• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

EVH

Wall-merging is the best Zelda mechanic since the time travel of Majora's Mask, IMO. Both mechanics thoroughly change the game.

I must say that I played Majora's Mask but just a couple of hours. Hope that I can fix that soon with a 3DS remake.

The thing is that this game has such a good design and the new mechanic gives a new way to think about how to play it. It felt a lot like Portal felt the first time which is something very rare and very good.

BY2K

Membero Americo
A lot of people at the studio I work for have 3DS or 3DS XL, I guarantee you, look over at them to see what they are playing, and EVERY SINGLE ONE is playing A Link Between Worlds.

Where does this one rank compared to the other Zeldas?

I'd put it somewhere in the middle, it's worse then LoZ, LTTP, OoT, MM, WW, LA, OoA, SS, and ST. It's better then single player FS, single player FSA, Zelda 2, PH, and OoS. Not sure how I'd compare it to multiplayer FS and multiplayer FSA, MC, and TP which kind of float around in the middle of my list of best to least best Zelda game.

You need one for the StreetPass thing.

Ah, well the odds of me ever street passing enough players to get all the medals is zilch

Voror

Good god, how is it possible to get that piece of heart from the baseball minigame! I can't even break 20. I get that when you it hit changes whether it goes left or right, but I just can't get high enough.

watershed

Banned
Good god, how is it possible to get that piece of heart from the baseball minigame! I can't even break 20. I get that when you it hit changes whether it goes left or right, but I just can't get high enough.

Change your stance. Pull back on the circle pad to hit all the pots on the wall.

Stoze

Ah, well the odds of me ever street passing enough players to get all the medals is zilch

It's not as bad as you think, I got 4 medals from one streetpass today by beating a 180 bounty link by just using the Pegasus boots.

I imagine it will get harder though, soon everyone will be rocking 20 heart, fully upgraded dark links.

DaBoss

Hit 3 pots, any 3 pots, and then let the crow come and go to the neutral stance (the one where you don't push up or down on the circle pad) and hit the ball. It auto-targets the crow and gets you 20 rupees for hitting the crow. Do this constantly and you'll easily get a heart piece.

I love that the
Sand Rod
even looks like the
shovel
from ALTTP.

This game is so good. Probably cracks my top 3 for Zeldas, definitely top 5. Best mechanic outside of Majora indeed.

Dat Lorule Mountains theme too <3

Best Zelda since ALTTP.

I love OoT, I love M'sM, I love EVERY Zelda. (Except the DS ones.)

But this.

THIS is something else!

You often hear complains about modern Zelda today. Handholding, too many tutorials, too long intros, too much panning.

This game says FUCK YOU to all that crap. It's Zelda RAW AS FUCK.

Zelda's back. FULL. FUCKING. FORCE. If Zelda Wii U is as good as this one, we're looking at THE next Zelda will make people go WOW. I'm talking E3 2004 reactions.

I have to agree with you. I haven't enjoyed a Zelda game as much as I am enjoying this one in 20 years. It's truly a delight and has he hyped to heaven for the reveal of Zelda Wii U. I haven't been this invested in a game in an extremely long time and just am finding myself (even at work) wanting to play. I haven't brought a portable gaming device to work in YEARS but sure enough I have my 3DS sitting next to me and played during my lunch. It's that good.

Guys... I don't think I want to go back to 3D Zelda

=D this makes me happy. I would love for Nintendo to perhaps to a hybrid 3D/top down 2D Wii U Zelda. Use the gamepad for 2D and the TV for 3D. It's probably not feasible but man, it would make both camps happy.

Voror

Change your stance. Pull back on the circle pad to hit all the pots on the wall.

I figured that was how I was hitting those, though thanks for the clarification.

Hit 3 pots, any 3 pots, and then let the crow come and go to the neutral stance (the one where you don't push up or down on the circle pad) and hit the ball. It auto-targets the crow and gets you 20 rupees for hitting the crow. Do this constantly and you'll easily get a heart piece.

This will help immensely. Thank you.

pringles

Should learn not to trust the people who bring early impressions of a new game and always complain "it's too short" and "it's too easy". Obviously they've been rushing through it.

Many hours into it now and have only done 3 dungeons, having so much fun just exploring and it feels like there are secrets everywhere. The world is really packed with content.

And I wandered into an area where the enemies kick my ass. Died twice and lost my rented items. Felt sort of like going to a high level area in Dark Souls too soon, but I'm guessing there's some trick to those enemies that I'm not aware of yet.

Mistle

Just found the pegusses boots, and haven't even hit the third dungeon yet. Exploring really pays off in this game! So good.

Makes me wonder how many people neglect the exploration and miss out on a lot of cool things.

Should learn not to trust the people who bring early impressions of a new game and always complain "it's too short" and "it's too easy". Obviously they've been rushing through it.

Many hours into it now and have only done 3 dungeons, having so much fun just exploring and it feels like there are secrets everywhere. The world is really packed with content.

And I wandered into an area where the enemies kick my ass. Died twice and lost my rented items. Felt sort of like going to a high level area in Dark Souls too soon, but I'm guessing there's some trick to those enemies that I'm not aware of yet.

I didn't rush the game at all, spent a lot of time exploring before doing dungeons and still 100% the game in 15 hours. It was too short and too easy

Not different enough? The new item system allows you to tackle dungeons in any order of your choosing, and to explore most of the overworld(s) right out of the gate. It also adds a risk-reward mechanic -- rent a lot of stuff and make more progress more quickly, but at the risk of losing it all if you fall in battle.

The risk of losing all your items is kind of negated since you can easily get a shit ton of rupees. Also, I haven't found any other use for my rupees aside from renting/buying from Ravio and the mini games.

Kalnos

Banned
Not different enough? The new item system allows you to tackle dungeons in any order of your choosing, and to explore most of the overworld(s) right out of the gate. It also adds a risk-reward mechanic -- rent a lot of stuff and make more progress more quickly, but at the risk of losing it all if you fall in battle.

I do appreciate the freedom but I don't think the renting system is a requirement for that; there was quite a bit of freedom in the original LTTP in terms of dungeon order (in the Dark World).

There has to be a reasonable risk for a risk-reward system and considering I didn't game over once until the final boss I don't see a downside to renting every item ASAP.

Why I said 'not really different' though is that most of the dungeons still revolve around one of the items. Turtle Rock requires the Ice Rod to complete, the Ice Dungeon requires the Fire Rod, etc. Basically, I don't see the difference in renting the item and heading to the dungeon and just finding the item in the dungeon other than it allows you to pick up the items earlier for use in the overworld. Just doesn't seem that significant to me.

Regardless, it was still a lot of fun.

The risk of losing all your items is kind of negated since you can easily get a shit ton of rupees. Also, I haven't found any other use for my rupees aside from renting/buying from Ravio and the mini games.

You need 3000 of them for
the 5th bottle
but yeah once you buy all of Ravio's items rupees become just as useless as in every other Zelda.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
So I bought this Saturday and apparently it was bundled with Oracle of Ages but I have yet to recieve an email from best buy like it says. Anyone else get it from best buy bu no preorder it?

You need 3000 of them for
the 5th bottle
but yeah once you buy all of Ravio's items rupees become just as useless as in every other Zelda.

Maybe rupees would be more useful if they made potions the only source of healing and make fairies only revive Link with one heart.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finished the first three dungeons. The music is really great, and everything is so smooth. Really great stuff so far.

Maybe rupees would be more useful if they made potions the only source of healing and make fairies only revive Link with one heart.

Skyward Sword made rupees more useful by having them needed for item upgrades and making some of the later upgrades rather pricey. I was expecting rupees to be needed for upgrading items and was kind of disappointed to find all I need to do was locate the maiamani to do it. While maiamani searching is a far superior upgrade system to grinding loot and rupees in Skyward Sword it didn't help the feeling that rupees were still pretty worthless by the end.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm about 10 hours in and I've got to say this game is off the charts. As an 80s baby I loved ALTTP and played the shit out of it when I was a kid. This just really hit the spot in a way no other Zelda has since. Maybe it's the music. Maybe it's the fact that I still remember the map after all these years. I don't know, but I'm loving this game. My favorite game in a long time. I don't want it to end.

Voror

So is there a trick to making sure you actually hit the crow in the baseball minigame? Half the time I'll hit him and the other half it'll just go off. What's really screwing me over is continually hitting spots I've already hit even when it's the very first pot I've broken. Is luck an element in this game or something.

linkboy

I'm at the final boss and all I want to say is to him is

Screw you, you cheap (glorious) bastard.

This game has been the Zelda game I've been waiting for since 1992. Alttp isn't just my favorite Zelda, it's my favorite game and I never thought I would get to play (and visit) that version of Hyrule again.

Thank you Nintendo for making this game and making a 31yr old feel like he was 10 again.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Not sure how many hours I am into this game but man I'm loving it. I have only played OOT and TP. I never ended up finishing ALTTP. I like how little hand holding there is in this game and how they basically just throw you out into the world to do what you want.

Exploring is actually pretty enjoyable, though the world feels a bit small in comparison to 3D Zeldas (though I guess that's to be expected).

3 more dungeons left to go and my only disappointment with this game is that feels somewhat short.

I would never beat the game without my OP fairies.

So is there a trick to making sure you actually hit the crow in the baseball minigame? Half the time I'll hit him and the other half it'll just go off. What's really screwing me over is continually hitting spots I've already hit even when it's the very first pot I've broken. Is luck an element in this game or something.

Try to hit the ball when the bird is around the Octorok, and make sure you hit the ball in the middle of that plate/bat. You'll be hitting birds like a champ

Voror

Try to hit the ball when the bird is around the Octorok, and make sure you hit the ball in the middle of that plate/bat. You'll be hitting birds like a champ

Alright, I'll try. It's just maddening getting to 95 with one ball and a bird coming and I go and miss him. Honestly the hardest thing in this game thus far and it's just for some heart piece.

Voror

Oh thank goodness. Finally got it. Thanks for the tips from those that helped.

As for this game, it is way too easy honestly and I wish Hero mode had been available from the start. Still, I quite like it thus far.

Alright, I'll try. It's just maddening getting to 95 with one ball and a bird coming and I go and miss him. Honestly the hardest thing in this game thus far and it's just for some heart piece.

I was worried that there would be a heart piece in the mystery chest shop in Lorule, there was, but I got it on my very first chest on my very first attempt lol then I got a gold rupee and a silver rupee in the other two chest LOL. The only possible thing that could have been better was getting both golden rupees and the heart piece on my first attempt :X

I thought the Boomerang was useless until I upgraded it. Its the best stun weapon in the game. You can throw 3 of these mothafuckas and still move around, if you're focusing on one enemy its pretty godlike

Nah, it's not better than the nice tornado rod. An AOE stun that hits multiple enemies for damage and raises you above attacks.

Best Zelda since ALTTP.

I love OoT, I love M'sM, I love EVERY Zelda. (Except the DS ones.)

But this.

THIS is something else!

You often hear complains about modern Zelda today. Handholding, too many tutorials, too long intros, too much panning.

This game says FUCK YOU to all that crap. It's Zelda RAW AS FUCK.

Zelda's back. FULL. FUCKING. FORCE. If Zelda Wii U is as good as this one, we're looking at THE next Zelda will make people go WOW. I'm talking E3 2004 reactions.
I agree entirely. ALBW restored my hope in the Zelda series. It reminds me of what Donkey Kong Country Returns did for DKC. It goes back to the basics, takes out everything that didn't work, keeps what did work and enhances it, then it adds some modern flare to make it stand on its own. This is exactly what Zelda needed, in my opinion, and ALBW delivered beyond my expectations.

ALBW gave me the biggest sense of discovery in a Zelda game since Wind Waker with it's open, non-linear world, and this was really just ALttP's overworld slightly remixed! Imagine the excitement of exploring a whole new open world that allows you to explore in any direction from the get go in HD on the Wii U! It's a great time to be a Zelda fan.

Megasoum

Banned
I really love the game...don't get me wrong... (Forest temple spoiler)
But the fucking hand in the forest temple. I hated it in LTTP and I still hate it now. Such an annoying mechanic lol.

Megasoum

Banned
Honestly I really like what they did with the
wall master
in this game. Tricking them into
hitting switches for you or break tiles above you
was really brilliant

Yeah
I just got to the first switch where you need it to hit it... That's actually clever.

Farmboy

Slightly off topic, but reading all of your favorite and least favorite top down Zelda lists makes me want to stick up for Phantom Hourglass. I can't be the only one who really liked it, can I? Certainly much better than Spirit Tracks, no? It had some really neat ideas.

I'd rank it as the (admittedly distant) fourth best 2D Zelda behind ALTTP, LA and now LBW (order of top-3 may vary; right now I'm feeling LBW > all).

Where does this one rank compared to the other Zeldas?
It feels more polished and "complete" than any Zelda since Ocarina of Time. The pacing is flawless. I'm not sure if you prefer 2D or 3D Zelda, but regardless, I feel there has been a glaring flaw in every Zelda since Wind Waker, mostly pacing issues and too much hand-holding. But more than that, I just felt like each Zelda since then felt incomplete, like they were mission some dungeons, a more cohesive world, or an option to turn the intrusive hand-holding off.

ALBW is solid. If there is any obvious "flaw," it's the lack of difficulty, especially in the boss battles, but that really didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game when everything else is so spot on that it gives me a smile that never leaves my face, but grows bigger as I explore more and more of its open world!

So to answer your question, I rank it very high. It's exactly what the Zelda series needed--a return to its roots of exploration. Because of this, I feel ALBW is the most important Zelda since Ocarina of Time, and I think it is just the first step for far greater things coming for the Zelda series!

My Zelda Rankings

Skyward Sword
Majora's Mask
Link To The Past
Oracle of Ages
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Oracle of Seasons
Spirit Tracks
Legend of Zelda
FSA Multiplayer
Twilight Princess
Link Between Worlds
Minish Cap
Phantom Hourglass
FSA Singleplayer
FS Multiplayer
FS Singleplayer
Adventure Of Link

Slightly off topic, but reading all of your favorite and least favorite top down Zelda lists makes me want to stick up for Phantom Hourglass. I can't be the only one who really liked it, can I? Certainly much better than Spirit Tracks, no? It had some really neat ideas.

I'd rank it as the (admittedly distant) fourth best 2D Zelda behind ALTTP, LA and now LBW (order of top-3 may vary; right now I'm feeling LBW > all).

Phantom Hourglass ranks...

15. Spirit Tracks
14. Phantom Hourglass
13. Twilight Princess
12. Oracle of Seasons
11. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
10. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
9. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
7. The Legend of Zelda
6. Ocarina of Time
5. The Minish Cap