• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

Ha, Gale with a total fucking cop out answer for Carl. "He couldn't kill an innocent to get to Negan." But mowed down two less than a minute before.

Amikami

Banned
90 minutes, nothing happened.

How was Westworld?

I peronally wasn't a fan of the episode and thought it could have been done far better. But I'm not blind to character and intent development.

• Carl and Negan's odd relationship
  • A closer look at the Sanctuary,
  • General character development
  • Plot advancement: Michonne, Negan in Alexandria and liking it, Rick finding a stockpile of supplies Negan doesn't have to know anything about.
I agree the episode was boring as shit, but that isn't the same as nothing happened.

I peronally wasn't a fan of the episode and thought it could have been done far better. But I'm not blind to character and intent development.

• Carl and Negan's odd relationship
  • A closer look at the Sanctuary,
  • General character development
  • Plot advancement: Michonne, Negan in Alexandria and liking it, Rick finding a stockpile of supplies Negan doesn't have to know anything about.
I agree the episode was boring as shit, but that isn't the same as nothing happened.

Yup, I thought it was merely decent. It was still an important ep.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I thought it was a good episode. Then again I just love seeing Negan. I really wonder whose dying next week.

Watching that now. On like ep 5 though
marathon that shit asap

also as for this episode. Haven't seen it yet but critics seem to be giving it good reviews, even ones that don't usually. Sounds like it was a good episode.

Probably even more so for comic book fans since it seems like we got
carl/negan groundwork in right?

BFIB

marathon that shit asap

also as for this episode. Haven't seen it yet but critics seem to be giving it good reviews, even ones that don't usually. Sounds like it was a good episode.

You do, I shit one one main aspect, but there's a lot of good groundwork laid in this episode.

BFIB

No it's not. Carl had two choices: take the shot and get everyone else killed or not take the shot and keep people alive.
Then why not surrender when he's spotted? He killed a few of Negans people, his goal was to kill Negan at any cost.

If that's the goal, then it is what it is. But it came across poorly scripted.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
marathon that shit asap

In context to your spoilers
Yes, it was pretty good. I thought that some of the stuff didn't work though because Carl in the show is much older than Carl in the comics.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Content Roundup – Episode 707: “Sing Me a Song”

4hOO1u8.jpg

AMC Inside The Walking Dead:

• The Making of Episode 707: “Sing Me a Song” - AMC
  • Inside Episode 707: “Sing Me a Song” - AMC
  • Preview of Episode 708, “Hearts Still Beating” - AMC | International
  • Sneak Peek of Episode 708, “Hearts Still Beating” - AMC | International
Producer & Cast Interviews:

Critic Reviews:

Talking Dead's Inside The Dead

• Chris mentions how Jesus just laughed when Carl tricked him. Chandler says Carl was ready to die to kill Negan and his scene with Enid was a goodbye. Gale says Carl isn’t evil and he thought about killing more Saviors then didn’t.
  • Gale says she worked with Chandler before The Walking Dead. She says they worked on The Wronged Man. She says she always knew how fantastic he was but the range of emotions he showed in this episode was amazing.
  • Chandler Says working with Jeffrey is great since he’s so cool but I have to hate him as Carl. He says it’s easy to do scenes with him and really fun even though he makes him cry.

PLEASE SPOILER TAG ALL PREVIEW/PROMO AND GRAPHIC NOVEL DISCUSSION. REVIEW THE OP FOR COMPLETE THREAD RULES ON SPOILERS.

Amikami

Banned
Then why not surrender when he's spotted? He killed a few of Negans people, his goal was to kill Negan at any cost.

This is my biggest pet peeve with the episode. I would have been the first to say going in to kill Negan is dumb as shit and gonna get Alexandria nowhere but in a heap of trouble. But hell he went through the trouble of getting there, grabbed a gun to do it, killed two of Negan's men, and then not take the shot because Negan held a guy up as a shield. It felt horribly forced. Carl came off as a huge imbecilic who bit off way more than he was ever even willing to chew.

So he fails his mission completely ends up breaking quickly, then has the nerves to try and smack talk Negan about how he can't kill anyone, leading Negan to go back to Alexandria, Cuddle his baby sister and declare that killing him and his dad isn't such a bad idea after all.

Basically, Carl was all bark and no bite and certainly caused more trouble for the family and Rick than they were already in. It was all very unfulfilling.

On the plus side, maybe Negan being all up in his house with his kids will get Rick to lose his shit now that he's found some new artillery and Daryl is free.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol holy shit
"I'm about 50% more into you now"

I was thinking he was gonna say "I deserved that." But then he went there and I'm like "holy shit."

That's not to mention he came out and yelled "NONE OF YOU HAVE TO DIE" when he's going against a goddamn army. As soon as he killed that person that was alerted, he was game-overed if he didn't have any plot armor.

I was thinking he was gonna say "I deserved that." But then he went there and I'm like "holy shit."

That's what I thought he was going to say too lol.

So he fails his mission completely ends up breaking quickly, then has the nerves to try and smack talk Negan about how he can't kill anyone, leading Negan to go back to Alexandria, Cuddle his baby sister and declare that killing him and his dad isn't such a bad idea after all.

