• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

Dat feel when you get the hero cloak and see what it does to your stats O.O

Right? There are also cloaks for distance traveled and your reputation with people at the village. The reputation one is probably best if you're going to use them, but I used a 1/2 SP use/+25(or was it 45?) STR and swapped out the second as needed.

One accessory that comes in major handy is fro ma sidequest near the end of the game that massively increases your damage against ancient species. Makes the midgame onward Interceptions a breeze to S rank, but you'll still need to get good for the endgame interceptions.

That's basically all I have left, actually....

What is up with this game!
My adol is learning skills like he's gonna die for the rest of the game.
Im in the dungeon after you get the 4th party member and adol already has 8 skills while the others have 4. Some of these look like endgame stuff that costs 40sp.
I haven't done any grinding.

Edit: the environments in this game are seriously impressive for a game thats essentially a vita title made on a budget

AS far as I can tell, it makes fishing easier.

I believe it's absolutely required for the last fish on the list. If not the +1 version, then the +2 version.

Basically, it's worthless until near the end of the game, and by that time the +2 fishing skill accessory should come up.

I see, thanks. I was getting a little bit tired of constantly equipping the accesory each time I saw a fishbank.

I can't run like a normal person in this game. It's so satisfying to combine jumps and rolls, especially because of the speed boost it gives you. I'm flying all across the map at ridiculous speeds. Dodge-jump, dodge-jump, dodge-jump, etc. I'm a kangaroo.

Mr.Jeff

AS far as I can tell, it makes fishing easier.

I believe it's absolutely required for the last fish on the list. If not the +1 version, then the +2 version.

Basically, it's worthless until near the end of the game, and by that time the +2 fishing skill accessory should come up.

Unless there's a trophy for having all accessories, I'm not sure.

Right? There are also cloaks for distance traveled and your reputation with people at the village. The reputation one is probably best if you're going to use them, but I used a 1/2 SP use/+25(or was it 45?) STR and swapped out the second as needed.

One accessory that comes in major handy is fro ma sidequest near the end of the game that massively increases your damage against ancient species. Makes the midgame onward Interceptions a breeze to S rank, but you'll still need to get good for the endgame interceptions.
I wish I knew about these accessories, it would have saved me a lot of hassle....

The fishing, I ended up never using an accessory for all the fish and I somehow managed, although I swapped Adol to another character a couple of times since that seems to make a difference.

The damage against against species one I REALLY wish I knew about. As you say the last Interception and the last Enemy Base attack ones were a nightmare. Most of the time I've been using 1/2 SP + Double Flash Move time or having to use the weapon type modifiers since it's just been Adol on his own.

If there's not much changed from the JP trophy list, there is one of for having all the accessories.

And the option to show loading screen tips is funny. It says loading will take longer if you display them, but the game loads so fast, you can't read them anyway, lol.
If you do want to read them, they're saved in the Adol's Diary. Last tab shows you all your various stats and below that are all the loading screen messages.

I did the game on vita back then but i didn't checked the trophies! Is there one tied to difficulty?

Also i just got my collector edition.... wasn't there supposed to be DLC included?

Got fourth member and played until way too late. Game is addicting. World is so well put together, too. So far I really like the mix of exploration, base building, and story. And some of these map themes are super catchy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Are outfits worth tailoring or no? Do they even look cool?

Netto-kun

I did the game on vita back then but i didn't checked the trophies! Is there one tied to difficulty?
Only one which is beat the game on Nightmare difficulty or higher.

Are outfits worth tailoring or no? Do they even look cool?
AFAIK (most of?) the outfits in-game are just different color variations of the regular outfit. If you are aiming for the 100% item collection rate trophy I think you need to make those anyway.

It's weird how the framerate completely plummets when opponents enter Break-status on OG PS4, when the rest of the game is so smooth. Is it the same on PS4 Pro?

to get the true ending, is it safe to do all the quests and go to the ? mark points on the map?
I dont really want to use a guide, if it's not necessary

Mr.Jeff

to get the true ending, is it safe to do all the quests and go to the ? mark points on the map?
I dont really want to use a guide, if it's not necessary
The true ending is tied to reputation from villagers so mainly doing their side quests.

The question marks generally either lead to new villagers or to little one off areas with treasure.

I started playing it a few hours ago and just beat my first "real" dungeon, this game is really engrossing.
I love all the side stuff they added, including the request system, but Trailsitis makes me worry I'll miss something so I go back to the village pretty often to check I'm not missing anything.

nucLdis

Neo Member
The general consensus from what I've read is that GAF loves this series. Can someone convince me that it's worth $60? I loved origins, memories of celceta, and I'm easily persuaded FWIW.

preta

The general consensus from what I've read is that GAF loves this series. Can someone convince me that it's worth $60? I loved origins, memories of celceta, and I'm easily persuaded FWIW.

If you liked Memories of Celceta, you'll absolutely adore this game. It takes all of the best ideas from Seven and Celceta and cranks them up to 11, along with plenty of new ideas. I'd easily call it one of Falcom's best and most ambitious games ever.

NIN90

This is like a 10x better version of Celceta. You won't be disappointed.

GAG generally loves the older Ys titles, like Oath in Felghana, Ark of Napishtim, and Origins. Ys VIII is from the trio of games referred to as 'party-based', which are Ys VII, Memories of Celceta, and Ys VIII. That said, Ys VIII is considered the best of the party based Ys titles. I personally love the party based Ys games and the older ones, and you can't go wrong starting with this one.

Edit: Oh you play MoC and Origins already, then yeah definitely get this.

Man Now I want a Shining Force game on the PS4 :/
Getting the full Shining Force III, in English, more spotlight and players would do a lot to help rekindle interest in the old Force games. Some of Falcom's J-PC competitors, like Gloria or Telenet, themselves made really charismatic strategy games you could compare to Shining Force.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

It's more than worth the 100 I spent. If you love those two this will be like heaven :p

Oreiller

It's a much much better version of Celceta. It's not even on the same level, VIII blows both Seven and Celceta out of the water.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Alright! Got to the true ending on hard.

Endgame spoiler:
I love it so much that the game doesn't have a villain.

Now onto Trophy cleanup and the Nightmare playthrough.

I got a review copy and ended up buying another just to show my support. Lovely game.

Thud

Put in about two hours on Nightmare. Died like a bitch during the first real boss.
that big raptor

Getting the full Shining Force III, in English, more spotlight and players would do a lot to help rekindle interest in the old Force games. Some of Falcom's J-PC competitors, like Gloria or Telenet, themselves made really charismatic strategy games you could compare to Shining Force.

This would be incredible. Especially if it was a remake.

Also, I would love to see those games from competitors in NA.

Granjinha

Got the True Ending on Hard yesterday. It's one of my favorite games this year. Just amazing. Loved every second of it! (Well, except the seconds that involved supressions and interceptions, fuck that)

I got a review copy and ended up buying another just to show my support. Lovely game.

Yeah, i'm gonna do the same.

I just finished the 2nd chapter. These last two hours have been intense.
Some Danganronpa bits there
. Is hard for Ys games to have interesting and enjoyable story moments that last this long, but I feel Falcom got it right this time. And it seems things are going to get better later on, so I can't wait to see where this story goes.

However, I'm not
completely sold on people dying left and right, those empty approval starts are suspicious

Man, the game has one of the smallest dead zone I have ever seen. You could almost blow at the left analog stick, and it reacts. The strange thing is, it's only when you are talking to people and are able to choose between stuff.

phant0m

Best advice is go play the demo. It's like 30 minutes long and convinced me immediately.

Top Bottom