jerry's parents changed after a couple of seasons, first his mother then his father (or maybe it was just his mother?). The same thing happened with George's parents too, but they got switched just after a few episodes I think.
Jerry's first father was only in the pilot. His mother was the same. Elaine was also not in the pilot.

George's parents were never changed, I'm pretty sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom