• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zeno Clash II |OT| Punching the crap out of weird looking things

Rath Bird Fields, HOLY SHIT WOW (my video)

It's like that moment in Zelda OoT where you walk across the Hyrule overworld for the first time, so expansive and yet on another level of surreality.

isbrhNmSqg4kq.gif

I am very interested in the story and feel like I am missing way too much. Should I just look up the story points or try to play the first one?

I can't wait to meet this Father-Mother guy-gal.

Hypron

I am very interested in the story and feel like I am missing way too much. Should I just look up the story points or try to play the first one?

Wait you're interested in the story but didn't play the first game?

Either play it (it's cheap and short) or read a summary of it.

Wait you're interested in the story but didn't play the first game?

Either play it (it's cheap and short) or read a summary of it.

First 30 min or so of story shows a lot happened before the start of the game. I am too curious not to go back and play the first, the world and lore seem a little too amazing to simply glance over as well.
Brothers from other species, Brothers from the human side...
Some epicness has/is going to happen.

Played a little last night and I like it quite a bit so far. It didn't seem like I was able to pull off some of the moves I did in the tutorial in game, though? I'm not sure what that's about. I'm probably not doing them correctly or something. Anyways, as expected the art and environments are absolutely incredible, I really think that this is Ace Team's forte. Some extreme talent going on there. It helps that it's backed by some solid mechanics and a story that seems like it's going to be pretty interesting. Good stuff.

Edit: I'm digging the soundtrack so far, too.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RPS smashed it in their review. Not sure if I should buy it now... but I'll buy it later for sure.

Motherfucking
Teapot
boss in the desert was awesome. Took me a while to figure it out, but yeah really nice change of strategy.

Love me some night time skies in games
ibkB1vLw2EVRLZ.gif

ibx4waYAUa8YhH.jpg

Getting to see most of the world from the top of Halstedom is a treat.
i9ONRftIAFTmq.jpg

Can't help taking pics of every single NPC, so much variety.
iTjzUKdRFGBgS.jpg

Game looks really great, but man if I'm not bored out of my mind. Some clunky interface decisions too.

Does the game get better/open up more? Side quests seem pointless so far...I was really looking forward to this but the majority of the game seems uninteresting and linear. Brawling does feel awesome. Maybe I just need to play more.

jettpack

yo, does anybody know what to do with those arrowheads? i am unable to collect any more of them. are they currency?

anyway, this game is great and terrifying.

Does the game get better/open up more? Side quests seem pointless so far...I was really looking forward to this but the majority of the game seems uninteresting and linear. Brawling does feel awesome. Maybe I just need to play more.
The areas get bigger like Rath Bird Fields, more crazy environments (which is my main draw so far), more secondary weapons (total of 4), different enemies and cool bosses. But if it's uninteresting overall, not much else to convince you.

yo, does anybody know what to do with those arrowheads? i am unable to collect any more of them. are they currency?

anyway, this game is great and terrifying.

Arrowheads? I've been collecting cubes and moths. After a certain amount of moths you'll unlock all the stuff in the collector's house, and then they're just collectibles.

jettpack

The areas get bigger like Rath Bird Fields, more crazy environments (which is my main draw so far), more secondary weapons (total of 4), different enemies and cool bosses. But if it's uninteresting overall, not much else to convince you.

Arrowheads? I've been collecting cubes and moths. After a certain amount of moths you'll unlock all the stuff in the collector's house, and then they're just collectibles.

the arrow heads with the skulls on them. they are in most of the clam treasure chests. I have no idea what they are for.

jettpack

yo, totally play the first game. at the very least it has some amazing sites. I love it, so i's say its worth it.

the arrow heads with the skulls on them. they are in most of the clam treasure chests. I have no idea what they are for.

Oh those!
ilojTpKzYfm6W.jpg

They are used to increase your special meter (orange) so you can do special moves. It's how you use the rage mode (block+left+right hands). Your special meter must be full. Rage it out bro!
ixGU4QspLAEHs.gif

Nillansan

I have pre-ordered it, but I might hold off until they fix some of the problems that have been reported.

Could someone let me know if ZC2 has a Challenge Mode like the first entry?

Portugeezer

This is going to be a huge fucking problem. The FoV on PC is like... I don't even know how to describe it. TotalBiscuit won't be having a good time with this one.

I played ZC1 on 360 and didn't have a problem with it, but now playing ZC2 on PC, I don't know if I can handle having it zoomed in so far.
You were right.

He completely just shat on the game because of FOV. Whilst yes, low FOV can be a problem, all he had to say was that this game has a low FOV in certain areas and people who can't handle that shouldn't buy it until it's patched.

He just came off as obnoxious (again), and well my comments didn't go down too well...

Gc5dQq4.gif

R1CHO

Why would you do such a thing as write comments on youtube? That's war zone.

Imo, he did the right thing, point out a problem. It dosn't matter if it's a big studio or an indie one, a problem is a problem. Yes i am also sad for ACE, a video like that won't make them any favors, but it's not like he is lying... i understand the design decision of making a dynamic fov which is more narrow on fights, but it looks like they have gone too far.

xJavonta

Banned
TotalBiscuit is a dick and I honestly don't see why people like him so much. Never liked him, but I respect that he buys the more obscure games so I can check out some footage before I buy it. Always mute the sound though, I just can't bear to hear his pretentious ass.

But since the FOV is so narrow, the only thing that would save this game for me is if it has full controller support so I can play it at comfy couch distance. Desk would make me so fucking ill.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
TotalBiscuit is a dick and I honestly don't see why people like him so much. Never liked him, but I respect that he buys the more obscure games so I can check out some footage before I buy it. Always mute the sound though, I just can't bear to hear his pretentious ass.

But since the FOV is so narrow, the only thing that would save this game for me is if it has full controller support so I can play it at comfy couch distance. Desk would make me so fucking ill.

It has controller support as that was what I played with when I played a bit of it :) The only problem is, whilst all the buttons are listed as to what they do in the controller menu during the game the prompts are all PC keys. Not a big deal but an annoyance all the same.

I don't have a problem with FoV in games, but I think it's worth bringing up for those people who are. It's too bad some people will think it's automatically a bad game and should be avoided even if a fix happens, that ship will have sailed away for their interest into the next AAA game :p

It has controller support as that was what I played with when I played a bit of it :) The only problem is, whilst all the buttons are listed as to what they do in the controller menu during the game the prompts are all PC keys. Not a big deal but an annoyance all the same.

Yeah, it becomes a problem in calling in allies and using the map, but the developer is aware of this controller and FoV issue which they're bringing up in the patch (no info on when).

I just made a video on The Last Tomb (that place in the desert that only opens when you have all the cube trinkets).

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
TB didn't just botch the game only because of the FOV (which was a huge issue for him though) but also for the completely broken AI, which he also shows in the video.

I mean honestly, just from that video? Yeah, won't even think of buying it, too. And I really don't think TB is the master of all.

Newblade

TB didn't just botch the game only because of the FOV (which was a huge issue for him though) but also for the completely broken AI, which he also shows in the video.

I mean honestly, just from that video? Yeah, won't even think of buying it, too. And I really don't think TB is the master of all.

To be fair, the area showcased in TB's video is the only one where I found the companion AI to be that faulty, although I have only played the game for three hours.

I have played 10 or so hours and haven't encountered any ally AI getting stuck in places. That jail thing might be an isolated issue. He only showed one example, and he's like 20 min into the game, I don't think it's enough to paint the whole game full of ally AI issues (considering ally AI is terrible in most AAA games too, not sure how that would be a dealbreaker).

Stitch

Gold Member
He completely just shat on the game because of FOV. Whilst yes, low FOV can be a problem, all he had to say was that this game has a low FOV in certain areas and people who can't handle that shouldn't buy it until it's patched.

Well, he's right. If a game will make you sick in its current state, why the hell should you buy it? You can't play it anyway because it will give you a headache and make you puke.

Just watching the TB video already made me dizzy.

Newblade

It seems they fixed the FOV issue already.

- New FOV option in the graphic settings menu where you can choose two FOV options: 'Default' or 'Wide'. If the wide settings are not of you're liking we're opening up the FOV values to be edited in the DefaultGame.ini (Note: This changes only the 'Wide' option).

Jeez, does this amazing game ever end?! I might faint of eyegasms.

Pulling down birds with the Golem Hand is hilarious. As is kicking dudes over cliffs.

Finally added WORD as my ally! Leadership at max.

Got the Master Combo and Moth achievements :D

Playing with the new wide FOV is even better, even though I didn't have much of an issue before.

Just boggles my mind how this game is made by a small indie team. The files seem to indicate they've been at this since 2010? Ridiculous ambition and for the most part nailing it.

I thought it was ending at 12 hours with what seemed like a final boss, but I'm now 14 hours in at the Mountains and they're still introducing new enemies, locations, story details. And I thought Rath Bird Fields was crazy. I thought the red desert insects were creepy, but I hadn't yet met the Shadows. Not so much of new combat stuff, but I think it's pretty deep as it is.

I liked the Rock of Ages sort-of cameo (or just borrowed boulder texture) in the canyon. And the loads of nods to the first game with the brothers/sisters, Corwids,
that flute boss in the first game collapsing in the deeper woods

Hints of
modern civilization and not knowing which age we're actually in was a cool twist. The room with the piano and cupboards :O And then the harp and EARTH?!

Leave these Throne Room cutiepies alone! :D
irtWneQHR0nvG.gif

Scenery (laptop screencaps, someone with a better PC should do this instead of me):
Halstedom at night
ibx4waYAUa8YhH.jpg

Where you get the Golem Hand
i38Mo9QMH3m79.jpg

Desert
ib19ATQyRv2gMA.jpg

iqBms9OKxuk02.jpg

Forgot what this place was, just full of Shadows and molten lava
iYZEFgo0XMl3f.jpg

imROyoR5XguPR.jpg

Beach
ibvFeSzL7VRxGD.jpg

i98BQI1YS1ehs.jpg

Deeper Woods
iRLIIFj8i2Gmm.jpg

iosHdD5efx1ED.jpg

ioQILkypspu5v.jpg

ibrRIto5K1Lz2K.jpg

Loam

Just finished it, absolutely stunning game. Combat felt a little wonky at times but when it clicks there really is nothing else like it. Huge improvement over the original if you ask me.

Also I'm not normally one to farm achievements but did "Orphans' Gathering" not pop for anyone else? Says you have to reunite the family which I did all the side quests for (as well as finding that pig guy in town) would hate to think I missed out on some story bit.

Great looking game.

So far, this is the sequel I was hoping for. I can't really pull off any of the more advanced combos, but doing piledrivers and bashing skulls in with the hammers is still fun.

eot

Banned
How is the combat in this one compared to the original? Because by the end of that one I was not having any fun with the combat at all, it felt like it wasn't designed for group encounters yet that's all they threw at you.

It can still be rough fighting against groups. Having allies with you helps a little bit and there are added things like the chain weapon that can help deal with multiple attackers. Its not as bad as the first but still pretty tough.

I wouldn't say people like him "so much." I mean his videos don't get nearly as many views as some other folks on youtube. He has pretty extreme opinions, but I appreciate his channel and I like listening to him rant at games :p I also love his "WTF IS" series simply because I've purchased many games because of them. He also does quite a bit for the StarCraft 2 scene (sponsors his own team, hosts tournaments, etc etc).

If you're one of the people that don't like his opinions than yeah... I suppose you wouldn't like him :p But I don't see the point in having a discussion about how much we don't like him because he pointed out some flaws in this game. And hey, he actually removed his video now that the FOV issue is fixed. And posted this on twitter.

It can still be rough fighting against groups. Having allies with you helps a little bit and there are added things like the chain weapon that can help deal with multiple attackers. Its not as bad as the first but still pretty tough.

Golem Hand and Sun/Moon Gauntlet are your friends.

And the Reverse Kick solves a lot of issues of getting hit in the back:
iGOB1fORjucnx.gif

Also, double attacks like Hadouken can take care of two people easily.

I never have auto-lock on, helps a bunch.

18 hours and finally finished this kakking amazing game. Even recommended it on Steam, which I don't usually do. Feels so good, even if I have questions (
are the Golems time travellers? What's with the modern cities beyond the end world? What was that dream about with the white room and furniture and harp and Earth
?!).

If people are disappointed in recent game worlds, they need to play this.

ib0leu4eRwqARd.jpg

Top Bottom