• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman |OT| -- Lose Until You Win

RoboManus

Neo Member
B.K. said:
Did NISA only print a few dozen copies of the game? I went to about five Gamestops today looking for it and couldn't find it anywhere.

Same here, my Gamestop didn't even know this game existed, but I'm in Canada.

B.K. said:
Did NISA only print a few dozen copies of the game? I went to about five Gamestops today looking for it and couldn't find it anywhere.

I think NISA just fucked up in shipping it out on time. GameStop.com has November 2nd as tthe release date now.

Deeku

rainking187 said:
I think NISA just fucked up in shipping it out on time. GameStop.com has November 2nd as tthe release date now.
Well that explains why Playasia still hasn't shipped mine yet.

Loving the impressions though.

Volcynika

Anyone like going to the side training dungeon just due to the zany music? :lol

You can really boost your total level there, I go up 10-15 levels per visit. Total level is 112 now. But I should really go ahead and tackle the boss of Level 4.

My friend doesn't usually go for roguelikes type games but he likes this one because "it doesn't kick you with a steel-toed boot in the balls every time you die." :lol

dili

Volcynika said:
Anyone like going to the side training dungeon just due to the zany music? :lol

You can really boost your total level there, I go up 10-15 levels per visit. Total level is 112 now. But I should really go ahead and tackle the boss of Level 4.

My friend doesn't usually go for roguelikes type games but he likes this one because "it doesn't kick you with a steel-toed boot in the balls every time you die." :lol
I think I've jumped almost 100 levels because of the Mastery cave. It's really good for getting loot, but I notice food is much more rare than it is in regular dungeons.

I've used the mastery cave for hours and I'm still hearing new variants of that same song too.

GhaleonQ

I admit that I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I have experimented, at least, with a lot of dungeon crawlers. This is my all-time favorite so far.

Volcynika

dili said:
I think I've jumped almost 100 levels because of the Mastery cave. It's really good for getting loot, but I notice food is much more rare than it is in regular dungeons.

I've used the mastery cave for hours and I'm still hearing new variants of that same song too.

I've been seeing a little bit of food, but whenever I see a item that looks like a healing one it's always a status healing item, I barely have seen any HP healing items at all.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
dili said:

Oh god, that song.

When I managed to open up that dungeon last night, and then when the song started playing, I kept hearing the "channel change clicks", and kept thinking I stepped on a stupid trap. I was paranoid for about 10 minutes until I figured out what was going on.

Awesome song.

Volcynika

I must be missing/forgot how to do things. I got some new people for my facilities from the hero dungeon as well as new features or whatever (Police Station?), but I have no idea where to go access these features/new people. Also people are slowly but surely not able to make it to the caravan, do I just somehow set them to appear on floor 0 so they can heal up and regenerate?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Volcynika said:
I must be missing/forgot how to do things. I got some new people for my facilities from the hero dungeon as well as new features or whatever (Police Station?), but I have no idea where to go access these features/new people. Also people are slowly but surely not able to make it to the caravan, do I just somehow set them to appear on floor 0 so they can heal up and regenerate?

You need to talk to the facilities manager at the home base. He/she is located right next to the green dragon that's in charge of the music. Once there, you can mess around w/ the facilities you have and set new ones.

I'm feeling a little hesitant about this game. I usually don't like rougelikes in which levels are retained, because it inevitably leads to grinding. But the NIS style looks really nice here.

jman2050

Dead Ranger dude: Let's call her Socia because blah blah blah
Me: Wow, that's a pretty stupid name.
Etranger: I don't know about your naming conventions. Sounds pretty stupid to me.

This game owns. And if you aren't playing it with English VA, you're doing it wrong.

Volcynika

tetrisgrammaton said:
I'm feeling a little hesitant about this game. I usually don't like rougelikes in which levels are retained, because it inevitably leads to grinding. But the NIS style looks really nice here.

Did you see the trailer? Where they kept mentioning "grindfest"? :p

jman2050 said:
This game owns. And if you aren't playing it with English VA, you're doing it wrong.

if playing with the japanese va is wrong, i don't wanna be right :) ...

playing this in tiny chunks till i've put new vegas behind me, & this game's the most disgaea-type dumb/funny experience i've had with a video game since... well, disgaea. definitely my sleeper hit of the year, which is good, tho unfortunate - it's waaay to good a game to be a sleeper. hopefully some word of mouth can fix this...

