• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

I thought dash was a limited-use thing.
Son of a bitch I beat that boss without even having access to it, probably would have saved my life a few times.

Apparently I also have an unused item that raises my max HP. Well fuck you too Felghana.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Volcynika said:
Made somewhat a bit of progress on Gyalva! I actually used the dash serum and the max HP increasing item I found! Though I get him down to about 400 HP then I end up getting pinned to one side and helpless to defend myself. :/

:lol :lol :lol feel the pain!

BTW bosses on hard and nightmare both gain upgrades.

Lets take Gyalva for example.

On normal he flies low to the ground and you can basicly jump hit him all day.

On hard he flies higher up now and you can't really jump hit him anymore.

On nightmare when he shoots tiles they now flip over and turn into spikes, yup didn't do this on the other settings =D

Almost all the bosses get upgrades like this which is why I started on Nightmare I hate when stuff is held back :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I thought dash was a limited-use thing.
Son of a bitch I beat that boss without even having access to it, probably would have saved my life a few times.

Apparently I also have an unused item that raises my max HP. Well fuck you too Felghana.

Yeah, Kotol Elixirs are permanent. In general, things you pick up are permanent upon use, unless it says "Breaks after one use".

Put in a near-overnighter and now I'm about halfway or 2/3rds of the way through the Castle.

I slayed the Dragon pretty easily...okay it took me some retries anyway but c'mon:

Obviously the earth ring is used to knock him down. So he gets knocked down, then he flies up in to the air. I jump as he drops the ice, then I do a charge to negate whatever damage I might have taken for landing too early, then I charge again just as he lands. He gets knocked down again, I clean up. He gets stuck in this pattern until at least the last 200-300 hp, which unless I'm near-death as well makes for an easy win.

The earth ring essentially works as a more limited parry. It's great.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
PepsimanVsJoe said:
The earth ring essentially works as a more limited parry. It's great.
Yup!

So, the raval for upgrading the last two sets of equipment is going to take a few playthoughs to max without hardcore grinding that last hallway of werewolves.

I got a secret code for beating the game on my second run.

Teknoman

Just ran into a giant, flying, fire breathing, brick wall :lol

thetrin said:
Yeah, Kotol Elixirs are permanent. In general, things you pick up are permanent upon use, unless it says "Breaks after one use".

Man I should've known that...anything that sits on an ancient looking pedestal is probably a permanent upgrade...dash potion anyway.

EDIT: One brick wall down, many more to go.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm playing on normal because I'm not a masochist. It's a great difficulty for me.

Anyway, defeated the third boss. Off to Elderm!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm definitely nearing the end. I'm headed to
Genos Island
finally. About 10 hours in. It's been quite fun. I think I'm going to pick Y's 7 back up from the backlog. It's been a fun ride.

thetrin

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm definitely nearing the end. I'm headed to
Genos Island
finally. About 10 hours in. It's been quite fun. I think I'm going to pick Y's 7 back up from the backlog. It's been a fun ride.

One day. One day, you will stop putting an apostrophe in Ys.

Apath

I went with this one, and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm actually amazed at how great this game is.

Game play wise I love it. The attacking flows very well and I really like how my spells (aka my fire blasts) recharge constantly so it's always an option in battle and not just some side skill saved for difficult situations. Platforming is also surprisingly smooth. I basically just beat the Azure Queen of Death or whatever her name is. Was a genuinely fun boss fight that never felt cheap. I'm expecting even harder/more complicated/more fun bosses to come.

The VA is a little sub-par, but it's passable and certainly preferable to no voices at all. You can also set the font scroll speed to instant as well, so you can move through conversations as quickly as you want :D Music and sound effects are great.

Probably the most expensive game besides Halo Reach and Starcraft 2 that I've purchased this year with little regrets. Really makes me happy I bought my PSP.

thetrin

Kenak said:
I went with this one, and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm actually amazed at how great this game is.

Game play wise I love it. The attacking flows very well and I really like how my spells (aka my fire blasts) recharge constantly so it's always an option in battle and not just some side skill saved for difficult situations. Platforming is also surprisingly smooth. I basically just beat the Azure Queen of Death or whatever her name is. Was a genuinely fun boss fight that never felt cheap. I'm expecting even harder/more complicated/more fun bosses to come.

The VA is a little sub-par, but it's passable and certainly preferable to no voices at all. You can also set the font scroll speed to instant as well, so you can move through conversations as quickly as you want :D Music and sound effects are great.

Probably the most expensive game besides Halo Reach and Starcraft 2 that I've purchased this year with little regrets. Really makes me happy I bought my PSP.

In general, you can't go wrong with Ys. Ark of Naphistim for PSP has horrific load times, so I would avoid it for the most part, but if you like this, you'll enjoy Ys 7 as well (even though it's mechanically pretty different).

Apath

thetrin said:
In general, you can't go wrong with Ys. Ark of Naphistim for PSP has horrific load times, so I would avoid it for the most part, but if you like this, you'll enjoy Ys 7 as well (even though it's mechanically pretty different).
Assuming I continue to enjoy Ys: OIF, I'll most likely pick up Ys 7 after I finish this one. Hopefully it drops to $19.99 by then.

Ferga

So close to beating nightmare Gyalva!!! arghh it was on 50 hp and i was on 10

It did that spin thing to switch the panels so i started jumping to the edge to avoid it BUT THE DAMN FIRE TORCHES HIT ME!! I stumbled back and landed on some spikes. God fricken damnit!

thetrin

Kenak said:
Assuming I continue to enjoy Ys: OIF, I'll most likely pick up Ys 7 after I finish this one. Hopefully it drops to $19.99 by then.

The game is only 10 hours long, and is very very consistent in quality. You will no doubt love it to the end.

Apath

Doesn't appear to be available on PSN. That patch to rip UMDs on a 1000/2000/3000 and put it onto a Go needs to come out.

Volcynika

thetrin said:
One day. One day, you will stop putting an apostrophe in Ys.

:lol

I beat Gryalva! Latter half of the fight was with me having 2HP so it was a little stressful! I did make it to the next boss, but unfortunately I can't do much more other than get him down to 1900 HP before I get overwhelmed by all the lasers and stuff. D:

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Volcynika said:
:lol

I beat Gryalva! Latter half of the fight was with me having 2HP so it was a little stressful! I did make it to the next boss, but unfortunately I can't do much more other than get him down to 1900 HP before I get overwhelmed by all the lasers and stuff. D:

Ys the GG/BB of the rpg adventure genre :lol

Edgeward

Fuck the lava stage. Ugh, flying enemies in this game are the worst not only jumping to attack them but they have more health than they should takes more than a swipe or two to kill them.

I'm pretty stuck on the
ice dragon boss. Every time the fight switches to the dodging the rocks sticking from the side of the screen I die. It seems to be pretty random too as far as what side the rocks will appear on.
I'm really just not sure how to go about getting past that part, does anyone have advice?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Edgeward said:
Fuck the lava stage. Ugh, flying enemies in this game are the worst not only jumping to attack them but they have more health than they should takes more than a swipe or two to kill them.
Jump plus wind attack.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Edgeward said:

If you are talking about the babies, run around and get them all grouped up first then go ape shit on them :D after you get the wind attack they become well nothing but that's what I did until then

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Scythesurge said:
I'm pretty stuck on the
ice dragon boss. Every time the fight switches to the dodging the rocks sticking from the side of the screen I die. It seems to be pretty random too as far as what side the rocks will appear on.
I'm really just not sure how to go about getting past that part, does anyone have advice?
Dash attack as a defensive maneuver.

Edgeward

Princess Skittles said:
Jump plus wind attack.

Pretty sure I don't have that ability yet, but I'll remember to do when I do.

QisTopTier said:
If you are talking about the babies, run around and get them all grouped up first then go ape shit on them :D after you get the wind attack they become well nothing but that's what I did until then

Naw, I escaped those nightmares using the item that knocks everyone out, grabbing the raval ore and running the hell away.

Edgeward

Argh, flame dragon boss! *shakes fist*

At least I figured out how to finally dodge his charge attack. But his desperation mode, and getting his full length back except it's all fire destroyed me. ;_; I will get this in my break time.

Volcynika

QisTopTier said:
Ys the GG/BB of the rpg adventure genre :lol

D:

I need to figure out what's a good strategy for it, because while I do try to keep on top of things, trying to take them all out before LAZER SPAM is rough!

Man what is up with Amazon's shipping, they've got an estimated delivery date of November 15th for my Oath in Felghana Premium Edition. It was shipped yesterday from a facility that's like a 20 minute drive from my house.

Princess Skittles said:
You are invulnerable during a dash attack, also, it actually destroys the specific blocks you are referring to.
Oh ok, I thought dash just halved the damage you took. Thanks for the advice!

sammy

I'm on the fence if I should get 7 or this? Oath looks to be more of a tight quick experience, challenging, and lots of action. What are some of the main differences between the two? I'm wanting to get into more Ys while playing the VC version.

thetrin

Edgeward said:
Argh, flame dragon boss! *shakes fist*

At least I figured out how to finally dodge his charge attack. But his desperation mode, and getting his full length back except it's all fire destroyed me. ;_; I will get this in my break time.

What difficulty are you playing on? I was playing on Normal, and because of the armor I was using, the flame dragon couldn't do more than 1 HP worth of damage every time he hit me.

thetrin

sammy said:
I'm on the fence if I should get 7 or this? Oath looks to be more of a tight quick experience, challenging, and lots of action. What are some of the main differences between the two? I'm wanting to get into more Ys while playing the VC version.

Oath is a faster, quicker, more tightly paced experience, and simplifies many aspects (in a great way.).

Ys 7 has a 3 party system (which is quite fun), material gathering for armor and weapon synthesis, and a pretty large loot table. it's a great game, but it's less of an old school RPG (and in that way, I'm not nearly as much a fan of it as Oath).

To be honest, if you're playing Ys I and II on TG16 VC, then Oath will feel more like the Ys you know and love. They're both awesome games, and if Ys 7 is definitely worth picking up once you get through Oath.

Peff

sammy said:

The main differences are that Ys 7 has a party that follows you everywhere and attack with you and the platforming is replaced with a dodge roll move that makes you go faster, whereas in Oath in Felghana you can only play with Adol and the gameplay is slower overall, with more platforming. SEVEN is also longer and has more extra stuff, from different abilities for each character to sidequests and fetch quests and such, plus a bigger focus on the story, whereas OiF is quite a bit shorter, but offers more incentives to replay in my opinion. It's up to you to decide what you like best.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
sammy said:
Oath is an overall better game in almost every aspect imaginable.

Two big things to consider: Seven has a larger focus on story, if that actually matter to you and it's technically longer if that will affect your buying decision, though most of that is with padding and bloat. Seven looks better, ESPECIALLY comparing PSP versions.. that might be the only thing it has over Oath.

sammy

good call, thanks! Oath it is, as soon as it's on PSN. I'm mostly in it for the action, the game just looks fun to play. And the greater difficulties seem fun if it's a short quick portable game to play through a few times.

I'll have to check out 7 next or check out the remakes that are in the works

thetrin

7, to me, is an expansion on a lot of the Ys elements. I'm not into playing a game that expands on elements I don't know about already. In that way, I think Ys 7 should be played after the other Ys games.

(and to be honest, the best part of Ys 7 is being able to play as Dogi)

LiquidMetal14

thetrin said:
7, to me, is an expansion on a lot of the Ys elements. I'm not into playing a game that expands on elements I don't know about already. In that way, I think Ys 7 should be played after the other Ys games.

(and to be honest, the best part of Ys 7 is being able to play as Dogi)
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU spoilers!

I'm broken now between 7 and Ark for PSP. I have 7 sitting right next to me. I want to try Ark because the videos I've been watching on youtube. It looks a lot like Oath (I'm sure they use the same engine) and that is very attractive to me. But if 7 is like an expansion in the gameplay department then I could only imagine it being much better than Oath.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
LiquidMetal14 said:
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU spoilers!
Not spoilers.

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm broken now between 7 and Ark for PSP. I have 7 sitting right next to me. I want to try Ark because the videos I've been watching on youtube. It looks a lot like Oath (I'm sure they use the same engine) and that is very attractive to me. But if 7 is like an expansion in the gameplay department then I could only imagine it being much better than Oath.
Ark is very similar to Oath, but has slightly slower combat. The PSP version is rough concerning load times but serviceable. Some videos above show that these are mostly alleviated by playing on a Slim though I do not recall this in my personal experience (and cannot confirm as my UMD is on load).

Seven's expansions on the the gameplay don't make it better than Oath.

Edgeward

thetrin said:
What difficulty are you playing on? I was playing on Normal, and because of the armor I was using, the flame dragon couldn't do more than 1 HP worth of damage every time he hit me.

Normal as well, but what armor are you wearing? o_O I bought the chain mail, I think, or what was the lowest available armor for sale. I get hit 10-12 per hit. ;_;

LiquidMetal14

Princess Skittles said:
Not spoilers.

Ark is very similar to Oath, but has slightly slower combat. The PSP version is rough concerning load times but serviceable. Some videos above show that these are mostly alleviated by playing on a Slim though I do not recall this in my personal experience (and cannot confirm as my UMD is on load).

Seven's expansions on the the gameplay don't make it better than Oath.
I have a slim so that makes Ark an even better proposal. I think I will get back into 7 then try and find Ark on the cheap.

thetrin

Edgeward said:
Normal as well, but what armor are you wearing? o_O I bought the chain mail, I think, or what was the lowest available armor for sale. I get hit 10-12 per hit. ;_;

I bought the highest level armor I could afford. I'm still wearing it.

Edgeward

How did you grind for the money? Seems outside of pots that don't respawn it seems, money is few and little when dropped by enemies.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Edgeward said:
How did you grind for the money? Seems outside of pots that don't respawn it seems, money is few and little when dropped by enemies.
The money drops are extras, you get gold from each monster killed automatically.

Edgeward

Princess Skittles said:
The money drops are extras, you get gold from each monster killed automatically.

Whhaaaaa? :lol I've never noticed. Is it all relative how much powerful a monster is to Adol?

Top Bottom