• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

RyoonZ

Banned
Who's the illustrator of the artwork from the Limited Edition journal? I want to search for more of his/her work. It reminds me a lot of Suikoden.

kiriin

Saw a lonely Silver Anniversary Edition sitting in Gamestop. End up buying it... oh well the cds and artbook was worth it.

Saw a lonely Silver Anniversary Edition sitting in Gamestop. End up buying it... oh well the cds and artbook was worth it.

Artbook is particularly well done. Didn't care for the CDs though. Guess I wish they were just straight up rips from the games.

I started playing all Ys games in order, but had to skip over this one because I don't have a Vita yet.

Once I finished 6, 7, and Origin, guess I'll have to buy one :)

nampad

I befriended all the animals from this guide and the trophy didn't pop. Did I miss one? If yes, where is it?

They all gave me an item so I should be their friend?

edit: Got it. Somehow two pikkards had to be feeded even more? I am sure I already gave them a treat twice and they have given me an item in return.

jdkluv

The Ys HG101 article has Celceta now, and a lot of comparisons.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys13.htm

Boy do the bad guys look better in Celceta.They're silly stereotypes in Dawn of Ys/Mask of the Sun.

Old bad guys look like your typical early 90s anime villains. New bad guys looks like your typical modern villains. So cute.

Dat Tower of Providence music

<3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV7yv2F1n98

Artbook is particularly well done. Didn't care for the CDs though. Guess I wish they were just straight up rips from the games.

379ch.gif

They already did that for I & II Chronicles, Felghana and Seven LEs.

I started playing all Ys games in order, but had to skip over this one because I don't have a Vita yet.

Once I finished 6, 7, and Origin, guess I'll have to buy one :)

If you're going to play them all in order, then what about Ys I & II? And will you consider both Ys IV games?

Edgeward

Beat it finally, i bought it day 1 and had been chipping it at for months before i decided to power through this week and most of the weekend to finish it. Clocked at 30ish hours. Fun ride. The trophies are bad though, ugh. I am missing the gathering points and treasure chest. Already got the chest at the tower by falling through, so i am at a frustrated loss.

In any case, i really loved the exploration way the overworld is set up. Foria Daros was cheap so i used Karna to bullshit him back. And the final boss was disappointing, while the way up to him was super annoying. Ended up dashing past everything. Had been waiting for this game since it was announced for japan and i am not disappointed.

If you're going to play them all in order, then what about Ys I & II? And will you consider both Ys IV games?

I already beat them. Just last weekend I beat Origin, so I have beaten, 1, 2 ,3, 5 ,6 ,7 and Origin.

I'm only playing the newest/best versions of them, so I will only play MoC.

I haven't played this because I had so much stuff on my plate lately. I think I'll have time to play a little this week.

To those who played this and Ys 7, which one do you think is better?

kiriin

I haven't played this because I had so much stuff on my plate lately. I think I'll have time to play a little this week.

Seven dealt with the whole difficulty curve a whole lot better. They should have just done the same thing with Celceta. But the exploration was pretty fun.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I'd probably go with Ys Seven, mostly because the frame rate wasn't so horrendous in that game. I also thought the music was, for the most part, a bit better in that one.

Ventara

Although Celceta does some things better, and is still a fantastic game, I have fonder memories of Seven. It's hard to say whether that's because Seven was my first Ys game or not, but Seven definitely has better music, imo, and I like the characters better, too.

isual

this is the only game cartridge i have for my vita.

everything is is from ps plus.

if there are any games on vita or ps3, I usually go for ps3.

kubricks

I have almost completed Ys:MoC (at last dungeon), I think I prefer Ys7 overall.
I found the music in 7 much better than MoC, I can still remember some tunes from 7 but I can recall non in MoC even right after playing it. The battle in 7 just felt more satisfying although I cannot pin point the reason.

I do however enjoy the exploration aspect of MoC, but I do think difficulty spike too often. the unique/larger type monster cause most unexpected death which is somewhat a pain in the ass on the first few hours. I understand it adds to the dangerous feel of the forest but it's a bit too much, I guess they can add more hit points and lower the attack power to compansate.

Story progression is improved in MoC though, I still remember running around in town for 30mins before I draw my sword out for the first time, lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Story progression is improved in MoC though, I still remember running around in town for 30mins before I draw my sword out for the first time, lol.

That's true. Ys Seven was my first Ys game, and after running a round in town for 30 minutes, I was like "this sucks," and was about to turn it off. Fortunately, a couple minutes later, the game finally lets you leave, and from that point on, it's just non-stop radical shit. But that initial slog was definitely off-putting.

That's true. Ys Seven was my first Ys game, and after running a round in town for 30 minutes, I was like "this sucks," and was about to turn it off. Fortunately, a couple minutes later, the game finally lets you leave, and from that point on, it's just non-stop radical shit. But that initial slog was definitely off-putting.

Yeah, I agree. Until you can actually leave the town and fight stuff, that whole tutorial and initial story setup is horrible.

redcrayon

I'm closing in on the end of this with 89% map cleared, a full party, and with what looks like only a couple of areas left to explore.

I have to say that, from the perspective of someone who has never played a Ys game before, I've really enjoyed it. The music is great, and combat really fast and snappy- I've never avoided a fight out of tedium, only because of the larger wandering monsters, which makes a pleasant change.

If I had one complaint, it's that there are lots of skills that are all very, very similar (launch-ups, knock-backs, stuns, area effects), and it would have been nice for Adol and Duren to have one skill that was a buff or something, rather than all of their abilties being variations on hitting enemies.

Boss fights are fun, I've enjoyed the focus on flash-dodge and flash-guard, the arena battles remind me slightly of Star Ocean IV at that point, but with more melee and less ranged combat. I managed to defeat the most recent boss I fought with the special move, which was pretty awesome as I managed to trigger it against his weak spot and it stripped off half of his second form's health!

Still, I've found the general sense of exploration and saturday-morning-cartoon friendly vibes in each town to be really refreshing. Can't wait to check out the rest of the series.

Psxphile

I'm also just about done with Celceta, after getting the game Day 1 (plus a few more days because of Amazon Free Shipping). I'm currently just wrapping up any other miscellaneous things (trophies, mostly) before I finally venture past the final Warp monument in the game. Overall, I think I found this game more enjoyable than Seven... which I believe is in stark contrast to everyone else who've played both. I enjoyed mapping out the forest, especially.

I also got a kick out of the added lore that connects this game with Ys I&II, Felghana, Napishtim and Seven. Man, those Galbalans really get around, don't they? Anyway, this game felt so much more focused than Seven, which tried to be this big, sprawling epic with multiple arcs and lots of backtracking. Meanwhile, Celceta's one goal is to explore the forest and just keep going.

Shame I'll need a second playthrough in order to get the rest of the Ultimate weapons and the plat. At least there's New Game +. Right now I'm just concentrating on maxing everyone's skill levels and their playtimes (pretty much just mained Adol and eventually Frieda later... Slash types for life!). I also still need to beat that optional boss on the right hand side of the map. Might have to actually use the Reinforce system to its fullest just to survive its attacks.

cj_iwakura

Finished earlier. Loved how the final battle played out, but the ending... well, that's Ys for you.

Reached 96.5%. Couldn't figure out how to clear the stone blocks in far east Celceta.

Finished earlier. Loved how the final battle played out, but the ending... well, that's Ys for you.

Reached 96.5%. Couldn't figure out how to clear the stone blocks in far east Celceta.

Beast King Claws.

Btw, are all Ys endings like this? I was all kinda 'dafuq?' when it happened (Celceta is my first Ys).

Finished it last week and started my second Nightmare run to finish all the trophies :). Loved it.

Shame I'll need a second playthrough in order to get the rest of the Ultimate weapons and the plat. At least there's New Game +. Right now I'm just concentrating on maxing everyone's skill levels and their playtimes (pretty much just mained Adol and eventually Frieda later... Slash types for life!). I also still need to beat that optional boss on the right hand side of the map. Might have to actually use the Reinforce system to its fullest just to survive its attacks.

Skill progress carries over to NG+, as do accessories and other equipment (and money). Just letting you know since if you're planning to do another play through you can wait to max the skills.

Holykael1

Banned
I like Ys Seven more but Celceta has 3 advantages over it:

-Better characters
-Better exploration
-Very cool lore to the overall series.

Ys Seven has a better story, better combat(Maybe, it has to do with the buttons of the vita itself but it didnt feel as fast and furious in Celceta as it did in Seven) and a better OST, tho Celceta has a pretty badass OST aswell, some of my favs were:

Morning After the Storm
Harlequin's Temptation
Ancient Land
Underground Ruin
Ancient Legend

Unlike many I really digged the ending actually, it gave you enough information and ended on a pretty cool tone. Loved it.

Btw, are all Ys endings like this? I was all kinda 'dafuq?' when it happened (Celceta is my first Ys).

You don't play Ys for the story. It's usually quite cliche/bland. And the endings are always like "and then deus ex machina and Adol is taken to another place ok thx bye"

cj_iwakura

You don't play Ys for the story. It's usually quite cliche/bland. And the endings are always like "and then deus ex machina and Adol is taken to another place ok thx bye"

Oath in Felghana's is probably the best, at least in terms of characterization. I liked a lot of Celceta's too.

Also, this is Adol's best outfit IMO(no one seems to agree with me on that, needs more armor they cry).

Oath in Felghana's is probably the best, at least in terms of characterization. I liked a lot of Celceta's too.

Also, this is Adol's best outfit IMO(no one seems to agree with me on that, needs more armor they cry).

I'm not saying the stories are bad, per se, just that they stick a little too closely to the formula.

Adol is the only one who can talk to/see/using power from so-and-so? Check

Ancient Evil rising from a 1000 year sleep? Check

I enjoy the games for what they are. I mean, I've played pretty much all of them and loved them all. But, yeah, people expecting Spec Ops: The Line from an Ys game are going to be disappointed.

cj_iwakura

I'm not saying the stories are bad, per se, just that they stick a little too closely to the formula.

Adol is the only one who can talk to/see/using power from so-and-so? Check

Ancient Evil rising from a 1000 year sleep? Check

I enjoy the games for what they are. I mean, I've played pretty much all of them and loved them all. But, yeah, people expecting Spec Ops: The Line from an Ys game are going to be disappointed.

I know that kind of Ys game could be pretty great.

Also, coy girl who has an unrequited crush on Adol? Always check.

Holykael1

Banned

They might be cliché but they are extremely charming and well executed imo. I am genuinely taken aback by some of the twists. Celceta is not the best example, but Seven,Oath and Origin all have excellent stories. Good world building through consistent and well established lore and great characters.

But go ahead genius, name all the Deus Ex Machinas you are referring to, saying something without backing it up doesn't hold much value. It's not like miracles happen or things show up out of nowhere... Whatever magic artifacts/deities exist are deeply rooted to the setting and established beforehand, it's a fantasy world with a lot of mystical elements to it.
Writing everything off as "bland, deus ex machina" is so irritating and disingenuous. if you are going to shit all over the writers and over 25 years of lore atleast BACK IT UP..

Sorry to rubbish up this thread with my tales of woe, but I've got this game just sitting on my shelf with nothing to play it on. I brought a Vita last week from Shopto but something went south with the delivery and I don't have it yet but my Amazon order of this game came right on time. Being a bit of a Ys fan, super bummed out right now.

Sorry to rubbish up this thread with my tales of woe, but I've got this game just sitting on my shelf with nothing to play it on. I brought a Vita last week from Shopto but something went south with the delivery and I don't have it yet but my Amazon order of this game came right on time. Being a bit of a Ys fan, super bummed out right now.

I feel your pain (kind of). When i got my Vita I didn't get a memory card, and I had a ton of PS+ games and Soul Sacrifice that I couldn't play until one arrived. So basically I had the console but no games, which is technically the reverse of your situation but fairly similar in result.

kiriin

They might be cliché but they are extremely charming and well executed imo. I am genuinely taken aback by some of the twists. Celceta is not the best example, but Seven,Oath and Origin all have excellent stories. Good world building through consistent and well established lore and great characters.

But go ahead genius, name all the Deus Ex Machinas you are referring to, saying something without backing it up doesn't hold much value. It's not like miracles happen or things show up out of nowhere... Whatever magic artifacts/deities exist are deeply rooted to the setting and established beforehand, it's a fantasy world with a lot of mystical elements to it.
Writing everything off as "bland, deus ex machina" is so irritating and disingenuous. if you are going to shit all over the writers and over 25 years of lore atleast BACK IT UP..

Felt Origin focus a lot more on the whole narration out of most of the series. Also Yunica > Adol :p

Elios83

Just a quick question....I've found a good deal for this title. But since I'm a newcomer to this series I'd like to know if this game is enjoyable and has a good story even for those who don't know the universe and the characters.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just a quick question....I've found a good deal for this title. But since I'm a newcomer to this series I'd like to know if this game is enjoyable and has a good story even for those who don't know the universe and the characters.

Yes. The story's not really connected to the other titles, so you should have no problems.

redcrayon

Absolutely, it was my first Ys game too and I loved every minute.

Top Bottom