• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Taruranto

Just got to
The Dark World Lorule
, I don't know how I feel about this honestly.

I don't think it's a straight bad game, not like SS/TP/PH, but I'm kinda conflicted. I'm really liking the return to the roots, the less focus on the story, etc. On other hand, the game feels very derivative (it's especially grating having re-played Alttp last year or so), some aspect like the ability to buy/get all the items immediately feel underused (game is too easy, dungeons are tuned for 1 item anyway).

I dunno, it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Certainly an interesting game, but in retrospect, I should have waited for a price drop instead of buying this now.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just got to
The Dark World Lorule

I don't think it's a straight bad game, not like SS/TP/PH, but I'm kinda conflicted. I'm really liking the return to the roots, the less focus on the story, etc. On other hand, the game feels very derivative (it's especially grating having re-played Alttp last year or so), some aspect like the ability to buy/get all the items immediately feel underused (game is too easy, dungeons are tuned for 1 item anyway).

I dunno, it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Certainly an interesting game, but in retrospect, I should have waited for a price drop instead of buying this now.

Some of your complaints are rectified further in the game.

Taruranto

Some of your complaints are rectified further in the game.

Yeah, I'm exploring
Lorule
, and there are some interesting things. It feels weird to have a Zelda game were you have to piece things together by yourself and without an annoying sidekick spoiling the fun again.

Though the boss from the water dungeon was the same as alttp... come on Nintendo. =_=

DonMigs85

Just got to
The Dark World Lorule

Unlikely to ever get price dropped for a new copy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I beat the
thieves hideout
yesterday and I'm loving the game more and more. The design in that dungeon (
and merging into the boss shield!
) was fantastic. I love how there are some enemies that just destroy you if you're not careful, like those fire demons in Death Mountain. I also made it up to the
fire mine
, great use of the 3D effect there.

btw the battery life of my 3DS has increased significantly after dropping the brightness to 3, makes a huge difference.

mantidor

I'm about to beat it but I don't want it to end :(.

The twist was painfully obvious yet presented in such sympathetic way that I actually rooted for Hilda, I kind of wanted to give her the triforce heh, and I love it refered to one of my concerns about Zelda lore, why not destroy the triforce in the first place? now we know. Also, Yuga is kicking my ass again and again, I can't bounce back the second ball when it goes all fluorescent.

Talking about difficulty, I find it perfect, for me Zelda is not really about what I call "grind" your way to deafeating your enemy, Diablo style, where you spam and spam the attack until you bring their hit points down, it's about figuring out enemies, which are a puzzle by themselves, from the smallest diving crow to the last boss. Yes, once you figure them out is awfully easy, but that's where the fun lies, I understand people who do 3 heart runs but I personally would find no enjoyment in that, Zelda's combat is not really that deep, with the only exception of maybe Skyward Sword.

This game can easily be my GoTY as well.

mantidor

Finished and it was awesome.

I still don't get how the triforce is supposed to work, can you ask any wish? Can you ask an infinite number of wishes? Does Lorule's triforce grants wishes as well? seems like the biggest Deus ex machina ever. However I'm glad they didn't leave poor Lorule abandoned and in ruins.

Taruranto

Geez, the baseball mini-game... it wasn't SO BAD like I heard once you figured how to get the balls in certain places, but... man.

On other hand, 1 Dungeon left, got all heart/power ups/etc, so yay.

Enjoyed the dungeons definitely more than TP/SS, some of them were definitely too short (
Turtle Rock
being the worst offender, it's especially aggravating since half of the gimmicks in there consist in killing all enemies) but I got stuck a couple of times and I appreciated they tried to re-create the multi-level structures in some cases (
Ice Dungeon
was probable the best)

A shame the game enemies get easier as you progress, why does the Nintendo insist on not letting the player have Hero Mode from the start, ffs? :/

Lunar15

Geez, the baseball mini-game... it wasn't SO BAD like I heard once you figured how to get the balls in certain places, but... man.

On other hand, 1 Dungeon left, got all heart/power ups/etc, so yay.

Enjoyed the dungeons definitely more than TP/SS, some of them were definitely too short (
Turtle Rock
being the worst offender, it's especially aggravating since half of the gimmicks in there consist in killing all enemies) but I got stuck a couple of times and I appreciated they tried to re-create the multi-level structures in some cases (
Ice Dungeon
was probable the best)

A shame the game enemies get easier as you progress, why does the Nintendo insist on not letting the player have Hero Mode from the start, ffs? :/

I agree that having hero mode from the start would have given me a more favorable impression of the game. As it is, it's somewhat of an unremarkable game.

