• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You've unlocked a quick save option in real life...

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
... what's the first thing that you want to do?

You can quick save and then quick load at any time, with no consequences. Go.

EDIT: you only have 1 save slot. You can overwrite but you can't create additional saves.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Save scum until a trillionaire. Then pocket a save state, invest most of it in life extension research, revert save state periodically as necessary and redo with accumulated knowledge in-hand. Reverse aging. Then live forever, enjoy life, guide human development, avoid/revert catastrophes.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Save scum until a trillionaire. Then pocket a save state, invest most of it in life extension research, revert save state periodically as necessary and redo with accumulated knowledge in-hand. Reverse aging. Then live forever, enjoy life, guide human development, avoid/revert catastrophes.

You can quick save and quick load dude, you're already immortal. All that stuff sounds like a lot of work.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You can quick save and quick load dude, you're already immortal. All that stuff sounds like a lot of work.
Mmm. You don't have multiple save slots, typically, when you quick save and quick load. In order for meaningful things to happen you have to advance time, but you'll get older and people you care about will die. Let's say you want to have kids. If you have a quicksave before that, you go through that entire journey, but then you die or want to revert, you'll erase them from existence by quickloading.

Solving aging allows you to address all of that. You can save your loved ones, periodically update your quicksave if you want to without locking in yourself as an old and decrepit person, etc.

There's more to life than short term gratification.

It is a lot of work, yes, but you have all the time in the world to figure it out.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Mmm. You don't have multiple save slots, typically, when you quick save and quick load. In order for meaningful things to happen you have to advance time, but you'll get older and people you care about will die. Let's say you want to have kids. If you have a quicksave before that, you go through that entire journey, but then you die or want to revert, you'll erase them from existence by quickloading.

Solving aging allows you to address all of that. You can save your loved ones, periodically update your quicksave if you want to without locking in yourself as an old and decrepit person, etc.

There's more to life than short term gratification.

True, I already have family so I wasn't even thinking in these terms. OK, let's add an extra rule: 1 slot only.

I tell you what I would do. I would rent a big ass villa in some really nice part of the world, get all my friends and family there and quick save. That would be step 1.

Would certainly help with asking people out lol. Quick save... ask... got a no? Quick load haha.

Her: what were you going to say?
Me: nahhhhhh... never mind.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wasn’t there a Rick and Morty episode like this?

I feel like I’d just use it for benign things, like eating a good hot dog twice.

Quick save as soon as I got the power. Then make some money, but not too much, just a few millions to have a house and to be safe for the rest of my life. Quick load means that I can see all that this world have to offer, and make time and space irrelevant, as I can go back in time after each event that I want to do and regain the money/effort I would loose for doing it. Afer a few months of having fun I would begin to work on what I can really do with this power. Basically time only move when I decide so, so we are talking about real time and "free" time. Free time being the time that I use before going back to my save.
I think that I can divide what I would want to do in 3 ways:
Getting better.
Providing for me and my family.
Doing what I can for the world. Being able to be there where and when I want means that I can create a true history of the world. This would be my life vocation I think. Create the biggest archive the world would see.
Of course the law 0 would be looking for a equal in this world. If I have this power, either someone gave it to me, and can take it back, or there is others with it or there will be.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
So when you die you get the quick load option? Is that what I'm getting here? In that case probably just quick save right now and live a lot of different full lives. Maybe get some lotto numbers and quick load with them in mind as a first step. But I'd consider living out my normal life without using it just to know what my normal life was going to be. And then you can start doing all the crazy shit, and once that gets boring after a few million of perceived years, I guess Alt+F4.

Blade2.0

How long do I get to save before I can't load again? A day, a week? I'd just make myself live groundhogs day until I'm tired of living and then load up and continue my "original" life until I actually die of natural causes. Do I get to retain the knowledge I learned during saves? Because that determines whether I can actually do a lot or not.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Wasn’t there a Rick and Morty episode like this?

I feel like I’d just use it for benign things, like eating a good hot dog twice.

Yep. It was the vat of acid episode. One of the best episodes of season 4. Really fucked up.

nkarafo

Just quick load the same few days over and over. Kinda like Groundhog's day. After i get bored let the days pass and save the next batch. Repeat until too old (after a few thousand years), die in some accident or someone murders me. Explore as much as i can during that time, try to earn many new skills that would normally require many lifetimes, enjoy everything that can be enjoyed by a human being, explore the whole world, have sex with millions of women, make every guilty pleasure a reality with no consequences.

Last edited:
With only 1 save slot, it becomes incredibly difficult to make big changes in the world. You're more likely to find yourself in a situation that you cannot ever escape from no matter how many times you reload if you actually try to do big things. I would limit use of save scumming with only 1 slot to small things like cheating in the stock market and asking the girl you like out, things like that. Trying to actually become the Emperor of Mankind with only 1 save slot is asking for unavoidable death scenarios.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
With only 1 save slot, it becomes incredibly difficult to make big changes in the world. You're more likely to find yourself in a situation that you cannot ever escape from no matter how many times you reload if you actually try to do big things. I would limit use of save scumming with only 1 slot to small things like cheating in the stock market and asking the girl you like out, things like that. Trying to actually become the Emperor of Mankind with only 1 save slot is asking for unavoidable death scenarios.
True, it’s a challenge. But you can mitigate that by being patient enough and willing to do long term resets as well as test runs advancing the clock much further out with the same choices before locking in an incremental save state.

Really, all you need is the initial save point before accomplishing anything, left intact, if you want to do it properly hardcore. Redoing the wealth accumulation is trivial and you might want to do it in such a way that you remain completely anonymous, like a Satoshi figure, which would require multiple runs to optimize for.

It’s doable.

Power Pro

Save state the night before big lottery...see the winning numbers, quick load and win the lottery. Live the good life.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
nbc GIF by Superstore

I think you would drive yourself mad. That would be no life.

Last edited:

probably the trillionaire part. make a save before the next big Power Ball lotto. find out what the number is if nobody wins. load the save back to before the lotto drawing and get the numbers. once you get the lotto money, overwrite the save and then use the ability for short term investments using the save and load. the eternal life thing thou. I'm not sure I would want it unless I can make the people I love also live as long as I do. and definitely no guiding human development. hell, if anything, I would probably use my wealth and power to make it so that the world fall into chaos or something.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Too many questions regarding quick save quick load. Does the world state also reloads like if I quick save on Monday and decide I fucked up my week and reload, does the entire universe reload? Or just my body state? If Its basically just going back in time Im not sure how helpful it can be. I can use it to win the lottery but other than that, it's not immortality per say as you keep reloading and going back in the past to relive all the same events. That would get fucking boring eventually.

Too many questions regarding quick save quick load. Does the world state also reloads like if I quick save on Monday and decide I fucked up my week and reload, does the entire universe reload? Or just my body state? If Its basically just going back in time Im not sure how helpful it can be. I can use it to win the lottery but other than that, it's not immortality per say as you keep reloading and going back in the past to relive all the same events. That would get fucking boring eventually.

Every day of your life has near infinite possibilities. It would only get boring if you have no imagination.

dave_d

My problem is the consequences. I mean for this to be useful to me the "original" save would have to be back at least in my teenage years because there's a ton of stuff I would change if I could. However if I were to do that and re-run my life it would basically erase people in my life. (IE run my life again and I lose my nieces and my nephew. There's no way I'd want that.) If you gave me a save for "now" sure I could do changes without erasing them but the things I would really want to change I wouldn't be able to touch. (Since those happened long ago.) I know I mentioned it but a save editor would be what I'd really want.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
Jesus, Evilore, when do you get time to think about the Roman Empire?

Top Bottom