• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Memories of Celceta |OT|: The Ys-iest Purchase You'll Make All Year (Now For EUs)

v1perz53

Just a quick question....I've found a good deal for this title. But since I'm a newcomer to this series I'd like to know if this game is enjoyable and has a good story even for those who don't know the universe and the characters.

My first Ys game as well, and ended up being my second platinum trophy ever. Which is saying something because this is a TERRIBLE platinum to get (I'm looking at you 100% harvest point and chest completion with no indication of missing stuff). I really loved this game, one of the few I got at full price and actually finished before I saw it at a discount.

Tigress

This is my first Ys game and I'm loving it, story, gameplay, everything. It's got me so sucked in that my problem is I need to finish some other games I am working on and instead find myself pushing them off to play this one. And it's the kind of game that gets me so sucked in I have a hard time putting it down and next thing I know, time flies! I'm actually hoping that I'm still just at the beginning and I have a lot more to play (
just had the red headed girl join my party to go find her brother
).

Holykael1

Banned
This is my first Ys game and I'm loving it, story, gameplay, everything. It's got me so sucked in that my problem is I need to finish some other games I am working on and instead find myself pushing them off to play this one. And it's the kind of game that gets me so sucked in I have a hard time putting it down and next thing I know, time flies! I'm actually hoping that I'm still just at the beginning and I have a lot more to play (
just had the red headed girl join my party to go find her brother
).

You still got plenty of game ahead. Dont worry. It's about 30 hours long. Enjoy!

Elios83

Your impressions have made me really impatient to play it :D
Falcom knows its stuff about JRPGs, I've played Trails in the Sky made by them and it was an amazing experience, the story pacing, the suspence :D
And btw I can't wait for SC later this year....they said mid 2014....hopefully it won't be delayed.

Could i play this game without using the rear touchpad? Mine's stopped working the last few weeks. I read that the rear touchpad is needed for AI tactics or something like that, and occasionally in "puzzles". do i absolutely need to use it to progress in the game?

kiriin

Could i play this game without using the rear touchpad? Mine's stopped working the last few weeks. I read that the rear touchpad is needed for AI tactics or something like that, and occasionally in "puzzles". do i absolutely need to use it to progress in the game?

Yes the only thing that is keybind to the rear touchpad is the party ai behavior which you can manually set in the menu option anyways.

Negator

I don't know who's responsible for the Ys anthology CD that came with the limited edition (Wyrd!?), but damn, thanks a lot! I can listen to this thing forever.

These old tracks feel so 80's, I love it so much!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yup, I was just listening to it again today, it's wonderful.
So, whoever wants to get this game, make sure to get the Silver Edition if that's still available, it's really worth it.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Is there really no way to see what treasure chests you already found? I went back to the game, thinking I might do some of the trophies, but I'm missing one or two treasure chests and with no idea of where to look this seems way too annoying to do.

Psxphile

Is there really no way to see what treasure chests you already found? I went back to the game, thinking I might do some of the trophies, but I'm missing one or two treasure chests and with no idea of where to look this seems way too annoying to do.

In-game? Nope. Fortunately, others have provided maps and locations so you can narrow down your search: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643152-ys-memories-of-celceta/68055659

The chests everyone (including myself) seem to miss is
the one in Tower of Providence where you must fall through the breakaway floor to land on a lone platform with the chest
, and
a chest hiding just out of plain view when you first arrive in the Central area of Iris.

Not sure why I'm spoilering that. Better safe than sorry.

So I'm at Comodo and got Karna. Killed most monsters except for the huge monkey and alligator ones. Died trying to fill out my bestiary. Already missed a trophy from the information dealer. I got 4 skills and one that takes 40 sp. So are those it for each character or are there more skills later on?

Psxphile

So I'm at Comodo and got Karna. Killed most monsters except for the huge monkey and alligator ones. Died trying to fill out my bestiary. Already missed a trophy from the information dealer. I got 4 skills and one that takes 40 sp. So are those it for each character or are there more skills later on?

You'll get more as you continue fighting stronger monsters. If I remember right, it tops off at 10 for each party member except for Adol, who gets 12. Naturally, they'll have no chance to learn if they're not in the active party so swap around occasionally.

Jucksalbe

Banned
In-game? Nope. Fortunately, others have provided maps and locations so you can narrow down your search: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643152-ys-memories-of-celceta/68055659

The chests everyone (including myself) seem to miss is
the one in Tower of Providence where you must fall through the breakaway floor to land on a lone platform with the chest
, and
a chest hiding just out of plain view when you first arrive in the Central area of Iris.

Thanks, I already found those two chests, though. I still have to run through every dungeon again with those maps, just because they didn't want to show what I already found on the in-game map. Seems rather monotonous to do, maybe if I'm bored. I'm also missing 6-7 harvest points which seem even more annoying to find.

Levyne

Banned
I remember a chest in the Northeast area near the large monkey type enemies that was kind of hiding in plain sight. I believe it was in a shallow pool of water. Sorry I can't be more specific, been a few months.

Jucksalbe

Banned
This one

hJSn0Am.jpg
?
Already found it, sadly. But I managed to kill a golden enemy on the way, so at least I got a different trophy.

Jucksalbe

Banned
No problem. Thanks for your help.
I now used a map and went through all the dungeons again, but it seems I missed one on the overworld. I just know it's gonna be the last one I'll check.

seldead

I don't suppose anyone can help me get out the Comodo Village flashback. I feel like I've talked to everyone a dozen times over and nothing's progressed. First time playing and am digging it otherwise

Jucksalbe

Banned
I don't think there was anyone that was especially hidden, just make sure you enter every house and talk to everyone. I think the ones I missed the last time were in the room with the quest board.

krossj

Started this recently and really enjoying it, boss battles being the highlight so far. Playing on hard and it has been relatively easy going. Flash moving into a skill to finish an enemy has been rewarding and running around the map collecting resources has also been fun. Some of the music tracks are great also.

My first Ys game, I picked up some of the psp games so hopefully get round to them at some point, very much enjoying this. Hope we see another one on the vita in the future.

Levyne

Banned
I really disliked those segments where you have to initiate every scene in a city before continuing. It's like, let me continue, please. I've seen what I want ._.

krossj

Finished this earlier and had a great time with it overall. Took me around 22 hours and last I checked before the final stretch I had 99.5% of the map discovered. The ending was a bit blunt but it was more the boss battles and exploring that I found enjoyable. While the graphics weren't great, the towns and environments had a lot of interesting details which made them fun to explore and the enemy designs were interesting. I really liked the music too.

I want to get round to playing more in the series and also give more Falcom games a go after enjoying this as much as I did. I started Trails in the Sky a while a go so I might start that agin soon.

Tizoc

Man this game a slower and weaker start than Oath and Seven haha.
Non the less I know it's gonna deliver soon. Characters are good so far but I've only just beat the first boss.
Is there an option to mute just Adol's voice? Cuz I didn't see it in the options menu >_>;

Psxphile

Don't they show you all the chest locations you haven't found on the map?

If I remember correctly they do, but any chests inside caves and dungeons are lumped together in a list and there's no way to verify if you've gotten every one unless you compare your cave/dungeon map with one that has all areas filled in and available chests marked manually.

Augemitbutter, did you get the chest on the platform inside Eldeel's tower that you have to fall from a floor above to reach? What about the chest hidden just out of view in the final, FINAL area before the final boss, near the elevator/warp? Those two seem to get missed a lot.

Don't they show you all the chest locations you haven't found on the map?

the icon won't appear until you had the chest in sight once. sometimes you have to be very close or it won't register. terrible system.

If I remember correctly they do, but any chests inside caves and dungeons are lumped together in a list and there's no way to verify if you've gotten every one unless you compare your cave/dungeon map with one that has all areas filled in and available chests marked manually.

Augemitbutter, did you get the chest on the platform inside Eldeel's tower that you have to fall from a floor above to reach? What about the chest hidden just out of view in the final, FINAL area before the final boss, near the elevator/warp? Those two seem to get missed a lot.

pretty sure i got that one when i went in my first time. someone said there is a hard to reach chest, fall down the disappearing platform to reach it etc. or are there more chest hidden after a fall? that place is hard to navigate. i got the chest at center iris as well.

btw endgame
i'm at first gadis boss (after he transforms). are there more chests after him?

i already got 100% map completion. looks like i have to look for a chest outside? sigh.

got the last bitch/batch (colonia lab). it was one room accessible via dwarf bracelet i missed somehow. no wonder, every corridor looked the same in there. falcom can't do trophies. i was lucky enough to get the last % of map and resource point in 15 min, while the last chest room eluded me for 3 hours. i'm pretty thorough with these things, but you can't expect of people to be flawless.

Bladenic

Not that I planned on it, but I checked a trophy guide and I am already screwed out of getting a platinum since I didn't buy the info from that guy for 100 gold before leaving town. Lmao

Tailzo

I'm supposed to find a giant tree after
Ozma
leaves my party. But even though it's marked on the map, I can't go to it. What do I do?

Tizoc

I'm thinking of importing the american version. Is it any dlc or updates that I miss out on? I have an eu-account.

There are no DLC, so you'll be fine.

...I'm still waiting for the US and EU versions to get the update the JP/Asia ver. got that improved its performance

Facegravy

There are no DLC, so you'll be fine.

...I'm still waiting for the US and EU versions to get the update the JP/Asia ver. got that improved its performance

But you still get updates when playing another region game? I think i remember someone saying that.

I've just returned to this game after about six weeks since I last played, and for some reason character health doesn't seem to be regenerating any more when I'm idle/not in combat. Is it due to an item I've unequipped or something? Or maybe health doesn't regenerate with three people in the team? I've just met the redhead girl.

Labadal

I've just returned to this game after about six weeks since I last played, and for some reason character health doesn't seem to be regenerating any more when I'm idle/not in combat. Is it due to an item I've unequipped or something? Or maybe health doesn't regenerate with three people in the team? I've just met the redhead girl.
You do not regenerate health in caves and some other places. The spirit cape speeds up the process.

Top Bottom