Vlade

So I'm about to enter what I assume to be the final dungeon. Can anyone let me know if I've got 100% so far?

I have:
Every heart piece
5 bottles
Every item upgrade (including net + lantern)
Every Maiamai
Level 3 Master Sword
Hylian Shield
Blue Mail

Did you get the
giant chicken
?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I need a (subtle) hint for one of the dungeon's treasures. I just beat the
dark palace, which was awesome, but I missed one chest, which I assume is the secret upgrade one. It's in the exact center of the map on the second floor, but I can't figure out how to reach it. Exploring other floors around that center gave me nothing.

Anteo

I need a (subtle) hint for one of the dungeon's treasures. I just beat the
dark palace, which was awesome, but I missed one chest, which I assume is the secret upgrade one. It's in the exact center of the map on the second floor, but I can't figure out how to reach it. Exploring other floors around that center gave me nothing.

You probably forgot that
whenever you see the boss face on the wall, that wall can rotate around to take you to the other side.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You probably forgot that
whenever you see the boss face on the wall, that wall can rotate around to take you to the other side.

I didn't! Tried that, didn't find more switches that activated one. But thx, now I know I was on to something.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I completed it, my first Zelda Game: wow , it's my goty 2013.

Really enjoyed,really nicely paced and that music l.
Love the freedom the game gives.
I have traded it in,not a big 100% completion player, nor will I replay it.

what next should I play out of
OoT 3DS
Minish Cap
4-swords

Cannot afford to dl eshop games.

I am thinking of getting TP or SS maybe both (have store voucher)

What does GAF think ?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Easily Ocarina, go download it now, stat. The game is truly timeless and the tweaks make OoT3D the ultimate version.

Cool I have a physical copy but being the impulsive type , I played a bit and stopped, ok this will be next.. It's ok for on the go play?

CassSept

Cool I have a physical copy but being the impulsive type , I played a bit and stopped, ok this will be next.. It's ok for on the go play?

Tbh kind of hard for me to say, but I'd guess you'll do fine. 3D does look pretty sweet, but it can be hard to maintain in the more action-packed sequences.

The game was primarily built for home consoles, so there are some longer and might be somewhat problematic, but there's always sleep mode. The game is absolutely brilliant and there is a reason why it's so highly regarded.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
cool, OoT it is.

well as it's a home console style game that may meand completing a level takes longer than my commute time, but I can work around it.

Looking forward to experiencing it.

I think I caught the zelda bug, want to experience more of it.

and the best it has to offer.

OoT then other ones on my list,
pick up TP and SS (in time, not all at once)

well if OoT has the big exploration and discoveries to make, I am happy..

Qurupeke

So... When the game was announced I wasn't really impressed by it. I surely liked it, I wasn't one of those that hated the artstyle, but the game didn't "click" to me. I'd buy it, it was a new Zelda, but I preferred a more 3D one and a different artstyle. Probably I'd like a MM 3D more than that. And when I saw that someone completed it in 20~ hours I really thought that it would be a mediocre at best Zelda...

So, I never played ALTTP but I decided to start it this Christmas. A beautiful game, really. Despite its age, it's probably one of my favourite Zelda ever and I didn't expect to enjoy it that much. I always thought people overreacted about it and loved it because of nostalgia... Well, I was entirely wrong. I loved the game so much that I need more of ALTTP's Hyrule. So I decided to give ALBW a shot instead of waiting till later to buy it.

Well, I think I've found a better game than ALTTP and the first portable Zelda that really blew up my mind. First of all, the artstyle is really great. I didn't expect to like it but I loved it in an instant. Also, the changes into the usual formula are really great. I didn't really followed the news about the game and I thought you could only rent one item, a bit like the masks in OoT. When I rented everything in Ravio's shop I had a huge smile... I could explore a large portion of the world from the first hour. ALTTP was great and it let you see a lot, or even WW and OoT but this was astonishing. Moreover, I'm now in Lorule and I really enjoy visiting the dungeons in a different way than usual. I mean, the first dungeon I went is Turtle Rock, the last in ALTTP!

I still have not completed it, but I'm sure that it beats every other Zelda in a certain part. Music. Such a lovely soundtrack. The music of the overworld, Lorule, Yuga battle... Everything. They're so great. So perfect. And btw, after playing WW HD, I was disappointed by the awful dungeons. This game certainly has awesome dungeons though.

Sanic

Dark Palace question:

I have all four of the orbs in the boss area lit EXCEPT for the top left one. What am I missing? I've been through the entire dungeon, and somehow missed whatever I had to do to light that orb. I've gone back through every area and can't see what i'm missing.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's rare, but some switches can do more than one thing at a time.

