• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Four Swords (3DS/DSi) |OT| Multi-player Zelda now with single-player, too!

Roto13

Finished the retro levels this evening and broke 30,000 rupees. I'll give the rest of the new levels a try tomorrow.

Mik2121

Incitemaybe said:
Just started some two player this evening and got trough the forest level, I have very little memory of this game thank goodness, though I remember it being extremely short.
I'm happy there are extra levels!
There's a bunch of levels, yeah.

As far as I can remember...

- Tutorial Levels (the one with the ? sign is quite lengthy)
- Forest world (3 levels including boss)
- Volcano world (3 levels including boss)
- Frozen world (3 levels including boss)
- Sky world (3 levels including boss)
- Memories world
- - 3 SNES levels
- - 3 NES Levels
- - 3 GB Levels
- Extra difficulty tower
- - 9 Levels divided in 3 worlds

So yeah, that's 26 levels, 4 bosses and the tutorial stuff.

trinest

Guys how do you kill the thing which switches your color on you to the other color. Right now I've got it to the stage were its switches from the two colors on its up and down section.

Its annoying me to the shits.

Mik2121

trinest said:
Guys how do you kill the thing which switches your color on you to the other color. Right now I've got it to the stage were its switches from the two colors on its up and down section.

You mean the thing that has four small sphere things and each one is of another color? Just remember the color of each part and attack with the Link of said color in his part. So if for example, with your Red (or blue or purple) Link can see a green sphere on the left, change to the Green Link and attack the left side, even if you only see a sphere colored differently on another place.

rpmurphy

trinest said:

Just hit it where the corresponding color is supposed to be. If your swing touches one of the other sides, you get hurt, so be precise.

So I just found the hardest enemy in Zelda 1 in this game. 4 or 5 of them, in a small area. Killed me. :( I was in
area 3 of the expert mode dungeon's door 1.
My first game over, too.

Also, I'm amazed by how much alike this game is to Minish Cap. Vaati's area,
Palace of Winds, is a level in Minish Cap. It even looks similar to the one in Minish Cap.
And of course, Minish Cap uses the same art style, the Gnat Hat, the Four Sword, etc.

Hylian7

How is the Hero's Trial for those that have it? I have yet to unlock it, but don't really feel like trudging through the game again by myself for it right now. I'm going to play multiplayer on it with someone tomorrow and I should unlock it then though.

Mik2121

Hylian7 said:
How is the Hero's Trial for those that have it? I have yet to unlock it, but don't really feel like trudging through the game again by myself for it right now. I'm going to play multiplayer on it with someone tomorrow and I should unlock it then though.
Is the Hero's Trial the 'hard-as-fuck' (sorry) new world that shows up when you get 30k rupees? I have the game in Japanese and I don't know the English titles, but I'll assume it is..

If so, yeah... it's quite hard. The first door (to the first 3 maps) is alright-ish.. but the second door.. wow. They definitely went nuts there. I fear what might be waiting on the third one.

basik

so after you beat memory land it looks like we have to
go through the first 3 areas again and get atleast 3000 rupees to get a golden key for each. I just wasted a bunch of time doing the forest again and came up 298x short cuz I didnt know and she tells me I dont have enough...grrr

zigg

Mik2121 said:

- Memories world
- - 3 SNES levels
- - 3 NES Levels
- - 3 GB Levels
- Extra difficulty tower

For the original game's worlds, Vaati's Palace expands if you have the better keys and select the other doors. I want to say it goes to 12 floors? It's pretty epic. I don't remember if the other worlds change for the key quests though, other than the higher Rupee requirements... I truly am getting senile, heh.

Played Realm of Memories with a couple friends last night. Nostalgia aside, the LTTP level in particular is overreliant on enemy rooms, but the rest were decent.

zigg

Can't seem to update the above post on my phone, but the bosses do get harder in the higher levels too.

Mik2121 said:

- Memories world
- - 3 SNES levels
- - 3 NES Levels
- - 3 GB Levels
- Extra difficulty tower

Oh and the first 4 worlds feature levels that are partially randomised as well!

Mik2121

zigg said:
For the original game's worlds, Vaati's Palace expands if you have the better keys and select the other doors. I want to say it goes to 12 floors? It's pretty epic. I don't remember if the other worlds change for the key quests though, other than the higher Rupee requirements... I truly am getting senile, heh.

Played Realm of Memories with a couple friends last night. Nostalgia aside, the LTTP level in particular is overreliant on enemy rooms, but the rest were decent.
Oh, didn't know that, that's pretty cool!. How do I get the golden keys? I believe I have mostly all silver keys? At least they look silver, anyway.

But yeah, on Vaati's Palace, I have access to two doors, but there's a third door I just can't access, I guess that's where you need the golden keys.

zigg

Mik2121 said:
Oh, didn't know that, that's pretty cool!. How do I get the golden keys? I believe I have mostly all silver keys? At least they look silver, anyway.

On GBA, it's been first run @ 1,000 Rupees to get silver, second @ 3,000 to get golden, and third @ 5,000 to get the "rainbow" Hero's keys. i.e., my friends and I easily racked up 6,000+ last night in each world, but since it was our first run we couldn't get the higher-level keys. We have to go back first...

See:
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_Key
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Key
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hero's_Key

Mik2121 said:
But yeah, on Vaati's Palace, I have access to two doors, but there's a third door I just can't access, I guess that's where you need the golden keys.

And you don't have all golden keys at least? I'm confused. That's what I would expect if you had all golden or a mix of golden and Hero's keys from the first three levels. Door #1 for silver, #2 for golden, #3 for Hero.

I wonder if they changed up some of the progression in this version.

Jocchan said:
Can you get the Hero Keys in single player?

I would assume so, just by scoring 5,000 on a single run on any of the first three worlds, but I don't know for sure.

gerudoman

I'm stuck in the single player. I'm on the Ice looking cavern (I don't remember its name) and I don't know how to beat the Slug once you've pushed it onto the ice and some colors balls appear around it, it asks me to attack paying attention to the colors, but no matter which Link I use, I get electrocuted.

oatmeal

Banned
Uhhhh...is there no suspend play on the 3DS? I press home and it wants to shut down.

Why is this happening? That's retarded.

Luigi87

oatmeal said:
Uhhhh...is there no suspend play on the 3DS? I press home and it wants to shut down.

No DSiWare game can be suspended to the home menu. Your only option is to close the 3DS.

oatmeal said:

It's a DSi game. Have you not played a single DS game on your 3DS yet? DS/DSi games do not allow you to suspend play.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
zigg said:
I would assume so, just by scoring 5,000 on a single run on any of the first three worlds, but I don't know for sure.
I see, thanks.

I am having an issue which is really turning me off...

I have a Nintendo DSi and 3DS. I downloaded Four Swords on my 3DS no problem! A long with the ambassador games etc...

But when it comes to my Nintendo DSi ( after trying to update my DSi to go to the shop channel like 5 times... it would keep failing in the middle of downloading) I got on to the DSi shop channel.

It will not let me download Zelda! It goes though all the correct motions, while downloading it just disconnects! Everytime. I tried changing my router so my DSi would go though DMZ mode... I also restarted my modem and router a few times.

It connects.... (takes forever,) I go to get zelda... and boom. I also have DSi points to spend... I spent 500 on tetris and it bombed too!

So now I have wasted 500 and still can connect but I get kicked off.

Any ideas??? It's really pissing me off.... Last game I got was Shante, didnt give me a damn problem then.......

Roto13

You didn't "waste" 500 points. Tetris is still yours and you can download it whenever you get your wi-fi figured out.

Or when you go to Starbucks or something.

oatmeal

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
It's a DSi game. Have you not played a single DS game on your 3DS yet? DS/DSi games do not allow you to suspend play.
It's a downloadable title, though. I wasn't aware that it wouldn't act like the other downloaded titles I have.

they are all VC, so I guess I didn't have any DSi software.

Doesn't make it any better. With how long the levels are, it's quite annoying to go sleep mode or bust.

Had this released a year or two ago, sure. But since it is new, and the 3DS is out, it makes sense to give it some of the functionality.

Just annoying. And I know, 'free' and all that. Still annoying.

Why would you do that? said:
Also, I'm amazed by how much alike this game is to Minish Cap. Vaati's area,
Palace of Winds, is a level in Minish Cap. It even looks similar to the one in Minish Cap.
And of course, Minish Cap uses the same art style, the Gnat Hat, the Four Sword, etc.
it's not too amazing. Capcom were developing Minish Cap, and Nintendo asked them to put it on hold to make Four Swords, so they used the same sprites they had already developed, and tied the plot of the two games together. after finishing Four Swords they went back and finished Minish Cap.

zigg

gerudoman said:
I'm stuck in the single player. I'm on the Ice looking cavern (I don't remember its name) and I don't know how to beat the Slug once you've pushed it onto the ice and some colors balls appear around it, it asks me to attack paying attention to the colors, but no matter which Link I use, I get electrocuted.

Stand back a little bit more. Your sword is touching either the center or one of the other balls.

Best position is what looks like you're just scratching it with the tip of your sword.

piercedveil said:
how do you save this game?

Auto-saves at the end of each world. It says as much...

M3d10n

oatmeal said:
It's a downloadable title, though. I wasn't aware that it wouldn't act like the other downloaded titles I have.

they are all VC, so I guess I didn't have any DSi software.

Doesn't make it any better. With how long the levels are, it's quite annoying to go sleep mode or bust.

Had this released a year or two ago, sure. But since it is new, and the 3DS is out, it makes sense to give it some of the functionality.

Just annoying. And I know, 'free' and all that. Still annoying.
"Giving it some of the functionality" means it wouldn't be a DSi game, which means it would be even harder to get a local game going.

Dave Long

Banned
SnakeSlashRO said:
I am having an issue which is really turning me off...

I have a Nintendo DSi and 3DS. I downloaded Four Swords on my 3DS no problem! A long with the ambassador games etc...

But when it comes to my Nintendo DSi ( after trying to update my DSi to go to the shop channel like 5 times... it would keep failing in the middle of downloading) I got on to the DSi shop channel.

It will not let me download Zelda! It goes though all the correct motions, while downloading it just disconnects! Everytime. I tried changing my router so my DSi would go though DMZ mode... I also restarted my modem and router a few times.

It connects.... (takes forever,) I go to get zelda... and boom. I also have DSi points to spend... I spent 500 on tetris and it bombed too!

So now I have wasted 500 and still can connect but I get kicked off.

Any ideas??? It's really pissing me off.... Last game I got was Shante, didnt give me a damn problem then.......
I have had this problem with the DSi and my router. What router do you have?

The way we combat it is to only ever have ONE DSi connected to the Internet at any one time, and that includes a 3DS. No one in the room can move (we have no idea if this helps, but every time we all sit still, downloads complete fine) and YOUR SYSTEM MUST NOT MOVE! That last part is crucial.

You still have Tetris. You can redownload anything you bought, so just try again until you get it.

Anyway, I have a D-Link router. DGL-4500 IIRC.

oatmeal

Banned
M3d10n said:
"Giving it some of the functionality" means it wouldn't be a DSi game, which means it would be even harder to get a local game going.

Dang. Didn't know that's how it worked, I never had a DSi, so I wasn't sure how the menus and whatnot worked.

Sucks :(

two restarts in the forest area and im stuck. they presented an area where i need pegasus boots and they didnt give me any. other area i fought these red-legged one-eyed guys who clam up when hit. i fought them for 30 minutes.......none of them died.

Roto13

50 minutes to do the first set of levels in the Hero's Trial or whatever it's called. Nobody can tell me the saving system in this game is practical. I was ready to stop playing after the first level but I didn't want to play for 15-20 minutes again next time.

MooMoo

Roto13 said:
50 minutes to do the first set of levels in the Hero's Trial or whatever it's called. Nobody can tell me the saving system in this game is practical. I was ready to stop playing after the first level but I didn't want to play for 15-20 minutes again next time.
How do you save? I thought it was automatic but I exited out and lost all my progress -.-"

Roto13

MooMoo said:
How do you save? I thought it was automatic but I exited out and lost all my progress -.-"
It saves automatically at the end of a world. If you return to the world map (without quitting) your game has saved.

MooMoo

Roto13 said:
It saves automatically at the end of a world. If you return to the world map (without quitting) your game has saved.
Oh wow, that's pretty absurd lol. It took me 12 minutes to just do the first warp of the intro world in single player, and that placed seemed to have a million different warps. In retrospect, I guess it was silly of me to assume this game had automatic saving.

zigg

Roto13 said:

On the GBA, it worked for multi, with the single exception of a communication failure making trekking for 45 minutes through the Hero's run of Vaati's Palace a bit painful—but other than that, it was just fine. We were all there together to marathon it together.

Basically, the SP mode in this game is crap. It needed to be given serious consideration including level design and progression and they basically said "welp you guys wanted to play it so bad, here's a second Link and a handful of things to make it just barely possible, have fun on the 2P level sets"—without actually giving much if any consideration to making it playable.

MooMoo said:
Oh wow, that's pretty absurd lol. It took me 12 minutes to just do the first warp of the intro world in single player, and that placed seemed to have a million different warps. In retrospect, I guess it was silly of me to assume this game had automatic saving.

To be fair, that's the tutorial. Normal level progression isn't anything like that area.

Gregorn

I love this menu music. I remember a whole 9 years ago selecting Four Swords just to hear the jammin' music and never being able to actually play it.

GeekyDad

zigg said:
To be fair, that's the tutorial. Normal level progression isn't anything like that area.

So, do you have to complete all of the tutorial areas in one shot? I did a couple of the warps, exited out of one, but now the obstacles reappeared when I went back to the game. Never played it before, so I'm a little confused by all the warp areas.

Hahaha, I love how weird this game sounds. The game plays great, but the sound is just weird. Especially the music. It's so un-Zelda like, and I love it. <3

Spiffy_1st said:
I love this menu music. I remember a whole 9 years ago selecting Four Swords just to hear the jammin' music and never being able to actually play it.

I did the same thing. Now I finally get to play it. So good!

Roto13

GeekyDad said:
So, do you have to complete all of the tutorial areas in one shot? I did a couple of the warps, exited out of one, but now the obstacles reappeared when I went back to the game. Never played it before, so I'm a little confused by all the warp areas.
I don't think the tutorial level actually has an exit.

jgkspsx

BTW, if you've never played this before, DO THE TUTORIALS. At least the first two and the magnet. There are new mechanics that can be hard to figure out on your own. I got stuck on the fire-sparking in the forest.

Single player is fun for puzzles, but pretty miserable for combat. The moblins with spears are much harder to hit than I remember anything outside of Zelda II being. The critter at the end of the LTTP stage, whose head you have to attack with one color and whittle him down, and who bounces you away with every hit, and who regenerates very quickly? He sucks.

Lack of a quicksave is awful, almost unforgivable.

If I knew you had to play through the game three times, I wouldn't have spent so much time cutting grass. Jerks.

Don't want to seem too negative, but I found the game a bit boring and a drag so far. Been playing with my sister, I just hope it picks up soon. I knew from before it wasnt a normal Zelda game with an overworld/dungeon and set item design. However I expected the collecting rubees to be more fun.

Roto13

Played the second set of levels in the Hero's Trial and got a game over and lost an hour. So fuck that. I'm done.

Hylian7

My girlfriend and I got our asses kicked a few times by the first set of Hero's Trial levels.
We got to the third once, died on the room full of Darknuts. The next time we got to the same place again, barely scraped by past the Darknuts, then we saw all the flying tiles and weren't sure what to do next. I saw a Gibdo on the ice and started going for it, and my girlfriend just died (putting us down to 64 rupees), then I got hit by a tile right after that.

The Grezzo levels are definitely better than what was in the original. I really liked the setup of the Hero's Trial puzzles. They do throw you into hordes of enemies frequently, but these situations take teamwork to actually get out of them successfully. That part with the controllable platform, Moblins, and eyes was pretty cool, as well as the part where one person gets stuck on the island with the fence around it, with the horde of those enemies that you have to throw to the other person to kill. Our solution for that ended up being interesting since we went in there not properly equipped. She would get stuck in the fence, and throw the enemies to me from the opposite side while I shot them midair with arrows.

Top Bottom