• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

donny2112

z4s_title1.jpg

What: Multi-player Zelda on DSiWare, playable on DSi and 3DS
When: Japan, EU, AUS, U.S. (now, September 28, 2011)
How Much: Free! But only until February 20, 2012.
"This title will be available for a limited time only (September 28, 2011 through February 20, 2012)."

Offical Four Swords Site

Official Summary

In celebration of the series’ 25th anniversary, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords returns – with new additions!

Introducing The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition, a special — re-release of the Game Boy™ Advance multiplayer game!

When the evil Wind Mage Vaati escapes from confinement, Link™ must draw upon the power of the legendary Four Sword and save the kidnapped Princess Zelda™! But there’s a catch —whoever touches the sword will divide into multiples! Play in single player mode and control two heroes, or play via DS Wireless Play with up to four friends! Hurdle through challenges by using teamwork as you scramble to collect the most Rupees! The Great Fairies are always watching your efforts, and will reward your bravery based on how many Rupees you collect.

This edition includes —new stages and modes. Upon completing the main quest, relive memorable moments from the past with levels based on previous Zelda games in “The Realm of Memories.”. The bold and daring can, test their adventuring skills in “The Hero’s Trial.”

Screenshots

z4s1.jpg
z4s2.jpg
z4s3.jpg
z4s4.jpg
z4s5.jpg
z4s6.jpg
z4s7.jpg

New Retro Levels

z4s_retro_levels.png

FAQs
Q: Can DSi owners and 3DS owners play multi-player?
A: Yes, since this is actually a DSiWare game, 3DSs play it in DS mode.

Q: How does single-player work?
A: The game gives you a dummy partner to be able to do puzzles, but only 1-2 player puzzles. If you can get 3 or 4 people together to play, slightly different 3/4-player puzzles become available.

Q: How do I get this on my DSi or 3DS?
A: Go to the Nintendo DSi Shop on a DSi or the eShop on a 3DS.

Q: Can I download this on a DSi and 3DS on the same Club Nintendo account?
A: Yes, and it's recommended, since it's free but unknown for how long. It should come with a post-play survey, but only one per account (or one per member of a family account).

Q: Is multi-player online or local only?
A: No online. Can only be played locally for multi-player. Hey, it's free! :p

Q: It's blurry on my 3DS. Can this be fixed?
A: Yes, by running in native DS resolution mode. Press/Hold Select before choosing the game to run it in native resolution mode. (Thanks, fernoca!)

Q: I may need to clean my fridge. How many blocks does it take?
A: 114 blocks on DSi and 115 blocks on 3DS. (Thanks, Aad!)

Q: Can this be played through Download Play on a DS or DSLite?
A: No.

4Swords_title2.jpg

Tuck

I remember playing this with a friend once. I forget how far we got.

Very excited to go through it.

I remember I bought an extra copy of LttP for GBA for my brother as a "Christmas present" and forced him to play through it so I could unlock the new dungeon in LttP. It was a damn good dungeon.

DJ_Lae

Really excited for this.

I'm downloading it on all of our handhelds (2 DSis and one 3DS) so we can get some multiplayer going.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oni Link 666 said:
I remember I bought an extra copy of LttP for GBA for my brother as a "Christmas present" and forced him to play through it so I could unlock the new dungeon in LttP. It was a damn good dungeon.

Ugh was it? Me and my cousin lost to the last boss and never got a chance to try it again.

The Japanese trailer say wireless multiplayer? Is that online or local wifi?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wasn't aware until now that this is actually a classic DSiware game... it's not specifically for 3DS. Good for DSi owners I guess... but I thought I'd be getting some new 3DS content :/

fernoca

Nice.
You should add that 3DS owners, as it runs in "DS Mode" can press/hold Select before choosing the game, so it runs at its native resolution (i.e. non-stretched). :p

donny2112

Tashi0106 said:
The Japanese trailer say wireless multiplayer? Is that online or local wifi?

