• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT2| You just activated my trap card!

Fj0823

Im sorry.

But making every past deck literally unplayable unless you buy the new cards is not the way to go.

New mechanics? Ok great

Pendulum nerf? Fine by me

changing the rules to effectively make all your favorite cards NEED the new stuff to remotely work? Fucking Bullshit

Im sorry.

But making every past deck literally unplayable unless you buy the new cards is not the way to go.

New mechanics? Ok great

Pendulum nerf? Fine by me

changing the rules to effectively make all your favorite cards NEED the new stuff to remotely work? Fucking Bullshit

It sounds really dumb.

Sandfox

How is this good at all? Now either you play links or you don't play.

Synchro, Xyz and Pendulum never fucked with the other mechanics.

This is just going to make it impossible to play anything other than links and newer cards

People said the exact same thing when Pendulums were announced and it wasn't true.

Plenty of older decks will still be playable, but they will have to adapt. If anything the game slowing down will probably be a boost to some decks.

Fj0823

People said the exact same thing when Pendulums were announced and then we had that super long run of Burning Abyss and Shaddolls.

Plenty of older decks will still be playable, but they will have to adapt.

I think while people are saying the same, it's different this time

If anything Xyz and Pendulum added lots of options for older decks

The difference is that Synchro Xyz and Pendulums did not say "hey BTW Fusions and rituals cannot be used anymore unless you Synchro first lol"

Pendulums era pretty much glorified variety and using all types of summons

Saying that "now I can only use Pendulums because they're too good" is not the same as "Now I can only use Links because all my old cards won't work like they did before if I don't"

This should not be encouraged.

Big One

Banned
I think while people are saying the same, it's different this time

If anything Xyz and Pendulum added lots of options for older decks

The difference is that Synchro Xyz and Pendulums did not say "hey BTW Fusions and rituals cannot be used anymore unless you Synchro first lol"

Pendulums era pretty much glorified variety and using all types of summons

Saying that "now I can only use Pendulums because they're too good" is not the same as "Now I can only use Links because all my old cards won't work like they did before if I don't"

This should not be encouraged.
While I agree it's a marketing ploy, let's be real here...Synchro and Xyz spam is fucking stupid as shit. I'm ok with limiting it to one zone. The decks that get hurt by it rightfully get hurt by it imo. Also considering Links are finnicky to summon in my own playtesting of the mechanic, they don't help out THAT much (yet...).

Fj0823

While I agree it's a marketing ploy, let's be real here...Synchro and Xyz spam is fucking stupid as shit. I'm ok with limiting it to one zone. The decks that get hurt by it rightfully get hurt by it imo. Also considering Links are finnicky to summon in my own playtesting of the mechanic, they don't help out THAT much (yet...).

That's what the ban list was for.

Give it 3 booster packs and we'll be back to square 1

The problem is the cards designed to spam. Not the mechanics themselves

The consensus seems to be that the new rules and summon type were designed to help slow down the game and stop people from getting ridiculous set ups turn 1

Fj0823

Don't get me wrong, my Galaxies benefit greatly from this.

But I do not agree with the idea of taking entire playstyles away to push the new cards

Sandfox

That's what the ban list was for.

Give it 3 booster packs and we'll be back to square 1

The problem is the cards designed to spam. Not the mechanics themselves

I would definitely argue that Xyz and Pendulum were poorly designed mechanics.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If it were up to me the extra card zone would be the only place to summon extra deck monsters full stop. At least link monsters give you a chance to do all your old stupid garbage.

Sandfox

So what older decks aren't affected? Those with no extra decks and tribute based decks?
It really depends on how reliant the deck is on having multiple extra deck monsters out to make plays in the early game. Decks like Infernoids for example use their extra deck, but will be well off after this. You also have to remember that the game should be slowing down with this so that could play into it as well because the amount of extra deck monsters you can bring out will increase as the game goes on.

It really depends on how reliant the deck is on having multiple extra deck monsters out to make plays in the early game. Decks like Infernoids for example use their extra deck, but will be well off after this. You also have to remember that the game should be slowing down with this so that could play into it as well because the amount of extra deck monsters you can bring out will increase as the game goes on.

Yeah I'm aware. I personally don't get affected since I'm a Domain Monarch and (Fire King) Kozmo player. I agree the game needs to be slow and I've been complaining you could easily bring a board that's almost unbeatable in one turn.
I'll see how the new rules turn out, and I'm still very much confused how these new rules apply even after reading it a few times.

Edit: can someone explain how this is gonna make the games slower now? I'm still confused. Can decks still use extra deck first turn for full potential?

Wiseblade

So this is essentially a heavy nerf to any deck that has multiple extra deck monsters at once? Am I right in understanding it also limits players to a maximum of 3 extra deck monsters, with one of them being a Link Monster? And you have to summon the Link monster first? What happens if I have a synchro/Xyz monster in a normal monster Zone and my Link monster is destroyed?

The problem with spam/swarm in YGO isn't the mechanics or power creep, it's both. The game has nothing in the way of a resource system to limit early plays or massive pushes along with card design that repeatedly goes as far as possible to drive sales.

Unless by the time the new rules start being enforced Konami makes a banlist hitting everything that would still be good I don't see how the game is gonna slow a significant amount.

True Dracos would still be a thing, Mermails will just go back to OTKing the fuck out of people without relying on the extra deck, Kozmos just outright don't need to give a fuck, hell people have even already found a combo with Zoodiacs to get a link monster and 2 more xyz from just one card if the rat stays at 3.

The only difference would be that anything relying on its extra deck will be irrelevant

So this is essentially a heavy nerf to any deck that has multiple extra deck monsters at once? Am I right in understanding it also limits players to a maximum of 3 extra deck monsters, with one of them being a Link Monster? And you have to summon the Link monster first? What happens if I have a synchro/Xyz monster in a normal monster Zone and my Link monster is destroyed?

You could summon a second Link monster and get more extra deck zones, not to mention Link monsters having up arrows most likely mean a player can also give its opponent a zone. As far as we know nothing happens to the monsters connected to the Link card if it's destroyed.

Big One

Banned

The problem with spam/swarm in YGO isn't the mechanics or power creep, it's both. The game has nothing in the way of a resource system to limit early plays or massive pushes along with card design that repeatedly goes as far as possible to drive sales.
If the Link monster gets destroyed, nothing will happen to the monsters linked to it (unless specified on the card for some reason).

Fj0823

If it were up to me the extra card zone would be the only place to summon extra deck monsters full stop. At least link monsters give you a chance to do all your old stupid garbage.

Which is exactly the problem.

The "they're slowing the game down guise" thing won't apply when links are so easy to summon. (They literally just need 3 monsters onot the field or a link 3 to be summoned and give you 3 zones)

Nothing is really changing. You'll now have a barrage of blue cards instead of white/black/dualcolor cards.

According to to Pojo. One of the cards announced already gives you 2 links for free.

They're just forcing the mechanic instead of supporting it to relevance like in the past

Now if this was a new format like the ones you see in Magic, I would love it.

But as they are, I'm kinda mad, I know I'll get used to it. But I also got used to Day 1 DLC and Season passes and still think they suck

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
If they were restricting the extra monster zone in a vacuum, that would be an interesting idea. But since they are really just making Links mandatory to expand these zones, they're shoehorning the new stuff in. Seems bizarre.

Sandfox

Which is exactly the problem.

The "they're slowing the game down guise" thing won't apply when links are so easy to summon. (They literally just need 3 monsters onot the field or a link 3 to be summoned and give you 3 zones)

Nothing is really changing. You'll now have a barrage of blue cards instead of white/black/dualcolor cards.

According to to Pojo. One of the cards announced already gives you 2 links for free.

They're just forcing the mechanic instead of supporting it to relevance like in the past

Now if this was a new format like the ones you see in Magic, I would love it.

But as they are, I'm kinda mad, I know I'll get used to it.

But I also got used to Day 1 DLC and Season passes and still think they suck
I know who you are referring to on Pojo and that guy was already proven to be mistaken lol.

Also, the link monsters we have so far, including the main character's ace seem to be fairly weak as monsters so we'll see what happens there when we start seeing booster pack stuff. Also, it's not you getting three zones, you get two and your opponent gets one.

Fj0823

I know who you are referring to on Pojo and that guy was already proven to be mistaken lol.

Also, the link monsters we have so far, including the main character's ace seem to be fairly weak as monsters so we'll see what happens there when we start seeing booster pack stuff. Also, it's not you getting three zones, you get two and your opponent gets one.

It depends entirely on the position of the arrows, we're likely to see a Link 3 with 3 bottom arrows at some point.

Also, monster spam still results in several Link 2s and 3s.

Links are immune to cards that affect Levels, Ranks or DEF

I agree Decode Talker is balanced but the potential for dumb stuff is pretty big here too

Remember, Xyz monsters all had weak effects or drawbacks and when running out of materials in their first set...And then all hell broke loose

Yeah I really don't like this mechanic change, and normally I like tactical positioning stuff. Ygo has always been a franken monster of a game that love it or hate it was unique because of its incredibly fast speeds and crazy combos cause everything is allowed. This actively changes how the game is played and not in a minor way like each player can have a field spell or no first turn draw.

Fj0823

Like I said, if this was a new format to keep together with the current playstyle it would've been amazing. Like the different playstyles in MTG

You could easily work links into regular rules by just stating that the arrows point to zones you can link summon into

Like I said, if this was a new format to keep together with the current plawusible it would've been amazing. Like the different playstyles in MTG

You could easily work links into regular rules by just stating that the arrows point to zones you can link summon into

I wouldn't be surprised if the backlash is severe enough if that doesn't happen.

Heero5

I'm torn on this, on one hand the slower pace of the game could be interesting and fun to work with, allowing for a bit skill to come back to the game.

On the othe, more realistic, hand this seems like trouble to me. Not to mention the poor attempt to blanket nerff pendulums.

I play D-Hero Tzolk'in... This hurts...

I wouldn't be surprised if the backlash is severe enough if that doesn't happen.

I could almost see this happening.

Isotope

QnVvs5s.png

What a time to be alive.

Heero5

Duston bro.

Edit: Apparently Pendulums are not considered Extra Deck monsters?

On a more positive note, I really like Decode Talker's design
So you can Pendulum a field of monsters from the extra deck regardless if you have a link monster? That's almost as one sided as pendulums already where. We're gonna need a list putting pendulums down...

Fj0823

So you can Pendulum a field of monsters from the extra deck regardless if you have a link monster? That's almost as one sided as pendulums already where. We're gonna need a list putting pendulums down...

Yep. The general consensus seems to be that while they can go to the extra they're not inherently Extra Deck Monsters.

The wording in the scans is that the Extra Zone is for Synchros, Xyz, Fusions and Links. No mention of Pendulums.

Obviously this could change.

Meaning their nerf was just loosing the extra zones, now you must play with only 3 S/T zones if you want to use Pendulums.

Meaning that you can pendulum summon 5 monsters, get a link 3 and a link 2 and start doing business as usual.

If that's so Lmao at people thinking this is helping slow down the game instead of just forcing Links at the expense of other mechanics

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
If that's so Lmao at people thinking this is helping slow down the game instead of just forcing Links at the expense of other mechanics

If you have to cram in a bunch of new shit to get your old shit to work that does slow the consistency down at least.

Fj0823

If you have to cram in a bunch of new shit to get your old shit to work that does slow the consistency down at least.

Links will have effects on their own allowing speed plays, control and Special summons.

The Links we have now are the equivalent of Junk Warrior or Grenosaurus.

More powerful effects will come in time.

tbh the thing I dislike the most about this is how it slows down the game and puts new restrictions on the players. I love how with every new anime we get a mechanic that makes the game even more faster and crazier, which climaxed with pendulum, a thing that sounds like the most broken shit every but it actually works, and empowers each previous mechanic in the process.

This is the first time where the new mechanic makes things slower and more limited, which is imo no the right way to go.

Heero5

tbh the thing I dislike the most about this is how it slows down the game and puts new restrictions on the players. I love how with every new anime we get a mechanic that makes the game even more faster and crazier, which climaxed with pendulum, a thing that sounds like the most broken shit every but it actually works, and empowers each previous mechanic in the process.

This is the first time where the new mechanic makes things slower and more limited, which is imo no the right way to go.
I agree, especially since this doesn't feel like a natural progression to me (and neither did Pendulums). These Link monsters are really not new or special, they just force a different style of play.

Also is there any decent reason these monsters can't be set face down?

Fj0823

I agree, especially since this doesn't feel like a natural progression to me (and neither did Pendulums). These Link monsters are really not new or special, they just force a different style of play.

Also is there any decent reason these monsters can't be set face down?

They don't have DEF and being placed in DEF position would change the position of the link markings

I like Links themselves, cool colors, hell the idea of "unlocking" zones to play them is fucking great.

But forcing the old mechanics to work only with them is terrible.

Regiruler

What are they going to do with those pendulums, exactly?

It's not much different than other decks being designed to vomit monsters from the hand/deck/graveyard.

Fj0823

It's not much different than other decks being designed to vomit monsters from the hand/deck/graveyard.

No but I agree, losing the 2 free zones is a good enough nerf for pendulum.

Heero5

Pendulums can not only make Link monsters quickly and efficiently but they can still attack normally. Plus spamming them from the extra deck doesn't seem healthy when every non pendulum deck just slowed down drastically.

Vashetti

Banned
Just picked up three The Dark Illusion packs out of the blue. First time I've bought booster packs or cards in general for literally years. Maybe even 10 years? I don't know. But it's been a long time since I bought Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

I got Magician's Rod, Magician's Robe and Dark Magic Expanded, so pleased. I know two of those are common, but I use to main a Dark Magician/Spellcaster deck and those were some of the cards I really wanted!

I also pulled Acrobatic Magician, no idea if that's good. These pendulum/synchro monsters are weird lol

This change to the game kills half of my irl decks, man. Feels real bad.

On the other hand, my Infernoids are going to be even more amazing now.

Wichu

Just picked up three The Dark Illusion packs out of the blue. First time I've bought booster packs or cards in general for literally years. Maybe even 10 years? I don't know. But it's been a long time since I bought Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

I got Magician's Rod, Magician's Robe and Dark Magic Expanded, so pleased. I know two of those are common, but I use to main a Dark Magician/Spellcaster deck and those were some of the cards I really wanted!

I also pulled Acrobatic Magician, no idea if that's good. These pendulum/synchro monsters are weird lol

I really like the direction they took Dark Magician in The Dark Illusion. I was afraid that they would just make it about summoning an upgraded version of him and just overpowering the opponent, like what they did with Red-Eyes, Black Luster Soldier, Buster Blader, and Blue-Eyes. Making the 'upgraded' version weaker than the original (but easier to summon) and basing the deck on Spells/Traps supporting him is far better than what I was expecting.

But if you want to complete the deck, get your wallet ready. Dark Magical Circle and Magician Navigation are around $20 each.
worth it

Top Bottom