• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So apparently lots of people did quit the show (atleast for now).
Eh I would say wait until mid season finale to judge or Part B premier. People just wanted to see the opening episode and not get spoiled. They might then wait until all the episodes were out that way they can watch them Netflix style.

Surfinn

Seems like this strat of having a decent premiere, mid, and finale is all that's necessary now, even if ratings are dropping for filler episodes.

But even Negan is totally one note and already getting a little worn. Hopefully they've got some good episodes coming for the last three (we're already getting to the midseason? Yikes).

They've really gotta pump some new life into the main characters. Last episode with Maggie was a good start.

The drops aren't as bad when you look at the live+3 and live+7 numbers. Episode 3 which had 11.7 jumped up to 17.2 after the live+7 numbers were counted. More and more people are just not watching live.
Yeah, my family always DVR so they can skip commericals, and I watch the second showing later that night because Westworld comes on at 9

The show is typically 42 minutes when you cut out the ads. Yes, it seems like it's a lot of commercials, but it's just as many as any other US TV show.

We DVR it and start watching it right around 9:15/9:20 so that by the end we're caught up, but we manage to skip the commercials.

Starfield

There is a missing i in ads because thats what it is watching TWD on american Television. Like, holy hell is that annoying. How can you people live with that? No wonder the attentipn span is dropping all the time if your concentration is being Interrupted by a sudden Arby's or lawyer ad...

Im just not used to that, i Europe its already annoying af but that now is on a whole other level.

WaffleTaco

There is a missing i in ads because thats what it is watching TWD on american Television. Like, holy hell is that annoying. How can you people live with that? No wonder the attentipn span is dropping all the time if your concentration is being Interrupted by a sudden Arby's or lawyer ad...

Im just not used to that, i Europe its already annoying af but that now is on a whole other level.

It really isn't that bad. I dislike internet ads more because they are more intrusive, ruin the aesthetic and generally are just repeated over and over.

I really don't understand what is wanted out of this show at this point.

The formula of changing places each season is gone.

The deaths aren't cheap and meaningless to the degree they used to be.

Most characters are competent and have solid identities, even if they aren't super zombie slayers like Rick and Michonne.

Negative, while a bit over the top (reasons that aren't readily apparent yet), is a solid foil. A charismatic leader that doesn't have to put on a mask or manipulate like all the previous antagonists.

It's certainly not perfect, as this previous episode had some awkward acting in that early talk between Jesus and Sasha. And there's no question that their marketing is interfering with the show itself and made worse by their dishonest responses that ignore feedback from previous indiscretions. Yet, it's far from the trash tier show that is echoed nearly every episode.

WaffleTaco

Omg I'm watching a Hallmark movie right now and the character Paula(Alicia Witt) is the lead and apparently a lot of other Christmas movies too. She was the main antagonist in the episode where Carol & Maggie episode are held captured. She played the redhead and it's so weird seeing her in like the two exact opposite type of role.

Amikami

Banned
Lol, ya I couldn't hang around that thread very long.

This this. I respect people's dislike for the show, but they're really just looking for vindication which is a bit premature in this sense. Kinda hoping ratings shoot back up after the holiday to see what happens to the thread.

WaffleTaco

This this. I respect people's dislike for the show, but they're really just looking for vindication which is a bit premature in this sense. Kinda hoping ratings shoot back up after the holiday to see what happens to the thread.
They won't boost up until the mid season finale or the episode before. Honestly this season has been extremely slow compared to probably any season ever. We are on episode six and while I am loving the season from a character building sense, there has been almost no action. However if they are saving all of their budget for Part 2, it might just be their best half season ever.

Amikami

Banned
They won't boost up until the mid season finale or the episode before. Honestly this season has been extremely slow compared to probably any season ever. We are on episode six and while I am loving the season from a character building sense, there has been almost no action. However if they are saving all of their budget for Part 2, it might just be their best half season ever.

I can agree. Slow season but an interesting one. There's a lot of expedition of new people and places but it's slower for sure.

So has anyone heard these rumors about Chandler Riggs leaving the show? Apparently his dad posted something on Facebook about his 7 year contract being up, and used #freedom.

Chandler Riggs also got accepted into Auburn University recently, which admittedly isn't very far, but who knows.

There's a couple articles floating around out there, but I don't know how reputable they are so I won't post them on here.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
PSA:

Tomorrow's episode 6 will run for an extra 10 minutes.

Episode 7 will be 90 minutes.

Episode 8 will be 85 minutes.

Hopefully these are justified, narratively speaking. Otherwise The Walking Dead is going to give Sons of Anarchy a run(time) for its money

bidguy

Banned
So has anyone heard these rumors about Chandler Riggs leaving the show? Apparently his dad posted something on Facebook about his 7 year contract being up, and used #freedom.

Chandler Riggs also got accepted into Auburn University recently, which admittedly isn't very far, but who knows.

There's a couple articles floating around out there, but I don't know how reputable they are so I won't post them on here.

huh. wonder if theyd recast... hoping for a death scene personally

Mediking

They can finally find a good actor for Carl?!?!?!

I'm half-joking.

Ehhhhh... I dunno..... I don't see him leaving all that money and fame until the show is totally over.

But... he might fall into that classic "I wanna experience stuff because Hollywood is in the way!" and totally leave.

They can finally find a good actor for Carl?!?!?!

I'm half-joking.

Ehhhhh... I dunno..... I don't see him leaving all that money and fame until the show is totally over.

But... he might fall into that classic "I wanna experience stuff because Hollywood is in the way!" and totally leave.

Yeah, I can't either... he must make decent money off of this show and he's credited as top 3rd star. I know Glenn was 2nd, but I think they'd be more reluctant to kill off Carl.

He also seemed genuinely excited to do the losing an eye arc. Even though they haven't really gone anywhere with it. But it feels as if TWD doesn't do character arcs well...

Yeah, I can't either... he must make decent money off of this show and he's credited as top 3rd star. I know Glenn was 2nd, but I think they'd be more reluctant to kill off Carl.

He also seemed genuinely excited to do the losing an eye arc. Even though they haven't really gone anywhere with it. But it feels as if TWD doesn't do character arcs well...

It's one of the elements that's still dragging the show down. Rick's development in S6 was off (caveman syndrome with Jessie), Carol having her morality switch flipped without a convincing series of catalysts, Carl's own morality ignored until it's convenient for the writing...it's just not where it should be yet. Hopefully this season (and next) can pull off what needs to be done for Rick, Carl, Carol, and
Dwight

It'll also be hard for the show to let go of Carl/Riggs due to that Kirkman has stated quite often that Carl is the real main character of the series, and will likely last longer than
Rick
in the series' run.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I would be extremely surprised if they killed Carl off, but at the same time, I'm not sure what other kind of plot development could explain his absence. Maybe he goes away on a journey - ala Morgan - and we only see him once a season until Chandler is finished with college? Maybe a massive time jump that would require a much older actor?

I won't be surprised if Heath dies in tomorrow's episode, however. With Corey Hawkins playing the lead in 24: Legacy, I doubt he'll have time for the show anymore.

WaffleTaco

I would be extremely surprised if they killed Carl off, but at the same time, I'm not sure what other kind of plot development could explain his absence. Maybe he goes away on a journey - ala Morgan - and we only see him once a season until Chandler is finished with college? Maybe a massive time jump that would require a much older actor?

I won't be surprised if Heath dies in tomorrow's episode, however. With Corey Hawkins playing the lead in 24: Legacy, I doubt he'll have time for the show anymore.
I think it's pretty much expected at this point. Would also be the only reason to give those two their own episode. Plus Tara becomes an even more tragic figure...even those she's mainly the background lesbian character. Still has more usefulness than Eric though.

Why can't they just recast? Same as The Mountain on GoT or Octavius on Rome.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Swear

A familiar face stumbles upon a brand new society. Their rules, location and setup are unlike anything that has been seen before.

Tonight's episode was written by ? and was directed by ?.

Note: Tonight's episode will run 10 minutes past the hour.

The guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead are:

Alanna Masterson (Tara)
Sarah Hyland (actress, Modern Family)
Cassandra Peterson (actress, Elvira)

Gaz_RB

Carl's Mom is now doing damage control, and apparently his college is pretty close to where they shoot. I'll bet he stays.

I'm beyond ready for Carl to get killed off. Not surprised to see viewer numbers drop. The season has been very depressing if you care a lot about the characters

Mediking

Like because of reaction videos?

Many people use Youtube instead of watch live. There's people doing reaction videos and streaming the episodes live.

ALSO... Walking Dead has hit that special place where there's Youtube channels literally only uploading the important scenes from the show and putting them on Youtube. So... you can pretty much avoid the fluff and only watch stuff that matters.

Seriously... Youtube has beeen suggesting all kinds of Walking Dead videos to me.

RPGamer92

Banned
I think a lot of people could also either be waiting for seasons to go up on Netflix, or wait to buy episodes of video services due to being tired of all the commercials during live premieres.

CREMSteve

The commercials are ridiculous at this point. We PVR so we can skip them, couldn't possibly watch this without that feature. You literally get two minutes of show for every two minutes of advertising.

Live + numbers are most of what matters these days. The way people watch shit has evolved and continue to year over year.

Anyway, as for this episode. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Tara/Heath are the last group members we have to catch up with right? I guess that means next episode is when the main story kicks into gear toward the midseason finale.

Hopefully this one has some juice in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom