• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

Emitan

*insert me bitching about rather paying for an online version instead of an offline only version for free here*

MarkusRJR

AbsoluteZero said:
57V0P.jpg

Now if I just had people to play with.
Oh my god. I already have a DSi and a 3DS but I somehow still want a DSi XL. Those screens look glorious. It'd be such a waste of money though. D:

Yaceka said:
Oh my god. I already have a DSi and a 3DS but I somehow still want a DSi XL. Those screens look glorious. It'd be such a waste of money though. D:

Hold out for future price drops. The only reason I own the DSi there is because they were discontinuing the White, which is the color I wanted; I managed to get a deal on it at Best Buy last Christmas for around $70.

Tonight's the first night its been out of the box.

fernoca

Yaceka said:
If you're in the US and have a Radio Shack around, some have them on clearance for $99. Don't know if it expired yet, though; since it was a few months ago.

Salsa

Yaceka said:

my XL got a dust particle under the touchscreen after like 5 months of use, real bummer since ive learned from my PSP that its best to leave it alone (more dust is bound to get in if you open it). Its like a big annoying dead pixel. This is the first time ive used it in a long while.

all im saying is.. IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

I love the DS though, and i plan on getting a DSi eventually (probably at the same time i get a 3DS since it'll be on a travel or something, fuckin local prices) to catch them all™

Downloaded it after work on my 3DS and then had my brother in law over after he downloaded it on his DSi and we had an absolute blast. I'm glad we played through all the tutorials first. We played through Sea of Trees and then part of the Death Mountain stage until his battery died. This game really is some great fan service from Nintendo. My only small gripe is that I was a little envious oh how much better it looked on the DSi screen, not like that was a surprise of course. Anyways, it was the first time either of us had played Four Swords and I think we're gonna be addicted. Love how the co-op strategy is balanced with the mad dash to get the most rupees.

Hylian7

I got through the LttP and am currently playing the Link's Awakening level.

Spoilers for LA Level:
HOLY CRAP CHAIN CHOMP ITEM!

fernoca

Tenbatsu said:
Nintendo increased the spaces on the 3DS home menu to 120?
???
The square/icons on the menu?

You can change the size of the icons by clicking the squares on the menu. More spaces are added depending on what you have, from 60 to 120 (maybe also depends on the size of the SD Card).

Mik2121

Man, not many people are talking about the game itself. I guess it's actually true that GAF only talks about games, don't play them...

Oh well, anyway... I just had my first Game Over screen in the game. Such a bullshit level it's not even funny. I was fighting against 5 ice wizards and one of the guys with the chainball. All of this on a slippery surface. It made me rage like nothing before!!!!1 grhfhghghhhhh...

Basically I would try to kill the wizards and one of them would freeze me, then the guy with the chainball would get close and keep hitting me while I try to unfreeze. Then I'd die, and change to my other Link while respawning only to get frozen again and killed. Rinse and repeat. The slippery glass surface was what made it all so hard, because I'd see a wizard show up and I would try to get there but by then he would teleport somewhere else. BULLSHIT!.

I killed 3 of them but by the time I was about to kill the guy with the chainball, I ran out of rupees and got the Game Over screen. FUCKING.RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I've put in some time with this now. I basically just finished the LTTP levels. I kind of have to agree with what some one else said earlier, and that the non-Nintendo developed parts, just aren't as good. It felt like the entire LTTP section was, super simple puzzle, fight a bunch of spawning enemies in a closed area, super simple puzzle, fight a bunch of spawning enemies in a closed area, wash, rinse and repeat. Which was a little disappointing, because I don't look to the LoZ for that, I look to it for the puzzles.

It was definitely cool of them to do this though. I never did get a chance to get some one who also had a GBA, and a LTTP to sit down and play through it back when it came out. So it's nice to finally be able to do so here. It shows that the game wasn't made with SP in mind though. I guess I kind of wish the SP aspect got some tweaks just to make it work a little better, feel a little smoother.

Hylian7

Shin Johnpv said:
So I've put in some time with this now. I basically just finished the LTTP levels. I kind of have to agree with what some one else said earlier, and that the non-Nintendo developed parts, just aren't as good. It felt like the entire LTTP section was, super simple puzzle, fight a bunch of spawning enemies in a closed area, super simple puzzle, fight a bunch of spawning enemies in a closed area, wash, rinse and repeat. Which was a little disappointing, because I don't look to the LoZ for that, I look to it for the puzzles.

It was definitely cool of them to do this though. I never did get a chance to get some one who also had a GBA, and a LTTP to sit down and play through it back when it came out. So it's nice to finally be able to do so here. It shows that the game wasn't made with SP in mind though. I guess I kind of wish the SP aspect got some tweaks just to make it work a little better, feel a little smoother.
I kind of think the opposite. I just got through all 3 versions of the Realm of Memories and I actually thought it was better than the rest of the games. The puzzles seemed more thought out than the rest of the game was in these levels, especially in the Link's Awakening and original LoZ levels.

By the way, Capcom actually co-developed the original Four Swords alongside Nintendo. Like I said before, I think the Grezzo parts were better. I have yet to unlock Hero's Trial yet though.

Medalion

Banned
I've never played the GBA version, just the Gamecube version

So far this game seems very free and fun, different than the usual Zelda flavor

I finally got bored of the Tutorial Level and headed out to do some real missions

Having a 2nd Link following me around reminds me of Pikmin

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Weird. I think I actually got stuck in the second Link's Awakening level. I needed to jump over a 6 block gap and couldn't make it, nor could I open a locked shutter... yet I had checked out everything else in the level.

I wonder how randomly generated these dungeons are... I ask as the LTTP level (first one) seemed pretty "set."

DavidDayton said:
Weird. I think I actually got stuck in the second Link's Awakening level. I needed to jump over a 6 block gap and couldn't make it, nor could I open a locked shutter... yet I had checked out everything else in the level.

I wonder how randomly generated these dungeons are... I ask as the LTTP level (first one) seemed pretty "set."

The retro dungeons seem to be set in stone (except for chest and rupee placement), unlike the others.

The way that the dungeons work is each zone has a selection of levels that the game chooses from (maybe 3 or 4) and elements of each dungeon are randomized, not the whole thing. The retro dungeons are an exception in that the level design is completely set in stone.

Mik2121

DavidDayton said:

You might think you're stuck, but trust me, you aren't. There's a way out of every dungeon, even if you think you've checked every wall and everything.

If you can post a screenshot of the level itself, I might be able to remember it and help you out.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Nuclear Muffin said:
The retro dungeons seem to be set in stone (except for chest and rupee placement), unlike the others.

The way that the dungeons work is each zone has a selection of levels that the game chooses from (maybe 3 or 4) and elements of each dungeon are randomized, not the whole thing. The retro dungeons are an exception in that the level design is completely set in stone.

Odd. I had the feeling the LA level was somewhat randomized...

Mik2121 said:
You might think you're stuck, but trust me, you aren't. There's a way out of every dungeon, even if you think you've checked every wall and everything.
If you can post a screenshot of the level itself, I might be able to remember it and help you out.
Oh, I'll try it again later. Either I missed something obvious or I actually had a weird glitch. The former is more likely.

Berksy

Oh well. Not that great but still a reason to play with my DSi. And this game is easy. Especially if you play through tutorial. I usually suck at Zelda games but cleared forest and fire stages without dying once.

And it seems x4 fun if played multiplayer. :(

Javier

Tenbatsu said:
Nintendo increased the spaces on the 3DS home menu to 120?
It keeps growing as you keep adding games and stuff to your menu. According to the manual, the limit is 300.

Mik2121

DavidDayton said:
Odd. I had the feeling the LA level was somewhat randomized...

Oh, I'll try it again later. Either I missed something obvious or I actually had a weird glitch. The former is more likely.
Most likely. I just played again the LTTP level and it was the same. I had no issues getting through all three levels.

You are probably missing a hidden path somewhere (there are a bunch).

EDIT: Argh! Wait, you said the Link's Awakening one. I will play it again, but yeah, you are probably just missing something stupid. I remember I got stuck some five minutes once wonder what to do, and I discovered it by luck. You have moved the big diamond around, right?

Hylian7

zigg said:
Also present in Vaati's Palace. Whoever nabs that item is basically guaranteed to win the round...
Really? I don't remember that being in the GBA version. Is it new in this verison?

Roto13

Mik2121 said:
Uhm... hold on, let me try it myself...

*plays around with his 3DS*

Uhm... nop. It's finely placed. It works.

