• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Kard8p3

I've got to wait till christmas to play this game so in the meantime I've been listening to some of the music. The music I'm hearing sounds amazing but it's confusing me a bit because I can't tell if it's really high quality midi music or orchestrated. Do we know for sure which it is?

Rich!

I've got to wait till christmas to play this game so in the meantime I've been listening to some of the music. The music I'm hearing sounds amazing but it's confusing me a bit because I can't tell if it's really high quality midi music or orchestrated. Do we know for sure which it is?

Mix of both.

BY2K

Membero Americo

The big ones are orchestrated. Some of the smaller, less important music are midi, some are a mix of both.

Maybe I have just grown terrible at video games but I'm finding this game quite challenging. I still haven't completed the first dungeon in Lorule after about 11 hours or so in to the game. I'm at Turtle Rock and man I'm having a hell of a time nagivating to find the master key to get to the boss. This game is really making me feel old because when I was a bit younger I wasn't having as much troubles getting through Zelda games lol.

-Digits-

Just found a deal for the limited edition Zelda 3ds xl bundle for 205 euros at a local retailer. Here's to hoping they have it in stock when I go to the store tomorrow after work!

Kazerei

Banned
Are there Maiamais in the dungeons? I may have to revisit a couple early ones.

The lil' guys are so cute, but it's kind of maddening when you hear them chirping and can't figure out where they are, lol.

Speaking of which, I hear one by the cucco lady's house in southwest Kakariko Village. Not the lady with the dodging minigame, but the one who stands inside her house and laments people messing with her birds.

There's a Maiamai somewhere around there... but where!

There's no maimais in the real major dungeons, but you'll find some in caves

ramyeon

Are there Maiamais in the dungeons? I may have to revisit a couple early ones.

The lil' guys are so cute, but it's kind of maddening when you hear them chirping and can't figure out where they are, lol.

Speaking of which, I hear one by the cucco lady's house in southwest Kakariko Village. Not the lady with the dodging minigame, but the one who stands inside her house and laments people messing with her birds.

There's a Maiamai somewhere around there... but where!
None in dungeons, thankfully.

If my memory serves me correctly
you need the Sand Rod to get that one.

JeTmAn81

Maybe I have just grown terrible at video games but I'm finding this game quite challenging. I still haven't completed the first dungeon in Lorule after about 11 hours or so in to the game. I'm at Turtle Rock and man I'm having a hell of a time nagivating to find the master key to get to the boss. This game is really making me feel old because when I was a bit younger I wasn't having as much troubles getting through Zelda games lol.

Sorry sir, you're going to have to continue to age without me. I just reached the final dungeon with just over 13 hours on the clock.

Have you tried the hint glasses? I used them a few times.

None in dungeons, thankfully.

If my memory serves me correctly
you need the Sand Rod to get that one.

I suppose it doesn't count as a dungeon, but the
Metal Gear Zelda area leading up to the Dark Palace
has at least one.

Rich!

Oh ok no wonder it was confusing me. I must've been going back and forth from orchestrated to midi tracks. Anyway thanks guys.

It's like Mario Galaxy - some tracks sound just like live orchestra, but they aren't. Others are pure synth, some are full orchestra and some are a mix of both.

pariah164

I missed 10 Maiamais my first time through. There were some I just could NOT find, and I was so close to endgame I pretty much went 'screw it'.

ramyeon

I missed 10 Maiamais my first time through. There were some I just could NOT find, and I was so close to endgame I pretty much went 'screw it'.
I made a point of getting them all before I finished this time because although I've played every Zelda to date this was the first collectable side quest I ever completed haha.

Sorry sir, you're going to have to continue to age without me. I just reached the final dungeon with just over 13 hours on the clock.

Have you tried the hint glasses? I used them a few times.

I refuse too :( I feel like I am cheating using them though I did see at the psychic that I may have to in a certain part of the game?

jyoung188

Picked this game up last night, played it until my battery was flashing red. Started it today and did the same again from a full charge, it's so fucking good.

JeTmAn81

A lot of the music skirts the line between very good-sounding synth and actual recorded instrument. I think the musicians in the milk bar are probably a recording of real instruments. But whenever I pay attention to the music it sounds like synth to me. But really nice patches.

That's my ultimate goal. I'm trying to find all 100 of the Maiamai's but first I just want to complete one dungeon of Lorule. It's quite humiliating that I haven't even completed one dungeon yet and I've spent 11 hours lol.

That's why it takes you so long. I only have 50-something Maiamai's. There are a lot of opportunities to collect them on your way to various dungeons, though.

Well I'm not one to fret over midi so often it pass right over me but I'm just going by what I've read. Of course that source could have very well been mistaken.

I mean I think it would be awesome if it's real but it just sounds way too perfect, unlike the flute which is just obviously real.

How long is this game compared to other Zeldas such as Ocarina, LTTP, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword?

It's more comparable to OOT. It's kinda unfair to compare it to 3D Zeldas since it's a totally different playstyle. You move around a lot faster and gameplay is generally smoother in this one too.

wrowa

So, is there a bonus for completing hero mode? Or is
Ravio's diary
the only additional content the mode has to offer?

So far it's certainly the best top-down Zelda since LttP, and a good deal more fun to play than LttP. The dungeons certainly top Link's Awakening, but LA is still my favorite overall.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Where does this one rank compared to the other Zeldas?

I'd easily say it's my favorite handheld Zelda of all time. In general terms it's up there with OOT and TWW for me. At this point I'd probably lean towards saying it's slightly BETTER than ALTTP.

In terms of top down Zeldas, it's really hard to rank it. At least right now. ALttP, Link's Awakening, and Minish Cap definitely outrank it. The original Zelda possibly, and Ages maybe. I could see it landing smack-dab between Zelda 1 and Ages.

In terms of top down Zeldas, it's really hard to rank it. At least right now. ALttP, Link's Awakening, and Minish Cap definitely outrank it.

I will never understand the praise for Minish Cap, having only played it two years back. Not bad by any terms, but very middling. Incredibly short with boring dungeons. ALBW is more exciting in it's first few hours. The wall mechanic of ALBW is much more fused to the core gameplay than MC's shrinking thing too.

I have finished 5 dungeons so far, so a little over halfway done, all have been great. So far there is a consistent quality to all the dungeons, each are well made with its own interesting theme and gameplay mechanic to go with it. That said none really push the boundaries of a zelda dungeon. Spirit Tracks I feel had the best dungeons in years for a Zelda game, that game used items in unique ways and had puzzles that really made you think. This game is like a Zelda's greatest hits, a love letter to the core zelda gameplay of old. Its excellent but it isn't going to make it to the top of my favorite zeldas list so far.

Part of that has to do with me being a super Zelda fan so I know every trick they use and this game is basically a bunch of old tricks mixed with the wall mechanic. I think if you have taken time off from the series this has the potential to blow you away. I also hear how ALBW is great cause it removes a lot of the tediousness and hand holding. I understand the last few zelda's have had components that rubbed people the wrong way, SS with its odd world design that lead to some backtracking as well as motion controls that are not for everyone. Spirit Tracks with its poor train system. Phantom Hourglass for just being meh all around. Twilight Princess for taking 10 hours to really get going. I guess for many those could vastly mess with your enjoyment of the game but I can tolerate a few issues if it gives me gameplay that blows me away. ALBW doesn't have any issue that hurts it, it is very consistent but I don't think it does anything to blow me away. Honestly I will take true experimentation, warts and all, if its going to really wow me.

That said I wouldn't change ALBW, I think at this point we needed a very traditional Zelda to remind those that have wandered away from the series why this series is legendary. It is pure fun, easily the best portable game of the year, one of the top 5 games I have played this year. I still have another half of the game to go so who knows maybe it does blow me away but I think I got a good understanding of how the rest will play out. This is not a negative post about ALBW, I love it, it's simply me coming to terms with what this game is to me. For others it maybe exactly what this series needed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of top down Zeldas, it's really hard to rank it. At least right now. ALttP, Link's Awakening, and Minish Cap definitely outrank it. The original Zelda possibly, and Ages maybe. I could see it landing smack-dab between Zelda 1 and Ages.
I still have a few dungeons to go, but it easily beats Minish Cap and Ages for me. I'd probably place it in third after LTTP and Link's Awakening.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Call me nuts, but other than the fact that ALTTP was new and created this world I think ALBW does this world BETTER in just about every way compared to it's predecessor.

Neiteio

MiamiWesker, I read your post (in its original location, although I don't blame you for moving it, lol), and it was well-reasoned. I'm definitely one of the people who have been away from the series for a while, so perhaps ALBW is making more of an impact because I had grown so disenchanted with Zelda. It took pure distilled gameplay to bring me back. But I think that is grounds to rank it above numerous recent titles, for my tastes anyways. Pacing is paramount in a game such as this, and ALBW is the first Zelda in a good while to really get that. It's probably in my Top Three Favorite Zeldas, which would be some combination of ALBW, Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening. :)

I will never understand the praise for Minish Cap, having only played it two years back. Not bad by any terms, but very middling. Incredibly short with boring dungeons. ALBW is more exciting in it's first few hours. The wall mechanic of ALBW is much more fused to the core gameplay than MC's shrinking thing too.

MC didn't have just shrinking though; it had a lot of ways to explore areas. Gust Jar allowed you to clear gaps and reach new areas; Mole Mitts allowed you to dig into caves; Kinstone fusion changed the environment at times; heck, Link even had the ability to fly with his hat by entering tornadoes. I would also not characterize it as incredibly short. Perhaps compared to a 3D Zelda, but in general most 2D Zeldas are about the same length. The dungeons are also only really (relatively) boring in the first half, while the second half has a ton of great dungeons. I would dare say that Minish Cap's later dungeons rival those of this game's. One problem I have with this game is that in terms of exploration, they focus too much on the wall gimmick as opposed to using a bunch of different items (like Minish Cap did.

Call me nuts, but other than the fact that ALTTP was new and created this world I think ALBW does this world BETTER in just about every way compared to it's predecessor.

I can understand your reasoning, though I don't especially agree. I felt that ALttP (at least as far in as I am in) had a more interesting overworld and in a lot of ways stronger atmosphere. It also had more useful and interesting items. The Hookshot is actually less effective than it was, as it can no longer attach to chests (for good reason). I'd say the only things that makes ALBW better for me are the dungeons and the Hero Mode. Without Hero Mode, it would just be too simple.

The game also has a pretty lame boss in the Dark Woods -
The hand was extremely exploitable, as you could just wall merge over and over again and be completely safe.
Good boss concept though.

Top Bottom