• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YuGiOh Legacy of the duelist PS4 tournament (with story deck side event)

So I'll be holding two Yu-Gi-Oh LotD tournaments this weekend. It'll be Ps4 only, since cross play is unfortunately impossible with the Xbox One version

For more info on the game, please look to our OT http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1087560

Entries will be open until 11:59 PM US central Time, at which point I'll create the brackets and the tournament will start

To enter, pm me or post here with your PSN name, and which tournaments you're interested in
Anyways, to start, I'll introduce the main event

Rules:
1. Banlist follows the games Ban list(so no forbidden, one limited, and only 2 semi limited), any other cards are allowed, including DLC cards
2. All matches will be held as best 2 out of 3 with side decking (Make sure to select best of 3 or match format when creating your duel before inviting an opponent
3. Please try to use the 3 minute time limit to keep duels moving
4. Recording your duels is not required, but is encouraged, and will help settle disputes
5. You can use up to 2 decks during the tournament, but can only change them between matches. You must keep your side deck constant as well during the tournament
6. Format is double elimination, so everyone is allowed to lose once before being out
7. Try to finish at least one match a day on average. If you can't for some reason, please explain why. You can go ahead of schedule as much as you like, and it is in fact encouraged

Prizes: RE Player has generously decided to donate $60 to a prize pool, which will be given through PSN or amazon credit
split is as follows
1st Place: $35
2nd: $15
3rd: $10

Entrants: Username-PSN name
Aaronrules380-AaronThePaladin
Macklelol-MGOzone
SkullHydra-SkuiiHydra
Rrongfield-Chorifla123
Miracle-Streakydude
RE_Player-RE_Player
JVIDICAN-JVIDICAN
Crimsonlink-Crimsonlink310
bluesun,exe-g22196
Boogiepop-Mankkun
Cow Goes Moo-sneakers392
SirAndroidTV-Sir_Android
GustyGardner-Red_Devil_987
Shadowcreep-Vhscreep
Neither-NessMcTastyy

Story Deck Side Event
This is meant to be a fun side event that can also be fun for newer players who aren't confident in their ability to make their own deck

Rules:
1. You must use one of the game's prebuilt story deck recipes (Make sure it's a story deck and not a challenge deck)
2. Only story deck not allowed is the seeker exodia deck, everything else is fine, including DLC story decks
3. Match format, though story decks don't have side decks, so no need to worry about that
4. Double elimination format, same as main event
5. You can use as many different decks as you like, just make sure to switch only after a set is done
6. Try to finish at least one match a day on average. If you can't for some reason, please explain why. You can go ahead of schedule as much as you like, and it is in fact encouraged

Unlike the main event, there will not be prizes beyond bragging rights
Also, remember to get all the cards in the deck recipes you plan to use. It can easily be done by simply facing against the story deck you want to use repeatedly until you have all the cards in it
Entrants
Aaronrules380-AaronThePaladin
Macklelol-MGOzone
SkullHydra-SkuiiHydra
Rrongfield-Chorifla123
Miracle-Streakydude
bluesun,exe-g22196
Cow Goes Moo-sneakers392
GustyGardner-Red_Devil_987
Shadowcreep-Vhscreep

Side Deck tips and Advice
Side decks are a place where you can put up to 15 cards that you can swap in between rounds of a 3 round match. To do so in this game, you can press the circle button right after the round, before moving on to the next screen. An important note is you must still have the same size deck after side decking, so you can only swap cards, not add or take away

Some things to consider when side decking: Staple cards like Raigeki, effect veiler, and mirror force are usually good options if you don't have them in your main deck. Banishing cards can also be powerful options, since many powerful decks rely on interacting with the graveyard. You might also want to think about cards that can help shut down the competition, but make sure it doesn't hurt your own deck, at least not as much as it does the opponents

Here's a good list of cards that are useful in a side deck against popular archetypes http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1209707

the cards listed next to an archetype are useful at countering that archetype

Edit: Tournament's started. Brackets here
Main
yugiohgafmain.png

side event
YGOgafstory.png

macklelol

This post will contain matches recorded by the tournament participants.

Main Tournament:

Losers Round 2 Match: macklelol vs. Boogiepop
- Game 1
- Game 2

Losers Finals: Rrongfield vs. SkullHydra
- Game 1
- Game 2

Grand Finals Match: Shadowcreep vs. Rrongfield
- Game 1
- Game 2 [Part 1] [Part 2]
- Game 3 [Part 1] [Part 2]

Story Deck Side Tournament:

Round 2 Match: macklelol vs. GustyGardner
- Game 1
- Game 2

Round 2 Match: SkullHydra vs. Cow Goes Moo
- Game 1
- Game 2

Round 3 Match: macklelol vs. Rrongfield
- Game 1
- Game 2

Round 3 Match: SkullHydra vs. Miracle
- Game 1
- Game 2

Winners Finals Match: macklelol vs. SkullHydra
- Game 1
- Game 2

I'm definitely hyped for this tournament. My deck is coming along pretty well, but still needs a bit of wok before the tournament begins. And shoot, I may need to make a second deck just in case.

And I still haven't decided which Story Deck to use. Hm...

Boogiepop

I'm down for the main tournament. I'll PM my PSN in a bit when I get a chance. Not sure if I'll be any good at all as I haven't had much of a chance to practice and tweak decks, and I haven't played seriously against others in like years and years so I'm definitely not experienced with the meta. But I'll give it a shot.

Is there a way to check which of my duelist recipes are from the Story mode instead of the Challenges? I'm still trying to decide which deck to use, but don't really know how to tell which decks are allowed.

bumpkin

My deck was useless in the last tourney that SkullHydra organized. Couldn't hold my own against the crazy shit some of you guys were rolling.

macklelol

Is there a way to check which of my duelist recipes are from the Story mode instead of the Challenges? I'm still trying to decide which deck to use, but don't really know how to tell which decks are allowed.

There is. When you're looking at the deck recipes, it should say under Unlocked either "Series: Yu-Gi-Oh! _____" or "Completed Duels Vs _____". The former means it was a story deck, the latter is a challenge deck.

macklelol

There is. When you're looking at the deck recipes, it should say under Unlocked either "Series: Yu-Gi-Oh! _____" or "Completed Duels Vs _____". The former means it was a story deck, the latter is a challenge deck.
How did I miss that? Thanks, man!

Out of curiosity, will this be streamed or recorded? I would very much want to view this.
I'm going to try to remember to record my games and upload them to Youtube, but the 15 minute restriction can be a bit of a pain for longer duels.

Reminder, this starts tomorrow, so make sure to put together your decks if your entering.

And remember, new entrants are still allowed until it starts, so if you're on the fence feel free to join in

As an extra note, I'm giving any byes avaiable preferentially to the people who did well in the first tournament, based on placement. So right now, Macklelol (1st place), SkullHydra(3rd) and SirAndroid (Tied with me for 5th) are getting byes, but that number might go down if we get more entrants. I doubt we'll get more than 16 people, so I wouldn't expect it to go up unless someone needs to withdraw

I'm considering closing entries to the main tournament an hour or two earlier, given that we're getting close to 16 (going over means a few pairs will have to play an extra round compared to the majority). The matches will start at the same time, just gives me more time to post the bracket and let people arrange matches.

I'm also thinking of closing the main tournament immediately if we reach 16, since it'll provide even more prep time for people, maybe even allow the tournament to start early, and there will be no byes, so everyone is on equal ground. If you have any thoughts on this, please share

Finally, I'm planning to see if I can stream my matches for those interested. I've never done that before, so I'll have to see if I can figure it out before the matches start.

Never mind about the streaming part, the thought occured to me that the stream could be viewed by my opponent to see the cards in my hand. Unless someone knows a way to do it so only people I invite can join the stream (So that I can make sure not to invite my opponent)

RE_Player

Just a heads up, I'm working early in the morning tomorrow and probably won't leave the job site I'm on until the afternoon. So whoever I get paired off with excuse me for possibly not responding right away.

macklelol

I just gotta finish up my side deck and I'll be ready.

Curious to see how many of us will actually play with meta decks in this tournament. I wouldn't really be surprised if they aren't heavily used.

Boogiepop

Also, just putting this out there now rather than later just so it doesn't unintentionally come across as sour grapes after losing: I'm totally expecting to suck pretty hard. Honestly haven't gotten to the point of learning the meta or even really my own decks and how to play well, pretty much just played the story and gathered cards so far, and just barely touched trying to build proper decks. So yeah, my goal this time around is to at least not lose horribly!

I do totally hope we keep doing those, as I'd love to keep doing this sort of thing as I get better at the game!

Fj0823

Also, just putting this out there now rather than later just so it doesn't unintentionally come across as sour grapes after losing: I'm totally expecting to suck pretty hard. Honestly haven't gotten to the point of learning the meta or even really my own decks and how to play well, pretty much just played the story and gathered cards so far, and just barely touched trying to build proper decks. So yeah, my goal this time around is to at least not lose horribly!

I do totally hope we keep doing those, as I'd love to keep doing this sort of thing as I get better at the game!

Just add every special summon negation you know, and pray to Ra.

I won't be available to play till afternoon time EST as a warning to my first opponent and am too tired to even consider it tonight.

I apologize for saying there was only an hour left an hour ago, I forgot I set it to start my own timezone (Central) and not Eastern. So actually one more hour to sign up before it starts and I post the bracket

And we are live. Brackets have been added to the original post. Please contact your opponent(s) and make a match ASAP.

Remember to report your score here after each 3 round match

This is the second time in a row that I face neither in the first round. We are fated to be rivals!

EDIT: Their PS4's HDMI port just busted, so we won't actually get to duel. ;_;

Top Bottom