• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Mission, why has thou forsaken me?? (Possible Spoilers)

TheDiave

Banned
Okay, so I got to the end part where you take on Mother Brain, and I'm thinking "Wow, I never got this far on the original. I might finally beat Metroid!"

She blows up... The escape starts.

I get away.

Then a whole 'nother adventure starts; One that's a pain in the f'ing ass so far.

FUCK YOU, ZERO MISSION!

...did this piss anybody else off?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I loved it, it was so foreign and filled with such stress knowing that at any second you are dead if caught.

It wasn't brilliant but it did add a bit of suprise and also mixed up the gameplay a bit.

i can see though how it would be frustrating at first if you'd never beaten the original. It's completely unexpected and that's what makes it awesome.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I despise the trial and error of stealth gameplay and thought that park sucked ass. I basically just ran from room to room the exact way each time until I happened to get lucky and get shot 1 less time and not get killed before the save point.

LakeEarth

TheDiave said:
...did this piss anybody else off?

Me too buddy. I actually made a thread about it when it came out, but everyone was like "ooh you don't get it" or whatever. I really disliked it. I hate it when they put stealth into games that shouldn't have any. If I wanted stealth, I'd buy Splinter Cell.

VIDEOGAME DEVELOPERS LISTEN UP!! Don't stuff one genre into a game in a completely different genre. It's like playing basketball with a banana.

snapty00

Banned
What bothered me most about the stealth part was that the enemy A.I. was very inconsistent.

I can't understand why an enemy can sometimes see me DIRECTLY and not be alerted but shoot me like there's no tomorrow if I dare hide in a small compartment.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The stealth part wasn't even hard and didn't require you to wait 5 minutes to go in the clear, unlike games such as Splinter Cell

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Wario64 said:
The stealth part wasn't even hard and didn't require you to wait 5 minutes to go in the clear, unlike games such as Splinter Cell
thats why the that part of metroid only sucked ass and wasn't totally unplayable like splinter cell.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I didn't like it, but I do appreciate the effort they went to giving us such a large add on to a port.

Frankly I'd have preferred to go to a similar area that played just like a normal Metroid world if they're going to build something extra, but it's not like I had to play that part of the game.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Count me in as one of the people who loved it.

In fact, I need to play Zero Mission again...

I'm pretty sure I ignored most of the stealth aspects and just ran like hell through that segment. Fun as hell being chased by those Space Pirates.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Mr. Lemming said:
I'm pretty sure I ignored most of the stealth aspects and just ran like hell through that segment. Fun as hell being chased by those Space Pirates.

I also never saw that section as "stealth" either. I ran like a bat out of hell and fired a couple warning shots at them every chance I got to keep them off my back. "Fun as hell" is exactly what I've always called it too. :D

Alucard

Banned
Zero Mission is totally one of the GBAs finest games. Along with Aria of Sorrow, it's been my most played and loved game on the system. I didn't mind the stealth part at all.

I loved the stealth part. It was beyond amazing. Especially because it didn't have to be stealth. You could get the bastards to kill each other too.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well considering it was a remake of the first game for the NES adding the extra content was kind of nice since they dumbed the game down a bit by adding all of the maps and what not. Besides the extra stuff gives you a little more back story on Samus...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like that stealth part was really all that long.

That said, stealth doesn't fit in Metroid. I don't play Metroid games because I want stealth. Fortunately, it was limited enough that it was different and fairly enjoyable while not managing to overstay its welcome.

So, neat idea and a nice way to surprise those expecting a straight remake, but in the future, I wouldn't mind it if they never did it again. :)

snapty00

Banned
Blackace said:
Well considering it was a remake of the first game for the NES adding the extra content was kind of nice since they dumbed the game down a bit by adding all of the maps and what not.
I don't really see how that's "dumbing it down," considering that the gameplay in the original Metroid is so broken that's largely unplayable. Zero Mission has a good balance between linearity and open-endedness.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
snapty00 said:
I don't really see how that's "dumbing it down," considering that the gameplay in the original Metroid is so broken that's largely unplayable. Zero Mission has a good balance between linearity and open-endedness.

I had no problem beating the original and I was 9... I fully believe that by adding all the map rooms that tell you the exact location of where to go is dumbing down a game. The first was full exploration... It could have been tweaked... but they spoon fed. a game that took me ove r 20 hours to beat before now took 3 hours....

snapty00

Banned
I enjoyed "exploring" the original The Legend of Zelda. In Metroid, on the other hand, I couldn't stand that form of "exploration." It was more of a pain in the ass than anything.

The original Metroid was so...slow....I couldn't stand to play it for more than a few minutes at a time. Zero Mission is very fast-paced and infinitely more fun. I love it because when it tells me that I need to go somewhere to advance in the game, I'm sort of "breaking the rules" by not doing that right away. That in itself encourages exploration, I think.

They must've done something right with Zero Mission, because I've been through it three times and I'm now on my fourth run on Hard difficulty. I can't say the same for the original Metroid -- or many other games at all, really.

Socreges

Banned
I didn't like the stealth part much (more of a chore than anything), but I really enjoyed the part after and then going back to find all the items.
Getting all your equipment back and kicking ass was great.

I didn't think the stealth part was very fun, but I liked the extra mission as a whole because of all the cool Chozo stuff and the tie-ins to Metroid Prime.

bjork

I just wonder how it's even possible to get 100% in under two hours on that game. You'd have to know ever exact location and get the harder items on the first try, but even then... sheesh.

Its fucking awesome. If you haven't played the original title; you won't get the excitement in the twist which is FUCKING AWESOME. The tie to MP also makes the title AAA+

I can't believe all the bitching regarding the extra mission at the end. Was it not advertised that this was "the whole story" and what not.

As for the stealth portion, I've never seen it handled better.

AniHawk

I liked the stealth part. One of the very few games I've found stealth at least decent. Surprised how closely related to Metroid Prime the game is to Metroid. It's practically the same day...

Alucard

Banned
bjork said:
I just wonder how it's even possible to get 100% in under two hours on that game. You'd have to know ever exact location and get the harder items on the first try, but even then... sheesh.

I'm trying to do it right now and it is pretty hard, but I hardly think it's impossible. You do have to know the game pretty well already though. I've played through it 4-5 times now, so I'm getting better at knowing where things are and how to get them all. It's still quite a challenge though. I'm more curious as to how I'm going to finish this game with under 13% item completion to get one of the endings.

Tritroid

The new ending to Metroid Zero Mission kicked ass.
Especially the whole sequence where Samus is given the fully powered suit, and all the foreign items switch on as the main theme kicks in. Very awesome.
I would say the only thing that really disappointed me about MZM's new ending is
the new 'final' boss. I like how they tied in Meta Ridley with the original to better setup Prime...but he was easy as fuck. It literally takes, what? 3 or 4 Super Missiles to take him down? Such a pushover boss, and very disappointing for a final.

I think I still prefer Metroid 3 and 4 over MZM though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tritroid: The final boss *name withheld* gets harder if you collect 100% of the items before fighting him... if you have under that, he's such a wuss :p

Tritroid

Yeah but honestly, how many people will get 100%? Especially considering getting some of the items involves insane Shine Spark quests. :p

Deku Tree

I didn't love the stealth part, but I liked it and it was over quickly enough. But the rest of the extra mission after the stealth was very good.

Kuramu

Tritroid said:
Yeah but honestly, how many people will get 100%? Especially considering getting some of the items involves insane Shine Spark quests. :p

Those insane side quests were the best part of the game. I just watched my friend spend over an hour on one of those.... Ridly's hideout, bottom left... I figure anyone who doesn't finish those doesn't deserve a challenging end boss...IMO

Tritroid

Kuramu said:
Those insane side quests were the best part of the game. I just watched my friend spend over an hour on one of those.... Ridly's hideout, bottom left... I figure anyone who doesn't finish those doesn't deserve a challenging end boss...IMO
:p

So because I decide not to partake in approximately 15-20% of the item side-quests (since I ended with a 85% IIRC), I don't deserve a challenging end boss?

Whatever. An 'unlockable' challenging boss is a stupid idea. And since this was an added final boss, it should have been made even more challenging automatically for veteran players.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i absolutely loved that part. it was a much needed deviation from formula. that was the point where the game stepped out from super metroid's shadow.

Top Bottom