Local multi-player only. No online. Added it to the FAQ section. :)

fernoca said:
Nice.
You should add that 3DS owners, as it runs in "DS Mode" can press/hold Select before choosing the game, so it runs at its native resolution (i.e. non-stretched). :p

Done. Thanks!

Tashi0106 said:
Ugh was it? Me and my cousin lost to the last boss and never got a chance to try it again.

It was good enough to hold its own among LttP dungeons and much better than the Zelda LA DX color dungeon. I really had a much better time with the dungeon than I did with Four Swords. My brother really didn't want to play it.

So I thought it was coming on Thursday, but you list as within 24 hours. Does that mean tomorrow night, or literally sometime within the next undetermined 24 hours? Kind of interested. Never could get anyone to play this with me back when.

creid

Hope this is a bit longer than the original. IIRC, a friend and I got through it on GBA in under an hour.

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I wasn't aware until now that this is actually a classic DSiware game... it's not specifically for 3DS. Good for DSi owners I guess... but I thought I'd be getting some new 3DS content :/

you're mad you're sharing content with DSi owners? lol

donny2112

DownLikeBCPowder said:
So I thought it was coming on Thursday, but you list as within 24 hours. Does that mean tomorrow night, or literally sometime within the next undetermined 24 hours?

It's releases on September 28, so it's separate from the regular Thursday Nintendo Download update. If I had to guess, probably tomorrow at 9 a.m. PDT (same as Thursday updates, right?), but it hasn't been specifically stated.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oni Link 666 said:
It was good enough to hold its own among LttP dungeons and much better than the Zelda LA DX color dungeon. I really had a much better time with the dungeon than I did with Four Swords. My brother really didn't want to play it.

That's a bold statement. Link to the Past is my favorite game ever.

edit: No online multiplayer is a major bummer

Mistle

Never played this because of the multiplayer and lack of multiple GBAs. So awesome that it is free and single player!

Umi88

Aww.. it would have been better if it had online multiplayer :/ , but at least it haves singleplayer and more important.. its free!

DarkWish

I just remembered that I have a DSi as well so I can download it on both my DSi and 3DS! Yay! Though I don't have anyone else to play it with... oh well, there's always single player mode.

GSR

Hyped for this. I've got a friend with a 3DS as well, so we're probably going to log way too many hours.

Which game does this art style copy?

I cannot seem to remember... I think the game starts with rain outside... it was my favorite Zelda art style for a long time

I want this, and I hope that my 3 other classmates that have a 3DS (convenient number, huh?) get it before we have class together again.

Tuck

Smiles and Cries said:

I cannot seem to remember... I think the game starts with rain outside... it was my favorite Zelda art style for a long time

Link to the Past? It looks like a cross between Minish cap and LttP from the pics. Looks almost like a 2D Wind waker.

Smiles and Cries said:

Well, it looks like Minish Cap, but it came out way before Minish Cap so I'd say Minish Cap copied this game's style.

Truth101

Banned
Urgh... Still haven't found my 3DS charger. Need to by Thursday.

Oni Link 666 said:
Well, it looks like Minish Cap, but it came out way before Minish Cap so I'd say Minish Cap copied this game's style.

LTTP

Boney

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:

what is this

luka said:
I have no close friends or relatives with a DS of any kind. No MP for me. :(
how bout you come down here and spend some quality time with me

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Smiles and Cries said:
Oh, I was thinking A Link to the Past

I need a copy of A LINK TO THE PAST why can't I get to play this? does the Wii Shop have it?
At first I thought you were trolling. You really forgot A Link to the Past? lol

Yes it's on the Wii's Virtual Console. LttP I mean.

BocoDragon said:
At first I thought you were trolling. You really forgot A Link to the Past? lol

Yes it's on the Wii's Virtual Console. LttP I mean.

Seriously have not played that since it was released that is a long time ago
I want to play it again

Luigiv

Oni Link 666 said:
The original looks closer to Minish Cap than LttP.
I believe you mean Minish Cap looks like the original (since Minish Cap literally reuse most of the assets from 4S).

I believe his reminiscence of LTTP comes from the LTTP throwback level that is featured in 3 of the screenshots in the OP.

Top Bottom