• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeno Clash II |OT| Punching the crap out of weird looking things

According to the developers playing the tutorial (separate menu button below 'new game') is incredibly important, even for ZC1 veterans. It contains instructions on advanced moves that you won't be able to pull of without playing it.

Can't wait for Giant Bomb to say "fuck that" to the tutorial and complain about it lol

This is what they said about the tutorial being separate to the main game, which is smart:
The reason the tutorial is kept apart from the main story mode was because in ZC1 players would forget the advanced moves and play the rest of the game with no way to remember them. In ZC2 you can save your progress and try out the tutorial as many times as you want. The tutorial has some advanced techniques that will require practice and timing, and going through them to refresh combat skills can be a good way to make the game more enjoyable.​

MNC

Guys.

Seriously.

Zeno Clash unlocks in 2 hours and I'd like a two pack with a US people person thing. Anybody still going? :/

tjohn86

Picked this up. Really wish the Ultimate Edition of Zeno Clash 1 came to Steam. All those extra goodies going unplayed.

antitrop

Didn't care for the first one, pre-ordered this one anyway.

It will probably be fun to take screenshots of, the art style is fantastic.

antitrop

For anyone who enjoys fucking around with Unreal Engine 3 INI files, the config for this game is located in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ZC2Game\Config.

To set the resolution higher than 1920x1080 (in-game options would go no higher) I had to change ResX= ResY= in ZC2SystemSettings.ini.

Getting locked 30fps at 3840x2160 on a GTX 590. No aliasing, graphics look pretty decent.

Still trying to figure out how to enable the debug camera.

Having a hard time getting this four hit combo to work in the tutorial. I can get the first two punches (although unreliably), but after that I can never get the third hit in.

I hope it's not a a problem with my mouse.

*edit* I can't even do it with my 360 controller.

I'm at work now, but I just queued up the installation at home. Did I read right that it's less than 300MB? Seems abnormally small.

antitrop

[ACE] cbordeu [developer] 1 hour ago
The FOV cannot be changed in ZC due to the way the combat system is designed. The FOV is exactly the same as in ZC1 and it couldn't be changed in ZC1 either.

With regards to Metamoq's model and texture - I don't think you remember how he looked in ZC1. That 3D model is quite a lot more detailed and with higher resolution than the original.

This is going to be a huge fucking problem. The FoV on PC is like... I don't even know how to describe it. TotalBiscuit won't be having a good time with this one.

I played ZC1 on 360 and didn't have a problem with it, but now playing ZC2 on PC, I don't know if I can handle having it zoomed in so far.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
This is going to be a huge fucking problem. The FoV on PC is like... I don't even know how to describe it. TotalBiscuit won't be having a good time with this one.

I played ZC1 on 360 and didn't have a problem with it, but now playing ZC2 on PC, I don't know if I can handle having it zoomed in so far.

I didn't have a problem playing ZC1 on PC and I'm super allergic to narrow FoV, so your mileage may vary.

antitrop

I was talking to one of the devs on the Steam forum and apparently the developer console has been disabled, which is disappointing as hell considering even the first game had one.

I can't seem to manage any way to enable FoV options, noclip, camera lock, or any standard UE3 commands through bindings.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I was talking to one of the devs on the Steam forum and apparently the developer console has been disabled, which is disappointing as hell considering even the first game had one.

I can't seem to manage any way to enable FoV options, noclip, camera lock, or any standard UE3 commands through bindings.

No ini you can edit ?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've been looking and messing around with the game's configuration files for well over an hour, no luck.

I'm going to take a walk, the weather is very nice today, I'll come back to it later.

I saw your post above after I wrote that. All I can say is, it's been a looooooooooooong day at work.

Chain whip those civilians into shape!
ibovs5Rsv0OVG5.gif

I'm at work now, but I just queued up the installation at home. Did I read right that it's less than 300MB? Seems abnormally small.

When I first installed right away it was 210MB. Deleted the game and restarted Steam and it downloaded the full game. Weird glitch I guess.

When I first installed right away it was 210MB. Deleted the game and restarted Steam and it downloaded the full game. Weird glitch I guess.

Lemme log into my computer and see if that's the case.

