• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

ajjow

Just got in lorule. Im speechless. Pokemon x, zelda and bravely default (what the hell is that demo) ... Man, 3ds is crazy.

n64coder

Continuing to enjoy the game. Finished Dark Palace. Wasted a few hours trying to figure out how to get into Desert Palace area and the Swamp area. Currently in Thieves town and about to do the Thieves Den dungeon. Got 2 of the 7 sages. Probably around 20 hours in.

Played Octorok baseball for 20 mins or so. Highest score was 84.

It would be nice if there was a way to capture game notes. I know you can scribble notes but I'm surprised that you can't type in notes using an on-screen keyboard. It would have been more efficient at space storage. 1 bitmap is equivalent to 1200 unicode characters. It would help me waste less time trying to remember my objectives.

Can't get over at beautiful the graphics are.

Just found out at the end of the game that you can place different coloured pins on the map. Damn. Also beat the game without Pegasus Boots. Damn again.

inky

I beat this yesterday. Close to 20 hours total with all items (including bottles and collectables) and upgrades, and missing only a few heart pieces.

What a magnificent game from top to bottom. The last game I bought for my Wii was SMG 2 or SMBB or something like that, so it has been a while since I had seriously dove into anything Nintendo. I think that made me appreciate this game even more because there really is no one like them. It made my 3DS purchase totally worth it already. A little light on the difficulty, and some puzzles can be brute forced, but nothing deal breaking or even worth mentioning beyond that.

In the end, it makes me wonder what they are thinking with the 3D ones, with all the hand-holding bullshit and irrelevant side-stuff they pad them with. This game has nothing I considered filler or dead weight. It was all pure joy. Well done Nintendo, well fucking done.

This is the most fun I've had with games in years. I really hope it sells well and Nintendo does some other "revisiting" type games like this. A Super Metroid game in the ALBW style would be much appreciated. Same for something like Super Mario 64.

Sagitario

You mean redeem without linking a nin account
If you haven't linked your NNID, you can still switch/change countries and access the Canadian eShop (or any other shop) to redeem your code.
I don't know if the codes are country locked or just region locked, if it's only region locked, you could probably use your Canadian code on the American eShop.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat this last night, but I missed out on getting the
red tunic
... There's no way to just free play after beating the game, is there? It started me back outside the castle and I would have to redo it all over again.

Link to the Past was always my favorite Zelda, but this one is actually swaying me towards being my new #1.

Anteo

Just beat this last night, but I missed out on getting the
red tunic
... There's no way to just free play after beating the game, is there? It started me back outside the castle and I would have to redo it all over again.

Link to the Past was always my favorite Zelda, but this one is actually swaying me towards being my new #1.

You needed to save just after you finishedthe3 dungeon but before gettn to the fight

guek

Banned
Just finished my first game with a 100% playthrough. Clocked in at 21:35 by the end of the game.

What an awesome ride. I honestly did not expect those plot twists at the end, though I suppose
Ravio's identity
should have been seen a mile away. I've read some people saying the conclusion is unsatisfying but it personally exceeded my expectations. The last fight was pretty cool (and I even died once), and everything with
Hilda and how Lorule is eventually saved
was really well done imo.

What a fucking incredible game. Not perfect but I think hero mode will solve the difficulty issue. I didn't think anything would have topped SM3DW as my 2013 GOTY but ALBW takes it easily for me.

Also managed to nab this screen shot during that bitchin scene at the end.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just played it for the first time, at the entrance of the first dungeon. New 3DS xl owner here, and I have a question about the battery life: this game drains my battery crazy fast, is that normal? I played a bit of M3DL yesterday and then this for 1,5 hours and the light was blinking already (about 3 hours of playtime total, tops). Does the 3D affect the battery life that much? If so, I better stop putting that slider at max level. Still sucks that it drains so fast though.

afoni

Banned
3D is either on or off to the battery. Turning down the slider isn't going to do a thing because you're still making the console render two versions of the same image.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
3D is either on or off to the battery. Turning down the slider isn't going to do a thing because you're still making the console render two versions of the same image.