Wait, have you used it?
Don't bother. They don't get it. You and me, though, we're clearly the smartest people on GAF for being able to use a directional pad.
Mik2121 said:
Man, not many people are talking about the game itself. I guess it's actually true that GAF only talks about games, don't play them...

Oh well, anyway... I just had my first Game Over screen in the game. Such a bullshit level it's not even funny. I was fighting against 5 ice wizards and one of the guys with the chainball. All of this on a slippery surface. It made me rage like nothing before!!!!1 grhfhghghhhhh...

Basically I would try to kill the wizards and one of them would freeze me, then the guy with the chainball would get close and keep hitting me while I try to unfreeze. Then I'd die, and change to my other Link while respawning only to get frozen again and killed. Rinse and repeat. The slippery glass surface was what made it all so hard, because I'd see a wizard show up and I would try to get there but by then he would teleport somewhere else. BULLSHIT!.

I killed 3 of them but by the time I was about to kill the guy with the chainball, I ran out of rupees and got the Game Over screen. FUCKING.RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Being able to switch Links in single player is really cheap. In a tight spot? Press a button and you're on the other side of the room.

Mik2121

Roto13 said:
Don't bother. They don't get it. You and me, though, we're clearly the smartest people on GAF for being able to use a directional pad.
Hahaha :p
Roto13 said:
Being able to switch Links in single player is really cheap. In a tight spot? Press a button and you're on the other side of the room.
Man, I know I usually do that but this part.. ughh. have you reached it? It's seriously annoying because there are LOTS of ice wizards and they keep throwing frozen balls that freeze you on every direction. So before you know, both Links are frozen, and you run out of life so damn fast there it's not even funny.

Like, the whole level is kind of 'cheap' but that one room is just.. ugh... :(

Roto13

EvilMario said:
All three hundred slots will be mine eventually!
Honestly, with the Virtual Console, I can see myself filling up a lot of those slots. My menu doubled in size when the NES Ambassador Games came out.

zigg

Hylian7 said:
Really? I don't remember that being in the GBA version. Is it new in this verison?
Nope! My "friend" was torturing me with that thing on GBA several months ago.

I considered a house rule outlawing its use. :lol

Roto13

Is it hidden or something? I didn't see it in Vaati's palace. (Though I guess the randomization might have something to do with it.)

zigg

Roto13 said:
Is it hidden or something? I didn't see it in Vaati's palace. (Though I guess the randomization might have something to do with it.)

My daughter and I found it last night again on a silver-key run, it was half-hidden but not seriously difficult to find. It doesn't appear reliably, though; short of the epic Hero's-Key-level Vaati run you're less likely to see it than not.

Berksy

DavidDayton said:

I think i am at the place you are stuck now.

Use magnets. Equip both Link with magnet and make the one you don't control grind his way to the button on the ground.

Jackano

Played around the new levels.
This is truely very good stuff here. So much creativity and fun moments. I always loved FS and FSA, so I'm really having a blast here. I can't believe this was free.

Frak the golden remote, we got a good Zelda anniversary thanks to FS25/FSAE.

This is two good remakes so far this year, and a full original game is coming. Hype is rising!

What am I doing wrong in the LA level?
I'm on the second part with 3 keys and one unopened door but have no clue how to open it. Only things a live are those spike things that blow up.

Edit:Just saw the above so forget this post lol.

basik

been playing this by myself all day...up to part 2 of the nes zelda so far. I think its great for a free game. never played it before even though I had the gba zelda..noone to play it with.

when was this first announced for dsiware? just curious if nintendo was working on this as sort of a answer for monster hunter's local play before they secured MH for 3DS.

dwu8991

Banned
Medalion said:
I've never played the GBA version, just the Gamecube version

So far this game seems very free and fun, different than the usual Zelda flavor

I finally got bored of the Tutorial Level and headed out to do some real missions

Having a 2nd Link following me around reminds me of Pikmin

I'm glad I'm not the only who thought of Pikmin! Maybe they should make Pikmin as an adventure game rather than a RTS!

basik

fuck this graveyard bouncy castle in nes zelda part 2...angry nintendo nerd could do a good vid on this...ARRRRGH! it looks like I need another key but it wont let me out of bouncy spring hell...

edit: made it out

Just started some two player this evening and got trough the forest level, I have very little memory of this game thank goodness, though I remember it being extremely short.
I'm happy there are extra levels!

Top Bottom