• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

The 4th member is really fun to play as, my favourite so far. I can totally see myself replaying this game in two months or so, specially if they release a good pc port. Nightmare overworld is too easy at times, I wish I chose Inferno instead.

eXistor

This game is great, much better than the last 2 Ys games, which weren't bad at all, but I hated the story and characters. This isn't anything special in that regard, but it's at least entertaining. I played for about 8 hours yesterday and in the end didn't want to stop, so that right there is a giant endorsement; I rarely play games for that long in one go anymore.

I have no idea how the Vita version plays, but the PS4 version is silky smooth (for 99% of the time at least) and it just feels incredibly fun to dash around the environments killing all kinds of monsters.

It doesn't reinvent anything and imo isn't quite as good as some of the older titles, but this is by far the best of the modern style Ys games.

preta

This game is great, much better than the last 2 Ys games, which weren't bad at all, but I hated the story and characters. This isn't anything special in that regard, but it's at least entertaining. I played for about 8 hours yesterday and in the end didn't want to stop, so that right there is a giant endorsement; I rarely play games for that long in one go anymore.

I have no idea how the Vita version plays, but the PS4 version is silky smooth (for 99% of the time at least) and it just feels incredibly fun to dash around the environments killing all kinds of monsters.

It doesn't reinvent anything and imo isn't quite as good as some of the older titles, but this is by far the best of the modern style Ys games.

I think you'll find that the story picks up later on and goes far more interesting places than either of the previous two games.

I completed the
Eroded Cave
and then went back and discovered the
Weathervane Hills
. Kept going further in until I reached a point I wasn't able to pass, but I found some good loot while there. I do like the game doesn't totally railroad you like some others.

One nitpick I have, after looking at some screenshots of other Ys games, is the absence of character portraits. The art in this game is especially nice and I think the 3D models don't really convey that.

It's a pretty good game though. I mean, it has to be when most of my complaints are on cosmetic stuff!

EDIT: Oh yeah, what is everyone else setting the lock-on button to? I have it currently set to L1 due to my years of Zelda influence but I kinda feel that locking onto a target gets in the way when dealing with a large group of enemies. I was thinking maybe it'd be better to disable it or something and use L1 for something more essential.

eXistor

I think you'll find that the story picks up later on and goes far more interesting places than either of the previous two games.

I hope so, I don't hate the story or anything, but as of now it's just kinda there. I certainly don't play these games for the story. In fact I'd prefer it if they minimalize it as much as possible.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what is everyone else setting the lock-on button to? I have it currently set to L1 due to my years of Zelda influence but I kinda feel that locking onto a target gets in the way when dealing with a large group of enemies. I was thinking maybe it'd be better to disable it or something and use L1 for something more essential.

I hardly use it, only with boss-battles.

Saphirax

Any guides (or just a simple explanation really) out there on what's missable and how not to miss them?

Frequently check the notice board for quests. Some of them expire quickly so you should do them asap. You need 200 reputation points(150 in the vita version) to get the true ending.

http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/6051...-reputation-points-and-unlock-the-best-ending

Not sure how good this is, but it does contain maps:

http://www.neoseeker.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana/walkthrough

Played the demo and really liked it, but it was weird that throughout the whole demo, I could only take maybe 2 hits before I was near death. Is the whole game that way?

I also didn't feel like blocking right as I took a hit really did anything unlike Celceta. Especially during the boss.

What's the recommended difficulty for beginners in Ys? Can you change difficulty later down the road?
Depending on your skill level with action games, stick to Normal or Hard for a middle-road range. Nightmare might also do the trick, or Easy if you really just want to finish or get past certain sections. You can change difficulty up and down at the Drifting Village IIRC.

Reveirg

Do you need to start the game in Nightmare to get the Nightmare Surpasser trophy? Or just beat the final boss in that difficulty?

Just got third playable character. Battle is smooth. Exploration seems fun. Digging the base building (at least in theory). Writing is very flat so far. But enjoying it none-the-less!

Almost 4 and a half hours in and it's all clicking and feeling very enjoyable. Few too many cliched anime tropes at the beginning, but the sense of exploration, boss fights, music and side quests are making me love this.

Whether you're adding people to the village or exploring more of the island, it always feels like you're doing something worthwhile.

Got it today (USK version). Was surprised by the awesome reversable cover artwork, without any logos. Started the game, played the intro, and already hooked. Long live Falcom!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I might not get the game until Sunday now, this wait is making my already shitty week worse xD oh well its gonna be freaking awesome once it's here :)

Kalor

The dlc listings on the EU store are weird. Some of them have the wrong icon. Thought they were giving away the paid Laxia costume for free but it's just a costume for Adol based on the description.

Ivellios

I never played a YS game before, and i read about this game yesterday. Is this a good game to start on the series?

I was going to post about that. The performance has been disappointing. Hovers around 20-25fps in busy areas and around 25-30fps in less busy areas but it's rarely consistent.

Most of the bosses I've fought play out at what feels like 20-25fps too, having played the PS4 version soon after I'm definitely picking it up for a second playthrough as I can pull off Flash Moves and Flash Guards far more consistently, and it's just so nice having a stable framerate. Even stable 30fps would have been superb on Vita.

It's choppy on Vita, but just about playable. Falcom was definitely trying to do too much with the hardware (the dynamic resolution scaling doesn't really help the framerate much!) but I'm glad they made something so ambitious anyway.

Wagram

Ys VIII really shines in the boss department. It starts slow and quickly ramps up at and it's been consistent every fight with heavy mechanics.

I truly do encourage no item runs for max Ys fun though!

The game is so good. I'm very confident it will be my favorite modern Ys game (Seven, Celceta).
Gameplay feels incredible on PS4. Smooth as hell.

preta

Yes to both. Quests/castaways can be missed and technically the true ending is missable as well.

There are no missable castaways, and I think it's technically possible to get just enough reputation to get the true ending even if you skip quests. (Not that you should skip them, as it'll definitely make it way, way easier.)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
There's just one quest you really need to be aware of not to miss, because the opportunity comes and goes really quickly.

I won't spoil why or which is it exactly, but it's
the one that asks you for meuniere. The recipe's hidden in the swamp area.

george_us

About 16 hours in now and just got
Orichalum weapons.
Still loving it. I'm surprised how much I like the tower defense missions after hearing people complain about them in the import thread. They're mostly short and fun. I even like the story and characters. Shit ain't Xenogears or anything but it's keeping my attention and I want to know more about the mysteries of the island.

Skulldead

here we go, discovers that the game have ennemies level scaling like previous vita Ys.... this is a serious turn off.... why they decide to keep that stupid mechanic....

preta

here we go, discovers that the game have ennemies level scaling like previous vita Ys.... this is a serious turn off.... why they decide to keep that stupid mechanic....

No Ys games have this mechanic. I don't know what you could be thinking of.

Eusis

Yup, every game in the series is a good place to start outside of Origin kinda but even then that's fine too
Well, and II before I, but you have to go out of your way to get II but not I; even on mobile where you CAN buy them separately you'd be wasting 3 dollars just not getting them together ($4.99 individually, $6.99 together.)

Skulldead

No Ys games have this mechanic. I don't know what you could be thinking of.

Yes there is Str/Defence/HP scaling in Ys: Memories of Celceta base on your level. If you don't believe me go back for the first ennemies on the game see how much they hit you, this is way more then when you begin the game.

Edit : Ennemies that are higher level then you don't scale down, they just get stronger if you outlevel them.

Does the accesory that rises your fishing skill affect your chances of getting a better catch, or it simply make fishing easier?

AS far as I can tell, it makes fishing easier.

I believe it's absolutely required for the last fish on the list. If not the +1 version, then the +2 version.

Basically, it's worthless until near the end of the game, and by that time the +2 fishing skill accessory should come up.

Unless there's a trophy for having all accessories, I'm not sure.

Beat the game today, ~50 hours true ending, 100% map, all fish, all meals, all chests and harvesting points, level 70 or so.

I didn't have work or class so I was mainlining it pretty hard.

Ys VIII really shines in the boss department. It starts slow and quickly ramps up at and it's been consistent every fight with heavy mechanics.

I truly do encourage no item runs for max Ys fun though!

Yeah, Not-Darm in the Baha Tower really wrecked me for a while.

I have no clue how I'm going to approach it when I NG+ in Inferno.

Man, the Mini map on the bottom left was driving me crazy, because of the rotation.
Good thing you can lock it showing to north, in the options!

And the option to show loading screen tips is funny. It says loading will take longer if you display them, but the game loads so fast, you can't read them anyway, lol.

Blue-kun

Yes there is Str/Defence/HP scaling in Ys: Memories of Celceta base on your level. If you don't believe me go back for the first ennemies on the game see how much they hit you, this is way more then when you begin the game.

Edit : Ennemies that are higher level then you don't scale down, they just get stronger if you outlevel them.

Why would that be bad though? Just avoids making the areas really boring to walk through. And even then the lower enemies are still MUCH weaker than yourself after a while.

Man those plant enemies really do not mess around.

The ones that spray seeds? They were pretty close to one shotting me at first, but the timing is easier than it looks to dodge/block.

There are a lot of enemies in the game where their attack impacts differ from their windup and animation, and t hose took the longest to get used to.

QisTopTier is right when he says to dodge early on some of them, but some of them require you to dodge LATE or you'll eat the impact.

Loudninja

The ones that spray seeds? They were pretty close to one shotting me at first, but the timing is easier than it looks to dodge/block.

There are a lot of enemies in the game where their attack impacts differ from their windup and animation, and t hose took the longest to get used to.

QisTopTier is right when he says to dodge early on some of them, but some of them require you to dodge LATE or you'll eat the impact.
Yes those even on normal they do crazy damage.

They were tougher then the boss fights for me at this point in the game lol.

Yes those even on normal they do crazy damage.

They were tougher then the boss fights for me at this point in the game lol.

It's all right, you'll have all game to get used to the type of enemy.

"From the makers of Plant That Shoots Seeds At You and Giant Enemy Crab That Sprays Poison With No Wind Up comes Plant That Shoots Seeds At You, Makes Poison Clouds With Little Wind Up, Now Featuring Tentacles!"

Basically once Dana got Ice Age I never hit the ground until everything was dead.

Loudninja

It's all right, you'll have all game to get used to the type of enemy.

"From the makers of Plant That Shoots Seeds At You and Giant Enemy Crab That Sprays Poison With No Wind Up comes Plant That Shoots Seeds At You, Makes Poison Clouds With Little Wind Up, Now Featuring Tentacles!"

Basically once Dana got Ice Age I never hit the ground until everything was dead.
Oh god haha cant wait :p

Man, the Mini map on the bottom left was driving me crazy, because of the rotation.
Good thing you can lock it showing to north, in the options!

And the option to show loading screen tips is funny. It says loading will take longer if you display them, but the game loads so fast, you can't read them anyway, lol.

Yeah, I enabled them cause I felt "why not" but ended up disabling them because the loading was so fast even with them on. Falcom really are wizards when it comes to that stuff.

The way you can customize the controls is seriously one of the biggest pluses I have for this game. I love it.

Top Bottom