• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Mecca

Forget the Net and the Boots, I can't figure out how to get the shell babies out of the trees. I've bought all my items and upgraded over half of them. I'll figure it out eventually. :/

I've obsessively stocked up on fairies before each dungeon so I have yet to officially die in this game, but I still think it's challenging. I have about three more dungeons left to complete in Lorule. For those who say that if you've played ALTTP before you will probably find this game less of a challenge, that might be true. I've never played ALTTP before so everything is a new discovery.

I'm completely lost in the Dark dungeon at the moment and I love it. I had to turn the game off last night after running in circles for what seemed like forever. I'm going to try again when I get home from work this evening.

Sadist

Wait where can I get the net btw?

Completed the game in under fifteen hours and I really enjoyed it. It's the most streamlined Zelda I've played and honestly it has it charms. The dungeons are easy yes, but at the same time they are fun to play. I like some difficulty in my games, but I was kind of amazed at how the dungeons are designed. I can understand others saying using one item to solve a dungeon makes evertything pretty straight forward, but even with that kind of limit there were some neat (albeit pretty obvious) puzzels to solve.

The rent system is pretty useless, the game just throws rupees at you. I think I collected about 9000 rupees after completing the game.

DaBoss

One thing I thought was really clever that also spoke to the open nature of the game is that
there was one puzzle with switches and all the explorers that can't make it to the treasure are all talking about how they can't run fast enough to get through the gates but there is another way to get through it and both explorer congratulate you on the clever solution after you get the treasure.
Well you've just peaked my interest. Gonna try and find this other solution. The mini-dungeons are one of my favorite additions to the game.

EDIT: Figured it out before I even got to try it lol. But it is clever.
Just hit the switch with a sword, then place the bomb on the first switch, while the rest of the switches requires you to hit the switch with a sword and then throwing a bomb at it near the first gate corresponding to the switch.
Wait where can I get the net btw?

Completed the game in under fifteen hours and I really enjoyed it. It's the most streamlined Zelda I've played and honestly it has it charms. The dungeons are easy yes, but at the same time they are fun to play. I like some difficulty in my games, but I was kind of amazed at how the dungeons are designed. I can understand others saying using one item to solve a dungeon makes evertything pretty straight forward, but even with that kind of limit there were some neat (albeit pretty obvious) puzzels to solve.

The rent system is pretty useless, the game just throws rupees at you. I think I collected about 9000 rupees after completing the game.
Net can be gotten from
the Bee Guy once you get a bottle.

I maxed out the Rupee counter at 9999.

StAidan

Yep, they are much tougher.
I counted 10 hits on the Cyclops guys, and then the Chimera dudes in the mountains take 15 hits.

Aye, my first trip to the mountains almost ended in death, I was so careless about approaching the
Lionels
. Nice to know they can be killed though, I whacked on one of them for a bit and gave up, lol.

Farmboy

100%ed it yesterday, as in: all heart pieces, maiamai's etc. Still have to get 100 secs on the hardest cuccoo level and redo the Treacherous Tower... can someone confirm my suspicion that all you get is
another gold bee? Because I got that from the dude north of Skull Woods

Such a joy to play. Honors the LTTP tradition of starting strong and never really slowing down, allowing you to go straight on to the next dungeon right after beating a boss, if you so please. The hint system is pretty much perfect, as well. Such a radical departure from Skyward Sword in terms of both hand holding and freedom of exploration (and I say this as an unabashed Skyward Sword fan). If this same philosophy drives Zelda U (and Aonuma's comments indicate it will), while marrying it to the more epic scope of 3D Zelda's in general and the excellent set pieces of Skyward Sword in particular, then my hopes are very high indeed.

The sense of accomplishment when, for example, you figure out
you have to blow out the torches to reveal a secret path in Lorule Castle (after having tackled Dark Palace first, I'd nearly forgotten about this concept)
is unmatched in modern Zelda's.

Great dungeon and puzzle design as well. I like how none of the dungeons overstay their welcome: they're nice and compact and exploit their (often quite original) central concept to the fullest, then bow out before getting repetitive. They remind me of Link's Awakening in that sense. My favorites: Thieve's Hideout, Ice Ruins and Lorule Castle.

