• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

peakish

curse you Nintendo, I want to experience the same ,awe and wonder I did when playing ALBW, to that end I have now Added Skyward Sword to my collection,

ALBW was really really good, (it broke my Zelda cherry and I have a lot of catching up to do)

sorry for the bad comparison, ohh well rather shameful a 36 year old man acting like an excited child lol, but that's what ALBW did to me, brought me back to the days I would play games for hours and enjoy playing and exploring/discovering the world around me.
it has started an itch and well I want to scratch it more..
Haha, it's great to see someone enthusiastic :) Prepare for something completely different in Skyward Sword though, it's not made from the same mold. I'm a very big fan of it personally but saying that it's divisive is putting it mildly. One thing shared between them both is that the dungeons are terrific.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Haha, it's great to see someone enthusiastic :) Prepare for something completely different in Skyward Sword though, it's not made from the same mold. I'm a very big fan of it personally but saying that it's divisive is putting it mildly. One thing shared between them both is that the dungeons are terrific.

I am like a kid at times lol,

so my list of Zelda Games I have to go through stand as this

OoT 3DS
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
4 Swords
Minish cap

then if I am not Zelda'ed out
Zelda and maybe Zelda II

then waiting for MM 3DS

ohh well rather shameful a 36 year old man acting like an excited child lol, but that's what ALBW did to me, brought me back to the days I would play games for hours and enjoy playing and exploring/discovering the world around me.
it has started an itch and well I want to scratch it more..
Nothing shameful about that my man. Same for me. I'm 32 and I'd count LTTP and OOT amongst the best games I've ever played, and although I enjoyed them in parts the other Zelda games never quite lived up to expectations. I put that down in part to my age and evolving tastes.

After completing ALBW recently I realise now that assumption was wrong; this is what a Zelda game should be. Shorn of the fat and free from gimmicky control schemes. A world you actually want to explore and dungeons that are actually fun. As you did I felt like I was a kid again playing LTTP for the first time.

In fact this may even be the better game. I don't know.

I do hope Nintendo revisit the LTTP template though, I think it has a lot more to give.

Finished this game over the weekend and I can safely say it's one of my favorite games ever. Notably, it's the first Zelda I've finished. I've played substantial amounts of several games in the series over the past 25 years, but something about this game's pacing kept me going. I'm sad that it's over.

I'd love to see a sequel (endgame spoilers)
set in Lorule, starring Ravio.

Moff

I'd love to see a sequel (endgame spoilers)
set in Lorule, starring Ravio.

thats actually quite a good idea for dlc. I'm usually not a fan of dlc, but replaying the game
as ravio, starting in lorule, maybe some minor changes to the dungeons and the overworld, maybe a main weapon that feels differently, and I'd definitely be up for it

Anteo

When i beat the final boss will i be able to go back for collectibles?

Yeah, the game wont save after you beat the boss, so you will go back to whatever save you had before. Remeber to save often, so oyu dont have to do the whole dungeon again if you want a rematch with the boss

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I'm about two or three dungeons into the Dark World now. I love so much of what I'm playing, I like the dungeon design, the characters are charming, the items are fun to use (no reason to have the boomerang at all though).

My biggest complaint is that I don't see the point of this game being set in LTTP's Hyrule. I mean it's cool to see it recreated in polygons, but I would've wanted more changes to the world itself to feel like time had passed, I guess. An outpost here or there, or some expanded parts. The cleared out trees between the castle and the blacksmith feel like the only real alteration. Either that, or just a new world entirely with similar sensibilities to its design.

That's honestly a minor thing though. Thus far, it's an excellent game and I hope aspects of thing really inform Zelda U's development.

EDIT: I should say Lorule, not the Dark World...

EBE

Beat the game a few days ago. It was cool. Im not a big Zelda fan but i found it to be a fun adventure. Took about 20 something hours to find and complete everything. Gotta go back and play it through on Hero Mode.

maxcriden

I just skimmed the last two pages and didn't see it mentioned, but I'm sure this has been asked elsewhere in the thread. Yet here it goes.

I'm ready to buy a 3DS And this game soon. I can get it all on the cheap through a combination of Amazon giftcards and refund credit, so yay me.

Is the 3D feature crucial to this game or could I get by with a 2DS? 2DS would be a lot cheaper and I really don't care that much about 3D unless it's really necessary.

Personally 3D is neat but it gives me a headache. If you don't care about it, I would go for an OG 3DS or a 3DS, depending on which you like better. Personally I prefer the overall size, screen size, and pixel density on the 2DS/3DS vs. 3DS XL.

I am like a kid at times lol,

so my list of Zelda Games I have to go through stand as this

OoT 3DS
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
4 Swords
Minish cap

then if I am not Zelda'ed out
Zelda and maybe Zelda II

then waiting for MM 3DS

Don't forget Link's Awakening or the Oracle games. Some people really like the DS iterations as well. And, don't forget Wind Waker or Wind Waker HD! (BTW, I am selling my USA copies of GCN TP and WW, if you're interested feel free to PM me.)

Anteo

How do I get more bottles? Also what do I do with fairies?

You need to find them in the overworld. You can put fairies on the bottles(you need a net for that) and thye will save you from dying by healing you before the game over happens (so you will see a "defeated" animation, and get some hearts back)

Frost_Ace

You need to find them in the overworld. You can put fairies on the bottles(you need a net for that) and thye will save you from dying by healing you before the game over happens (so you will see a "defeated" animation, and get some hearts back)
I see, thanks.

mstevens

I'm *finally* about to start this game. It has been sitting on my shelf since Christmas, but a combination of just coming off of 40 hours with Wind Waker (my first time through that) and the PS4 launch, I decided to wait before I started this up. I was kinda hoping that Nintendo would launch ALTTP sometime soon so I could play through that again before I play ALBW, but this will have to do.

Zing

Banned
I finished the game last week. I ended with 18.6 hearts and 3 deaths. I don't actually recall truly dying, so maybe it counts the times a fairy revived me.

Anteo

I finished the game last week. I ended with 18.6 hearts and 3 deaths. I don't actually recall truly dying, so maybe it counts the times a fairy revived me.

Pretty sure it doesnt. Got 0 deaths on my hero run and I got revived from 1-hit ko's a few times

cube444

link_and_hilda_blink_by_zeepla-d73slkr.gif

Oxx

I'm slowly inching towards the finish line. I think I could probably head to the end-game, but I'm just running around the world grabbing as many Mai Mais as I can find.

Up to 80-something. Not sure if I'll catch em all.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I'm right at the Lorule castle and I've spent hours trying to find the Pegasus Boots to no avail. Can someone give me a tiny hint without giving too much away?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm right at the Lorule castle and I've spent hours trying to find the Pegasus Boots to no avail. Can someone give me a tiny hint without giving too much away?

tiny spoiler
They're in the light world.

small spoiler
They're in Kakariko Village

bigger spoiler
Getting them has to do with the guy who runs away from you. Somebody nearby might give you a hint.

completely spoiled
Merge onto the wall and pop out behind the thief and he'll give them to you

Guru-Guru

Banned
After finishing Link Between Worlds I decided to play Skyward Sword (beat it) and Twilight Princess (partway through). The amount of padding, mostly taking the form of boring fetch-quests and backtracking, that the latter two games have is kind of ridiculous. I hope that the next 3D Zelda takes cues from Link Between Worlds and cuts out a lot of that unnecessary crap...

KHlover

Banned
Yeah, I could probably ge there in the end.

I'm guessing there's no extra reward for getting them all? Just a warm feeling inside.
There is. Giant Spin Attack, aka How to kill everything on the screen in one hit, bosses in two.

1. Where/how do I get the speedy shoes (forgot the name)?

2. Where/how do I get the gloves that let you pick up the big boulders?

3. What do I do in the opening room of the Dark Palace? When you hit the orb, the platform moves across too fast, leaving you no time to get onto it to go across. It's got me stumped. I got a feeling I'm missing something.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

3. What do I do in the opening room of the Dark Palace? When you hit the orb, the platform moves across too fast, leaving you no time to get onto it to go across. It's got me stumped. I got a feeling I'm missing something.

1.See my post above with the spoiler tags.

2.You'll get them in a dungeon.
Desert Palace

3.Bombs ;)

Finished the game in 12 hours. It was amazing, but wow. Don't think i've ever had such a quick first playthrough in a zelda game. Granted, I never found the
boots
(ended up checking out the equipment on a wiki after i finished.) and i was like 4 heart containers short of a full set, and I only had 3 bottles.

I really hope they find some meaningful way to extend the next few games. Hero Mode looks fun, but unless they remix all the dungeons or add some more stuff, It'll probably be another short clear.

Tom_Cody

This was mostly answered already but I'll add a few more hints.

The Desert Palace. You need to complete the Thieves' Hideout dungeon before you can access that area of the map though.

I don't recall this area that specifically but keep in mind that the Dark Palace is called the Dark Palace for a reason.

Tom_Cody

Finished the game in 12 hours. It was amazing, but wow. Don't think i've ever had such a quick first playthrough in a zelda game. Granted, I never found the
boots
(ended up checking out the equipment on a wiki after i finished.) and i was like 4 heart containers short of a full set, and I only had 3 bottles.

I really hope they find some meaningful way to extend the next few games. Hero Mode looks fun, but unless they remix all the dungeons or add some more stuff, It'll probably be another short clear.
Trying to 100% normal mode will add a bit of time and it is also completely fulfilling. I have never not 100%ed Zelda games though, so it is a little strange for me to imagine getting to the end and just leaving it like that.

Also, Hero mode is really well balanced. This is the first Zelda that I have immediately replayed and I definitely don't regret it.

1.See my post above with the spoiler tags.

2.You'll get them in a dungeon.
Desert Palace

3.Bombs ;)

This was mostly answered already but I'll add a few more hints.

The Desert Palace. You need to complete the Thieves' Hideout dungeon before you can access that area of the map though.

I don't recall this area that specifically but keep in mind that the Dark Palace is called the Dark Palace for a reason.

Thanks for the tips. :)

Oxx

Woo, I saved all the Mai Mai.

Now I can head to the end. How long is the last section?

Edit: Finished! Perfect ending to a terrific game.

Took me 25 hours. Total Slowpoke.

jaxword

What an incredible game.

Nintendo did a great job. Earns the title of game of the year.

Only drawback is how short it is, they could've done even more with the world as they had a billion times more space than LTTP's cartridge and could've fleshed out more little details to make the world breath and live more.

Griss

Well, the people in this thread convinced me to buy this game for Christmas despite hating LttP, so I thought I'd come back and give my opinion.

I really liked it. I was miles better than LttP, and all of my worries in that regard were unfounded. More than anything else it was the different way that Link moved through the world, and the heftier, more solid feel to interactions with objects and in combat that made this game such a jump over LttP.

The soundtrack was probably the standout part of the game for me. The dark world theme and some of the dungeon themes were amazing. And the wall shifting, which looked terrible in videos, ended up being a tremendously fun mechanic.

The game looked far better in 3D than in videos, but I'd still maintain that the art style is just rubbish. Still a huge improvement over the spritework of LttP, mind. The game was practically built for 3D as you're looking at a mini-diorama in every scene with a fixed camera. The sense of depth was great, and the levels really used it, especially the cliffs on the overworld and the multi-layered dungeons. And that 60fps smoothness made a huge difference.

Despite all of that, though, it was not in my top 10 games of the year and probably wouldn't make my top 8 Zeldas either. It was just too bland, easy and short to be truly memorable to me. There were no new items and the rental system as a core gameplay design fell utterly flat to me, and took a lot of fun out of the game. On my hard run play-through I had to limit myself to one item at a time in order to feel in any way challenged.

I felt like a lot of the Zelda whimsy and charm was missing. The world did not feel as interesting or alive as any of the 3D Zeldas, or even Link's Awakening, the gold standard in portable Zeldas. They just felt like levels, really. And worst of all I'd seen most of this world before. I was revisiting rather than exploring. The sense of the new was reserved solely for dungeons, which were short and not particularly challenging/involving. That, to me, is not what Zelda is about.

Yes, the game is wonderfully streamlined, but it was almost too streamlined. The start of Skyward Sword is tremendously slow, but it was charming and gave the rest of the game an appropriate sense of character and place. That was missing here. The antagonists were terrible; the story largely non-existent, side characters given three lines of dialogue maximum. I couldn't remember a single one of them now if you asked me. Add that to the general lack of atmosphere / world building and complete lack of any gameplay surprises in dungeons or regarding items and you have a game that simply wasn't memorable at all.

That said, it was well put together and enjoyable while playing it, and I'm glad I was recommended it. Thanks.

Albo

Wow, only just realised this thread was moved to the community section.