Edit: Looks like that's what happened. Downloading it for real now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying the game so far, it's a nice advancement on ZC's mechanics and they've done very well in making the mechanics very smooth and it's pretty nicely done in transitioning between combos and moving between enemies. Very impressive. The story's pretty naff but then I'm in it purely for the punching!

As for the FOV I don't mind it as it is at all, however, it does this really irritating zooming in thing which I don't like at all when sprinting (and locked on I think ?)

Chain whip those civilians into shape!
ibovs5Rsv0OVG5.gif

OK, now that's class. Where did you get the chain from ?

jettpack

This game is everything I wanted and a bunch of stuff I didnt know i wanted. I am playing tourist. I cant stop taking screen shots. One of the most interesting, weirdest and disturbing worlds in any media. Thank you Ace Team

It begins...

l9fJHPU.jpg

How many PR reps have to die today?

The devs mentioned they're looking into it on the Steam forums, but they said that it wouldn't be as simple as just adding a slider because of the dynamic FOV in the fighting system. It is a bit narrow, but its not a huge issue.

Is the narrative structure the same in this one? Or is it less linear?

Only like an hour or so in and I'd say yes especially in regards to the first which was supremely linear. I mean, there's a fast travel system in the game, so there has to be at least some degree of non-linearity.

antitrop

The devs mentioned they're looking into it on the Steam forums, but they said that it wouldn't be as simple as just adding a slider because of the dynamic FOV in the fighting system. It is a bit narrow, but its not a huge issue.

Ya I know, I posted about it on this very page, even. I was more making reference towards TotalBiscuit's... rather bullish attitude towards narrow game FoVs and his incident with Elizabeth Tobey and The Darkness II.

jdl

Banned
Only like an hour or so in and I'd say yes especially in regards to the first which was supremely linear. I mean, there's a fast travel system in the game, so there has to be at least some degree of non-linearity.

Interesting... I'll have to look into this more. ZC1 had elements of genius. Kind of curious what else they can do with it.

Volcynika

Played a bit of the co-op, seems fine for the most part though the mic chat is buggy. I can hear my friend, but he can only hear me during cutscenes. It's weird. Also still getting used to the combat system. Hrms.

I don't have the game but I was going to recommend what I usually do...

Go to Docs\My Games\???\config\???Input.ini and adding a binding for the FOV:

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90")

If that doesn't work, I will not bother with the game.

Bob White

I don't have the game but I was going to recommend what I usually do...

Go to Docs\My Games\???\config\???Input.ini and adding a binding for the FOV:

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90")

If that doesn't work, I will not bother with the game.

Same. FOV is a big deal to me. Feel sick with narrow FOV.

Skyzard

Banned
Soon this will be mine, subbed. Good thing it's out on consoles, pcs down, hopefully it stands up on PS3...oh shit my lasers dead nooo ok, not quite soon then. Eventually. Looking forward to it though.

This has to be the most imaginative, surreal world I've encountered in a game since Neverhood. PC Screenschot Thread will go crazy over this, I've taken more screenshots than Dear Esther. And it's an actual open world (not as big as a GTA) with fast travel and some sidequests.

Everyone, go into the houses. Some fantastic characters.

Onpa and Averelo (Family Plaza)
iANkDgDA74uj.gif

The Moth Collector
itf08BnKooBPD.gif

SparkTR

The game has some technical issues, the sound is kind of uneven (music too loud, voices too low), the shadow pop-in is pretty distracting in city levels and the performance is uneven. The FOV is alright in my opinion, it might zoom-in a bit too much when in target mode but it works for this type of game.

Other than that this is pretty much above and beyond what I wanted in a Zeno Clash sequel. The art/visuals are insanely impressive, there's tons of open places to explore (that valley area is particularly impressive), the combat system is the best first person brawler in the industry (opinion) and they've varied up encounters will neat secondary weapons and RPG elements (that sunshot weapon especially). My one gripe is that it lacks the frantic 'flow' of the original due to cutscenes playing so often, but this game is several times longer so I guess it makes sense.

Did they bite off more than they could chew? Maybe, but provided they patch out the technical fluff I'm extremely happy that they were so ambitious with this.

Top Bottom