• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
learning about morgan is part of the current narrative though. He's back and he's obviously different. Also investing in a character makes you care more about what happens to a character in the current narrative. All of this is being done for the current narrative. And I'm sure it will directly tie into the current narrative in some way.
an hour and thirty minutes focusing on the past of one returning character means not focusing on what's happening in the story in the present. i get why they are doing it, that doesn't mean i have to or am going to look forward to it.
How you could possibly think that understanding why Morgan has evolved in the ways that he has has no bearing on the current narrative is mind boggling.
well if that's the case, there are apparently others here who find it to be a sort of filler as well, so you must be pretty damn mind boggled.
The executives have said that the Rick and Morgan relationship will be the main-spine of this season, so I think its important.

In comparison to how young the actor was when the show started, I agree. It doesn't seem too bad now though. Carl apparently turned 15 in Season 5, I'm not sure how old the actor is.
was carl supposed to be 13 in season 1?

zPgN6SD.jpg
c_carl_thumbwibq6.jpg
yap...

an hour and thirty minutes focusing on the past of one returning character means not focusing on what's happening in the story in the present. i get why they are doing it, that doesn't mean i have to or am going to look forward to it.
well if that's the case, there are apparently others here who find it to be a sort of filler as well, so you must be pretty damn mind boggled.
was carl supposed to be 13 in season 1?

En-ou

the scene is definitely meant to portray the character's death - slo-mo, music (lack of), his expression etc. if they 'resurrect' him next eps it would be so shit/cheap/cheesy/dumb/fooling the audience etc. and simply come off as super amateur film making, well, after the governor arc it seemed to have gone that route anyway. and even if that wasnt him being torn apart - there is no way in hell he is getting out of hundreds of walkers swarming on top of him. i've pretty much been only watching to make fun with my friends of how shit the show has gone.

the scene is definitely meant to portray the character's death - slo-mo, music (lack of), his expression etc. if they 'resurrect' him next eps it would be so shit/cheap/cheesy/dumb/fooling the audience etc. and simply come off as super amateur film making, well, after the governor arc it seemed to have gone that route anyway. and even if that wasnt him being torn apart - there is no way in hell he is getting out of hundreds of walkers swarming on top of him. i've pretty much been only watching to make fun with my friends of how shit the show has gone.
not disagreeing with you here, but apparently we won't see the resolution until the episode after next

I thought the complete opposite. I thought the scene was so obviously filmed to be ambiguous about his death from the slow motion nick falling on top of glenn to the obscure camera angles obfuscating what's really going on. It was definitely meant to mindfuck people into being unsure.

Oh no, a whole week.
no need for the patronizing. That's also a 2 week wait for seeing the next part of the ongoing story.

i'm not saying an episode focusing on morgan is pointless, but it will sort of feel like filler. i'm going to watch the episode regardless.

SamuraiX-

Pyro carpet bombing the thread with wisdom.

GAF continues to be clueless about what "filler" actually constitutes in TV land.

Morgan's intentions and backstory are a critical component of the season and Gimple structuring the season with this episode occurring between the action is very intentional.

Robert Kirkman said:
"We'll see how they've evolved separately and how they've both gotten to the places where they are and what they lived through and what they've become," Kirkman says. "Seeing those two things at odds is going to be big driving force of the season. … When we find them in season six, the question is: Is Morgan going to help Rick or is Rick going to help Morgan?"

But no, let's shit on it before experiencing the bigger picture or even watching the episode itself.

GAF continues to be clueless about what "filler" actually constitutes in TV land.

Morgan's intentions and backstory are a critical component of the season and Gimple structuring the season with this episode occurring between the action is very intentional.

But no, let's shit on it before experiencing the bigger picture or even watching the episode itself.
#teamRickIsGoingToHelpMorgan

it's the only way to survive. But nah I think Morgan will help Rick gain some of his humanity back, or at least maybe make him more trusting but he'll still be Rick. But then we all know Comic Spoilers:
The negan moment will happen lol.

Two face was right in the dark knight. Rick should yell to morgan "you thought we could be decent men in an indecent time".

