• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Madouu

Ah, I'm guessing that the circle platform in the lava room with the fire-breathing chimera fellows has three platforms moving from it, not just two?

Yup, that's the one you probably missed. The jumps are pretty tricky to time correctly, luckily the game doesn't punish you much for that, I fell to my "death" so many times there.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The worst part of that isn't falling into the lava, it's spawning back on the platform near the Chimera dudes who, at that point in the game (likely you'll explore it just around your second Dungeon or so), can kill you pretty quickly.

Also, is there any reference to the infamous Chris Houlihan room anywhere?

Two more Lorule dungeons left. (
Skull Woods and Ice Ruins
) Just completed the
Dark Palace
, treasure was fiendishly well hidden, almost unfairly. Almost. Three heart pieces and seven Maimai children left too. Game is awesome.

Xane

Didn't had much time the past two days, but here's what I could do today. ><

Q9TCjne.jpg

Hyrule Overworld #1
Hyrule Overworld #2
Hyrule Overworld #3
Lorule Castle Theme

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
So, erm, this probably isn't really part of the main game, but I'm stuck in the cave by the river behind the graveyard. There's a large room with a lot of floating platforms and a treasure chest in the centre. There's a treasure hunter who says "Now, how's all this going to work?".

I get as far as slashing the two orbs and pressing the button, but I'm at a loss what to do next.

georly

Knowing how Zelda and Aonuma does things, I'm gonna bet it is going to be Link from ALTTP got it through his travels and brought it back with him and then passed it down.

Wouldn't that be an awesome game? Either a link to the past style game set in termina, or an ocarina/majora style game starring a veteran link (he's been in the most zelda games, afterall), finding the mask, bringing it back to hyrule, chaos ensues.

KHlover

Banned
Hey, I think I found some time saving potential in the Swamp Temple. The Master Key is in the first big room, surrounded by flames on a swimming platform in the middle of the room. You can actually climb up the platform and extinguish the flames with the Tornado Rod, enabling you to take it as soon as you enter the temple. Cuts off what I guess to be ~2-3min at the end, since you don't have to change the water level again.

Xane

Hey, I think I found some time saving potential in the Swamp Temple. The Master Key is in the first big room, surrounded by flames on a swimming platform in the middle of the room. You can actually climb up the platform and extinguish the flames with the Tornado Rod, enabling you to take it as soon as you enter the temple. Cuts off what I guess to be ~2-3min at the end, since you don't have to change the water level again.

That's what I did. Just with the Ice Rod instead. xP

Moff

I didnt even realize I took a shortcut with this

Jobbs

Banned
Every time you walk away from an encounter and *dont'* have some fairy or sidekick pop up and tell you what just happened and what to do next -- Is novel.

I realize this is a throwback to LTTP, but do you guys think ALBW would have been the same if Dark Souls never existed?

Something I've been thinking about.

andymcc

Banned
but do you guys think ALBW would have been the same if Dark Souls never existed?

has Aonuma or someone else on staff been cited as being influenced by Dark Souls or is this one of those other instances where everyone compares every game without elements of hand-holding to Dark Souls?

i'd wager dark souls had little influence.

Jarate

Banned
Just finished the game

A little to short for my taste, but it was a fun ride. Great game, probably the best handheld zelda game ever made

Sendou

I realize this is a throwback to LTTP, but do you guys think ALBW would have been the same if Dark Souls never existed?

Pretty much yeah. Still I'm glad to see Aonuma's "maybe too much tutorials is a bad thing?" talk wasn't just all for nothing

Jobbs

Banned
90% Of Jobbs posts concern Dark Souls

The other 10% is Metroid

People have said worse things about me. :)

If it makes you feel better, ALBW is one of three games to come out in the last decade I'd definitely give a 10/10 to, were I to review it. (The other two being Dark Souls and The Last of Us)

neoism

So after finishing ALBW, I need more Zelda!

I still have OoT: MQ and WW and a plugged in Gamecube. I don't really feel like getting OoT3D or WWHD, convince me that I'm not missing out on much!

Yeah I now this will happen with me as well.. I will beat it on hero right after though ..
but......

WHY NINTENDO WHY... :*( please release LTTP GBA version on 3ds..
:(

neoism

What the fuck? I had two streetpass hits today and managed to find one of the challenges. The other however states "under the apple tree". What apple tree? Where?

real shame I have no access to streetpass battles.. I live in nowheresvill :( Is their a site to trick it or something.. :/

Moff

real shame I have no access to streetpass battles.. I live in nowheresvill :( Is their a site to trick it or something.. :/

I never took my 3DS outside my home since I got the game and I had 4 or 5 streetpass battles. so they are either randomly generated NPCs or it somehoe works via wifi, I dont know. but I certainly didnt get them via passing other owners on the street.

Rich!

You know, Considering that ALBW is set hundreds of years after LTTP, I was expecting Lorule to turn out to be the Dark World only left to it's own devices after LTTP.

Obviously it wasn't, and I guess the Dark World disappeared as soon as Link got the triforce in LTTP anyway. Ah well.

neoism

I never took my 3DS outside my home since I got the game and I had 4 or 5 streetpass battles. so they are either randomly generated NPCs or it somehoe works via wifi, I dont know. but I certainly didnt get them via passing other owners on the street.

wow really I haven't even tried thanks

BY2K

Membero Americo
Jesus Christ that Baseball mini-game. I get the stance, but my mind is full of fuck when I try to understand the timing.

Xane

Jesus Christ that Baseball mini-game. I get the stance, but my mind is full of fuck when I try to understand the timing.

I was under the impression for it to be completely random where the ball lands in a controlled layer. :x

Joqu

Octoball Derby is the worst mini game ever.

Don't bother aiming for the 5 rupee vases. Seriously. Just be sure to get three hits in a row, then aim for the crow. Repeat. Try to hit a crab when it's getting to hard to hit the vases.

I hate that mini-game. :L

KHlover

Banned
I didnt even realize I took a shortcut with this
From what I've seen there is a mechanism to change the water level in the main room which is only accessible on the highest water level (water level 3).

The last step (using our shortcut) before entering the Boss Room was rising the water level in E, which extinguished the flames around the chest.

My guess on how it would have looked like without shortcut:
(-> Enter Temple)
(-> Do dungeon)
-> Rise water level on E to 3 (our last step)
-> Enter main room
-> Use mechanism only usable on Water Level 3 to bring Water Level down to 2 again
-> Grab Master Key
-> Run through the entire temple again to rise the Water Level on E to 3 again
-> Enter Boss Room

With shortcut:

(-> Enter Temple)
-> Use Tornado/Ice Rod to get Master Key
(->Do dungeon)
-> Rise water level on E to 3
-> Enter Boss Room

Basically we skipped Step 5-8

KHlover

Banned
I did the same thing since that's the technique taught in another dungeon.
I think most players did, but since the dungeons are supposed to be beaten with the Dungeon Item only it technically would still be a shortcut, no matter how many people take it :D

Neiteio

You know, Considering that ALBW is set hundreds of years after LTTP, I was expecting Lorule to turn out to be the Dark World only left to it's own devices after LTTP.

Obviously it wasn't, and I guess the Dark World disappeared as soon as Link got the triforce in LTTP anyway. Ah well.
Perhaps Lorule's Dark World would look like Hyrule's Light World?

All I know is Hilda is a good case for Zelda dying her hair. Dat black.

Just finished this tonight. What an incredible game. It's probably nostalgia but I think this is the most I have enjoyed a Zelda title since A Link to the Past. I love being in this world again.

tf9JlaAl.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The Dark World was just the Sacred Realm corrupted and Link fixed it with his Triforce wish hence the background during the credits going from red skies to blue.

Of course Lorule references aLttP's Dark World a lot. Obviously the whole map is based on it, but small details like the masks bearing the faces of some of the Dark World's NPCs and
Ravio, Link's Lorule form, donning a rabbit costume

Madouu

I was under the impression for it to be completely random where the ball lands in a controlled layer. :x

A few posters explained it earlier on in the thread, it's not that hard once you understand the technique but it still could takes a few tries to get 100 rupees. It took me 4 tries I think.

The earlier you hit the ball, the further it goes to the right and the later you hit it the further it goes to the left. For stances, down on the circle pad sends the ball flying while holding up will do the opposite. General technique is aim for the golden pots, hit the bird when it shows up by holding the pad at a neutral position and aiming for the center (those give +20 coins) and respawning the pots once in a while by hitting the crabs or whatever they are.

I just beat the
Desert Palace
, holy shit was the music for that dungeon awesome. I can't believe I am loving this game so much, i don't want it to end. Bought all the weapons from Ravio and I'm still looking for all Maimais.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Anybody else noticed that the Thief Girl has the exact same hair color as Impa? And... you know, is a THIEF?

Neiteio

Are there Maiamais in the dungeons? I may have to revisit a couple early ones.

The lil' guys are so cute, but it's kind of maddening when you hear them chirping and can't figure out where they are, lol.

Speaking of which, I hear one by the cucco lady's house in southwest Kakariko Village. Not the lady with the dodging minigame, but the one who stands inside her house and laments people messing with her birds.

There's a Maiamai somewhere around there... but where!

BY2K

Membero Americo

The lil' guys are so cute, but it's kind of maddening when you hear them chirping and can't figure out where they are, lol.

Speaking of which, I hear one by the cucco lady's house in southwest Kakariko Village. Not the lady with the dodging minigame, but the one who stands inside her house and laments people messing with her birds.

Get a cucco get to higher ground and fly on top of that ladies' house. It's under the rock you see on her roof.

EDIT: Maybe I'm thinking about the wrong one...

Started the game yesterday and really loving it.

No need to say what's already been said.

Finished the
Eastern Palace
and started exploring to collect a lot of major items (including the
Pegasus Boots
).

Love the fact you can rent practically every item and keep it (as long as you don't die).

Now for the other two dungeons.

Really thought Yuga was a woman.

KHlover

Banned

I also haven't got it yet, but 1000 rupees say you'll have to use the Sand Rod in her Sand Pit to get it XD

Top Bottom