Finally, while I understand the criticism that the story is a bit slapdash, in reality none of the Zelda's really are Shakespeare (or Portal/BioShock/The Last of Us, for that matter). The plot always takes a back seat to gameplay needs. The best you can hope for are a couple of memorable characters, some slightly ham-handed mythmaking and maybe a satisfying little twist or two. With that in mind, I thoroughly enjoyed the finale and ending. The
Hilda twist
was pretty predictable, but the
Ravio reveal
caught me off guard (despite
the role the pink bunny plays in ALttP -- nice bit of fan service there!
). Glad they brought back
the epilogue theme from ALttP
as well, as it's my favorite bit of Zelda music.

Also, I really dug the
final battle on the wall, with Link and HilYuGanon looking like animated versions of classic Zelda scroll/mural art, that manages to be both funny - esp. considering you're shooting him in the butt - and oddly poignant.

In short: incredible game. Up there with ALttP and Link's Awakening as the best of the 2D-bunch, as far as I'm concerned.

I caught a golden bee outside my house in hero mode and now I can't use my one bottle for anything else until I've streetpassed a new Link. I need the bee for the achievement thing.

MrDeeds

Neo Member
Got to Lorule over the weekend after breezing through Hyrule. I've been taking my time and upgrading as much as possible between dungeons. Love the OoT nostalgia triggered by
the Chamber of Sages music

What's the easiest way to rack up $ in your opinion? Baseball just seems like a waste of time.

scarlet

Do I have to do this rental service?

Rental?

you just need to merge with wall east of the witch's house

Anyway, anybody knows how to reach a room in the west side in 2nd floor of
lorule castle?

I know i have to merge, but it's too high and i can't find the right platform to reach it

MBR

Banned
100%ed it yesterday, as in: all heart pieces, maiamai's etc. Still have to get 100 secs on the hardest cuccoo level and redo the Treacherous Tower... can someone confirm my suspicion that all you get is
another gold bee? Because I got that from the dude north of Skull Woods
I'll just say that you haven't completed the game 100% until you've done TT one more time. I thought what you thought at first too though.

DaBoss

Rental?

you just need to merge with wall east of the witch's house

Anyway, anybody knows how to reach a room in the west side in 2nd floor of
lorule castle?

I know i have to merge, but it's too high and i can't find the right platform to reach it
Drop down from the bottom-right corner on the 3rd floor.

Robin64

I'll just say that you haven't completed the game 100% until you've done TT one more time. I thought what you thought at first too though.

There's reason to do it beyond
getting the super lantern and the super net
?

Got to Lorule over the weekend after breezing through Hyrule. I've been taking my time and upgrading as much as possible between dungeons. Love the OoT nostalgia triggered by
the Chamber of Sages music

What's the easiest way to rack up $ in your opinion? Baseball just seems like a waste of time.

Explore and complete dungeons 100%, I was able to buy everything in Ravio's shop by the time I cleared 2 lorule dungeons.

Joqu

@ Lorule Death Mountain. There's this one treasure chest on a ledge you can spot right after you got out of that cave to the dungeon. How do I get to it?

Neiteio

Those Chimeras on Death Mountain are henccch :(

They're far worse than in LTTP. In LTTP there's only a couple of them on Dark Death Mountain, and they take just a few hits.

In ALBW they're everywhere and they're fucking hard as all hell to kill.
I'm going through the game very slowly (just now arrived at Tower of Hera, after sidetracking myself with a hookshot mini-dungeon for a silver rupee, and a lava mini-dungeon for a Piece of Heart on the eastern side of Death Mountain), and I was wondering about those chimeras. At first I thought they couldn't be defeated, but I kept at it with the sword -- it takes about 20 swipes to defeat them with a basic sword, lol.

The chimeras can hurt themselves with their fire, same with the bomb cyclops, if you don't have upgraded fire rod try baiting them to hit each other. Once you kill one you should be golden to kill the other

DaBoss

@ Lorule Death Mountain. There's this one treasure chest on a ledge you can spot right after you got out of that cave to the dungeon. How do I get to it?
I'm not sure what you're exactly talking about, but does the Hyrule counterpart have a Heart Piece there? Go to the cave that got you up to that dungeon area (the one with the blue platforms).