Yeah thanks for this. Never would've found this on my own. Very tricky chest.

I just finished the game. An all-out incredible Zelda game with tons of polish. Ranks among the best. What a difference between this and Phantom Hourglass, last portable Zelda I played. Didn't even try Spirit Tracks because I disliked PH so much. But this... It's rare, even in the Zelda series, to have consistently creative and well thought out dungeons like in this game. Most of the boss battles were great as well. There's not a single element that brought this game down, it was a fantastic experience from start to finish.

It literally made my head spin :p I've played a lot today, finishing 3 dungeons, and the 3DS made me dizzy as hell. I'm even seeing this screen in 2 layers. Think I'll have to turn down the 3D effect in the future.

The game kept telling me to take a break, but it cleary doesn't realize how addictive it is.

CassSept

cool, OoT it is.

well as it's a home console style game that may meand completing a level takes longer than my commute time, but I can work around it.

Looking forward to experiencing it.

I think I caught the zelda bug, want to experience more of it.

and the best it has to offer.

OoT then other ones on my list,
pick up TP and SS (in time, not all at once)

well if OoT has the big exploration and discoveries to make, I am happy..

Just don't expect to get concise answer about the quality of individual installments from the Internet. Zelda has to have one of the most split fanbases in pop culture, basically every single game in the series is either worst most overrated crap ever or best Zelda ever 10/10 would play again.

OoT is a great place to start though. Despite core gameplay and what Internet would lead you to believe every 3D Zelda (but TP) is very unique in it's own right and every single one is highly recommended in whatever order you want to approach them (MM is tricky though, it is very much an acquired taste, most people hate it the first time around, it usually takes a while to appreciate what the game set out to accomplish).

peakish

Just finished this on Normal: Great game, great Zelda. Progression was cool although I wish extra heart containers would be more sparse after dungeons in Lorule since the bosses and enemies were cakewalks after beating two or three temples. Having thought that Spirit Tracks and Skyward Swords were great it's safe to me to say that Nintendo is on a roll with the series and I'm as excited as ever to see what they'll to on the U :)

Also, the Dark Overworld remixed music gave me chills.

Tom_Cody

I finished on normal a while ago and I'm towards the end of hero mode. As I've been playing through hero mode I have continued to go back in to normal to try to get 50/50 of the street pass challenges and I just did that this morning. Now I'm finally fully finished with that save file and now I will chip away at the challenges in hero mode.

Question: If you have two save files, which do people get in a street pass?

Question 2: If you have a hero mode save file, is this indicated in some way to the person who receives the street pass? Does it effect the bounty?

Tom_Cody

How do I find shadow Links in the overworld?
There is a section in Kakariko village dedicated to street pass. There will be a signboard for each street pass you have received. When you read them you will get an indication as to where that shadow link will appear.

n64coder

Easily Ocarina, go download it now, stat. The game is truly timeless and the tweaks make OoT3D the ultimate version.

I'm in the final dungeon at the very end for the Wii VC version but I haven't played it in several months. I think I will start over but play it on the 3DS since I prefer to play it on the handheld than the big TV. Plus, it would be good to see the enhancements that were done.

So I've just finished (near endgame spoilers)
all the Lorule dungeons and gotten the Triforce. It appears as though I've got one dungeon left, the Lorule Castle. Can I assume that I need to go ahead and tie up any lose ends prior to heading that way?

Really not eager for this to end. Been enforcing a self-imposed pace of 1 dungeon a night in an attempt to stretch it out as long as I can.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
all the Lorule dungeons and gotten the Triforce. It appears as though I've got one dungeon left, the Lorule Castle. Can I assume that I need to go ahead and tie up any lose ends prior to heading that way?

Really not eager for this to end. Been enforcing a self-imposed pace of 1 dungeon a night in an attempt to stretch it out as long as I can.

Tie up them loose ends.

Tom_Cody

First off, Hero Mode is really well balanced and I think you will enjoy playing through that as well. The jump in difficulty really invigorates a second playthough. This is the only Zelda game I've ever played through twice in immediate succession.

To answer your question more specifically:

Once you have the ability to enter you can win the game but you can also exit the final dungeon and save after you have entered it. This is the only way to max out your street pass profile (you get an item/upgrade inside that you can use outside).

Also, beating the game and restarting in Hero Mode doesn't delete your save file; you do in this in a separate save file.

leroidys

There is a section in Kakariko village dedicated to street pass. There will be a signboard for each street pass you have received. When you read them you will get an indication as to where that shadow link will appear.

Thanks! Another question: I noticed that there is an achievement for winning a match with the regular shield. If I already have the upgrade, is there no way I can get this?

Tom_Cody

Thanks! Another question: I noticed that there is an achievement for winning a match with the regular shield. If I already have the upgrade, is there no way I can get this?
Don't worry about it; if you have the upgrade you get both at the same time. This is true of all of the other items/upgrades as well.

I just skimmed the last two pages and didn't see it mentioned, but I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere in the thread. Yet here it goes.

I'm ready to buy a 3DS And this game soon. I can get it all on the cheap through a combination of Amazon giftcards and refund credit, so yay me.

Is the 3D feature crucial to this game or could I get by with a 2DS? 2DS would be a lot cheaper and I really don't care that much about 3D unless it's really necessary.

Tom_Cody

I just skimmed the last two pages and didn't see it mentioned, but I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere in the thread. Yet here it goes.

I'm ready to buy a 3DS And this game soon. I can get it all on the cheap through a combination of Amazon giftcards and refund credit, so yay me.

Is the 3D feature crucial to this game or could I get by with a 2DS? 2DS would be a lot cheaper and I really don't care that much about 3D unless it's really necessary.
This post kind of breaks my heart. I love the 3D feature on the 3DS and its a shame that so many people view it either as an impediment or merely with indifference.

The use of 3D in Link Between Worlds is fantastic and it shows how Nintendo's developers have gotten better at optimizing the implementation of 3D as their time with the system has gone on.

TLDR: No, it is not required but LBW probably has the best 3D on the system and I would personally recommend that you spend the extra money and get an XL.

inky

I just can answer with my own experience. I was in the same predicament as you, and I decided to go for the XL. I only turned the 3D off during 5-10 minutes to see how it looked but promptly turned it back on and played the full game with it on. It's not necessary but I can say my experience with Zelda was better for it. It may not be the same for other games in the future (I find it useless in Pokemon for example), but I don't regret it one bit.

I'd say, if you can go for it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I kinda regret trading my copy of this game in, on another note I managed to get TP with the store credit,

I really loved ALBW, my first Zelda game, I know why I like it as it's compact and you can push through it easily, OoT seems to take a lot longer and well I am kind of impatient, yeah I am barely out the forest in this game, I still think (for now) ALBW is my favourite,

any way on topic.

ALBW has so many great touches and the OST is amazing, mission length is brilliant for on the go gaming, I think I only had to look at a guide properly once or twice , most of the time I found out myself (which is good because usually I suck at exploration games)

I hope they release a follow up to this game, yeah if they have LTTP on 3DS or Wii VC I will get it ..

in short ALBW game of 2013, sorry LM2, dont know if it's easy compared to other zelda but I would sooner or later progress and move forward.

This post kind of breaks my heart. I love the 3D feature on the 3DS and its a shame that so many people view it either as an impediment or merely with indifference.

The use of 3D in Link Between Worlds is fantastic and it shows how Nintendo's developers have gotten better at optimizing the implementation of 3D as their time with the system has gone on.

TLDR: No, it is not required but LBW probably has the best 3D on the system and I would personally recommend that you spend the extra money and get an XL.

I just can answer with my own experience. I was in the same predicament as you, and I decided to go for the XL. I only turned the 3D off during 5-10 minutes to see how it looked but promptly turned it back on and played the full game with it on. It's not necessary but I can say my experience with Zelda was better for it. It may not be the same for other games in the future (I find it useless in Pokemon for example), but I don't regret it one bit.

I'd say, if you can go for it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not opposed to 3D and I've played 3DS's before. I do admittedly like the effect, but 1) it's not something I've ever needed before and 2) I'm basically buying this for one game. The system has a really rich library, but I've never liked portable gaming's small screen sizes, even though the DS and 3DS libraries are much more up my alley than whats on any of the consoles. If you could play 3DS games on a TV or Wii U, I'd be in heaven.

I'll probably spring for the XL, honestly. I'll try to find a 2DS to play this weekend to see what is more comfortable to hold, though.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
curse you Nintendo, I want to experience the same ,awe and wonder I did when playing ALBW, to that end I have now Added Skyward Sword to my collection,

ALBW was really really good, (it broke my Zelda cherry and I have a lot of catching up to do)

sorry for the bad comparison, ohh well rather shameful a 36 year old man acting like an excited child lol, but that's what ALBW did to me, brought me back to the days I would play games for hours and enjoy playing and exploring/discovering the world around me.
it has started an itch and well I want to scratch it more..

Top Bottom