• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
john tv said:
Anyone else have any disconnect issues? We got dc errors twice the other day while playing 4P... :/

Only playing two player with a 3DS and DSi, but no issues for us yet.

john tv said:
Anyone else have any disconnect issues? We got dc errors twice the other day while playing 4P... :/

I have, quite a few actually. Sometimes it's perfect and sometimes it gets really laggy with random disconnects (though given the inconsistency, it's probably some sort of wireless interference)

zigg

obijkenobi said:
Oh? Are you in MI?

Grand Rapids. Like I said, a bit too far. Did some DQIX and StreetPass meetups for awhile there though, one of the former was in Lansing actually.

DavidDayton said:
Weird. I think I actually got stuck in the second Link's Awakening level. I needed to jump over a 6 block gap and couldn't make it, nor could I open a locked shutter... yet I had checked out everything else in the level.

Im stuck here right now, I swear I got the key thing but the lock wont open and I cant find anything else to do :/

Question about the bottom screen, what's with the sword, shirt, and boot icons, and the little gems that you can fill in there?

Berordn

It shows you which of the seeds you've collected that improve attack/defense/speed. They reset every level and every time you resurrect, so it's useful.

Berordn said:
It shows you which of the seeds you've collected that improve attack/defense/speed. They reset every level and every time you resurrect, so it's useful.

Oh i see thanks, so if i have one of those slots with a seed in it my attack or whatever is boosted?

It seems the game wasn't rebalanced for solo play. I had to farm enemies for long minutes to get the Hero keys (5000 rupees) on the Ice and Lava stages.

Also got to the 3rd level on Hero's Trial 3rd door, where I got beat to death in a room with a million of spear and arrow moblins. Worst thing is that I have to do everything again, and each floor takes me about 20 minutes.

zigg

Mr. Wonderful said:
What the heck were they thinking when they made this game's music?

"People will be shouting at each other so much that they won't be able to hear it anyway"?

giggas

I haven't read through much of this thread, but has anyone else had trouble fighting Vaati on single player? I just can't bomb him fast enough. I've been able to knock him down once by chance but that's it. I switch back and forth between the two links throwing bombs nonstop but my timing is always off. I've had him pretty much locked in place for a while now but never enough to knock him down again. Its driving me mad.

Do I just suck or has this frustrated anyone else?

zigg

giggas said:
I haven't read through much of this thread, but has anyone else had trouble fighting Vaati on single player? I just can't bomb him fast enough. I've been able to knock him down once by chance but that's it. I switch back and forth between the two links throwing bombs nonstop but my timing is always off. I've had him pretty much locked in place for a while now but never enough to knock him down again. Its driving me mad.

Do I just suck or has this frustrated anyone else?

I'm pretty much always fighting him on my own, even with other players... ;)

Just toss the bombs into the whirlwind and remember to detonate them when they get near his body.

Jackano

Mr. Wonderful said:
What the heck were they thinking when they made this game's music?

The music is fine. The Title Theme is awesome. Unused theme from the GBA ROM show a original dungeon theme arrangement, a shame they didn't use it.
And the best cameo:
When, in multiplayer mode, all players have full life, you have the "rupees fever" with a new music. This music is a remix of the power-ups theme from Link's Awakening, listen carefully!

I had this problem too. Just be patient, very patient. And when you finally get Vaati down, push A to hit him with the sword as fast as you can... If you are quickly enought, you will only need to take Vaati down two times with the bombs.
I didn't remember having this problem on the original GBA FS, but I do remember this same kind of problem in The Minish Cap!
FSA's Vaati required good timing too, but it was a piece of cake compared to this.

giggas

zigg said:
I'm pretty much always fighting him on my own, even with other players... ;)

Just toss the bombs into the whirlwind and remember to detonate them when they get near his body.

Wait... I can detonate the bomb?

giggas

ShironRedshift said:
Yes--press Y again after a Bomb has been placed to force it to explode.

Haha, well now I feel like an idiot. *Should* be a piece of cake now. Thanks for the tips everyone.

My boyfriend and I were playing two player today and for some reason we were getting a lot of "Communication Errors".

We had only played the tutorial level and the forest level back when the game was released for download and now we hopped back into it and immediately started get these errors.

A google search brought up a few people who were having this issue but not too many and no obvious commonalities.

Has anyone else here experienced this?

rpmurphy

Incitemaybe said:
My boyfriend and I were playing two player today and for some reason we were getting a lot of "Communication Errors".

We had only played the tutorial level and the forest level back when the game was released for download and now we hopped back into it and immediately started get these errors.

A google search brought up a few people who were having this issue but not too many and no obvious commonalities.

Has anyone else here experienced this?
Is there a possibility of wireless interference in the vicinity where you played the game? For example, did you try playing elsewhere? Also, is it happening with other local play games as well or only Four Swords?

By the way, Nintendo has a forum for tech support which might help: http://techforums.nintendo.com/index.jspa

At first I thought it might have been the ps3 controller.........that was the only thing on (Netflix).

It hasn't happened before with other games, or even Four Swords......it also hasn't happened again after turning off the Ps3 and Tv completely.

We just got to the World of Memories.....awesome :)

So we've opened up the realm of memories and we picked the Triforce on the game map and then we are prompted to pick a door...neither of us picks a door, the blue door to the right gets picked for us.

We play through the Link to the Past level and stop playing.

We return to the game, pick the Triforce and get prompted to pick a door again when the blue door to the right is again picked with no input from us taking us to the Link to the Past stage again.

Am I supposed to be able to pick a door? Do we have to play the realm of memories back to back?

zigg

Incitemaybe said:
Am I supposed to be able to pick a door? Do we have to play the realm of memories back to back?

IIRC, once you clear LTTP and let it save, you gain access to the next realm.

zigg said:
IIRC, once you clear LTTP and let it save, you gain access to the next realm.
We had finished that level and (I believe) let it save last play session.

Coming back to the game it made us play it again. I take it that means somehow we didn't let it save last time?

So I completed the main quest, unlocked all 3 Realm of Memory Doors and did every level int hat, but now I don't know what to do. I have achievements missing on ym save file (A moon-ish looking one, and something else too, and the Sky Palace doesn't have all 3 squares 'filled up' (if you get me...)... what do I need to do? Do I have to collect so many rupees, or do something else, or what?

You need to get 3000 rupees in the three regular levels. Then beat Vaati. Then play the levels again and get 5000 rupees (which is a chore in single player since there's no rupee fever). Finally, beat Vaati again.

The Hurricane Spin is unlocked by beating the Hero's Trial levels.

donny2112

zigg said:
Curious--has anyone here done that? We bailed because it wasn't fun for us.

Play it single-player and spam the invincibility of your non-controlled partner (i.e. switch back-and-forth precipitously). It is not easy. It is a chore. The ending/pre-end "bonus" nearly kills you half the time. Just do it to finish the game and to say you did it. :lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I got my daughter to download it to her DSi, and the two of us played together a few times.

I never bothered getting my kids into Zelda, but this game definitely got my younger one hooked. She asks to play pretty often, and will play single player on her own if I'm not around.

That's pretty damn impressive considering she barely picks her DSi up ever, since she's gotten a cell phone and laptop.

Esiquio

Downloaded this and was playing it a lot with my 7 year-old this morning. I'm on the 3DS and she's on the DSi. The screen for the DSi is noticeably cleaner, the blacks are blacker, etc. I ran it in "native resolution mode" by holding down Start when running it and the "native resolution" is waaaaay smaller than the normal DS screen. It's weird.

Also, Manhandla is ridiculously hard...it keeps spitting and attacking during the part where you each have to pull a side. It almost feels like a glitch, haha.

Roto13

The original resolution mode on 3DS is smaller than a DSi screen because it has more dots per inch. The Lite, DSi, and XL screens all have the same number of pixels of various sizes, but the 3DS has more smaller pixels.

Esiquio

The original resolution mode on 3DS is smaller than a DSi screen because it has more dots per inch. The Lite, DSi, and XL screens all have the same number of pixels of various sizes, but the 3DS has more smaller pixels.

Your avatar is terrible, but you are a great poster here. Thanks, man.

womp

Sorry to bump this thread but my five year old and I just beat this together and are moving onto the retro bonus stages. He cannot get enough. So glad I downloaded it to every DS in the household at the time. Nintendo has created a little Zelda fan thanks to this game. :)

13%2B-%2B1

Roto13

Sorry to bump this thread but my five year old and I just beat this together and are moving onto the retro bonus stages. He cannot get enough. So glad I downloaded it to every DS in the household at the time. Nintendo has created a little Zelda fan thanks to this game. :)

13%2B-%2B1

That's adorable. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

13%2B-%2B1

Awesome. We did the same thing. Downloaded it to every DSi / 3DS, even the retired systems. I hope they do make it available again for those that missed it.

womp

Awesome. We did the same thing. Downloaded it to every DSi / 3DS, even the retired systems. I hope they do make it available again for those that missed it.

It is so much fun. I didn't even bother messing with it in single player...Glad I waited. Had a ball. Shame there isn't more to it. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It is so much fun. I didn't even bother messing with it in single player...Glad I waited. Had a ball. Shame there isn't more to it. :(

Did you play the Gamecube Four Swords? It's really a lot more polished.. and it seemed like there was a lot more to do. Having to have the GBAs and cables makes it a pain, but it's worth it if you have (or can track down) the pieces.

womp

Did you play the Gamecube Four Swords? It's really a lot more polished.. and it seemed like there was a lot more to do. Having to have the GBAs and cables makes it a pain, but it's worth it if you have (or can track down) the pieces.

Nah, I didn't really get into the Gamecube much at the time...I knew of the game and even had multiple GBAs, but of no one that would have been interested to play it. My wife was happy enough with Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion - Both of which she is thrilled are coming to the 3DS this year. hehe

This was such a great little freebie and it looks absolutely amazing on the DSi XL, not as much so on the 3DS XL obviously. :p

zigg

Of interest: after playing and loving the GBA version with friends just before the DSi version was announced, we naturally dusted off my copy of FSA next, which I'd originally played and enjoyed in a very cooperative mode with my wife… we found it breaks down in a way FS doesn't.

Maybe it's the much larger landmass, maybe it's the complexity of the levels… whatever it is, I only recommend FSA for small numbers of people quite intent on working together. FS is a much stronger achievement overall (though its own strength only really extends through the original levels; the new levels and the whole 1P mode thing are kinda crap.)

Volotaire

So I've just found out, to my extreme disappointment, that Nintendo has not placed the title on the eShop after its brief return. I would have paid for it if it was on the eShop. A shame.

zigg

Wow, this thread is 2.5 years old and I was the last poster.

So I've just found out, to my extreme disappointment, that Nintendo has not placed the title on the eShop after its brief return. I would have paid for it if it was on the eShop. A shame.
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I found the other day that our DSi XL somehow never managed to get Four Swords on it. A tragedy.

Top Bottom