Volcynika

I keep thinking I'll be able to scrounge up some items on a new death run to take on the Level 4 boss but the first time I got to him one of the enemies killed me pretty fast, I was already starving too :lol

I keep randomly going back to the Hero Dungeon and getting loot to turn into body mods, not sure if I want to make much use of the things that increase efficiency in the equipment you have over the small stat boosts yet...hm!

EDIT: Blog entry from Nick Doerr of NISA at Siliconera

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/11/01/nis-america-blog-zhp-and-the-human-condition/

Volcynika

I don't post all the time about it! I'm just trying to get through Level 4 still, mostly still going through the Hero Dungeon.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game 2 nights ago, so I'm on the post game content. Enjoyed the ride, stupidly-funny story.

Current Total Level is at about 1600+, I think.

I'm going through ZHP withdrawal right now. I've been playing mornings and evenings.

I should be playing more storyline levels, but I feel like I'm getting more playing time in by trying to get as deep as possible in the 60 level training dungeon.

This morning I figured out how the blacksmith synthesize command works. Prior to that I had only synthesized two daggers into a dagger+1 and two handguns into a handgun+1. I had the impression that you could only combine items that were equipped and figured out the whole select other items part today.

To add insult to injury, both the dagger and handgun lost their default skills because I didn't know you had to specify that their skills/attributes carry over. :lol

Lately, before entering a dungeon I had been buying up the really cheap healing items since even the worst healing item restores 5 endurance. Some of the status healing items restore endurance so when in doubt, I eat it, especially when my inventory is full.

Last night I noticed that some equipment is edible. There's a helmet (Appetite something) that slows your endurance loss by half and when it is eaten, it restores 50 endurance. I've made a note to stock up on those and replace the meats I've been carrying for deep dives.

There is a silk hat that restores endurance every time you kill something, but it only restores 1 or 2 endurance per enemy, I think. I wouldn't mind pulling the appetite suppressing skill and endurance restoration skills into another (less ugly) helmet, but the appetite suppressing skill costs 8 points by itself.

Lance Bone Path said:
I'm going through ZHP withdrawal right now. I've been playing mornings and evenings.

I should be playing more storyline levels, but I feel like I'm getting more playing time in by trying to get as deep as possible in the 60 level training dungeon.

This morning I figured out how the blacksmith synthesize command works. Prior to that I had only synthesized two daggers into a dagger+1 and two handguns into a handgun+1. I had the impression that you could only combine items that were equipped and figured out the whole select other items part today.

To add insult to injury, both the dagger and handgun lost their default skills because I didn't know you had to specify that their skills/attributes carry over. :lol

Lately, before entering a dungeon I had been buying up the really cheap healing items since even the worst healing item restores 5 endurance. Some of the status healing items restore endurance so when in doubt, I eat it, especially when my inventory is full.

Last night I noticed that some equipment is edible. There's a helmet (Appetite something) that slows your endurance loss by half and when it is eaten, it restores 50 endurance. I've made a note to stock up on those and replace the meats I've been carrying for deep dives.

There is a silk hat that restores endurance every time you kill something, but it only restores 1 or 2 endurance per enemy, I think. I wouldn't mind pulling the appetite suppressing skill and endurance restoration skills into another (less ugly) helmet, but the appetite suppressing skill costs 8 points by itself.

when you use higher rank items to synth you get more points to work with. thus you can make some really dumb shit

depward

I really am enjoying this game immensely; just haven't had much time to play. Just about to start level 4 and wondering - where is this mastery or training dungeon that I keep on hearing about?!

It's funny - I'm not sure I've ever purchased an NIS game before. I don't dig the Disgaea series (can't do SRPGs) and nothing else really seemed to stand-out to me amongst their other releases... but Z.H.P. is incredibly fun. Too bad with it being on the PSP it won't get the kind of love it deserves... but that's a whole other topic of conversation.

depward said:
I really am enjoying this game immensely; just haven't had much time to play. Just about to start level 4 and wondering - where is this mastery or training dungeon that I keep on hearing about?!

It's funny - I'm not sure I've ever purchased an NIS game before. I don't dig the Disgaea series (can't do SRPGs) and nothing else really seemed to stand-out to me amongst their other releases... but Z.H.P. is incredibly fun. Too bad with it being on the PSP it won't get the kind of love it deserves... but that's a whole other topic of conversation.
I think you unlock it a little bit after or during that chapter.

depward

GhaleonQ said:
Play Classic Dungeon as soon as possible, then.

Whoops, forgot to mention that I picked that up about a week before ZHP and have been enjoying that a whole lot as well. So TWO NIS games that I've purchased before never purchasing any.

B.K.

I'm playing the game now. I'm surprised by the amount of text and cutscenes. I thought this was a Rogue-like and that Rogue-likes were supposed to be almost all gameplay and almost no story. So far, Z.H.P. has been about 85% cutscenes and text and almost no gameplay.

jiien

B.K. said:
I'm playing the game now. I'm surprised by the amount of text and cutscenes. I thought this was a Rogue-like and that Rogue-likes were supposed to be almost all gameplay and almost no story. So far, Z.H.P. has been about 85% cutscenes and text and almost no gameplay.

It'll open up soon enough, and you can grind to your heart's content, in true Disgaea fashion.

jman2050

depward said:
Is the music in the Mastery Dungeon just about the best music to grind to or what! So awesome :lol

You know how terrible it is when you can't get a certain game theme out of your head because you hear it constantly during play? Well, now experience the true terror of having 8 different versions of the same game theme in your head at the same time! :lol

yursnhere

I am loving this game so far, and this is coming from someone who was burned out on N1 games and hated Cladun. The humor, gameplay and customization are awesome.

I have only just cleared 2-1, so this could drastically change the more I play, but so far Z.H.P. strikes me as the kinder, gentler rogue-like. It's also quite chatty, not that I mind, it's just more exposition than I'm used to seeing coming from a rogue-like.

jaundicejuice said:
I have only just cleared 2-1, so this could drastically change the more I play, but so far Z.H.P. strikes me as the kinder, gentler rogue-like. It's also quite chatty, not that I mind, it's just more exposition than I'm used to seeing coming from a rogue-like.
you are fighting rank 1's it gets VERY mean.

depward

At around 10 hours and this is stilly my surprise of 2010; just a wonderfully done game.

Also, some advice for those tackling 4-2 (specifically, the boss battle):

I could not for the life of me find out what to do. I thought OK, I need to deflect the lasers into the shield thing. Not so. Tried and tried. I then read that there was a large mirror which you're supposed to deflect the lasers into... and I couldn't find that!

Well, the large mirror is OPPOSITE of where the boss was. Duh.

What helped was remember that square plus the left shoulder button ZOOMS OUT. Which I seemingly forgot about. And is very much helpful to me now.

B.K.

I finally made it to the bottom of the first Mastery Cave. I had 1500 total levels and was about level 80 when I got to the bottom. I thought I'd have a chance against
Flonne
, but one of the monsters that was there with her killed me in one hit. :eek:

AkumaHokoru said:
you can manipulate which hero songs play by what you are wearing the more random your outfit...the more random the music.
It almost shames me to confess this, but I ended up putting together a spreadsheet to map equipment to the pieces of music. It turns out that each equipment slot always maps to the same set of verses. A weapon that can go into either hand will affect different verses depending on which hand it's in.

Each piece of equipment also maps to one type of hero (unlosing ranger, magical girl, fantasy rpg, dark hero, junk hero, far-east-as-viewed-by-westerners hero, etc...). Empty slots have the default unlosing ranger type.

The magical-girliest helmet (mermaid) maps to fantasy rpg instead of magical girl, unfortunately :/.

The lyrics shown seem to accurately reflect what's being sung in the music. I was impressed by that since I hadn't paid that much attention to it until recently.

I've also ended up making a very basic spreadsheet to keep track of the body modifications I've made after I noticed that equipment of different ranks yield different levels of stat bonuses. OMG, this game... :lol

I got this in the mail yesterday, so I've put a few hours into it. I guess this confirms why I had evaded NIS productions up until now. It's seeming like the kind of RPG that just isn't for me. For starters, the story is more invasive and grating than I thought it would be. Stories in RPGs are a big motivator for me, but of course I went into this with a different mindset. It takes the worst aspects of something like Power Rangers, which I realize is the point, and runs with it. It's too self-aware, and thinks its funnier than it actually is. That would be okay if the gameplay was engaging to make up for it.

The gameplay isn't clicking with me. The special attacks feel like more of a hassle than they are worth, and the item management is tedious. I particularly dislike how disposable the equipment feels. The weapons wear out too easily. The equipment having a visual effect on the character is not visually pleasing to me and just makes the main character ridiculous looking. I like the Shadowgram system and being able to manipulate your stats through that. Money is a pain to deal with, since every enemy doesn't always drop some and when they do it isn't much. I really dislike how tedious the game overall is, since you have to micromanage so much (money, equipment, items, energy, etc).

I'm still going to try and stick with it, but I doubt it will eventually click with me. At this point, I'm just going around and beating stuff up with my fists, since I don't want to deal with equipment. :lol I should have just gotten Ys Seven instead. :\

ninj4junpei said:
I got this in the mail yesterday, so I've put a few hours into it. I guess this confirms why I had evaded NIS productions up until now. It's seeming like the kind of RPG that just isn't for me. For starters, the story is more invasive and grating than I thought it would be. Stories in RPGs are a big motivator for me, but of course I went into this with a different mindset. It takes the worst aspects of something like Power Rangers, which I realize is the point, and runs with it. It's too self-aware, and thinks its funnier than it actually is. That would be okay if the gameplay was engaging to make up for it.

The gameplay isn't clicking with me. The special attacks feel like more of a hassle than they are worth, and the item management is tedious. I particularly dislike how disposable the equipment feels. The weapons wear out too easily. The equipment having a visual effect on the character is not visually pleasing to me and just makes the main character ridiculous looking. I like the Shadowgram the system and being able to manipulate your stats through that. Money is a pain to deal with, since every enemy doesn't always drop some and when they do it isn't much. I really dislike how tedious the game overall is, since you have to micromanage so much (money, equipment, items, energy, etc).

I'm still going to try and stick with it, but I doubt it will eventually click with me. At this point, I'm just going around and beating stuff up with my fists, since I don't want to deal with equipment. :lol I should have just gotten Ys Seven instead. :\

It gets better, but the story interludes in the middle of dungeons did irritate me too. If they were just at the beginning and end I wouldn't mind them so much, but I really hated having the gameplay flow grind to a halt everytime I moved down a floor. The floors take a maximum of 2-3 minutes, so it was like watching a movie to have it paused and swapped out for something else every couple minutes. The humor is fine though.

I think the equipment works fine given the rise in difficulty as you continue. Having all your equipment in bag destroyed every so often makes the disposable nature of the equipment better. I imagine that losing a rare item in this way would be reaaaaly frustrating later on though.

All in all, the Mastery Dungeons really are where I have the most fun. Just long spouts of gameplay. On the other hand they're pretty damn difficult.

B.K. said:
How does Synthesis at the blacksmith work? The game really doesn't give much information about it.
Synthesis defaults to displaying/operating on your equipment, which is somewhat unhelpful for helping people understand what synthesis does. Click on the shoulder buttons to navigate to your item bag and to your home storage.

You can in general only combine equipment of the same type together. The equipment's rank (number of stars) determines the maximum synthesis level. Synthesis level enhances equipment stat bonuses and durability.

Synthesized equipment can inherit skills and innate abilities of the equipment used for synthesis, but those skills and abilities cost a variable number of points and the number of points you can spend is inherited from the equipment that's used as the base. For 1 star ranked basic equipment, you get 8 points. Note that you have to actually select skills and attributes because nothing is selected by default.

Something like poison or blindness nullification costs 4 points each. Most attack type skills vary, but 4 points is about average. Really great skills could cost 8 points. I'm not sure if there is any great synthesized equipment you can make early on.

jman2050

B.K. said:
But how do you increase the equipment's stats through synthesis?

The equipment's stats are a function of its condition, which you raise when synthing with other equipment, and its rank. Raising its condition will eventually raise its stats, though obviously it's a percentage increase. The key is that lower-ranked items can only be synthed relatively few times before getting maxed out, which means few opportunities to raise condition which means it's generally not worth doing. At higher ranks though, you can synthesize many more times, and the condition increases per synth go up as you work with higher level equipment. So generally, your goal is to get an item's condition as high as possible, because as far as I understand all stat modifications are derived from that more than anything else.

Of course it's even more complex than all this but this is the general gist of it.

Top Bottom