Yeah, gotcha. Just checked my activity log and I had 3 hours of playtime total on one charge. That's underwhelming :/

Finished this last night. It's definitely my GOTY for 2013. I really loved it from start to finish. Got all the Heart pieces, Maiamai and upgraded all my equipment. I loved the ending cut scenes as well.

n64coder

One of my problems is that I can't help but battle/kill most monsters when I should probably just avoid them. For instance, those fire lions (Lynels) that are tough to kill, I will try to kill them but then I just figured out the strategy of just avoiding them.

Another issue of playing the game infrequently is that you forget tips/tricks the game tells you. Today, I just discovered the bell and being able to warp to another weathervane. Jeez, I wished I remembered/used the time saver before.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The music in the game was totally baller.

The maimai song when the singers come in saying "MAI. MAI. MAI MAI MAI." is so great.

Oh dude when Lorule Overworld first kicks in with that kickin acoustic guitar, SO fuckin tight! Oh my god that moment was awesome.

The Ice Ruins theme was really fitting as well. That whole dungeon was awesome.

Man god damn the music in this game was really hot.

One of my problems is that I can't help but battle/kill most monsters when I should probably just avoid them. For instance, those fire lions (Lynels) that are tough to kill, I will try to kill them but then I just figured out the strategy of just avoiding them.

Another issue of playing the game infrequently is that you forget tips/tricks the game tells you. Today, I just discovered the bell and being able to warp to another weathervane. Jeez, I wished I remembered/used the time saver before.

Oh dude forgetting about the fast travel is wild!

That can be a HUGE time saver and almost required for being reasonable in some sections.

Anteo

Oh, so that's why some people is taking +20hours to complete the game.

Anteo

I didn't rent or use the boomerang at all throughout my whole play through. Anyone else do the same?

I'm actually thinking about doing a non boomerang hero run. The boomerang makes hero mode way too easy upgraded or not. But first, I need to finish my current FE run

Ghost23

I'm actually thinking about doing a non boomerang hero run. The boomerang makes hero mode way too easy upgraded or not. But first, I need to finish my current FE run

I didn't upgrade any of my weapons besides the master sword as well. Not because I was trying the challenge myself (I thought the game was actually pretty difficult in spots), but because I forgot to turn in those baby oyster things. It blew my mind whenever I upgraded all of my weapons after the game.

So I got all the maimais, heart pieces, and five bottles. What else is there to collect? I still have three empty spaces in my inventory. Is there anything you get from the unlimited Treacherous Tower?

EDIT: wait, I remember hearing something about upgraded nets and lanterns. What's this all about?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I got all the maimais, heart pieces, and five bottles. What else is there to collect? I still have three empty spaces in my inventory. Is there anything you get from the unlimited Treacherous Tower?

EDIT: wait, I remember hearing something about upgraded nets and lanterns. What's this all about?

You should do the Advanced Treacherous tower.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

You're probably missing the two fruits that you can buy in Kakariko. The third slot will be filled automatically later on.

mantidor

The music is fucking ridiculous.

That second Lorule Overworld theme, I've never felt so pumped in a game in years like this is making me feel.

afoni

Banned

I did my 3 heart hero mode run without the boomerang. The tornado rod is much better.

hongcha

I finished this today, my total play time was 17 hours 29 minutes. A decent game all around, but upon completion I felt a bit let down. It just wasn't very exciting, I guess, and "decent" isn't good enough for a Zelda game IMO. Overall the music was bland or just recycled from other games, the graphics ranged from mediocre to hideous, almost everything was too easy, and having all the major items available near the beginning sucked a lot of the fun out of adventuring. Some of the puzzles were neat and I liked some of the dungeons, but most of the dungeons were far too short. Ocarina of Time 3D is a much, much better Zelda game.

Just beat it. Thoughts, music pretty damn good, dungeons were fun, but the plot was pretty obvious and there is such minimal characterization in the game and the world itself doesn't grab you.

I don't know if it's because I haven't played ALTTP, but I found the overworld strangely stifling. I honestly felt that Link's awakening was the better game, and there isn't enough interaction with the other characters as much as the other Zelda games. I remember there was a thread where ALBW was Zelda was all the fat cut out, but like, meat, some fat marbled in would have been better rather than being way too lean.

Overall still a pretty good game, and a decent Zelda, but I also strongly feel that OOT3D is the better Zelda game overall. 7.7/10

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Tower of Hera's design was fantastic. I hope this trend continues. Surprised item renting lets you get all the staple items. That's pretty cool.

n64coder

The music in the game was totally baller.

Man god damn the music in this game was really hot.

Yeah, the music is great. I really like the song in the swamp palace. Very mesmerizing for me.

Oh dude forgetting about the fast travel is wild!

That can be a HUGE time saver and almost required for being reasonable in some sections.

This is why I need to do a better job with notes. I wish there was a better way to do in game notes then scrawling it with the stylus. Plus, it doesn't help when I put the game down for a week and then resume it. Lately, I've been better about playing it for an hour each day.

This baseball minigame is making me want to snap my 3DS in half. It doesn't help that this is the last heart piece I need.

I love this game but Octoball Derby can go fuck itself with a cucumber.

So what scores have you gotten? I think the key is to keep hitting 3 in a row to make the crow come out. Then hit the crow. Also, it's good to hit the crabs to reset the pots. Putting this into action is a different story though.

DonMigs85

There's a trick to that stupid Octoball Derby, it takes some skill and practice to get the timing right. At least you never have to touch it again after getting the POH

Talon

Octo Derby: I followed this tactic starting on my 3rd try and got in the 80s-120s consistently. The whole point is to make your 3rd hit super easy. Once you think of the pots as three "levels," it's easy to minimize your misses.

Hit three in a row and then hit the crow.

1. Aim for the bottom (Pull Up) and hit as quickly as you can.
2. Aim for the bottom (Pull Up) and hit a split second after 1.
3. Aim for the top (Pull Down) and hit as quickly as you can.
4. Let go (don't pull at all) and hit the crow.
5. Aim for the top (Pull Down) and hit early.
6. Aim for the top (Pull Down) and hit a split second after 5.
7. Aim for the bottom (Pull Down) and hit late.
8. Let go (don't pull at all) and hit the crow.
9. Aim for the middle (don't pull at all) and hit early.
10. Aim for the middle (do't pull at all) and hit a split second after 9.
11. Aim for the top (Pull Down) and hit in the middle.
12. Hit the crow.

Rinse and repeat, just swapping where you hit (Up, middle, Down) and your timing (pulling by hitting early, hitting towards the middle of the field, or going opposite field by hitting late).

Pretty simple game. You just want to chain as many as possible.

n64coder

Octo Derby: I followed this tactic starting on my 3rd try and got in the 80s-120s consistently. The whole point is to make your 3rd hit super easy. Once you think of the pots as three "levels," it's easy to minimize your misses.

So you don't bother trying to hit the crabs to reset the pots?

I'm currently about 30 hours of playtime on the game. I still have 2 more dungeons to complete. Still enjoying the game a lot.

I also enjoy the mini-game Treacherous Towers a lot. Haven't done the advanced level yet but will once I complete the game.

Talon

So you don't bother trying to hit the crabs to reset the pots?

I'm currently about 30 hours of playtime on the game. I still have 2 more dungeons to complete. Still enjoying the game a lot.

I also enjoy the mini-game Treacherous Towers a lot. Haven't done the advanced level yet but will once I complete the game.
I'd only deal with them after my 3rd crow.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

It's not that crazy. It took me 15 minutes total to beat it my first time and the game clock recorded it at about 11 minutes of actually fighting.

You should do it before you beat the game.

n64coder

So has anyone completed the game again in Hero mode? I think I saw someone in this thread saying that they're doing it only with 4 hearts. Is carrying 4-5 bottles with fairies allowed for this challenge?

I'm just curious as to how people are trying to make the game more challenging/difficult. I do agree that most of the bosses were pretty easy (I did have difficulty with 1 of them but most were easy).

So I'm about to enter what I assume to be the final dungeon. Can anyone let me know if I've got 100% so far?

I have:
Every heart piece
5 bottles
Every item upgrade (including net + lantern)
Every Maiamai
Level 3 Master Sword
Hylian Shield
Blue Mail

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I'm about to enter what I assume to be the final dungeon. Can anyone let me know if I've got 100% so far?

I have:
Every heart piece
5 bottles
Every item upgrade (including net + lantern)
Every Maiamai
Level 3 Master Sword
Hylian Shield
Blue Mail

Did you get the
stamina upgrade
?

Top Bottom