Use the path as if you were going left, but wait at the first tower platform.
Is there a reward for surviving 100+ seconds in the endless cuccoo mini-game?
100 Rupees, that's it. ;_;

One thing I thought was really clever that also spoke to the open nature of the game is that
there was one puzzle with switches and all the explorers that can't make it to the treasure are all talking about how they can't run fast enough to get through the gates but there is another way to get through it and both explorer congratulate you on the clever solution after you get the treasure.
I stopped trying after 10min yesterday. Now I'll try this again. I hope I can remember where it was later :D I can't right now lol

R.I.P

So far I've played through the swamp and dark dungeons in Lorule, the dark dungeon had the first puzzle that truly stumped me for a while:
It was the puzzle for the master ore. What threw me off were the beams of light you had to open to shine down to the room with the boss door, I thought they had something to do with getting to the big chest on 2F. I wandered around for a good 15-20 minutes wondering what the heck I was supposed to do, until I started playing with the two switches and noticed from the sound ( thank god for headphones!) that activating the lower one made something else than the elevator move on the left side of the room. After that it still took me a few moments to figure out that the same switch also made the trap door on the north of the room open :p

Both the Lorule dungeons have been great, with the dark one being my favorite so far. I don't really see the dungeons as being too short, they're nice and compact for portable play and about on par with most top-down Zelda dungeons length.

Timeaisis

Wait, are people really saying this game is harder than ALttP? Because if so, you need to go back and play it. The enemies in the Dark World in LTTP do just as much damage (maybe more) than the enemies in Lorule. Additionally, Link can only face in 4 directions at once, making blocking/positioning much more difficult and challenging. As for the dungeons, I feel like the puzzles in ALBW are slightly more difficult, but the enemies are significantly easier.

For reference, I'm 4 dungeons away from finishing the game (haven't done Turtle Rock yet, however) and haven't died once. Compare that with LTTP, I've died more times in that game than I can count.

I love both games, but ALttP is a much more difficult game.

So maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot figure out where and how to get to the
Desert Palace
. Would like to get the
Titan Mitts
next.

I bought all of the items, upgraded most of them besides the
Hookshot, Sand Rod, Tornado Rod
and have the
Pegasus Boots
as well. I'm already in Lorule obviously, and I've completed the
Thieve's Den, Swamp Palace, Dark Palace
. Any tips?

Joqu

I'm not sure what you're exactly talking about, but does the Hyrule counterpart have a Heart Piece there? Go to the cave that got you up to that dungeon area (the one with the blue platforms).

Use the path as if you were going left, but wait at the first tower platform.
Ah I believe you're right, but
the platform that takes you to the left is too high to right? I feel like I'm overlooking something really simple here.

Neiteio

tumblr_mwobnprCcC1r01qyso1_400.jpg
Wow, this is amazing, lol

So I got another SpotPass today without leaving the house - I came home from work (3DS turned off, haven't left the house since I played last night and there was no Shadow Link) and checked my 3DS and there was no challenge.

Ate some tree fruit. Put the system to sleep and took a nap, when I woke up, I flew back to town and had a challenge.

All of my challenges have come from player "Shade" with different character names - this one is called Byll.

I'm guessing the fruit initiates something or speeds up the process..? Any news or findings on the matter?
Perhaps "Byll' is Bill Trinen's character at Nintendo of America? :)

DaBoss

Ah I believe you're right, but
the platform that takes you to the left is too high to right? I feel like I'm overlooking something really simple here.
OK, to avoid confusion, I'm gonna start this from the main octagonal tower where you get to choose from 3 blue platforms to choose from.

Go on the blue platform that goes left. It will leave you to a tower. Now wait for the blue platform on the north side and then get on it.

Now you'll see the next blue platform is too high, but you can reach it by using the Tornado Rod. Just keep doing that and you'll get there.

Joqu

OK, to avoid confusion, I'm gonna start this from the main octagonal tower where you get to choose from 3 blue platforms to choose from.

Go on the blue platform that goes left. It will leave you to a tower. Now wait for the blue platform on the north side and then get on it.

Now you'll see the next blue platform is too high, but you can reach it by using the Tornado Rod. Just keep doing that and you'll get there.

I just realized that I made absolutely no sense there, sorry about that!
But yes, you're right! Thank you.

MBR

Banned
So maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot figure out where and how to get to the
Desert Palace
. Would like to get the
Titan Mitts
next.

and have the
Pegasus Boots
. Any tips?
You should be able to get into that area by
entering the rift in Hyrule which lies closest to desert, and then walking into the Lorule version of the desert. Once you're there, use the Sand Rod to get into the dungeon itself.

Extra hint if necessary:
The dungeon is actually in Hyrule.