So I've nearly finished my 7 heart hero mode run, but I severely underestimated how fucking brutal this was going to be, even with my fully upgraded master sword. Constant one hit kills from many standard lorule enemies who do 7 hearts of damage. One minor mistake or misstep and I'm dead, fairies and all so I have to give it full concentration. Don't even get me started on how much damage bosses do! I've lost count of the number of times I've died and dreading to see my kill counter in the end. Maybe I shouldn't have left those heart pieces behind haha. Even if I had all 20 hearts I would still imagine it to be a challenge. I like how I have to play more strategically in this hero mode playthrough using all items and shield as opposed to usually just messing about slashing wildy in my initial playthrough.

Just finished the game with all hearts, all bottles, all items, all maiamais, maxed out rupees and monster parts too.

It was a wonderful ride and now I'm a little sad that it's over. I might let it lie fallow for a little while before I try hero mode.

I do have some questions though:

Streetpass - Is there any reward for getting all the achievements? Also, I keep running into someone named "Vale" without a corresponding Mii Plaza hit, which makes me think that these aren't real hits but somehow randomly generated.

Do the Red Clothes exist in this game?

Is there anything else about Hero Mode that's different other than enemies doing more damage?

Anteo

Just finished the game with all hearts, all bottles, all items, all maiamais, maxed out rupees and monster parts too.

It was a wonderful ride and now I'm a little sad that it's over. I might let it lie fallow for a little while before I try hero mode.

I do have some questions though:

Streetpass - Is there any reward for getting all the achievements? Also, I keep running into someone named "Vale" without a corresponding Mii Plaza hit, which makes me think that these aren't real hits but somehow randomly generated.

Do the Red Clothes exist in this game?

Is there anything else about Hero Mode that's different other than enemies doing more damage?

Red Clothes do exist.
For Hero Mode: There is a book that wasnt there in Ravio's house and the very last scene of the credits is a little bit different but that's it

Tygamr

So I just finished this. Solid game through and through, but I can't help but feel disappointed in it. My issues with it are:
-dungeons are too easy, bosses are very easy
-dungeons are mostly boring after the first few; same thing over and over
-combat is extremely easy, you'll rarely die if ever
-it's incredibly easy to get rupees. After the first dungeon, you're able to get pretty much every item
-story is interesting, but bland and not very present at all. Is only present in the beginning and at the very end, with the middle serving as boring chore time. Yuga is barely present and is a missed opportunity
-exploration is kind of eh. World isn't too interesting
-world is based off of ALttP's, but is nearly identical with very few changes
-collectibles are incredibly easy to find without even trying

Honestly, it's a good game, but definitely not among my favorite Zeldas. I enjoyed Skyward Sword a lot more than I enjoyed this game. If we keep it to handheld games strictly, I'd put Phantom Hourglass above it (but not Spirit Tracks- probably my least favorite Zelda game). Definitely doesn't even hold a candle to ALttP in my opinion. I can safely say that Minish Cap is still my favorite handheld Zelda.

It is one of, if not the best showcases of 3D on the 3DS though.

n64coder

I'm slowly inching towards the finish line. I think I could probably head to the end-game, but I'm just running around the world grabbing as many Mai Mais as I can find.

Up to 80-something. Not sure if I'll catch em all.

I'm around 83 and I've been working the last 3-4 hours to collect all of them. The map showing remaining Maimais helps but I'm still trying to figure out the cry. Are they supposed to cry when you're standing next to them? Or only when you enter a screen containing one?

The cry hasn't really helped me locate them quicker. I just make sure I lift all the rocks and ram all the trees trying to flush it out.

Please help, ZeldaGAF.

I bought ALBW on day one. I booted it up and watched the intro and title screen. Looked cool, especially in 3D... except I haven't touched it since because I then bought my first tablet, an iPad Air. It has been dominating my "mobile" gaming time.

I need some motivation to start this game. Why is it so good? I've been a Zelda fan since the original, only disliking one game, Skyward Sword, since then.

Anteo

Please help, ZeldaGAF.

I bought ALBW on day one. I booted it up and watched the intro and title screen. Looked cool, especially in 3D... except I haven't touched it since because I then bought my first tablet, an iPad Air. It has been dominating my "mobile" gaming time.

I need some motivation to start this game. Why is it so good? I've been a Zelda fan since the original, only disliking one game, Skyward Sword, since then.

Because it is the anti skyward sword

Top Bottom