Cyborg

How they killed Glen is so lame. He deserved much much more (a better death)
Im hoping he is not dead, Im not sure they would kill a fan favoriete that way

robert Kirkman is a genius for having created the walking dead but that doesn't mean everyone's gonna like where he goes with his works.

With that being said though, yes, let's wait answer how tonight goes.

How they killed Glen is so lame. He deserved much much more (a better death)
Im hoping he is not dead, Im not sure they would kill a fan favoriete that way

If they're going to, they absolutely should kill them this way. Death should be brutal and unexpected in this universe: it's not always going to be the final outcome of a protracted, epic battle with the bad guy.

Considering that the last Morgan episode was CLEAR, which is pretty well-regarded and also essentially put the main storyline aside for some character building for Michonne and Rick and Morgan, and was also written by Gimple...

I'm not worried about tonight's episode

Yeah, Gimple has been on point with every single episode he's written. I expect tonight's episode to be Emmy material for Lenny James if done right. There's got to be some interesting stuff to bring him from the brink of raving lunacy to the badass bow staff wielding pacifist he is in the present.

it will only get worse when it's over lol. I'm going to watch the episode and then watch talking dead and then go to sleep and hopefully the haters will be over it by the next day.

Also am I the only one that likes TV Show glenn more than comic book glenn?

I miss slightly awkward wise cracking Glenn from season 1-2. Once he hooked up with Maggie he got kinda dull generic stoic husband figure.

Red Mage

My brother swears that Talking Dead said that they will reveal Glenn's fate this episode, and is now pissed that I told him it would be next week probably. I really think that they screwed up here.

Ashhong

Man my girlfriend is going to be pissed that they don't show what happened to Glen today. She only watches for him and changed up her schedule today so that she can watch lol.

I don't know if I should warn her beforehand or not...

Yeah, Gimple has been on point with every single episode he's written. I expect tonight's episode to be Emmy material for Lenny James if done right. There's got to be some interesting stuff to bring him from the brink of raving lunacy to the badass bow staff wielding pacifist he is in the present.

I miss slightly awkward wise cracking Glenn from season 1-2. Once he hooked up with Maggie he got kinda dull generic stoic husband figure.
yeah he was kinda like spiderman

Man my girlfriend is going to be pissed that they don't show what happened to Glen today. She only watches for him and changed up her schedule today so that she can watch lol.

I don't know if I should warn her beforehand or not...
don't warn, just watch her suffer.

Gimple does have a good track record on this show when it comes to writing episodes. The weakest of them I think is "What's happened and What's Going On" and "Hounded" and even them I don't consider to be bad episodes.

Save the Last One - Shane kills Otis episode.
Pretty Much Dead Already - Sophia comes out the barn episode
Hounded - Merle hunting down Michonne
Clear - Rick/Carl/Michonne travel to King County and meet Morgan
This Sorrowful Life - Merle's Death Episode
30 Days Without an Accident - S4 Premiere episode
The Grove - Carol and "look at the flowers" episode
No Sanctuary - S5 Premiere,Terminus escape
What Happened and What's Going On - Tyreese death Episode
Conquer - S5 Finale Episode

He also has written.

18 Miles Out [Rick and Shane take Randall, end up fighting]
A [S4 Finale. The Claimers get Rick'd.]
First Time Again [S6 Premiere]

Although those three episodes credited two writers for each, Gimple being one of them.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't even know if I would still be watching this show without Gimple. You look at where the show was in Season 2, where it seemed pretty aimless and compare that to what we have now. It's like a totally different show since he took over as showrunner. And he does have a really good collection of episodes to his name.

Gimple does have a good track record on this show when it comes to writing episodes. The weakest of them I think is "What's happened and What's Going On" and "Hounded" and even them I don't consider to be bad episodes.

Save the Last One - Shane kills Otis episode.
Pretty Much Dead Already - Sophia comes out the barn episode
Hounded - Merle hunting down Michonne
Clear - Rick/Carl/Michonne travel to King County and meet Morgan
This Sorrowful Life - Merle's Death Episode
30 Days Without an Accident - S4 Premiere episode
The Grove - Carol and "look at the flowers" episode
No Sanctuary - S5 Premiere,Terminus escape
What Happened and What's Going On - Tyreese death Episode
Conquer - S5 Finale Episode

He also has written.

18 Miles Out [Rick and Shane take Randall, end up fighting]
A [S4 Finale. The Claimers get Rick'd.]
First Time Again [S6 Premiere]

Although those three episodes credited two writers for each, Gimple being one of them.
gimple is someone that GETS the show. He gets the characters as well.

I have zero worries about tonight, should be awesome.

Well he was 8 in the comic at the start. He was 12 at the start in the show even if he looked more like 10.
are you sure? chandler riggs was 10 when he was cast as carl. did he say on the show that he turned 15?

hell, did the show ever actually specify that it's been two years?

ViciousDS

Banned
Flash back episode tonight being an hour and a half is kind of a drag......

Badlands starts tonight though, correct? Well at least we have that!

are you sure? chandler riggs was 10 when he was cast as carl. did he say on the show that he turned 15?

hell, did the show ever actually specify that it's been two years?

The actor was 10 at the start of the show, but the character was 12 regardless if he looked it.

As for Carl's current age? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing one of the executive producers say in a podcast that Carl turned 15 sometime during Season Five. Could be mistaken though. He's at the very least 14, edging towards 15.

Nobody [besides the execs I guess] are sure on how much time passed during S5 but it could be from a couple to several months. We know that when Morgan came across the Terminus sign that Rick had altered, he was months behind Rick which is indicative of the overgrown plants and trees in the scene.

However, Episode 1 director Greg Nicotero mentioned the vines growing over the Terminus sign in Morgan’s scene, indicating the passage of time, and AMC themselves added the time jump note to their own rundown for Episode 1, writing, “Months after Rick's escape from Terminus, a masked stranger marches down the railroad tracks.

jerry113

Banned
Flash back episode tonight being an hour and a half is kind of a drag......

Badlands starts tonight though, correct? Well at least we have that!

I think it's interesting that episode 4 of the season is going to be a 1.5 hour event. Usually that's reserved for premieres or finales no?

I wonder what we're in store for.

Rootbeer

Banned
I didn't get to watch last week so looks like it's a double feature for me, yay!

Thanks for airing the previous episode before the new one each week AMC

NYR

If they don't answer the Glenn question, fans will revolt.

If they answer the Glenn question, fans will revolt.

Nice going, show runners.

fonziejumpsshark3sl.gif

near

Gold Member
Had a lot of free time over the last two weeks and managed to marathon from S1 to the current episode, this series is fucking brilliant. Loved the way this new season has started off, really well directed and put together. But I don't know if I can wait a week to watch each episode, that's going to be a pain. Literally every episode is a cliff hanger but in the most appropriate way.
Glenn :'(

fonziejumpsshark3sl.gif
lol

the show has been going back and forth so I'm guessing this episode takes place back in town and next ep will be back in the field. It'll be interesitng to see how this one ends.

The actor was 10 at the start of the show, but the character was 12 regardless if he looked it.

As for Carl's current age? I'm pretty sure I remember hearing one of the executive producers say in a podcast that Carl turned 15 sometime during Season Five. Could be mistaken though. He's at the very least 14, edging towards 15.

Nobody [besides the execs I guess] are sure on how much time passed during S5 but it could be from a couple to several months. We know that when Morgan came across the Terminus sign that Rick had altered, he was months behind Rick which is indicative of the overgrown plants and trees in the scene.
ok, thanks. so this puts an end to that question.

fonziejumpsshark3sl.gif
why would they revolt if the glenn shit was given closure?

Gorillaz

There really is no reason to revolt if he did infact die there. Because it would be the first time in seasons that they actually proved that the cast doesn't have 100 percent plot armor and could die like that. Keeping him alive after that is a bigger joke at this point

they're playing the last episode and this scene just showed. now in the overview shot, you can see glenn's face, disappear in a few shots. that could either be because the zombies began tearing his face apart, or, he successfully made it under that goddamn garbage bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom