• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hahahah, wtf.

I'm fighting The Azure Queen of Death right now, and I just jumped to a spot on the edge of the arena, which basically killed all of my controls. I couldn't jump. I couldn't attack. I couldn't even pause. :lol

That is pretty much the first time I've encountered a bug in an Ys game.

Volcynika

Fighting Gyalva seems so much more annoying with the PSP's resolution. Realllllly hard to tell which row is being hit..

Edgeward

Pop this in finally, was surprised there was voice acting considering Ys 7 was silent. I do not like Dogi's voice, but the awesomness that is Margo pretty much outweighs anything else I have about the VA.

Text is completely fine, not bad as feared from that earlier screenshot.

Need to change up the buttons later, too weird to have jump O and X attack after playing Ys 7 non-stop.

Volcynika

Ok, I think I have a general idea of how to handle Gyalva, but still,
sometimes you get stuck on one side and you can't do anything. I can take 2 hits for the most part (max 3 I think), but arggg. I'm not even completely sure if you can dodge every form of the attack if you're stuck on one side with zero (2 if you're lucky) tiles.

Oh GOD this voice-actING.
I WANT to DIE...so BADly.

-Dogi is such a dork. Why does Adol have to play the silent partner to this tool?
-Narrator commentary whenever Adol "says something" is just ew.

Just gonna mash some buttons until I get thrown in a dungeon.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So, I thought I'd try to work a list of changes to the PSP version.

• Hard and Nightmare are unlocked from the start. Easy and Normal were the only ones available from the start on the PC version. Very Easy was added later via a patch and subsequent difficulties were unlocked by beating the game in the prior difficultly.
  • Inferno is unlocked by beating the game once (at least in Normal mode and above, cannot confirm on Very Easy or Easy).
  • A "Museum" option at the main menu allows you to view three things: a written prologue novella, an image gallery and a movie gallery.
  • Voiced dialogue for important scenes.
  • Three soundtracks are available. The original Oath in Felghana soundtrack along with two versions of Ys III chip soundtracks, PC-88 and X68000. Can be changed on the fly.
  • Double Boost is added. A second boost meter fills once the first has filled completely. Using boost mode when both levels are full triggers a small area attack (with a cut-in animation) and your HP will rapidly fill for the duration of boost mode.
  • Upon beating the game you can save a "Clear Data" file. When starting off of this data you are allowed to start a new game with various options bought with points (earned for beating the game on each difficulty) such as keeping your equipment levels and increasing their level cap or starting the game with double jump and double boost.
I wouldn't mind some help adding anything I missed.

Double boost really breaks the game for fans of the original.. not to mention that that along with the
clear data shop
really destroys the pain of later difficulty levels, though technically the latter is completely optional.

Teknoman

Edgeward said:
Pop this in finally, was surprised there was voice acting considering Ys 7 was silent. I do not like Dogi's voice, but the awesomness that is Margo pretty much outweighs anything else I have about the VA.

Text is completely fine, not bad as feared from that earlier screenshot.

Need to change up the buttons later, too weird to have jump O and X attack after playing Ys 7 non-stop.

Is it the same guy who did the attack voice for Dogi in VII?

Edgeward

Doesn't sound like it, this Dogi sounds more Bro-y. Elena sounds so familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Also I don't know how to save in this game. ._.

Doesn't look like I can save anywhere which is a damn shame considering how portable friendly 7 was.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Edgeward said:
Doesn't sound like it, this Dogi sounds more Bro-y. Elena sounds so familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Also I don't know how to save in this game. ._.

Doesn't look like I can save anywhere which is a damn shame considering how portable friendly 7 was.

You have to save at the monolith things you find just before bosses or right outside dungeons. Also, I agree. Not being able to save anywhere has always been one thing I love about Ys. Not having it is a bit of a letdown.

(Elena is Collette from Tales of Symphonia isn't she?)

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Here's one more I completely forgot:

• The No-Fall option is available on Normal, though I cannot confirm on higher levels yet. Previously this was only for Very Easy/Easy.

thetrin

Salaadin said:
The save anywhere thing isnt much of an issue for me...espeically once you get the teleportation wing.

It's less a convenience thing for me, and more something that defines Ys for me.

Been playing it this weekend, my first Ys game! It's been a lot of fun so far and I am in the abandoned mine currently. This is pretty close to what I've always wanted out of an ARPG.

Salaadin

Princess Skittles said:
Here's one more I completely forgot:

• The No-Fall option is available on Normal, though I cannot confirm on higher levels yet. Previously this was only for Very Easy/Easy.

No Fall option? Does that make it hard to fall during the platforming parts?

Edgeward

thetrin said:
(Elena is Collette from Tales of Symphonia isn't she?)

It's been a while since I've played ToS so I can't say. Be weird if it was, considering I don't want to strangle Elena.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Salaadin said:
No Fall option? Does that make it hard to fall during the platforming parts?
If you have it set to "on," if you fall into a pit that would take you to another area, you'll be re-spawned on the original screen.

Salaadin

Princess Skittles said:
If you have it set to "on," if you fall into a pit that would take you to another area, you'll be re-spawned on the original screen.

Oh thats dumb but I guess helpful for those who dont like constantly retrying things.

One funny thing I noticed is that the "squawk!" sound for killing the owls in Illburn ruins is the same as the one in Ys 7 AND it's the same sound birds make in the Taito Arcade game "Growl".

LowParry

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh GOD this voice-actING.
I WANT to DIE...so BADly.

-Dogi is such a dork. Why does Adol have to play the silent partner to this tool?
-Narrator commentary whenever Adol "says something" is just ew.

Just gonna mash some buttons until I get thrown in a dungeon.

It's not so bad. You can turn off the narrator or voices all around for the old school play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Volcynika said:
Ok, I think I have a general idea of how to handle Gyalva, but still,
sometimes you get stuck on one side and you can't do anything. I can take 2 hits for the most part (max 3 I think), but arggg. I'm not even completely sure if you can dodge every form of the attack if you're stuck on one side with zero (2 if you're lucky) tiles.

Like I said I was stuck for like 3 hours, anyways have fun! :lol

Peff

Princess Skittles said:
[*]
Upon beating the game you can save a "Clear Data" file. When starting off of this data you are allowed to start a new game with various options bought with points (earned for beating the game on each difficulty) such as keeping your equipment levels and increasing their level cap or starting the game with double jump and double boost.

Interesting. From what I've read
the amount of points you get to spend depends on the difficulty and it doesn't matter if you use the "lower difficulty" option during boss fights. Equipment level goes up to 9 apparently
. Definitely a fun incentive for replays.

I assume the secret bosses are still in, aren't they?

I decided to wait for a price drop for this.

10-12 hours just seems a bit short for a action-RPG. When it gets down to $20, I'll definitely get it, but for now, I just don't think I have enough for it. :(

I still need to beat Ys 7 anyway! Almost there though, I'm about 15 hours in!

I started on normal because I value my sanity.
Still getting my ass kicked at least once by every boss.

I was almost tempted to start on easy even so I could focus on enjoying the story... :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The game is still pretty difficult in normal though. I pulled my hairs out when I fought
Gyalva, Gildias, and Chester 2. I was surprised that the final boss was easier compared to the other bosses that I've fought.

Ricker

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I started on normal because I value my sanity.
Still getting my ass kicked at least once by every boss.

I was almost tempted to start on easy even so I could focus on enjoying the story... :lol

I think i`ll start on easy considering I couldn`t beat Ys 7 on normal,and I read this one is even harder then 7...

Edgeward

Bosses are definitely harder here than Ys 7. Cleared the Quarry and had to restart the boss fight multiple times, even had to switch up my button config again because what was asked on me was really hard to do with my current set-up. :lol

And I only had to restart once in Ys 7 on normal.

Volcynika

Edgeward said:
Bosses are definitely harder here than Ys 7. Cleared the Quarry and had to restart the boss fight multiple times, even had to switch up my button config again because what was asked on me was really hard to do with my current set-up. :lol

And I only had to restart once in Ys 7 on normal.

Are you playing on normal for Oath?

dili

I'm finding this a lot harder to play after Ys Seven. Already I miss the dash and flash guard abilities. I feel like Adol moves too slow and he doesn't have good enough evasive abilities for certain boss fights.

I also wish I had started on Normal than hard. I regretably picked hard because Ys Seven was too easy on normal, and now I'm finding these boss battles a drag. They take forever and I die in just a few hits. :(

Volcynika

dili said:
I'm finding this a lot harder to play after Ys Seven. Already I miss the dash and flash guard abilities. I feel like Adol moves too slow and he doesn't have good enough evasive abilities for certain boss fights.

I also wish I had started on Normal than hard. I regretably picked hard because Ys Seven was too easy on normal, and now I'm finding these boss battles a drag. They take forever and I die in just a few hits. :(

Unless it's different on Hard (I'm on Nightmare), the game does offer you the ability to lower the difficulty level if you die (at least three times I think). You could just lower it then. Die three times on boss -> lower!

dili

Volcynika said:
Unless it's different on Hard (I'm on Nightmare), the game does offer you the ability to lower the difficulty level if you die (at least three times I think). You could just lower it then.
That's what I've been doing. :D
I feel like I have to keep lowering it several times before I stand a chance for every boss.

I can't even imagine what it must be like on Nightmare.

Volcynika

dili said:
That's what I've been doing. :D
I feel like I have to keep lowering it several times before I stand a chance for every boss.

I can't even imagine what it must be like on Nightmare.

I'll sum it up for you: it's a bitch. Challenging and rage-tastic.....but still! I enjoy myself sometimes on it.

leehom

Princess Skittles said:
[*]Three soundtracks are available. The original Oath in Felghana soundtrack along with two versions of Ys III chip soundtracks, PC-88 and X68000. Can be changed on the fly.
Which sound track is the best? Amazon free shipping takes a week =/ Still have 2-3 more days to wait before it arrives.

Edgeward

Volcynika said:
Are you playing on normal for Oath?

Yup, figured it would be about the same and give me the same powerful badassness feeling that 7 did. And it does wonderfully on normal enemies. Then bosses come and in and are like "Nuh uh, son." and proceed to smack me around. The first boss made me wish for evasive rolling. Plus I loved rolling around everywhere in 7 to get around.

The OST has been spectacular per usual, makes want to replay it 2 more times just so I can play it with each different version of it.

leehom said:
Which sound track is the best? Amazon free shipping takes a week =/ Still have 2-3 more days to wait before it arrives.
Depends on how much you like chip-tunes :) The modern music is awesome, but it's also really cool to hear how the old 8 and 16-bit versions weren't really much different.

Loving this game so far. I feel kind of pathetic I had to lower the difficulty to beat Gyalva though. After ten tries or so it was either that or stop playing altogether. Promised myself I would only do it that one time.

I am also digging the voice acting. The first time I played it I absolutely hated them and immediately muted it. But now I guess they have started to grow on me. Overall I think they did a good job.

Anyway, I am off to the old mine shaft. Having only played up to Gyalva on the PC version, from here on its all new for me. Also glad to hear the game can be beaten rather quickly. I miss short, but sweet games.

thetrin

leehom said:

Make the choice yourself. You can change them on the fly.

Teknoman

leehom said:

I say go with PSP soundtrack your first time through, PC-88 soundtrack on Nightmare, and X68000 on Inferno.

Ferga

oh my god nightmare really is a nightmare!!!

Grinding so much and looking for raval ore to beat bosses :lol

But man this game is so good

it's up to you. if you want to go a few years back start with OiF, or go straight for the newest game.

i'm more of a classic --> new gamer myself. there's quality no matter which game you choose.

Volcynika

Made somewhat a bit of progress on Gyalva! I actually used the dash serum and the max HP increasing item I found! Though I get him down to about 400 HP then I end up getting pinned to one side and helpless to defend myself. :/

thetrin

Kenak said:
So what's the verdict? Should a newbie start with Ys7 or Ys:TOF?

Well, if you want to play one that would be a great indicator of whether or not you'd like the series on the whole, pick Oath. It's the most like the rest in the series. Ys 7 takes a major departure with the materials gathering, loot and party system.

dili said:

He gets dash before the second boss, which makes him a LOT faster.

Anywho, I bitchsmacked Gyalva, and now I'm getting a couple items and accessories before I head to the Abandoned Mines.

Top Bottom