This hasn't happened, at least not yet. He definitely hasn't broken.

I do agree though that my biggest annoyance with the ep was one second Carl was fine killing two Saviors to get to Negan even if he died doing it, then a second later after just doing it when faced with Negan in front of him suddenly didn't want to kill a couple more Saviors anymore that Negan was standing behind. From Carl's POV it's not like it was just Negan that day, these other people surrounded and attacked them too and watched Negan do it.

So it was such a small tight scene and therefore felt too quick for him to change his mind, other than sloppy writing. If he didn't have to kill the other two first then maybe I could see it since then the realization that he'd have to kill a few other Saviors to shoot Negan would have hit him for the first time.

Amikami

Banned
I do agree though that my biggest annoyance with the ep was one second Carl was fine killing two Saviors to get to Negan even if he died doing it, then a second later after just doing it when faced with Negan in front of him suddenly didn't want to kill a couple more Saviors anymore that Negan was standing behind. From Carl's POV it's not like it was just Negan that day, these other people surrounded and attacked them too and watched Negan do it.

So it was such a small tight scene and therefore felt too quick for him to change his mind, other than sloppy writing. If he didn't have to kill the other two first then maybe I could see it since then the realization that he'd have to kill a few other Saviors to shoot Negan would have hit him for the first time.

Oh I agree that he hasn't broken in the sense of the way Negan likes to use the word broken. What I meant by breaking is that Carl came in like a tough guy, and then looked pretty scared. Yeah, The crying at his eye thing really didn't bother me. he's sensitive about it and I get it, but fidgeting as he was singing he looked pretty damn nervous, and then for it to be followed by Carl again acting like a tough guy, to be followed by Carl again following Negan around like a lap dog and sitting quietly and obediently even as he kissed and bounced his sister. At the most, I think I would have felt better about the writing if they just had Carl look angry as he watched everything, but Carl just looked on. It just felt really badly executed.

kevin1025

Banned
wasn't there a thread recently about how the ratings have been the lowest since a few seasons ago?

There was indeed. But I imagine these episodes have been edited since at least September, they're deep into the second half at this point in post-production. The decision to make the multiple supersized episodes was probably made before the premiere.

15306090_1892254954331486_6699991511079059456_n.jpg

I'm glad this wasn't forgotten about. It was hinted at in S6 that Carl feels extremely self-conscious about the way he looks and Rick kinda just blew it off at the time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, that's grosser than the comic counterpart. Especially since in the comics it blows part of his eye socket/skull off.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
enjoyed the episode.

but damn they need to end better, this show completely lacks suspenseful endings that make the wait for the next ep unbearable.

NYR

This show is exhausting. It's an effort to get though. Inexcusable for these episodes to be 90 minutes, just piss poor editing and AMC selling ad time. Might throw this on the heap like I did with Fear.

NYR

Ok. So Carl had a full on kill shot and didn't take it.

This is Glenn dumpster stupid.
The show isn't about good storytelling or strategic use of plot and hasn't been in quite some time. It's selling ads at this point. It's just a shitty ATM machine for AMC and we keep tuning in for this garbage. Really disappointed by this season. Even Negan is turning shitty with the same diatribe and las se faire attitude all the time, he wasn't like that all the time in the comics, the fact he can't swear really de-emphasizes he is a loose pitbull.

OrionX

Just watched it. Yeah... I don't really know how to justify Carl's stupidity.

He goes on a suicide mission to kill Negan, guns down several people, then just stands there as Negan chats away. I mean sure, you could argue that killing Negan puts everyone he cares about at risk of retribution, but clearly the time for second thoughts had passed, no? lol

I think Negan's plot armor is really going to start bugging me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

BBboy20

He's serious
It's really hard to tell rather he's fucking with everyone's mind to stay in control or he actually believes the shit he says. You're telling me he really believes in all of this?

Didn't we just have a story last week where Negan killed every male over 10 years old because the group crossed him? If so, based on that evidence, Rick and Carl should probably be dead.
I figure he saw an large number of women and decided to do the whole Amazon route to ensure that group doesn't repopulate for a good long time.

OrionX

He's a child who isn't as tough as he thinks he is.

I considered that, but when you know what he's been through, and you've just seen him take out a few other guys without hesitation, it's harder to buy into that. But yeah, I guess you could say that he just lost his nerve when he had to look the man in the eye.

I think I'm just getting tired of seeing everyone instantly start pissing their pants the moment Negan walks into a room and flashes a smile. lol

LifEndz

I wish someone would tell Jeffrey Dean Morgan to stop swaying and bouncing in tune with every word he says. He's got the posture of a drunken sailer on a ship at sea.

fauxtrot

Banned
I haven't read the Negan arc since it was released, but Christ, has the wives thing always been this creepy? (comic spoilers)
It's incredibly rapey, which doesn't work well on TV, makes it hard to see him ever ending up as a redeemable character of any kind, and will really muddle up the whole "we do not rape" scene if they ever wanted to do a version of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom