• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana |OT| Two Systems, Two Heroes, One BIG HOLE

I have never played a game in the series but I love the red and silver bonus costume you get free. I don't think I can switch off to another look. It's just got that classic anime feel.

OVDRobo

I have never played a game in the series but I love the red and silver bonus costume you get free. I don't think I can switch off to another look. It's just got that classic anime feel.

Welcome to what Ys used to be before Falcom started targeting modern anime fans. It's still a great series but I wish it had stayed slightly more true to its roots and left that style to the Legend of Heroes series.

That being said, I'll admit to liking Adol's design in Ys Seven the most out of all the titles. Merges the original simplicity with a bit of modern flair, without going overboard like the design in Celceta and this have.

Strings

WIsh they offered the Ys Seven costume:

YS-Seven-Ancient-Ys-vanished-Adol-Action-Figure-18cm.jpg_640x640.jpg

It's my favourite Adol look. As is, the alternates are super meh to me (but his main getup is still pretty nice here).

That being said, I'll admit to liking Adol's design in Ys Seven the most out of all the titles. Merges the original simplicity with a bit of modern flair, without going overboard like the design in Celceta and this have.

Did anyone re-arrange the controls? I'm starting to think maybe I should. A lot of times I end up doing things I don't mean to.

Don't have the full game but I definitely changed the buttons for the demo. Moved around jump, Dodge, attack, switch, and lock on. The default controls feel really counterintuitive.

preta

Was I the only person who had absolutely zero problem with the default controls? I'm not sure what any of you find "counterintuitive" about them.

Strings

Did anyone re-arrange the controls? I'm starting to think maybe I should. A lot of times I end up doing things I don't mean to.

My current setup is:

X: Jump
O: Switch character
□: Attack
△: Use item
R2: Target lock
RI: Dodge
L2: Adventure gear
L1: Block

Feels pretty natural.

AniHawk

I did the game on vita back then but i didn't checked the trophies! Is there one tied to difficulty?

Also i just got my collector edition.... wasn't there supposed to be DLC included?

no. the dlc is on psn and it's the adol armor, adventurer clothes, and the starter kit or something.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Taking a break finally for dinner. S ranking the defense mode is some bullshit lol
Was I the only person who had absolutely zero problem with the default controls? I'm not sure what any of you find "counterintuitive" about them.
Only thing I changed was lock on from triangle to R2, then added in the backwards character swap. Dont need a healing item button lol

phant0m

Yup. X (cross) must be jump. Square is attack, circle is dodge/roll. I also switched the skills button to R2, felt more natural to me.

WIsh they offered the Ys Seven costume:

It's my favourite Adol look. As is, the alternates are super meh to me (but his main getup is still pretty nice here).
Seven Adol looks more and more like a Xanadu Next-inspired variation on his Silver Armor look, with light but smart shielding, loose covering under the breastplate (like Agnes from Xananext), and more unique color matching than usual. Celceta's design wasn't even consistent with his in-game model (which looks better, but still more modern than it should be), and he looks fine in VIII despite the gaudiness.

Its somehow harder than the bosses. THe worst part is you cant just end it you have to hit start and go to load lol

At that point you might as well soak up the free materials. If you're doing it just for the S Rank it's probably much easier to wait until endgame when you can just oneshot most everything.

Spend the time S ranking the endgame ones because you'll have to anyway. The rewards really aren't all that worth it for the difficulty at lower levels/equipment.

Eusis

At minimum, you should put skill and guard on different buttons. Then you can flash guard while using skills.
Huh, hadn't even considered that. Maybe L3?

I actually mostly stuck with the default but bound lock on to a secondary button of R3. Just matches what a lot of games (well, namely Souls-type games) do, so it goes with muscle memory.

Aeana

Huh, hadn't even considered that. Maybe L3?

I actually mostly stuck with the default but bound lock on to a secondary button of R3. Just matches what a lot of games (well, namely Souls-type games) do, so it goes with muscle memory.
I have skill on R2 and guard on R1. I moved the item menus to touchpad swipes because I rarely need them.

Loudninja

Those giant red crabs are driving me crazy grrrr.

Btw the one thing I dont like about the game is the monster names they are so silly lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Question before Chapter 3, no spoilers just in case:

Is Night Search/Night Mystery missable? It didn't seem to appear yet I'm almost done with this chapter...

Mr.Jeff

Question before Chapter 3, no spoilers just in case:

Is Night Search/Night Mystery missable? It didn't seem to appear yet I'm almost done with this chapter...
It's not mandatory but they'll tell you about it.

On a separate note: No items True End is a level of bullshit not seen since Dark Fact.

If I'm dissapointed with something so far, is without doubt the translation made by NISA. I don't want to start a discussion about possible what if scenarios were other company would have made a better job, but as it is, the translation itself is mediocre; it could be much better for NISA standards, like for example those of the Danganronpa series (I hope DV3 next week doesn't have problems like Ys VIII).

I've read that the french translation is in a worse state, so I don't know if there's a posibility that NISA tackles this problem, but I hope they try at least. If not, well, there's always that fanmade patch in process for the pc port.

Saphirax

If I'm dissapointed with something so far, is without doubt the translation made by NISA. I don't want to start a discussion about possible what if scenarios were other company would have made a better job, but as it is, the translation itself is mediocre; it could be much better for NISA standards, like for example those of the Danganronpa series (I hope DV3 next week doesn't have problems like Ys VIII).

I've read that the french translation is in a worse state, so I don't know if there's a posibility that NISA tackles this problem, but I hope they try at least. If not, well, there's always that fanmade patch in process for the pc port.

I hate to tell you this but...NDR3 is much worse translation wise.

eXistor

Dumb question time: I just found out through this thread you could get a free DLC costume for Adol (one that actually looks good instead of this overdesigned thrash he's wearing now), so I just went and downloaded them, but I don't know where to get them in game? They're not in my inventory, do I need to pick them up somewhere?

Dumb question time: I just found out through this thread you could get a free DLC costume for Adol (one that actually looks good instead of this overdesigned thrash he's wearing now), so I just went and downloaded them, but I don't know where to get them in game? They're not in my inventory, do I need to pick them up somewhere?

IIRC you have to open your full menu/pause menu, go to items, then tab over to a DLC items page where you can redeem them into your save file. They should look like wrapped gift boxes.

It may be available in just the basic item menu too (by pressing R2), but I seem to recall accessing it via my full menu.

eXistor

IIRC you have to open your full menu/pause menu, go to items, then tab over to a DLC items page where you can redeem them into your save file. They should look like wrapped gift boxes.

It may be available in just the basic item menu too (by pressing R2), but I seem to recall accessing it via my full menu.

There they are, thanks very much!

I hardly ever go to those menus and forgot about the DLC tab.

apd_ng

how? Can you give an exemple without spoiling? Will we still be able to enjoy the game? I'm waiting it so much!

I can't recall from the top of my head, my source was a blogpost(?) where the writer was comparing the source material to the english demo, I tried to find the source a few days ago but couldn't maybe someone here has a better idea

Saphirax

what's NDR3 and what's bad about the translation?

Sorry, it's Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony and the localization is bad.

Typos, mistranslations, bad grammar, loss of character voice and changing character's personalities are some of NISA's staples and they all show up in NDRV3.

I'll leave it at that since it's a Ys thread :p.

If you're interested in knowing a little more: https://curiouscat.me/BlackDragonHunt (You'll have to scroll down and find the appropriate posts. Shouldn't be further than late June though).

Salaadin

Is there anything funnier than Adol after he catches a fish? Mother fucker stands there so damn proud of himself as he holds up a tiny minnow. It's hilarious.

Is it known why NISA got Ys 8 instead of Xseed?
I thought Falcom and Xseed are working closely together and have good relationships? Do we know what happened?

sandpiper

Is it known why NISA got Ys 8 instead of Xseed?
I thought Falcom and Xseed are working closely together and have good relationships? Do we know what happened?
NISA outbid XSEED, Hatsuu posted on Twitter that they didn't just give it up.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/832797511479734273

Falcom wants their games out quicker presumably.

As for working together, not close enough that XSEED gets pre-release access. Falcom's never let XSEED start translating a game before it's out in Japan iirc.

Sorry, it's Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony and the localization is bad.

Typos, mistranslations, bad grammar, loss of character voice and changing character's personalities are some of NISA's staples and they all show up in NDRV3.

I'll leave it at that since it's a Ys thread :p.

If you're interested in knowing a little more: https://curiouscat.me/BlackDragonHunt (You'll have to scroll down and find the appropriate posts. Shouldn't be further than late June though).

man, i don't mind typos and grammar errors, but changing a character personality is dumb as hell, how do they justify it in the game? Especially since there's still japanese voice available... if you hear japanese a lot, you can tell when they're not matching

Think the game shafted me from a ton of experience :(-chapter 2 spoilers
I thought the t rex monster u are meant to run away from, lured it to the cure point and went to town in it. After ages I got its hp down to zero, it fell over and died. I start expecting to see the level up message for the team,
however no the monster arises and with full hp :(. This happen to anyone else?

NISA outbid XSEED, Hatsuu posted on Twitter that they didn't just give it up.

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/832797511479734273

Falcom wants their games out quicker presumably.

As for working together, not close enough that XSEED gets pre-release access. Falcom's never let XSEED start translating a game before it's out in Japan iirc.

Ah, thanks.
I don't mind getting the games quicker, but it's not good if the quality has to suffer because of that.
Xseed usually does a good job with translations, don't they?

Top Bottom