Chitown B

love this game so far. so classic.

I can't figure out how to get to the dungeon in the middle of the lake, bottom center. I think its' a windmill.

MilkBeard

This game is giving me nostalgic SNES vibes. Must be the angle, sound effects and music. It just brings me back to playing those games back in the day.

Sendou

So is there any way to calm down the
cyclop that goes all like "GIMME BACK MAH RUPEES!!!". Pretty awesome part really. I kind of feel bad for the guy. What would have happened if I wouldn't have been so greedy? Nothing?

I can't figure out how to get to the dungeon in the middle of the lake, bottom center. I think its' a windmill.

Zoras in the north-east might have something that interest you...

Tom_Cody

What's up with Rosso's Ore Mine? I just had my coolest experience yet in the game but it seems to have led to nothing.

I am at the point of tackling The Tower of Hera and, instead of going inside, I decided to explore the rest of the mountain. After getting past some truly treacherous dragon/minotaur things I tackled a mini-dungeon (the hookshot-centric one) and then continued to try to explore the area comprehensively. I went back one screen and entered a doorway which eventually led into a room with a platform elevated hundreds of fewet above lava in probably the best 3D effect I've yet seen on the system.

From there I started to traverse the room going from platform to platform. While doing this I noticed that there was one platform visible off to the right of the platform I was currently on but much further down in elevation and quite far away laterally. I pressed L to dash and made the jump (in truth this took a few tries) but I eventually ended up in a new area and was able to follow more platforms to an exit. At this point I felt like a Zelda god and felt that I has stumbled on some fantastic obscure secret. I exited the lava room out onto another area. At the bottom of this area I came to a log path suspended out over the void to the side of the mountain (none of this is clearly visible on the map) in another fantastic 3D showcase. At this point I felt like even more of a god and I made the tight walk along the logs.

Then it all went to crap. The log path ended up looping around the other part of the previous area with no reward. After exploring this area thoroughly for a few minutes I did a quick google search and determined that here I'm meant to explore the lava room more and maybe return here later in the game. WTF!? What a wasted moment.

Timeaisis

Desert Palace
. Would like to get the
Titan Mitts
next.

and have the
Pegasus Boots
. Any tips?

I believe you need to be in Hyrule, go south. There should be a large region of your map to the left of Lake Hylia. It is grassy and has water. There's a passage into Lorule on one of the Pillars in the north-west of that area. I believe that's where you have to go to get to the
Desert Palace
, but I may be wrong. It's definitely somewhere around there.

Madouu

What's up with Rosso's Ore Mine? I just had my coolest experience yet in the game but it seems to have led to nothing.

yeah it's a pretty cool spot, I was a bit confused at first too. Lava room has a piece of hearth in it. It's also used to access Rosso mine which leads to a dungeon in Lorule later in the game. I think this is also the path to get to the guy who wants some fresh milk so you can get one of your bottles. There might be more that I've missed/can't remember.

Sagitario

I'd like to hear more impressions from people that didn't play much/any of ALTTP. All the coverage so far is from people that played it originally, or later on GBA. I've played all of the handheld zeldas bar Oracle of Seasons, so I'm okay with 2D zeldas.
ALTTP isn't my favorite Zelda game, far from it. I prefer almost all the titles that got released after it.
ALBW is absolutely fantastic. It's a joy to play, it's really well designed (the issues I had with ALTTP aren't present anymore). I think that if you haven't liked previous/latest Zelda iterations, this game will hook you into the franchise again.

First post since getting approved =D. I've been dying to join this thread. I'm absolutely in love with this game. Zelda is my favorite IP there is and while I wasn't too impressed with the art style at first and feared that this was just an updated Link to the Past. Boy am I happy to be wrong. I'm finding myself impressed just how fluid Link is, how fun the gameplay continues to be, and how much the new 'Link on a wall' addition is.

I've spent about 11 hours so far and I haven't even completed the first level in Lorule. Just exploring, grinding, and enjoying it all.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What's the point of "Rosso's Mine", located past Tower of Hera in Death Mountain.

I followed the signs and did the hard platforming section where you need to drop on platforms, only to come out to an empty area with a few baddies. Is there a point where something occurs here?

Dorygrant

For the life of me I can't find the "item" for the Lorule Dungeon
Dark Palace
. I can see it in the middle of the room top floor but no way to reach it :(

Top Bottom