• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
I'm waiting this game too.
I played the original one in my ALttP/FS GBA, and i finished 100%.
Hope that this version have more unlockables and well, the single mode is a huge feature.
Too bad that this game doesn't have online, but.. as a downloadable release, Nintendo can release a v2 of this game if they want.

Luigiv said:
I believe you mean Minish Cap looks like the original (since Minish Cap literally reuse most of the assets from 4S).

I believe his reminiscence of LTTP comes from the LTTP throwback level that is featured in 3 of the screenshots in the OP.

Yeah that's what I mean. Minish Cap didn't even come out until after the DS was released.

Those sprites in those screens are totally ripped straight out of LttP.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Smiles and Cries said:
Seriously have not played that since it was released that is a long time ago
I want to play it again
For GAF, the day A Link to the Past graced their screens was the most important day of their lives. For Smiles and Cries, it was Tuesday.

Red

I didn't know this version came with new content. Looks fantastic.

I don't have a DSi or 3DS though :(

Peagles

Didn't realise it was already out in Japan! Just booting my 7eleven Mario DSi now to get it!

Aww lame, have to do a system update first?

BocoDragon said:
For GAF, the day A Link to the Past graced their screens was the most important day of their lives. For Smiles and Cries, it was Tuesday.

Apr 13, 1992 was a Monday I think... I lost my virginity that year everything is foggy :p

goddamn it japanese DSi, update! man setting up wifi on this thing is a nightmare when you don't speak nihongo. next to wade through the store!

it's the lime green one before anyone asks. BE JEALOUS. i hope this will play MP with the US version, but i'm doubting it.

Peagles

plagiarize said:
goddamn it japanese DSi, update! man setting up wifi on this thing is a nightmare when you don't speak nihongo. next to wade through the store!

it's the lime green one before anyone asks. BE JEALOUS. i hope this will play MP with the US version, but i'm doubting it.

Tell me about it. You think you're safe choosing the first "Hai" and then sticking to that side for confirm, but they keep switching it over!

And to make matters worse Mario and co keep putting blue baubles in the container and the level isn't even going up, grrr! I just wants the Four Swords!

Luigiv said:
I believe you mean Minish Cap looks like the original (since Minish Cap literally reuse most of the assets from 4S).

I believe his reminiscence of LTTP comes from the LTTP throwback level that is featured in 3 of the screenshots in the OP.
eh, even though four swords came out first, technically Capcom were making minish cap before they worked on four swords. they used sprites they'd made for minish cap in four swords, even though four swords came out first.

edit: installed!

co developed by Grezzo... did we know this already?

Bullza2o

I'll have to wait until Friday to download this for my 3DS and my sister's DSi. She probably won't be much help when we play this game together, but hey at least I get to play multiplayer!

so you use X to tell the other link to follow, and you use R to switch between the two links... eh. still say that anyone playing this single player is doing it very wrong. A is grab, B is sword, Y is shield.

Obviously I'll be picking this up, but damnit, throw some online in there. I don't know anybody over the age of 12 with a 3DS or DSi besides myself.

both links jump together in order to push a two link block...

and i guess i'm going to bed :) it's four swords though. which i love. shame that so many will only play this single player, and they'll say it isn't very good for a single player zelda game even though it was free.

Codeblue

Finally be able to play this game. A friend and I got a decent way in back on the GBA when his link cable failed and we gave up.

donny2112

Buddha Beam said:
I don't know anybody over the age of 12 with a 3DS or DSi besides myself.

When the original GBA game came out, I played through the Silver and some Gold levels (think it's based on total number of gems collected, IIRC) in one evening with an 8 or 9 year old. You just have to find the right < 12 year old to play multi-player with. :)

Single player is hard, I'm not sure the game can be truly completed with all keys in 1P. Unless of course the game is "rigged" to award single players with more rupees.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
game looks awesome I wish I wasn't 32 with not a single game playing friend. hah.

A guy on 2ch says he got 4000 rupees but he wasn't awarded with the gold key (1P). This might mean 1P gets only one of the three epics.

Stabby McSter said:
just checked. didn't see it. maybe i suck at using the store. :(

Nah, despite the store's confusing and HARDCORE FOR REAL GAMERS ONLY interface, they normally make new games pretty apparent. Also, if you head left, there's a section called recent updates or something like that were you can choose new software or new videos.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Lord Ghirahim said:
A guy on 2ch says he got 4000 rupees but he wasn't awarded with the gold key (1P). This might mean 1P gets only one of the three epics.

4000 Rupees in a couple of hours? Is he a wizard?

pramath

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Free games are always awesome.

Are the Four Swords games considered cannon?
Yes. Apparently, they are the earliest games in the Zelda timeline, with these two along with Minish Cap showing the forging of the Four Sword (which allegedly becomes the Master Sword later on).
Of course, with Skyward Sword coming up, one has to wonder if the Four Sword trilogy will be retconned out of the timeline and canon.

BY2K

Membero Americo
pramath said:
Yes. Apparently, they are the earliest games in the Zelda timeline, with these two along with Minish Cap showing the forging of the Four Sword (which allegedly becomes the Master Sword later on).
Of course, with Skyward Sword coming up, one has to wonder if the Four Sword trilogy will be retconned out of the timeline and canon.

The Four Sword is not the Master Sword.

Mik2121

BY2K said:
4000 Rupees in a couple of hours? Is he a wizard?
I just played now about an hour and got 2180 rupees. Give me another hour or so and I could reach 4000 without problems.

And this is the first time I play the game.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
pramath said:

Interesting. It's awesome that they made this single player friendly, like the GCN FS was.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Should be up in Australia 4pm-5pm AEST time for Aussies.

This might mean it's up for Europe at the same time too (in about an hour or so).

Salsa

Im in

Too bad my dsi xl got a fucking dust particle under the touchscreen (same thing that happened with my psp ages ago D:) and now its like one big ass dead pixel. I'll have to deal.

pramath

Banned
BY2K said:
The Four Sword is not the Master Sword.
Huh. Funny, I could have sworn that the Four Sword was supposed to become the Master Sword, and that the Four Sword trilogy was supposed to be about its forging.
In any case, the Four Sword games are always supposed to have been the earliest games in the
timeline.

pramath said:
Huh. Funny, I could have sworn that the Four Sword was supposed to become the Master Sword, and that the Four Sword trilogy was supposed to be about its forging.
In any case, the Four Sword games are always supposed to have been the earliest games in the
timeline.
SS is about the Master Sword's forging.

Berordn

Are they though? The shape of Hyrule in the Four Swords series and the presence of Force Gems in Spirit Tracks seemed like a hint that the world of Four Swords was New Hyrule's future.

pramath

Banned
shadyspace said:
SS is about the Master Sword's forging.
Yes, that's why I was curious about how Skyward Sword would fit in, and whether it would retcon the FS games out of the timeline.

Peagles

VOOK said:

This might mean it's up for Europe at the same time too (in about an hour or so).

Ahhh 3DS, why you no wifi connect?

Edit: Oh god seriously. First it's saying my security settings aren't correct, so I do a connection test and it's successful, but now even though it's connected in the blue bar at the top, I get a connection error when I try to access the eShop again saying there's a problem with my wifi settings. Grrr! Now I can't get the blue bar to come up again either. My lust for Four Swords broke my 3DS!

Edit 2: Phew, got it!

Luigi87

pramath said:
timeline.

I believe the Four Sword is definitely a different sword than the Master Sword.

More to the point in terms of timeline:
Minish Cap is of course at the start with it, but the Four Swords titles take place generations later, after Ganon's era, etc. The Four Sword itself is used to bind Vaati. The Link in the Four Swords games, is not the same Link from the Minish Cap.

Mik2121

Alright. I've played for about an hour and a half already. I've been finishing most maps in around 10 minutes and taking short breaks every now and then, but yeah about an hour and a half.

Now I have 8162 coins, and I got 4000+ coins on the last stage. So for the other guy asking if that guy that got 4000 coins in a couple hours was a wizard... lol :p
0prfF.png

After collecting all three keys I unlocked another world:
n0YIe.png

VOOK said:

Hang on a tick, doesn't the EU and US store get updated on Thursday? (in which case that would mean that it gets updated tomorrow)

Top Bottom