• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit1

I finished compendium 2 of the comic, which put me a little ahead of the show. The compendium ended with Chapter 16:
A Larger World

I'll probably hold off on Compendium 3 for a while, at least through season 6, but I'll share some thoughts on Alexandria on the show vs. the comic.

(Comic spoilers through Chapter 16)

I have to say that so far this season I prefer the route the comic took compared to the show. Usually I am a fan of using non-linear scenes, but it really didn't seem necessary to me in the premiere. There was plenty of material to work with coming off the season 5 finale, and it seems like they were rushing to get some zombie action in on the premiere. The way it was handled, when the herd reaches Alexandria, Rick and Morgan could be open to some of the blame. I preferred the comic events in regards to the herd. Herds happen. (That could be on a shirt)

But really, I'm excited for the future of the show. After the herd tears through Alexandria in the comic, and the group kills the walkers off, Rick begins to realize the group can do more than just survive. Some time later they find an even larger community that they may be able to barter with, and at the end of Chapter 16, Rick envisions "A Larger World"

This sounds really promising to me. In both the TV show and the comic, the group has been roaming on and off since the outbreak, but I'm hoping now they may be able to put down roots here in Alexandria and start thriving instead of just surviving. I think this would be a nice change of pace for the show and I can't wait until the show catches up to the point where Jesus takes Rick to his community.

Also just a guess, but I think TV Jessie might get a chance to pull some of comic Andrea's weight. The show really likes to screw with comic deaths so they might keep her around instead of killing her off as in the comic. Her TV character is stronger than her comic character already.

TCRS

Banned
since the season 5 thread was closed and I need to get this off my chest. I'm going to write this here without reading the thread:

just finished season 5. great start but they jumbled the end. no clear structure towards the end and a little more dialogue would have helped with what the characters were feeling. also too much stuff in the last episode to quickly end the season and make it feel like a cliffhanger. otherwise great season tbh. rick losing it, becoming more and more like the bad guys etc.

some of those deaths hurt man..

Alpende

I finished compendium 2 of the comic, which put me a little ahead of the show. The compendium ended with Chapter 16:
A Larger World

I'll probably hold off on Compendium 3 for a while, at least through season 6, but I'll share some thoughts on Alexandria on the show vs. the comic.

I remember finishing Compendium 2 like 2-3 years ago and wondering when the third one would come out and now it's out. Couldn't wait 3 years though so I just kept purchasing the volumes.

Not sure if these were posted on this thread, not sure if they're new but they're definitely from Season 6.

c_rick_thumb5hbmn.jpg
c_carl_thumbwibq6.jpg

c_daryl_thumbdyayy.jpg
c_carol_thumbqhztt.jpg

c_michonne_thumbodaje.jpg
c_morgan_thumb8blw3.jpg

c_glenn_thumbicbht.jpg
c_maggie_thumb3hxy6.jpg

c_abraham_thumbb6avg.jpg
c_sasha_thumb5vxnj.jpg

c_eugene_thumbsvl2v.jpg
c_rosita_thumbh5zfc.jpg

c_tara_thumbo6xff.jpg
c_gabriel_thumblezgz.jpg

c_deanna_thumbe4aax.jpg
c_spencer_thumbbobhc.jpg

c_jessie_thumbp7a4r.jpg
c_aaron_thumblay9d.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Here's Not Here

A new face appears; trust issues form.

Tonight's episode is a super sized 90 minute installment written by showrunner Scott Gimple and was directed by Stephen Williams (The Americans, Lost, Agent Carter) who is making his Walking Dead debut.

Guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead:

Josh Gad (Frozen) and a surprise cast member!

HardRojo

Considering it is meant to be a flashback episode I really do hope its not in black and white lol.
I don't know what to expect to be honest. I'm just watching the show now because this lady friend comes over and it gets me laid. I'm hoping it gets good before the mid season finale.

SamuraiX-

New episode tonight!

Tonight's episode is a super sized 90 minute installment written by showrunner Scott Gimple and was directed by Stephen Williams (The Americans, Lost, Agent Carter) who is making his Walking Dead debut.

Guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead:

Josh Gad (Frozen) and a surprise cast member!

Love that they keep bringing in new directors. I feel 604 will be a change of pace from the tone set in the first three episodes of the season. Anything written by Gimple is usually a nice treat.

Hoping Morgan's new mantra is presented well enough that the audience will be able to relate with why he feels so strongly about his new way of life.

I don't know what to expect to be honest. I'm just watching the show now because this lady friend comes over and it gets me laid. I'm hoping it gets good before the mid season finale.

n1HHJlu.jpg

Razmos

An entire extended episode on Morgan
tumblr_inline_nfifioTXhQ1re14qc.gif

I'll just zone out whenever he speaks and hope something actually interesting happens.

OKAY here's my theory

Since Glenn may or may not be dead in the show. I think Carol will be the one to die Glenn's Death in the comic on the show.

This is the 90 min ep though right? So maybe if we're lucky well get more then flashback.

Maybe if we're lucky the preview was just normal Walking dead trailer tomfoolery! And the flashback is really only 10 minutes 🤔😎

This is the 90 min ep though right? So maybe if we're lucky well get more then flashback.

Maybe if we're lucky the preview was just normal Walking dead trailer tomfoolery! And the flashback is really only 10 minutes 🤔😎

Well the actual ep will only be 60 mins I think, 90 includes adverts.

If tonights episode was written by gimple I expect a great character episode. Makes since since it's the morgan flashback. Should be interesting. Much needed break from the chaos.

Not looking forward to the bitching afterward.

So this is gonna be a filler episode tonight right?

An expanded length filler episode! So it is extra pointless
misuse of the word filler

nice, we have already begun.

Razmos

How is it NOT filler to cut away from the action for a week for a pointless backstory episode?
It's just as pointless as the stupid mini-arc of the Governor integrating with that other group.

We are cutting away from the actual interesting stuff happening to get a backstory for the most boring and stupid character on the show, I think we are pretty justified in bitching about it.

I wouldn't have minded if they had this episode AFTER the herd was taken care of, as sort of a "winding down" episode, but right in the middle is just obnoxious.

How is it NOT filler to cut away from the action for a week for a pointless backstory episode?
It's just as pointless as the stupid mini-arc of the Governor integrating with that other group.

We are cutting away from the actual interesting stuff happening to get a backstory for the most boring and stupid character on the show, I think we are pretty justified in bitching about it.

I wouldn't have minded if they had this episode AFTER the herd was taken care of, as sort of a "winding down" episode, but right in the middle is just obnoxious.
the premise of your whole post is wrong because you're assuming right off the bat that it's pointless. Character building is not pointless. Character building is what makes ALL of this matter. If we didn't take the time to learn more about characters in a meaningful way, who the hell cares what's going on and who lives and dies and what the decisions are that these people make.

Character building is all about investment because it pays off in the future. And it also doesn't mean it won't be entertaining. You can bitch about it all you want but to say it's justified is flat out wrong.

Filler is when nothing of value happens. It's when an episode comes and goes and literally nothing happened, nothing was learned about anyone or anything, etc....

I also personally don't think it'll be all flashback, it will be probably be interwoven with the present but it will be the majority of it.

Konka

Banned

In a show like TWD everything is filler. There is no endgame or final destination to get to. It's all character building and going day-to-day.

Considering that the last Morgan episode was CLEAR, which is pretty well-regarded and also essentially put the main storyline aside for some character building for Michonne and Rick and Morgan, and was also written by Gimple...

I'm not worried about tonight's episode

Just because you don't value something personally doesn't make it filler. I'm emotionally invested in a large amount of characters because of the time that was taken to tell us about them. Morgan doesn't have the luxuxry of being around for 6 seasons so this should be a good one. It'll make his dirty looks make sense, it'll make the way he thinks makes sense, it'll makes what he does going forward and what he says make sense.

Otherwise he's just this guy that gives dirty looks and makes weird decisions. Similar to Michonne until they took the time to tell us more about her past life and what got her there. Now we're all invested in michonne!

Considering that the last Morgan episode was CLEAR, which is pretty well-regarded and also essentially put the main storyline aside for some character building for Michonne and Rick and Morgan, and was also written by Gimple...

I'm not worried about tonight's episode
worddd. If anyone gets how to do this stuff it's gimple.

-griffy-

Banned
It's not really a literal filler episode, since I think it's important to show how Morgan's state of mind changed from "Clear" to now, and I think people are interested in learning that (and how he got ninja staff skills). But it is potentially a very poorly placed episode in the progression of the season if it doesn't address any of the forward momentum of the season story (resolving Glen's "death," Rick's immediate predicament, the horde approaching Alexandria, etc). If the episode is predominantly a 90 minute Morgan flashback without forward momentum, it's like borderline trolling from the creators given the context of the meta around last week's show. "Not only do you have to wait a week until we get back to any of that Glen bullshit, but here's an EXTRA LONG episode that doesn't address any of it!"

So this is gonna be a filler episode tonight right?
I'm not sure why finding out what Morgan has been up to since S3 and having an episode focused on him is considered filler. Not too mention we have no idea what this episode is entirely about. I doubt the entire episode is going to be Morgan flashbacks. I imagine that part of the episode will take place during current times. I'm guessing Michonne and crew will be in Alexandria by this time.

Small Spoiler on next episode
Previews did say that by the end of the episode it'll make sense why this episode was put here... instead of swapping around 3 and 4.

I'm not sure why finding out what Morgan has been up to since S3 and having an episode focused on him is considered filler. Not too mention we have no idea what this episode is entirely about. I doubt the entire episode is going to be Morgan flashbacks. I imagine that part of the episode will take place during current times. I'm guessing Michonne and crew will be in Alexandria by this time.
because it isn't focusing on the current narrative.

i was annoyed 2 seasons ago when they focused entire episodes on the governor as well, and that was the first season I started watching this show

i was annoyed 2 seasons ago when they focused entire episodes on the governor as well, and that was the first season I started watching this show
learning about morgan is part of the current narrative though. He's back and he's obviously different. Also investing in a character makes you care more about what happens to a character in the current narrative. All of this is being done for the current narrative. And I'm sure it will directly tie into the current narrative in some way.

Not sure if these were posted on this thread, not sure if they're new but they're definitely from Season 6.

c_rick_thumb5hbmn.jpg
c_carl_thumbwibq6.jpg

c_daryl_thumbdyayy.jpg
c_carol_thumbqhztt.jpg

c_michonne_thumbodaje.jpg
c_morgan_thumb8blw3.jpg

c_glenn_thumbicbht.jpg
c_maggie_thumb3hxy6.jpg

c_abraham_thumbb6avg.jpg
c_sasha_thumb5vxnj.jpg

c_eugene_thumbsvl2v.jpg
c_rosita_thumbh5zfc.jpg

c_tara_thumbo6xff.jpg
c_gabriel_thumblezgz.jpg

c_deanna_thumbe4aax.jpg
c_spencer_thumbbobhc.jpg

c_jessie_thumbp7a4r.jpg
c_aaron_thumblay9d.jpg
carl's actor has definitely grown up way faster than his character is supposed to. there was supposed to be like what, just two years that've passed in the apocalypse? they've been filming this show for 6, and now carl is a young man.

Konka

Banned

How you could possibly think that understanding why Morgan has evolved in the ways that he has has no bearing on the current narrative is mind boggling.

The executives have said that the Rick and Morgan relationship will be the main-spine of this season, so I think its important.

carl's actor has definitely grown up way faster than his character is supposed to. there was supposed to be like what, just two years that've passed in the apocalypse? they've been filming this show for 6, and now carl is a young man.

In comparison to how young the actor was when the show started, I agree. It doesn't seem too bad now though. Carl apparently turned 15 in Season 5, I'm not sure how old the actor is.

Episode hasn't even aired yet, and we already hate it and it's breaking the fast pace so far, which half of the posters hate anyway. Neogaf.gif

Ushay

Holy shit, just finished watching episode 3.

Really anti climatic way to kill a major player in the series. My man Glenn got destroyed. There's no way he's getting out of that one? At first I thought he was imagining it, but he legit got torn apart. Fucking hell :( .. Show is so damn depressing to watch.

Majestad

Banned
Holy shit, just finished watching episode 3.

Really anti climatic way to kill a major player in the series. My man Glenn got destroyed. There's no way he's getting out of that one? At first I thought he was imagining it, but he legit got torn apart. Fucking hell :( .. Show is so damn depressing to watch.

We have some news for you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom