• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

I think it's funny that this episode was more satisfying and accomplished than the goddamn hour and a half we spent with the main group last week.

Just saw I enjoyed it. The void left by Glenn and Abe made it still feel a bit sad. Sometimes I swear the writers just say screw it and get lazy specially with no one noticing the saviors bringing in a car and lightning the place a blaze and I was confused did the saviours lock Maggie and Sasha's door and windows ?

Vagabundo

Don't forget one-dimensional.

There is still nothing more to Negan other than "Do as I say or I bat you with my stick." That's all there is to his character so far, at least in the TV show. It's quite frankly very boring.

Simon/Trevor is a more interesting villain at this point. We saw that he is in part motivated by a desire to impress his boss, when he wanted to take credit for getting the booze for Negan.

Dwight is the most interesting villain by far right now though. I love a villain that is filled with inner turmoil and doubt. It's actually interesting.

Well it is still the walking dead, B tier stuff, but its a step up as far as I'm concerned. I like Negen and crew. They do what they need to to keep the story going. There are times when they are a bit too prescient and that breaks the wall for me, but I like them better than the Wolves and even the Governor.

Well it is still the walking dead, B tier stuff, but its a step up as far as I'm concerned. I like Negen and crew. They do what they need to to keep the story going. There are times when they are a bit too prescient and that breaks the wall for me, but I like them better than the Wolves and even the Governor.

I agree.

TV Governor they tried to flesh out and have back story etc... but I just found him to be a bit weak. Comic Governor was a sick ass psycho.

The wolves I didn't really understand. They turned up like a few times and that's it? haha

neoism

It was another slow episode but not a bad one.

Nowhere near as terrible as the Carol/Morgan/Ezekiel one. That was "dropping your birthday cake right before you blow the candles out" level of disappointment.

I must admit I do cringe every time they say Jesus name. It just sounds so weird....

I like the Carl/Enid thing. Carl is nowhere near as bad an actor as the Gregory guy was. That guy was awful.

As much as I like Simon as a character and his delivery of lines, can't unsee Trevor.

Anyone know who next weeks will be about? if it isn't a spoiler etc....
I loved the Maggie stuff Lauren is a great actress but damn Carl the dude can't act for shit..... And Enid has long got on my nerves...

Vagabundo

I agree.

TV Governor they tried to flesh out and have back story etc... but I just found him to be a bit weak. Comic Governor was a sick ass psycho.

The wolves I didn't really understand. They turned up like a few times and that's it? haha

I must read the comics one day. Maybe when the TV show has died.

I loved the Maggie stuff Lauren is a great actress but damn Carl the dude can't act for shit..... And Enid has long got on my nerves...

I actually thought it was sweet them roller shating. It's cool to see kids be kids in th walking dead sometimes. Makes the whole thing more believable to me.

Decent episode although some of it dragged. I really thought the Trevor clone was going to say that they saw Maggie and Sasha during the zombie intrusion. Which they should have if they were watching. I guess they probably wouldn't have known who they were though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Decent episode although some of it dragged. I really thought the Trevor clone was going to say that they saw Maggie and Sasha during the zombie intrusion. Which they should have if they were watching. I guess they probably wouldn't have known who they were though.

Oh, he would know. He was there during the lineup. He gave Negan the pen when he was threatening to cut off Carl's arm. But who knows how far away they were during that zombie setup. Not really a huge deal, but I'd imagine he would recognize Maggie or Sasha up close if he saw them again.

Oh, he would know. He was there during the lineup. He gave Negan the pen when he was threatening to cut off Carl's arm. But who knows how far away they were during that zombie setup. Not really a huge deal, but I'd imagine he would recognize Maggie or Sasha up close if he saw them again.

True but that would depend on him being the one watching. Could have just been some subordinates that weren't there. And distance plays a part as you mentioned. The doubt made the scene more tense though!

masud

Banned
IMy thing with the roller skates is that they couldn't even skate. They were crawling around out there and made themselves absurdly vulnerable. They could have been attacked by walkers or people and they decided to go with reduced mobility? Like seriously think about trying to kill walkers when you can barely stand. It be one thing if they were doing that inside the walls but come on. It's sad too because Carl is becoming a decent character otherwise.

Vagabundo

My thing with the roller skates is that they couldn't even skate. The were crawling around out there and made themselves absurdly vulnerable. They could have been attacked by walkers or people and they decided to go with reduced mobility? Like seriously think about trying to kill walkers when you can barely stand. It be one thing if they were doing that inside the walls but come on? It's sad too because Carl is becoming a decent character otherwise.

Teens do stupid things all the time though.

I actually thought it was sweet them roller shating. It's cool to see kids be kids in th walking dead sometimes. Makes the whole thing more believable to me.

I'd agree but what are the odds of them just happening to find two pairs that are the right size to just slip on and roll away? haha

Then there's this perfect point;

IMy thing with the roller skates is that they couldn't even skate. They were crawling around out there and made themselves absurdly vulnerable. They could have been attacked by walkers or people and they decided to go with reduced mobility? Like seriously think about trying to kill walkers when you can barely stand. It be one thing if they were doing that inside the walls but come on. It's sad too because Carl is becoming a decent character otherwise.

dustyherb

The thing about Carl's hair....
I think I've cracked why it's so long and unkempt.

Remember in Season 1 when Lori was cutting Carl's hair and Shane comes over and says 'you oughtta try shaving, the day will come when you'll be begging for one of your momma's haircuts' or something like that.

Lori died..... From memory Carl had relatively short hair until right up to that point. It's been long since. That can't be coincidence.

Now it's probably something to do with the eye too.
His hair is long because eventually it's
going to cover his eye
. They told Chandler Riggs that he has to grow it out really long to be able to do that.

I get that people are afraid of Neegen but he puts himself in so many compromised situations that I have a hard time believing that he would be able to live so long and become so powerful in this world.

I mean, he just walked into the firing range of a kid holding a gun on one of his guys. Carl could have easily popped him in the head.

I don't understand how Rick and his guys are so fucked up after seeing two people die that they don't stand up to these people. The Saviors walk around like they are impervious to bullets, swarming the gates like a bunch of rubes. Rick could have ambushed the shit out of them.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I get that people are afraid of Neegen but he puts himself in so many compromised situations that I have a hard time believing that he would be able to live so long and become so powerful in this world.

I mean, he just walked into the firing range of a kid holding a gun on one of his guys. Carl could have easily popped him in the head.

I don't understand how Rick and his guys are so fucked up after seeing two people die that they don't stand up to these people. The Saviors walk around like they are impervious to bullets, swarming the gates like a bunch of rubes. Rick could have ambushed the shit out of them.

You don't have to spoiler discussion about an episode once it has aired. Only comic details and information from preview trailers and interviews.

As for why Rick isn't attacking, they're greatly outnumbered. Rick thought that The Saviors was just another band of outlaws. That's why he was so shook last year when he found out how big and organized they are. He could buck, but then the wrath of the rest of the group comes down on him. He isn't in a position to fight.

They even address this in the latest episode when Maggie speculates that their numbers might be in the hundreds. They literally just don't know. They don't know where the group's base is and they don't know how many there are.

You don't have to spoiler discussion about an episode once it has aired. Only comic details and information from preview trailers and interviews.

As for why Rick isn't attacking, they're greatly outnumbered. Rick thought that The Saviors was just another band of outlaws. That's why he was so shook last year when he found out how big and organized they are. He could buck, but then the wrath of the rest of the group comes down on him. He isn't in a position to fight.

They even address this in the latest episode when Maggie speculates that their numbers might be in the hundreds. They literally just don't know. They don't know where the group's base is and they don't know how many there are.

I mean, that's nice and all but that still doesn't address how a guy like Neegan would get this powerful while putting himself in these situations. If he walked into the firing range of Carl, he's probably done it countless times. In this world, swinging your dick around like you own the place would get you killed.

Unless Neegan is like the Dread Pirate Roberts, I just don't buy it. And sure they have a ton of people but they walk into camps with no attempt to secure them. A well planned ambush could have killed 50 people in that last episode and it could have killed their leader. What then?

Grizzlyjin

I mean, that's nice and all but that still doesn't address how a guy like Neegan would get this powerful while putting himself in these situations. If he walked into the firing range of Carl, he's probably done it countless times. In this world, swinging your dick around like you own the place would get you killed.

Unless Neegan is like the Dread Pirate Roberts, I just don't buy it. And sure they have a ton of people but they walk into camps with no attempt to secure them. A well planned ambush could have killed 50 people in that last episode and it could have killed their leader. What then?

Notice how the group was secure the first time they met, and then he made a big display. Yeah, Carl could have killed him. But he was putting a lot into Rick stopping that from happening because all hell would break loose and they all die.

I don't think Negan wants to worry about being killed. He wants to be in a position where he has these groups bent over a barrel so far that they wouldn't dare give me so much as a nasty look.

Say you and your 2 friends are walking down an alley and a group of 40 people rolls up on you. They stab one of your friends, but say that you can come out of this alive if you give up your wallets. Are you going to give up your wallet or try to fight 40 people? You know the threat isn't empty but you're also being given a way out. The path of least resistance.

I can't speak to Negan's past but once he had the numbers behind him, he became untouchable. Nobody can handle a fight that big.

They're all Negan. Killing the 'main' Negan will not do anything. This weeks episode displayed that with the Hilltop and the episode where Ezekiel spoke with another 'leader' with the Saviors. No one that is part of the Saviors wants to lose what they have now. Getting a LOT of stuff by 'service and intimidation'. more so intimidation and fear.

I don't think the simple, chop the head off the snake and the rest will die, works with humans. Especially with the saviors. Someone will always replace that role. (they have a system where everyone is Negan and mentally checked that way or, you get killed)

And when Negan was in Carls sights with a gun, he knew he couldn't kill him right there because then it would mean the slaughter of all of Alexandria. Everyone. That was my thought of why he couldn't shoot him right there. Maybe im wrong and if he shot Negan dead, all of the rest of the saviors would have put their guns down and would have said, "thank you, we are now free!" Running back to the wild like free animals.

Ambush wasn't going to happen since they showed up unexpectedly and not on the 'day' they said they would come for supplies. Also, the saviors have been watching Alexandria for a long time; according to Negan when he had them all on their knees. They are also more coordinated and larger than anything Rick and Co can imagine right now.

Key lines are said through each episode that indicate the leverage they hold on Every compound, who receive 'service' from the saviors.

Also on a different note - Only a handful of people are actual Killers in Alexandria. so that -6 (Glenn, Abraham, Maggie, Sasha, Heath + partner with him). I doubt they could come up with an ambush. Then the options were either to Waste Time setting up an ambush, hoping Negan would come on said exact day and wait, hoping to out number 100s with a dozen*. OR gather supplies to feed their own people and also prepare to give supplies so they have a little longer to live and not die.

Maybe i just dont understand what is going on in the show and im making up some bullshit.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49

Vagabundo

There are a few key players that the group would need to take out to have a chance against the Saviors. They could also turn Dwayne, he's vulnerable. If they get get some help from the other settlements they could really hurt the group. I think Ricks group really hurt them in the night ambush. Negean was super pissed about that.

Notice how the group was secure the first time they met, and then he made a big display. Yeah, Carl could have killed him. But he was putting a lot into Rick stopping that from happening because all hell would break loose and they all die.

I don't think Negan wants to worry about being killed. He wants to be in a position where he has these groups bent over a barrel so far that they wouldn't dare give me so much as a nasty look.

Say you and your 2 friends are walking down an alley and a group of 40 people rolls up on you. They stab one of your friends, but say that you can come out of this alive if you give up your wallets. Are you going to give up your wallet or try to fight 40 people? You know the threat isn't empty but you're also being given a way out. The path of least resistance.

I can't speak to Negan's past but once he had the numbers behind him, he became untouchable. Nobody can handle a fight that big.

Negan doesn't need to worry about being killed now but he wasn't always a guy with a 500 man army. He probably started off as a guy with a band of merry assholes that raped and pillaged. I just don't know how a guy that is such a big asshole could possibly rally a group of people together from that tiny bands of outlaws to where they are now. I think he would have been killed because in *this* world, you get killed for stepping on peoples' toes.

To your question, if I was in an alley with one friend and 40 people rolled up on me, I would give them my wallet because I have too much to live for. If I'm the walking dead and some asshole tries to put the thumbscrews on me, I'm lashing out.

Negan doesn't need to worry about being killed now but he wasn't always a guy with a 500 man army. He probably started off as a guy with a band of merry assholes that raped and pillaged. I just don't know how a guy that is such a big asshole could possibly rally a group of people together from that tiny bands of outlaws to where they are now. I think he would have been killed because in *this* world, you get killed for stepping on peoples' toes.

To your question, if I was in an alley with one friend and 40 people rolled up on me, I would give them my wallet because I have too much to live for. If I'm the walking dead and some asshole tries to put the thumbscrews on me, I'm lashing out.

Daryl also lost it in the premiere and we all know how that went down.

Also if a group of 40 saviors rolled up on you the chances of questioning you are slim since you wouldn't really be worth the time of day. Unless it looks like you are part of a community, then questioning would be wise. Past episode spoiler:
Using the episode with Carol driving off alone as a source that saviors will question you if you are alone and look like part of a community.

Also I'd just like to say even if Negan was killed it's not like the Saviors will suddenly disperse. There has to be some form of Hierarchy. His right hand man would probably take over and kill the community of the person that killed Negan. There is really no positive for the person that kills Negan so why even try? In fact you would probably lose more since you just confirmed your death and your communities death.

FUTURE EPISODE POTENTIAL SPOILER:
If Carl got on that truck for the reason I'm thinking (killing Negan) it would be interesting to see what Negan will do to Alexandria since fucking with Negan never brings a net positive.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

I was discussing the exact same thing last night; they've never been on skates, they can't skate, if the walkers come, they can't run into the woods. This is a very stupid idea. And not stupid on the level of "let's go up on the watertower, get drunk and high and OMG how are we going to get down?" kind of stupid, but more like "let's go up the watertower, get drunk and high, and see who can lean forward the most without falling" kind of stupid.

Nameless

If you think Carl can "act", I wont follow anything you say after that. He's shit.

He's no young DiCaprio out there or anything, no, but the performance hasn't gotten in the way of my enjoyment of the character. At least not yet.

My boy will be letting the violence do the talking for him going forward anyway.

Surfinn

I'd agree but what are the odds of them just happening to find two pairs that are the right size to just slip on and roll away? haha

Then there's this perfect point;
Meh I don't get this criticism. It's possible that they could have found two pairs.. And it's not like they fit perfectly. They could have been too small or large but they put em on anyway. I actually thought it was a decent moment considering all either actor does now is bitch about something or pout.

I think the show should be actively shooting for similar moments because the characters have become pretty goddamn lifeless. I was trying to put my finger on what I hate about the main characters on the show now and a lot of it has to do with their inability to let themselves feel happy under any circumstances. The walking dead video game does this really well (joking and laughing in between shitty situations). Exhibiting any type of humanity reminds us of why we care about the main characters and their plight.

I'll take another rollerskate scene any day than the usual menial shit we see weekly. It's grating.

Meh I don't get this criticism. It's possible that they could have found two pairs.. And it's not like they fit perfectly. They could have been too small or large but they put em on anyway. I actually thought it was a decent moment considering all either actor does now is bitch about something or pout.

I think the show should be actively shooting for similar moments because the characters have become pretty goddamn lifeless. I was trying to put my finger on what I hate about the main characters on the show now and a lot of it has to do with their inability to let themselves feel happy under any circumstances. The walking dead video game does this really well (joking and laughing in between shitty situations). Exhibiting any type of humanity reminds us of why we care about the main characters and their plight.

I'll take another rollerskate scene any day than the usual menial shit we see weekly. It's grating.
Yup. This is why to me Abraham was a bigger loss than Glenn.

He's no young DiCaprio out there or anything, no, but the performance hasn't gotten in the way of my enjoyment of the character. At least not yet.

My boy will be letting the violence do the talking for him going forward anyway.
He shows zero emotion. No single facial expression.

"yea dude like, lets go kill negan man. durr."

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the comics when Carl sneaks to Negans stronghold, Jesus isn't there, is he?

JoeNut

Lashley use spoiler tags please.

My bet is on the tiger eating Negan :D

Are we near the mid season break or are there more episodes after next week?

Grizzlyjin

Are we near the mid season break or are there more episodes after next week?

There are 3 more episodes in this half of the season and then a two month break.

He shows zero emotion. No single facial expression.

"yea dude like, lets go kill negan man. durr."

The whole point of Carl is how do you raise a child in a world where death, murder, rape, pillaging and threats are the way of life? He's growing up with these things being normalized. The other characters got to live in the old world. Carl didnt. His experiences of the world are all negative and violent. So those things don't bother him any more. He doesn't have emotions at this point. This is the only way he knows. All that matters is survival.

That's fine with me. Carl is a sociopath. Only thing keeping him in check is his father, who now has lost even that ability.
The whole point of Carl is how do you raise a child in a world where death, murder, rape, pillaging and threats are the way of life? He's growing up with these things being normalized. The other characters got to live in the old world. Carl didnt. His experiences of the world are all negative and violent. So those things don't bother him any more. He doesn't have emotions at this point. This is the only way he knows. All that matters is survival.
Yeah I'm not too worked up about it and the logic makes sense. I'm just commenting on his acting.

LaNaranja

L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49

I was ready to completely drop the show after the bullshit cliffhanger and the depressing season premier made me need a break. I just marathoned through episodes 2-5 this week and holy shit they have all been fantastic. I come in here expecting to see other people to share my enthusiasm but nope, still the same damn Walking Dead OT filled with people endlessly proclaiming everything to be shit. :/

I really think the season 7 premier should have been the season finale for 6. They should have opened with episodes 2-5. It has been great seeing a sense of hope build back up. This has been one of the strongest stretches of episodes the show has ever had. Sasha, Carl, and Ezekiel are the current GOAT characters on the show.

I think this is why I love Ezekiel hamming it up so much.

I was ready to completely drop the show after the bullshit cliffhanger and the depressing season premier made me need a break. I just marathoned through episodes 2-5 this week and holy shit they have all been fantastic. I come in here expecting to see other people to share my enthusiasm but nope, still the same damn Walking Dead OT filled with people endlessly proclaiming everything to be shit. :/

I really think the season 7 premier should have been the season finale for 6. They should have opened with episodes 2-5. It has been great seeing a sense of hope build back up. This has been one of the strongest stretches of episodes the show has ever had. Sasha, Carl, and Ezekiel are the current GOAT characters on the show.

I think this is why I love Ezekiel hamming it up so much.

Opinions and all, but Carl?

Ep 2 is my favorite this season so far, but frankly Carol and Morgan have been my favorite characters for a little while. The "amaaaazing!" while she was talking with Ezekiel followed by the "are you shitting me?" reaction when she was alone with Morgan was just perfect.

Can't wait til she's the Queen.

Fuck Rick. He's a pussy.

Carl would've shot Negan and damn the consequences. Further reason why I think the Hilltop ep should have preceded the Alexandria ep and someone else should have been holding the gun.

The drops aren't as bad when you look at the live+3 and live+7 numbers. Episode 3 which had 11.7 jumped up to 17.2 after the live+7 numbers were counted. More and more people are just not watching live.

I'm assuming that live+ means people that watch the episode online after it aired on TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom