• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta |OT|

Aeana

I laid the Vita on my leg for a moment to type in chat, and the game kept switching between the two AI modes. I couldn't figure out how to do it on purpose, so I checked the manual and it says you have to pinch inward or outward on the edges of the backpad on the left and right sides. I mentioned it to my friend, and she was like "so you're goatseing the Vita?"

Indeed.

Salaadin

I laid the Vita on my leg for a moment to type in chat, and the game kept switching between the two AI modes. I couldn't figure out how to do it on purpose, so I checked the manual and it says you have to pinch inward or outward on the edges of the backpad on the left and right sides. I mentioned it to my friend, and she was like "so you're goatseing the Vita?"

Indeed.

Your friend is awesome.

Come on XSEED, announce the localisation already

Someone suggested that maybe theyre waiting until RO is released before they announce their next project. I hope so. Im getting impatient.

I love reading impressions from you guys, though. Makes the wait a little more bearable.

Aeana

I've got a lot of thoughts about the game floating around in my head. I'll need to gather them together to put together a coherent impressions post. I do want to mention, though, that I appreciate how much tighter the flash guard timing is. It's much more difficult to pull off, so much less tempting to rely on constantly. Flash move as well, the timing is pretty tight on it so it's fun to actually pull it off.

hongcha

I've played about an hour and I'm really enjoying it. The graphics aren't too great but the framerate is really smooth and stable. The music is fantastic, the gameplay is really tight and the story is moving at a nice pace.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jealousssss. I could get this next week, but we'll see how Canadian customs feels about that.

I've got a lot of thoughts about the game floating around in my head. I'll need to gather them together to put together a coherent impressions post. I do want to mention, though, that I appreciate how much tighter the flash guard timing is. It's much more difficult to pull off, so much less tempting to rely on constantly. Flash move as well, the timing is pretty tight on it so it's fun to actually pull it off.
Thank goodness for that.

I noticed this as well. I get hit a lot more often when trying to pull either off because the window of opportunity is so small. It's a breath of fresh air compared to Seven.

Aeana

The emphasis in this game is kinda weird. The fields are much larger, and there are more powerful enemies spread out everywhere. They've put the focus on exploring and filling out the map, collecting materials, strengthening equipment, etc. The story is actually surprisingly light so far compared to Ys 7, not that I have a problem with that.

As far as story goes, I'm starting to think my theory might be correct. Will have to see more.

hongcha

The graphics get better after the first hour or so. Once you get to the open fields, it becomes quite beautiful with the deep draw distance, shadows of clouds and other effects. Such a lovely game.

ranmafan

Finally had a chance to sit down with the game tonight. Really liking it so far. The music is great, and the gameplay is fun. Its nice to be able to sit back and just play an enjoyable game like this right now. Cant wait to dive more into it.

The story is actually surprisingly light so far compared to Ys 7, not that I have a problem with that.
Good.

Although the giant open levels and emphasis on exploring is a little odd, but still far less offensive than the story obsessed Ys Seven.

The areas in this are so huge. I just spent an hour simply uncovering map in all the directions I could go.
I'm loving the openness of this as compared to Origin or Oath in Felghana.
Music is outstanding too. Well done killing-stuff-and-exploring-in-a-JRPG type music. Falcom seems to excel at this especially.

ranmafan

I agree with the liking the openness. I always love playing an RPG where I can just explore the world and this game has that perfectly for me. having a great time exploring the areas. Just loving every bit of it so far!

Aeana

It was clear to me from the moment that I started the game that it most certainly is not a remake of Ys 4. For a while, I thought that maybe it was a pseudo-sequel to the previous Ys 4 games, and Falcom was playing off the fact that it never made a version of Ys 4 with the memory loss/recovery gimmick. But the further I get into the game, the more things I notice that just cannot be true if this takes place after either other Ys 4 game. It seems to me that what this is is simply Falcom making a new version of Ys 4, different from the others. We'll see how things develop as I play more.

To keep this OT going, I'll post some thoughts, a bit over 10 hours in now (did all quests).

-The world is so much more delicately crafted than the one in Ys 7. Areas vary greatly and are quite beautiful. Adventuring on the world map is not un-akin to games like Symphony of the Night, where focus is on map completion, and getting to new areas once you have new abilities will occasionally allow you to trigger a shortcut to get back to that area much quicker.

-The soundtrack is great. I particularly enjoy the track for the early dungeons, the track for the starting town, and the boss track.

-The way the game is setup at the beginning reminded me a bit of Sora no Kiseki SC. Maybe I'm crazy, but (mild spoilers for the first 10 hours)
having different areas to go to and investigating only to find an enemy at each who seems to be up to no good "experiments"
The quest system this time around is also a bit Kiseki-like, but I am grateful for the flag markers on the map that show where you need to go to accept/complete quests -- no time wasted wandering around wondering where the hell you need to go

-I'm enjoying the skill system more this time around. Instead of learning skills from weapons, you simply learn them by using the skills that you have, and they seem to flow well into one another. You probably won't spam one skill over and over. I felt the skills in Ys 7 were all over the place, and most of them went unused. I was also surprised to see Ozma had a skill that gave the whole party "defense up" rather than attacking -- I don't remember any skills like this in Ys 7, but I could be wrong. It adds more to the party member switching mechanic as well.

-I'm not one to fall for girls who aren't real, but Carna is pretty awesome.

Aeana

Some of the music in the game is really close to Ryo Yonemitsu's PCE CD stuff, but without my favorite parts. It's such a bummer every time the music comes up on a part that I love and then I realize it isn't there in this version. (._. )

Aeana

I kinda wonder if the decisions the game lets you make have any real long-term effects or not. There are some pretty douchey options that seem really out of character for Adol. I've chosen one or two just to see what would happen, and there are negative reactions from characters and things go right back on track after a couple of text boxes.

I kinda wonder if the decisions the game lets you make have any real long-term effects or not. There are some pretty douchey options that seem really out of character for Adol. I've chosen one or two just to see what would happen, and there are negative reactions from characters and things go right back on track after a couple of text boxes.

Yeah, I was wondering about this myself. It seems unlikely at this point. There are some really douchey options, but there are some pretty funny ones as well.

After previously mentioning how great and varied the skill system is, I just acquired Napalm Throw with Carna, and have proceeded to use nothing else, haha. It is such an awesome skill though. So fun to run around and blow up enemies in a huge fireball.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier, but one thing I have noticed is that there is definitely some slowdown here and there when there are a lot of enemies or varied environments (water etc) on the screen. It's not horrible but it is definitely present.

One more thing regarding trophies -- it seems like most of the battle-system mechanics related ones will be a walk in the park to get without going out of your way. I've already got both flash move and flash guard, aerial combo, excellent kill, etc trophies and I still feel like I've barely dented the game.

Aeana

I actually just now got the flash move trophy, and I feel like I've only used it like a couple of times total. I tend to rely on flash guarding, and forget flash move even exists.

I actually just now got the flash move trophy, and I feel like I've only used it like a couple of times total. I tend to rely on flash guarding, and forget flash move even exists.

Haha, I'm actually the opposite, in pretty much every game I play. I tend to forget that guarding even exists and just try to dodge everything, often to my own peril. There are definitely fights where you need to flash guard XD

Forgetting to flash block and going for the dodge instead has led to many a stupid moment for me. Haha.

I also love how in the first part of the game
you can choose the order in which you tackle dungeons. I met Carna before I did Ozma's stuff for example

If I understood right in your video, you did the opposite right, Kyle?

Aeana

Oh, I didn't realize you could do that, but considering they put both flags up on the map at the same time, that makes sense.

Forgetting to flash block and going for the dodge instead has led to many a stupid moment for me. Haha.

I also love how in the first part of the game
you can choose the order in which you tackle dungeons. I met Carna before I did Ozma's stuff for example

If I understood right in your video, you did the opposite right, Kyle?

Yup, I did it in the opposite order!

ranmafan

I spent pretty much all night last night playing and it was hard to put down. I'm really loving the openness still. The battles are quite fun. When I pull off a flash move and all, it's nice. The music is fantastic as usual for a falcom game. I also wonder how the dialogue choices will effect the game.

Can't find a single complaint yet. Just really love this game and can't wait to play more today. Easily one of my favorite games this year so far.

Had a delightful moment today.

"Oh hey, look it's a giant bear monster thing. LET'S GO KILL IT."

*Bear slams into Adol, pins him to the ground and gnaws on him till he dies.*

"Oh... ok."

manzo

Some of the music in the game is really close to Ryo Yonemitsu's PCE CD stuff, but without my favorite parts. It's such a bummer every time the music comes up on a part that I love and then I realize it isn't there in this version. (._. )

Noooo

2012-10-01-161720dal9u.jpg

Cool.

Around 15 hours in now, I think. I got one of the coolest items in an Ys game ever (IMO!) this morning.
speed shoes
So. Awesome.

This game is so good. Falcom did an incredible job.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Lurking this thread motivating me to get back to Origins at the end of the week

Aeana

It's a Vita-only promotion that Falcom started to get people interested in Ys Celceta. The save data is compatible with the full version, too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on when Xseed is going to release this in the west?

It's not really a when (yet?), they haven't announced anything. But given past comments it sounds like they want to localize it. I kind of expect it sometime around next spring if it happens at all.

Around 15 hours in now, I think. I got one of the coolest items in an Ys game ever (IMO!) this morning.
speed shoes
So. Awesome.

This game is so good. Falcom did an incredible job.

Just got those as well.

Running around like a high speed boss is so fuckin' cool

Just an update, going on twenty hours now. The game world is pretty huge. Still loving it -- the story is getting pretty crazy.

Top Bottom